Page 105 of 332 FirstFirst ... 55595101102103104105106107108109115155205 ... LastLast
Results 2,081 to 2,100 of 6623

Thread: 4 Card Blind

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Re: 4 Card Blind

Quote Originally Posted by Tylert View Post
    Did you receive my (Bad) deck?
    I did. Waiting for the last one still.
    Or should I just post? We're a day late already.

EDIT: I think I'll go have lunch and post decks afterwards.
    Join the 4 Card Blind competition!

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

We're complete.

DECKS FOR ROUND 4 OF SEASON 6: RUSSIAN LIFE POKER

1. Asthereal (TO): City of Traitors, Lion's Eye Diamond, Empyrial Archangel, Unburial Rites, life bid: 4
    2. Wrath of Pie: Karakas, Lotus Petal, Serra Ascendant, Gerrard's Verdict, life bid: 30
    3. alphastryk: Leyline of Singularity, Karakas, Hickory Woodlot, Loxodon Smiter, life bid: 30
    4. Moosedog: Chancellor of the dross, Chancellor of the dross, Chancellor of the dross, Bottomless vault, life bid: 30
    5. H: Thalia, Guardian of Thraben, Reckless Waif, Elvish Spirit Guide, Cavern of Souls, life bid: 2
    6. GoblinSmashmaster: Karakas, Student of Warfare, Serra Ascendant, Gut Shot, life bid: 30
    7. silkster: Force of Negation, Snapback, Pyrokinesis, Chancellor of the Forge, life bid: 30
    8. Tylert: Lotus bloom, Lotus bloom, Barren glory, Noxious revival, life bid: 30
    9. FTW: City of Traitors, Lotus Petal, Dark Deal, Nether Spirit, life bid: 2

Please post your scores and cross-check with the opponents.
    I'll update the Google Spreadsheet for the season, so you can enter your scores there as well: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Asthereal scores for round complicated everybody needs extra time but the TO created his deck in an hour. This is going to go poorly.

1. Asthereal (TO): City of Traitors, Lion's Eye Diamond, Empyrial Archangel, Unburial Rites, life bid: 4
    Hey, I used the tech! Archangel will suck up damage and I will survive on 4 life! Whoo! (I hope.)
    2. Wrath of Pie: Karakas, Lotus Petal, Serra Ascendant, Gerrard's Verdict, life bid: 30
    I make the Archangel. You make the Ascendant. Archangel eats the damage from Ascendant but you gain a life per turn. We draw with you on 17*10^823458923235789252346895 life. I tried to find the infinity symbol, but alt+236 actually gave me ư, which is not what I was hoping for. And I'm too lazy to try and find the bloody thing in a word doc. 2-2
    3. alphastryk: Leyline of Singularity, Karakas, Hickory Woodlot, Loxodon Smiter, life bid: 30
    Hey, my tech works! Archangel has shroud and beats the Smiter. Cool tech though, I hope it works for you! 6-0
    4. Moosedog: Chancellor of the dross, Chancellor of the dross, Chancellor of the dross, Bottomless vault, life bid: 30
    LOL! Maybe I can... oh, I died again. 0-6 (edit: maybe 1x Chancellor and 2x Gut Shot was stronger. People who try to play around a Chancellor, like me, will start with 4 or 5 life, and two Gut Shots can also double as creature removal, while the second and third Chancellor will probably just sit in your hand? Not sure, but I for sure forgot about the idea of playing multiple Chancellors, which is kinda silly of me... )
    5. H: Thalia, Guardian of Thraben, Reckless Waif, Elvish Spirit Guide, Cavern of Souls, life bid: 2
    City of Traitors allows me to fight through Thalia. Archangel comes a turn later but will still win it for me. 6-0
    6. GoblinSmashmaster: Karakas, Student of Warfare, Serra Ascendant, Gut Shot, life bid: 30
    Archangel vs. Ascendant again, but you brought backup, which is illegal. Actually it's not, but it feels illegal. Like going to fight with one of the kids on the schoolyard, but he brings three friends and you're alone. That's also not technically illegal, but still. Anyway, smart of you to bring your friends. It's only a game. 0-6
    7. silkster: Force of Negation, Snapback, Pyrokinesis, Chancellor of the Forge, life bid: 30
    Force counters my something or other and the "raggende goblin" kills me. 0-6
    8. Tylert: Lotus bloom, Lotus bloom, Barren glory, Noxious revival, life bid: 30
    Blooms on my barren soul turn out to be rather poisonous. 0-6
    Even a fever can't stop this man from sending in a strong deck. 0-6

Total: 14 points?

EDIT: No one considered to bid 29 life to troll the slow decks? Really? That was my first thought before I came up with Empyrial Archangel.

Sep 2011

1. Asthereal (TO): OTP Dark Deal takes out your hand. WW 6-0
    2. Wrath of Pie: OTP Dark Deal takes out your hand. WW 6-0
    3. alphastryk: OTP Dark Deal takes out Karakas but you still get Smiter and get to attack before Nether Spirit returns. LL 0-6
    4. Moosedog: Chancellor kills me. LL 0-6
    5. H: OTP Dark Deal takes out your hand. OTD Thalia takes me. WL 3-3
    6. GoblinSmashmaster: OTP you Gut Shot me to 1, then Dark Deal takes out your hand. WW 6-0
    7. silkster: OTP you Force my Dark Deal and the token kills me. LL 0-6
    8. Tylert: OTP Dark Deal takes out your hand. WW 6-0

27 points (9 wins, 7 losses)

Interesting format. There are enough Papers to hose Rock that Rock isn't degenerate.

1. Asthereal (TO): City of Traitors, Lion's Eye Diamond, Empyrial Archangel, Unburial Rites, life bid: 4 DD
    3. alphastryk: Leyline of Singularity, Karakas, Hickory Woodlot, Loxodon Smiter, life bid: 30 DD
    4. Moosedog: Chancellor of the dross, Chancellor of the dross, Chancellor of the dross, Bottomless vault, life bid: 30 LL - I was wondering who would play Chancellor of the Dross.
    5. H: Thalia, Guardian of Thraben, Reckless Waif, Elvish Spirit Guide, Cavern of Souls, life bid: 2 WW
    6. GoblinSmashmaster: Karakas, Student of Warfare, Serra Ascendant, Gut Shot, life bid: 30 DL
    7. silkster: Force of Negation, Snapback, Pyrokinesis, Chancellor of the Forge, life bid: 30 DL
    8. Tylert: Lotus bloom, Lotus bloom, Barren glory, Noxious revival, life bid: 30 WW
    9. FTW: City of Traitors, Lotus Petal, Dark Deal, Nether Spirit, life bid: 2 LL

3w6d = 15 points

Ironically, I think Chancellor of the Dross would have been better than Verdict. Although that does make me wonder why Hymn is banned, when Verdict is a better version...
    Last edited by Wrath of Pie; 04-30-2020 at 06:51 PM.

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

From a deck design standpoint this might have been my favorite round. Surprised how many folks bid 30 life, I was very afraid to do that without a guaranteed way to beat the Dark Deal deck.

You are always on the play, and my leyline / Karakas engine cannot defeat your shroud creature - I wish I'd thought of this variation of the Unbural Rites deck. LL

0-6

I couldn't find a way to accomplish anything better than draws for both of us because my Leyline enables your Karakas as well so neither of us can ever keep a threat down, and you can't ever Verdict away my Karakas. DD

2-2

This is me

Chancellor is a really good play, and a lot of my decks would have lost hard to the reveals. I think these play out the same no matter who is on the play - I don't die to the pregame life drain, and Leyline / Karakas keeps you from ever having a guy in play. WW

6-0

You're always on the play, but with the Leyline Karakas engine it doesn't matter which threat you play, they always end up back in your hand, and Thalia can't even be recast. WW

6-0

The Karakas mirror is making me less excited about the Leyline combo - its costing me a card but my opponents get it too for free. Didn't think that through. I can't find a way this isn't always a draw due to that combo. DD

2-2

This is a really cool deck, super efficient use of resources. Leyline / Karakas takes care of your token, and I'm later able to use my Karakas to save my guy from Pyrokinesis and replay it. Snapback can bounce my guy again however, and then I can't replay it since my Woodlot is all used up. Seems like another round of draws. DD

2-2

I can't meaningfully interact with your combo, and I can't race it. LL

0-6

Hey this looks a lot like some of my decks! If you cast dark deal, my Smiter kills you before you have a blocker, and if you don't you never produce a creature. WW

6-0

Total: 24 points

For fun, here's the rest of my deck creations that I ended up not choosing:

Bayou, Dark Ritual, Dark Deal, Basking Rootwalla, life bid: 1.
    Loses to Force of Negation, Gut Shot, any Loxodon Smiter effect, any deck with Nether Spirit or Emrakul

Swamp, Dark Ritual, Dark Deal, Nether Spirit, life bid: 1.
    Loses to Force of Negation, Gut Shot, two or more Loxodon Smiter effects, any deck with more than 1 Nether spirit or with Emrakul, and any free graveyard hate (leyline, faerie macabre, surgical etc)

Iona, Shield of Emeria, Lion’s Eye Diamond, Unburial Rites, Karakas, life bid: 1.
    Loses to Gut Shot, Force of Negation, any free graveyard hate, and Karakas

Sphinx of the Steel Wind, Lion’s Eye Diamond, Unburial Rites, Karakas, life bid: 1.
    Loses to Gut Shot, Force of Negation, any free graveyard hate, lightning bolt and friends, and white removal spells like Path to Exile

Badlands, Death’s Shadow, Death’s Shadow, Lightning Bolt, life bid: 4.
    The best “fair” deck I could come up with

Leyline of Singularity, Force of Negation, Karakas, Student of Warfare, life bid: 30
    A simple “control” deck

I didn't consider Chancellor of the Dross in my calculations, and I missed Empyrial Archangel as the Unburial Rites target in those decks. Definitely a cool round.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Quote Originally Posted by Wrath of Pie View Post
    ... that does make me wonder why Hymn is banned, when Verdict is a better version...
    Maybe it should be. I felt it was more limiting, it being two colours, but perhaps in Legacy that doesn't matter as much.

What do you guys think? Ban Gerrard's Verdict as well?

DD is worth 2 points, not 1.

Quote Originally Posted by alphastryk View Post

Loses to Force of Negation, Gut Shot, any Loxodon Smiter effect, any deck with Nether Spirit or Emrakul

Loses to Force of Negation, Gut Shot, two or more Loxodon Smiter effects, any deck with more than 1 Nether spirit or with Emrakul, and any free graveyard hate (leyline, faerie macabre, surgical etc)
    Dark Deal requires a low starting life total to be effective, and I figured the threat of Chancellor of the Dross would discourage it.

Iona, Shield of Emeria, Lion’s Eye Diamond, Unburial Rites, Karakas, life bid: 1.
    Loses to Gut Shot, Force of Negation, any free graveyard hate, and Karakas

Sphinx of the Steel Wind, Lion’s Eye Diamond, Unburial Rites, Karakas, life bid: 1.
    Loses to Gut Shot, Force of Negation, any free graveyard hate, lightning bolt and friends, and white removal spells like Path to Exile
    The ultimate flaw here is that you really want to be on the play, but Chancellor makes low bids worse, so finding the right balance is tricky.

Badlands, Death’s Shadow, Death’s Shadow, Lightning Bolt, life bid: 4.
    The best “fair” deck I could come up with
    Better version starts at 14/16 life with a painland/Tarnished Citadel, because this gets around the optional beginning-of-game trigger of Chancellor of the Dross and avoids losing to it at the same time.

Leyline of Singularity, Force of Negation, Karakas, Student of Warfare, life bid: 30
    A simple “control” deck

I didn't consider Chancellor of the Dross in my calculations, and I missed Empyrial Archangel as the Unburial Rites target in those decks. Definitely a cool round.
    Leyline/Karakas is classic, but Student of Warfare seems subpar when options like Cenn's Tactician and Ivory Giant exist.

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

Quote Originally Posted by Wrath of Pie View Post
    DD is worth 2 points, not 1.
    whoops, fixed - thanks.

Chancellor of the Dross was something I totally missed that makes a lot of my decks likely bad or bidding the wrong life total. pretty good suggestions for improvements.

Quote Originally Posted by Asthereal View Post
    Maybe it should be. I felt it was more limiting, it being two colours, but perhaps in Legacy that doesn't matter as much.

The difference between the mana costs is negligible because it is easy to generate colored mana.

There is also Chain of Smog.

Honestly, with Dark Deal around, Hymn seems rather fair.

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

We had some discussion previously around simply banning any mass discard, which would stop things like Dark Deal as well. At some point a mass decision like that probably makes more sense than piecemeal bannings.

HumanSmashmaster Results for Round "30 life"

Serra Ascends while the Student strikes twice 6-0

Serra Ascends 4-1

Everyone gets singled out 2-2

Student trades and Serra eventually Ascends 6-0

Serra Ascends 6-0

That's me!

Shot to the Gut, and you're too late! 6-0

Serra ascends to glory once 3-3

That's just cheating 0-6

Total points: 33
    Last edited by GoblinSmashmaster; 04-30-2020 at 01:57 PM.

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

Quote Originally Posted by GoblinSmashmaster View Post
    Serra gets singled out 0-6
    Since the Leyline / Karakas setup is symmetrical, I'm pretty sure we draw.

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

1. Asthereal: You can't kill me fast enough. 6-0 --> 6
    2. Wrath of Pie: Double discard. Bad 0-6 --> 6
    3. Alphastryk: Leyline doesn't target enchantments... 6-0 --> 12
    4. Moosedog: I loose 9 and win. 6-0 --> 18
    5. H: Can't cast barren glory through Thalia. 0-6 --> 18
    6. Goblinsmashmaster: I'm a bit faster than you OTP and slower OTD. 3-3 --> 21
    7. Silkster: You can force Barren glory. 0-6 --> 21
    8. Me.
    9. FTW: It's bad to play dark deal. 0-6 --> 21

Total 21.

Wasn't able to come up with a turn one deck and anyway was afraid of chancellor of the dross...
    Discard is still annoying as hell :)

Sep 2011

FTW: It's bad to play dark deal. 0-6 --> 24
    When I asked about bannings, I actually had Dark Deal in mind not Leyline/Karakas. I thought cards like Dark Deal and Iona were OP when you're on the play both times. Though Gut Shot and Chancellor help keep the turn 1 decks in check, so it balanced out to more fair than I thought.

6. Goblinsmashmaster: I'm a bit faster than you OTD and OTP. 6-0 --> 24
    I think you trade games actually

Tylert vs Gobbo OTD
    G: Serra
    T: Suspend both Lotuses

G: Student. Attack with 6/6 [T=24]
    T: 2 time counters

G: Level 1. Attack with 6/6 and 1/1 [T=17]
    T: 1 time counter

G: Level 2. Attack with 6/6 and 3/3 [T=8]
    T: Blooms resolve. Cast Barren Glory. You also have to cast Noxious Revival on a Lotus to be able to win (empty hand) [T=6]

G: Attack with 6/6 and 3/3 [T=-3], lose before your upkeep

OTP you're just fast enough to have your upkeep and win at 6 life.

Sep 2011

Ban Verdict or unban Hymn. Hymn is a worse card. No lifegain and it costs BB instead of WB.

In Legacy you can pay WB with stuff like Karakas+Lotus Petal on turn 1. Hymn requires Karakas+Fetid Heath (turn 2) or the suboptimal land Swamp.

Site Contributor

Jul 2009
    Philadelphia, PA

I would have got some more points only running 2 Dross. One gut shot would have helped in a couple matches. This was a fun round. There’s a lot to try here. Not submitting life at 29 was definitely an oversight.

1.Aesthereal (TO): City of Traitors, Lion's Eye Diamond, Empyrial Archangel, Unburial Rites, life bid: 4
    Dross for the win. 6-0

Dross for the win. 6-0

Yea, I thought somebody might play leyline again. 0-6.

ME.

Dross for the win. 6-0

Do you win the race, because I gain a bunch of life? I need to think this through. Edit - thanks FTW for showing me the way. 0-6

you put on a 39 turn clock, which gives me time to play dross twice. 6-0

Nice list. 0-6

Dross for the win. 6-0
    Last edited by Moosedog; 05-01-2020 at 08:27 AM.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Moosedog View Post
    Do you win the race, because I gain a bunch of life? I need to think this through.
    It looks pretty close. Dross keeps Serra Ascendant from being 6/6, but Student is still a fast clock and it takes you 8 turns for each Chancellor.

Moose vs Gobbo OTP
    M: Tapped storage land [M=39, G=21]
    G: 1/1 Serra

M: 1 counter
    G: Student. Attack for 1 [M=38, G=22]

M: 2 counters
    G: L1. Attack for 1+1 [M=36, G=23]

M: 3 counters
    G: L2 3/3. Attack for 1+3 [M=32, G=24]

M: 4 counters
    G: L3. Attack for 1+3 [M=28, G=25]

M: 5 counters
    G: L4. Attack for 1+3 [M=24, G=26]

M: 6 counters
    G: L5. Attack for 1+3 [M=20, G=27]

M: 7 counters
    G: L6. Attack for 1+3 [M=16, G=28]

M: Dross #1
    G: L7 4/4 double strike. Attack with 4/4 only.
    You can either block and trade or try to race.

If you let it through and try to race with 6/6 lifelink... [M=8, G=28]
    M: Dross attacks back [M=14, G=22]
    G: He attacks with 4/4 ds + 1/1 [M=5, G=23]

M: Dross attacks back [M=11, G=17]
    G: He attacks with 4/4 ds + 1/1 [M=2, G=18]

M: Dross attacks back [M=8, G=12]
    G: He attacks with 4/4 ds + 1/1 [M=-1]

If instead you block and trade with Student... [M=22, G=28]
    M: Pass with 1 counter
    G: Attack with 1/1 Serra [M=21, G=29]

M: 2 counters
    G: Attack with Serra [M=20, G=30]. Serra becomes 6/6 lifelink. Looks bad for you.

M: 3 counters
    G: Attack with Serra [M=14, G=36].

M: 4 counters
    G: Attack with Serra [M=8, G=42].

M: 5 counters
    G: Attack with Serra [M=2, G=48].

M: 6 counters
    G: Attack with Serra [M=-4].

OTD should be even worse. Looks like you lose both.

Dross for the win. 6-0
    This one I'm pretty sure you do win. He discards 2 of 3 Chancellors, but his 1/1 Serra Ascendant needs 9 attacks to get back to 30 life and your Chancellor comes down in 8 turns. If he had an extra attacker, removal, or his own Chancellor then Wrath would win this.

Me: silkster: Force of Negation, Snapback, Pyrokinesis, Chancellor of the Forge, life bid: 30

Force of Negation claims its first victim. 6 points

Punished for not bidding 29. On your play, you start with Ascendant which crucially has more than 1+4 toughness. I bounce it and hit you for 1. If you play the Ascendant, I kill it. If you Verdict my removal, I can hit you to 28 and our 1/1s stare at each other forever. WD, 4 points

Karakas can't protect the Smiter the turn that it's cast. Rage, little goblin, rage! 6 points
    Several decks has Karakas and no Leyline, so I missed it here. Oops. We stare at each other forever with no useful resources. DD, 2 points

Plink. Plink. Plink. Plink.... Oh god, where did the giant monster come from?! 0 points

Thalia is so mean. 0 points

Two creatures! That's not fair. On the play, I lose to Serra Ascendant being able to tussle while at 29 life. 0 points

Finally the kind of degeneracy I was hoping for. 6 points

More of the degeneracy I was hoping for. 6 points

24 points. Perfectly in the middle. Again.

Quote Originally Posted by alphastryk View Post

This is fun. Basking Rootwalla just seems weaker than Nether Spirit, as graveyard hate seemed too situational (to me at least).

"More than 1 Nether Spirit" is actually a non-bo. ;)

The whole time I was brewing decks, I didn't understand the life rule, so I completely missed Serra Ascendant. If I had realized that possibility, I could have started at 29 to fight them.

Embarrassingly, I completely missed Chancellor of the Dross. I even double checked all the Chancellors and Leylines and read it and was just like "drain 3 doesn't matter", even while realizing that Gut Shot had potential. Whoosh. Not seeing Chancellor of the Dross, I thought Leyline of Sanctity had potential with a 1 life bid. I was thinking,

Leyline of Sanctity, City of Traitors, Sphere of Resistence, Chronomaton life bid:1
    22 points by my count. I knew that Unburial with City of Traitors beat this, which is just the type of degenerate combo I was hoping to prey on, so that put me off of it.
    Last edited by silkster; 04-30-2020 at 08:57 PM.

Round 5: Take Five - During the first 5 turns of the game, players can't lose the game, lose life or get poison counters. (Counting of the turns works as follows: player A gets turn 1, player B then gets turn 2, player A gets turn 3, player B gets turn 4 and player A gets turn 5. So when player A is on the play, player B will be the first to be able to deal damage and so on.)
    Addition bannings: Pact of Negation, Pact of the Titan, Slaughter Pact.
    To clarify for the upcoming round, "players can't lose life" is the Platinum Emperion effect, so City of Brass doesn't reduce life, Mana Confluence can't be activated, and Hypnotic Specter will not reduce a player's life total, but will cause that player to discard. Is all of that correct?

Thread Information