Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Veteran's day

6 37.50%
  • Climate change

10 62.50%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slow doomsday with questionable plan B pattern combo

Last edited by kinda; 02-13-2019 at 10:13 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Laser Brains View Post
    With the printing of Gigantosaurus, Thrashing Brontodon and Steel Leaf Champion the deck has evolved from good to very competitive. Anyway, give it a few play tests if you are interested and let me know what you think.

Winter Maze
    Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    With veteran explorer I know that I 100% will not enjoy a 30 minute grindfest against someone who can barely afford dual lands and believes that their deck can cast a 10 mana 8/8.

Re: Slow doomsday with questionable plan B pattern combo

Quote Originally Posted by kinda View Post
    I need a green sun's zenith target that can draw a card the next turn
    Abzan Beastmaster draws at your upkeep if your opponent has no creatures.
    Pyknite draws at the very next upkeep, though I assume you want to draw at your turn.
    You could use Feral Prowler and sac it with Therapy. There's also Wall of Mulch and Portcullis Vine.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

-rob

Quote Originally Posted by Glass House View Post
    Abzan Beastmaster draws at your upkeep if your opponent has no creatures.
    Pyknite draws at the very next upkeep, though I assume you want to draw at your turn.
    You could use Feral Prowler and sac it with Therapy. There's also Wall of Mulch and Portcullis Vine.
    Thanks! Either wall of mulch or feral prowler could work! Mulch works best with doomsday (to draw a card right after playing doomsday) and pattern I think.
    With the printing of Gigantosaurus, Thrashing Brontodon and Steel Leaf Champion the deck has evolved from good to very competitive. Anyway, give it a few play tests if you are interested and let me know what you think.

Winter Maze
    With veteran explorer I know that I 100% will not enjoy a 30 minute grindfest against someone who can barely afford dual lands and believes that their deck can cast a 10 mana 8/8.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

wall of mulch does look good for this. i like yavimaya elder because you can get effectively 3 cards for 2 mana and you can choose the order so you know which card you will draw if you had made a doomsday pile. i guess it depends on what you plan on doing with it.

i'd highly recommend playing some non-zero number of jace, the mind sculptors. if you can land a jace turn 2 (with some nut play with veteran explorer), then you have an easy turn 3 kill with doomsday assuming you can cast it.
    -rob

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    wall of mulch does look good for this. i like yavimaya elder because you can get effectively 3 cards for 2 mana and you can choose the order so you know which card you will draw if you had made a doomsday pile. i guess it depends on what you plan on doing with it.

i'd highly recommend playing some non-zero number of jace, the mind sculptors. if you can land a jace turn 2 (with some nut play with veteran explorer), then you have an easy turn 3 kill with doomsday assuming you can cast it.
    Jace does seem quite good...hm...

Winter Maze

Slow Doomsday should be ClimateChange.dec, if you need to go your name game.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Drawing a card the next turn can be accomplished by Mishra's/Urza's Bauble. It's clunky because it isn't tutor-able with GSZ and you would need a set of them or another tutor like Trinket Mage. You could go a little deeper on the Wall of Mulch plan with Wall of Roots as a mana accelerator that can be sacrificed to draw a card with Wall of Mulch.

Is the goal of the 'draw next step' creature just to dig further in your Doomsday pile? Thought Scour can do that really efficiently or in the old days I would set up a chain with Predict as the top card of my Doomsday pile. I used to play a non-storm Doomsday list that played Shelldock/Emrakul and then a Predict pile that used Lab Maniac (Probe was my draw of choice, now it would have to be something like Street Wraith or your GSZ target.) If you are interested in the piles I made I can share. It was very focused so I didn't have to come up with piles on the fly.

EDIT: Glaring omission is Dryad Arbor for t1 acceleration with GSZ.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

May 2016
    Austin, TX

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Slow Doomsday should be ClimateChange.dec, if you need to go your name game.
    No love for Veteran's Day? :D

May 2014
    Winnipeg, Mb

I think I’d prefer lab man over Emmy. Shelldock isle as part of a win condition feels sketchy to me especially when you need to untapped it.
    The Parfait Meta-Game

Quote Originally Posted by gngpostalsrvc View Post
    No love for Veteran's Day? :D
    Plenty but I don't get it

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by Weapon X View Post
    I think I’d prefer lab man over Emmy. Shelldock isle as part of a win condition feels sketchy to me especially when you need to untapped it.
    Cloud of Faeries
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Is Cancer

Jul 2014

You probably know about it; but there was a Tin-Fins Doomsday hybrid that used TinFins G1 and sided into Doomsday; the idea being that people side in a bunch of Tin-Fins and Storm hate; then get blown out by a hardcasted emmy G2.

Not sure how you'd look it up, but if you're looking for Doomsday + transformation; that seems like a great plan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nestalim View Post
    Wrong. Gideon Emblem protect you from losing and you can even open your binder and slam some cards on the board, not even the HJ can DQ you now.

I definitely don't think I've found the best creature/gsz package yet but I'll try this tomorrow. Don't think I'll be able to find a words of Wilding tomorrow so I'll use lab man as suggested.

I liked climate change the name but Veteran's day edged it out.

@safety what were your piles?

@tescrin I've tried a version of that before but struggled with the mañabase.

Winter Maze

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Both were pass-the-turn piles, which experienced Doomsday players tried to avoid if possible. I am also admittedly not a great magic player, so I was trying to make straightforward piles. I still made tons of mistakes.

Lab-Man Win (need UB1 to win)
    1. Predict
    2. Lab Maniac
    3. Street Wraith/Edge of Autumn
    4. Street Wraith/Edge of Autumn
    5. Unearth

Predict Lab-Man into grave, draw Street Wraith x2. Cycle Street Wraith to draw Unearth, cast unearth to bring back Lab Man, Cycle Street Wraith to win. Alternatively Edge of Autumn can work with 2 spare lands to sacrifice (if life total is too low) or some combination of the 2. I was using Gitaxian Probes at the time.

Emrakul Win (need UU1 to win)
    1. Brainstorm
    2. Shelldock Isle
    3. Emrakul
    4. Cloud of Faeries
    5. Lab Maniac

Brainstorm into Isle/Emmy/Cloud of Faeries, put Emrakul + random card back. Play Shelldock Isle, hiding Emrakul. Cast Cloud of Fairies, untapping Isle + blue-producing land, cast Emrakul. You should have 2 cards left in your library. You take an extra turn with Emrakul, attack. Next turn you have 1 card left in library to draw, attack FTW. If I was unable to win through 2 combat phases (Stifle on the extra turn or some other interaction that disrupted me) Lab Maniac can win. If you already have a Brainstorm in hand with this pile you can just substitute a Street Wraith/Edge of Autumn to give velocity.

My setup was wildly different, fyi. I was playing Dark Petition, Lotus Petals, Ponder, Thoughtseize, Spell Pierce, and maindeck Pithing Needles (to protect Shelldock Isle.) The sticky situations were when I needed a Needle in the Doomsday pile, which meant I needed a Gitaxian Probe in hand or a Brainstorm with a spare blue mana.
    Brainstorm Realist

May 2014
    Winnipeg, Mb

Well aware of cloud of faeries. I just find it easier to win with lab man as once it’s in play you can instant speed win. That gives a lot of play for winning a game.
    The Parfait Meta-Game

Sep 2011

Doomsday without passing the turn traditionally relied on free cantrips, especially Sensei's Divining Top and Gitaxian Probe. With both Probe and Top banned, Doomsday got significantly worse.

Street Wraith helps, but you should also be ready to build the deck to win most of the time with pass-the-turn piles.

Does this deck want more maindeck brainstorms to help find Doomsday/Pattern/whatever you need? Playing less than 4 Brainstorms in a combo deck with blue mana seems wrong.

0-3 drop. Deck is garbage.

Winter Maze

Quote Originally Posted by kinda View Post
    0-3 drop. Deck is garbage.
    Another reason to call it climate change. Since we're all gonna die to our literal garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Another reason to call it climate change. Since we're all gonna die to our literal garbage.
    Did you vote in the poll?

Winter Maze

Thread Information