Page 113 of 332 FirstFirst ... 1363103109110111112113114115116117123163213 ... LastLast
Results 2,241 to 2,260 of 6623

Thread: 4 Card Blind

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

Re: 4 Card Blind

Quote Originally Posted by Tylert View Post
    Believe me or not, it was also a lot of fun when it was normal times.
    I do believe it! I just hadn't discovered this yet.

And now for this round, which definitely has a lot of unique and creative decks:

1. Asthereal (TO): City of Brass, Quicksand, Pharika's Chosen, Corrupt Court Official
    OTP: I'm able to get setup before the court official takes a card. W
    OTD: The court official takes my pinnacle, and we stare at each other over the sanctuary forever. D

4-1

2. FTW: Sejiri Refuge, Karakas, Invisible Stalker, Island Sanctuary
    Ah, the island sanctuary mirror. In this case though, I can win through it while you cannot. WW

6-0

3. Wrath of Pie: Faerie Conclave, Azorius Chancery, Dust Bowl, Ghostly Prison
    Faerie Conclave flies, and kills me far before my Pinnacle is completed. LL

0-6

4. Tylert: Swamp, Fetid imp, Quicksand, Quicksand
    Fetid Imp flies, and kills me far before my Pinnacle is completed. LL

0-6

5. alphastryk: Forest, Karakas, Helix Pinnacle, Island Sanctuary
    This is me

6. Moosedog: Bojuka bog, Fountain of cho, Chronomaton, Celestial force
    I hide in my Island Sanctuary and build my Helix Pinnacle. WW

6-0

7. GoblinSmashmaster: Island, Drifter il-Dal, Sea's Claim, Force of Negation
    You can always Force of Negation my Island Sanctuary and Drifter kills far before I can Pinnacle. LL

0-6

8. silkster: Calciform Pools, Saltcrusted Steppe, Meteor Golem, Empyrial Archangel
    Math! You can Meteor Golem on your turn 8 if I did my math right, then start attacking with it after destroying the Island Sanctuary. If I just hold the Sanctuary in hand, you just go for the angel instead on your turn 9. The Angel kills me way too fast OTP or OTD. LL

0-6

9. H: Forest, Forest, Thallid Shell-Dweller, Thallid Shell-Dweller
    I hide in my Island Sanctuary and build my Helix Pinnacle. WW

6-0

Total: 22 points

Maybe my 53 turn clock is just a *bit* too slow lol

1. Asthereal (TO): City of Brass, Quicksand, Pharika's Chosen, Corrupt Court Official WW
    2. FTW: Sejiri Refuge, Karakas, Invisible Stalker, Island Sanctuary WW
    4. Tylert: Swamp, Fetid imp, Quicksand, Quicksand DD
    5. alphastryk: Forest, Karakas, Helix Pinnacle, Island Sanctuary WW
    6. Moosedog: Bojuka bog, Fountain of cho, Chronomaton, Celestial force WW
    7. GoblinSmashmaster: Island, Drifter il-Dal, Sea's Claim, Force of Negation LL - You never cast Sea's Claim, just beat me down with Drifter and Force my Ghostly Prison.
    8. silkster: Calciform Pools, Saltcrusted Steppe, Meteor Golem, Empyrial Archangel WW
    9. H: Forest, Forest, Thallid Shell-Dweller, Thallid Shell-Dweller WW

12w2d = 38 points

Ghostly Prison + Dust Bowl hilariously broke the round (was expecting nonbasic lands).

DrifterSmashmaster Results for Round "Ban Storm Crow"

1. Asthereal (TO): City of Brass, Quicksand, Pharika's Chosen, Corrupt Court Official
    Quicksand 0-6

Use the Force 6-0

Use the Force 6-0

Too many Quicksands 0-6

Use the Force 6-0

Chrono's faster 0-6

That's me!

8. silkster: Calciform Pools, Saltcrusted Steppe, Meteor Golem, Empyrial Archangel
    Claim the Steppe 6-0

Drifter smashes 6-0

Total: 30 points

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Asthereal View Post
    I can't race this monstrosity, but neither can Storm.dec

Moose vs Storm, OTP
    M - Cho tapped
    S - Island

M - Bog tapped. 1 counter
    S - Plains. Stormfront Pegasus

M - 2 counters
    S - Storm Crow. [M=18]

M - 3 counters
    S - Attack for 3 [M=15]

M - 4 counters
    S - Attack for 3 [M=12]

M - 5 counters
    S - Attack for 3 [M=9]

M - 6 counters
    S - Attack for 3 [M=6]

M - 7 counters
    S - Attack for 3 [M=3]

M - Remove 7 counters + tap Bog = 5WWW. Cast Celestial Force.
    S - Upkeep gain 3 [M=6]. Attack for 3 [M=3]

M - Upkeep gain 3 [M=6]. Easily win from here.

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

1. Asthereal: Corrupt discards 1 quicksand, the other kills one of your two ground critters and I win the race thanks to City of brass :) 6-0 --> 6
    2. FTW: I guess you win both games due to the 1 life gained by sejiri Refuge. Well done. 0-6 --> 6
    3. Wrath of Pie: I have three lands so I can pay for ghostly prison, Tie. 2-2 --> 8
    4. Me.
    5. Alphastryk: My flyer will kill you before you get to 100 counters. 6-0 --> 14
    6. Moosedog: You can keep chrono on defence until it's 5/5 to dodge quicksand. Then force will seal the deal because i can't kill both with imp. However, this looks like an illegal deck :) 6-0 --> 20
    7. GoblinSmashmaster: I can play quicksand first to be able to play imp, then quick sand your drifter (because I have 2!!) and win with imp. 6-0 --> 26
    8. silkster: I guess I can't kill you before you can play Meteor Golem. 0-6 --> 26
    9. H: OTP: You're faster than my lonely flyer. 0-6 --> 26

Everyone was very creative for this round. GG!

Total 26
    Last edited by Tylert; 05-28-2020 at 05:58 AM.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post

Moose vs Storm, OTP
    M - Cho tapped
    S - Island

M - Bog tapped. 1 counter
    S - Plains. Stormfront Pegasus

M - 2 counters
    S - Storm Crow. [M=18]

M - 3 counters
    S - Attack for 3 [M=15]

M - 4 counters
    S - Attack for 3 [M=12]

M - 5 counters
    S - Attack for 3 [M=9]

M - 6 counters
    S - Attack for 3 [M=6]

M - 7 counters
    S - Attack for 3 [M=3]

M - Remove 7 counters + tap Bog = 5WWW. Cast Celestial Force.
    S - Upkeep gain 3 [M=6]. Attack for 3 [M=3]

M - Upkeep gain 3 [M=6]. Easily win from here.
    Did both Moose and I overlook a line that makes his deck beat the Crow and Pegasus?
    Ouch.
    Join the 4 Card Blind competition!

Site Contributor

Jul 2009
    Philadelphia, PA

Flew too close to the sun. I spent way too much time on this round only to blow it. (I made last minute switch form blazing archon, which would have been much better, and not illegal). ha

Never occurred to me to check playing the cho first.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Quote Originally Posted by Moosedog View Post
    Flew too close to the sun. I spent way too much time on this round only to blow it. Haha

Never occurred to me to check playing the cho first.
    Neither did I. I saw Chrono, and went like: ooh, can you actually play him?
    Did a quick calc and found that the tapped Bog indeed allows for the Chrono, and felt stupid for never checking this myself.
    I completely forgot that Fountain could actually race as well...

Sep 2011

1. Asthereal (TO): Island Sanctuary locks you out, but even OTP I can't protect both cards from your Official. DD 2-2
    3. Wrath of Pie: Conclave flies through my lock and Prison+Dust Bowl stops my attack. LL 0-6
    4. Tylert: Sejiri Refuge claims its first victim in the 1/x mirror! WW 6-0
    5. alphastryk: Lol, I forgot to play around the mirror. I can't attack through your sanctuary. LL 0-6
    6. Moosedog: Island Sanctuary locks you out, while the Rules ban your deck. WW 6-0
    7. GoblinSmashmaster: Sea's Claim on my Refuge does nothing, but you can Force the Sanctuary and race me with Drifter. LL 0-6
    8. silkster: Archangel lands before Stalker can deal lethal, then kills me in the air. LL 0-6
    9. H: Island Sanctuary locks you out. Invisible Stalker does his invisible thing. WW 6-0

20 points (6 wins, 2 draws)

I'm surprised at how many people came prepared to beat Island Sanctuary. I thought that would be a real sleeper since it's never come up in any other 4CB rounds, and I expected fewer flyers to avoid draws with Storm.dec.

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

I'm surprised at how many people came prepared to beat Island Sanctuary. I thought that would be a real sleeper since it's never come up in any other 4CB rounds, and I expected fewer flyers to avoid draws with Storm.dec.
    I thought this would be the Island Sanctuary meta as well! expected few flyers given the deck you must lose to is flyers.

I guess maybe I was supposed to go with my other deck instead:

Snow-covered Swamp, Encroach, Innocent Blood, Icehide Golem

I noticed two errors (I think), so I'm going to put that up top.

That's me. The official can make the storm season deck discard the Crow, but the Pegasus wins the race.

If you discard Archangel, I can trade with the Golem for the draw, but you can actually discard Golem and be in time with Archangel (see below). 0-6
    Unfortunately, the Archangel redirects deathtouch damage to itself and dies.

Quote Originally Posted by GoblinSmashmaster View Post
    That's me!

Claim the Steppe 6-0
    I have two storage lands, so the Golem is still coming down.

Me: silkster: Calciform Pools, Saltcrusted Steppe, Meteor Golem, Empyrial Archangel

I discard the Angel which is awkwardly inept at fighting Pharika's Chosen, Golem the Official so it doesn't kill me, then stare at the Snake forever. I chose Imperial Archangel for being really hard to remove. I did not account for one little snakey boi. DD, 2 points

I considered Island Sanctuary, and almost exactly this deck. Unfortunately, it doesn't stop the big Angel. WW 6 points

My first deck was almost the same as last week's: Island, Viscerid Deepwalker, Sea's claim, Spell Pierce. I couldn't really find the right 4th card. I was sure that Sea's Claim was going to be the card of the round. It shuts down so much yet does nothing against Storm.dec. Dust Bowl was a great find, though I don't know that I would have had the guts to play it. Really, I should be going for "abstract power" (whatever that means), instead of metagaming against the tiny range of decks that I can think of. I also considered Ghostly Prison, but combining it with Sea's Claim was a nonbo.LL, 0 points

I can accumulate 15 counters before playing the Angel to protect it from an Imp attack. WW, 6 points

Shroud saves the day. WW, 6 points

I immediately recognized that Celestial Force could beat Storm.dec because I almost ran it in place of Meteor Golem. Do I get 6 points for this deck being illegal? 6 points

There's one of the 5 Sea's Claims I was expecting. A well-timed Sea's Claim can slow me down, but Meteor Golem is coming down either way. Golem before Drifter races it; Golem after Drifter kills it. WW 6 points

This takes a bit too long to get going. WW, 6 points

38 points!

I had tons of ideas this week, and I had really hard time deciding between them. Some other decks were
    Forest, Mtenda Lion, Mtenda Lion, Mtenda Lion
    Subterranean Hangar, Liliana of the Veil, Black Knight, Duress
    I really thought Duress would be popular too, which was a big reason I went double creature.
    Flailing Soldier, Sea's Claim, Daze, Volcanic Island
    Had I been confident that most people would only play 1 land, I would have played this. Flailing Soldier is so wonderfully stupid.
    Knight of Sursi, Sea's Claim, Tundra, and Isolate or Pitfall Trap
    Propaganda, Island, City of Traitors, Scalding Tongs

Quote Originally Posted by alphastryk View Post
    I thought this would be the Island Sanctuary meta as well! expected few flyers given the deck you must lose to is flyers.
    Strangely, I found Island Sanctuary but didn't think about playing against it. During my search for decks I was leaning toward flyers because I was afraid of Roast and Trapped in the Tower.

I effectively treated this like a Backbuild round, except unlike Backbuild this format isn't awful.

Basic lands in the house hand implied that nonbasic land cards like painlands and Quicksand were going to be good at not beating the house but still being generically good, so Dust Bowl had some potential. Also, most hands were going to be limited on mana, so Ghostly Prison/Propaganda is an excellent prison card while still letting the house attack. Faerie Conclave as my only threat made sure that I had no chance at beating the house.

Island Sanctuary has the problem that it is not the most effective prison card, because pay 2 mana is a harder constraint to meet than have a flier, especially when I can Dust Bowl away mana. The fact that you can play a 2 power flier and still lose to the house did not help here. Even with people playing basic lands, Prison still has the effect of limiting combat, because the requirement of losing to the house means that the 3/4 power threats that would otherwise beat it either require a storage land to be cast (Dust Bowl works here), are highly conditional (I considered Hidden Herd as an option, but realized that Dust Bowl is a better punisher of nonbasic lands), or you end up with 1/2 power threats which still had to lose to the house, so Faerie Conclave was likely to outrace them.

GoblinSmashmaster had the right idea to counter the prison lock, but probably should have considered Viscerid Deepwalker instead to avoid the bad synergy between Sea's Claim and Drifter il-Dal.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Wrath of Pie View Post
    I effectively treated this like a Backbuild round, except unlike Backbuild this format isn't awful.

Basic lands in the house hand implied that nonbasic land cards like painlands and Quicksand were going to be good at not beating the house but still being generically good, so Dust Bowl had some potential. Also, most hands were going to be limited on mana, so Ghostly Prison/Propaganda is an excellent prison card while still letting the house attack. Faerie Conclave as my only threat made sure that I had no chance at beating the house.

Island Sanctuary has the problem that it is not the most effective prison card, because pay 2 mana is a harder constraint to meet than have a flier, especially when I can Dust Bowl away mana. The fact that you can play a 2 power flier and still lose to the house did not help here. Even with people playing basic lands, Prison still has the effect of limiting combat, because the requirement of losing to the house means that the 3/4 power threats that would otherwise beat it either require a storage land to be cast (Dust Bowl works here), are highly conditional (I considered Hidden Herd as an option, but realized that Dust Bowl is a better punisher of nonbasic lands), or you end up with 1/2 power threats which still had to lose to the house, so Faerie Conclave was likely to outrace them.
    This is a really good format analysis. Your wins are well-deserved.

I misread the format. I thought flyers in the house hand would push players into playing ground creatures, making Island Sanctuary uniquely strong. I expected the creatures to be either:
    - low-power hatebears (e.g. Thalia, Revoker, Pharika's Chosen) that are good against generic decks but powerless against flyers
    - slow suspend threats
    - slow ramp threats
    - decks with 1 removal spell and one dead disruptive card that get outraced by 1-power flying (e.g. Duress, Snuff Out, Pharika's Chosen / Sea's Claim, Path to Exile, Grayscaled Gharial + pain land/ Quicksandx2, Scalding Tongs, Meekstone / Tyler's deck). I built to race these with Hexproof and the Refuge

I assumed the suspend and ramp threats would have to be nonflying so they couldn't come in and block Stormfront Pegasus, and I had Karakas to play around very slow legendary flyers like Iona, but didn't consider that nonlegendary flyers like Empyrial Archangel and Blazing Archon would be slow enough to work.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Quote Originally Posted by silkster View Post
    I discard the Angel which is awkwardly inept at fighting Pharika's Chosen, Golem the Official so it doesn't kill me, then stare at the Snake forever. I chose Imperial Archangel for being really hard to remove. I did not account for one little snakey boi. DD, 2 points
    Ah, well spotted. I completely overlooked the fact that Chosen would kill the Archangel. That's lucky.

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

This is a really good format analysis. Your wins are well-deserved.

I misread the format. I thought flyers in the house hand would push players into playing ground creatures, making Island Sanctuary uniquely strong. I expected the creatures to be either:
    - low-power hatebears (e.g. Thalia, Revoker, Pharika's Chosen) that are good against generic decks but powerless against flyers
    - slow suspend threats
    - slow ramp threats
    - decks with 1 removal spell and one dead disruptive card that get outraced by 1-power flying (e.g. Duress, Snuff Out, Pharika's Chosen / Sea's Claim, Path to Exile, Grayscaled Gharial + pain land/ Quicksandx2, Scalding Tongs, Meekstone / Tyler's deck). I built to race these with Hexproof and the Refuge

I assumed the suspend and ramp threats would have to be nonflying so they couldn't come in and block Stormfront Pegasus, and I had Karakas to play around very slow legendary flyers like Iona, but didn't consider that nonlegendary flyers like Empyrial Archangel and Blazing Archon would be slow enough to work.
    My first idea was to play ground beaters like grim initiates because they cannot block, they can't beat storm crow but they are very strong against opposing 1/1.
    But I quickly realized that quicksand was a removal that could not target flying creatures and that people not thinking out the box would play ground creatures. So I went for a lonely flyer as I could not see people playing a removal for a flyer :) However, very slow decks have been overpowering me :(

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Here's the preliminary standings for round 8. Notes:
    - This is assuming H's results as calculated by his opponents are correct.
    - This is also assuming Gobbo missed the fact that both of silk's lands are storage lands when he calculated that particular match.

Rank. Player: Score - SP
    1. Wrath of Pie: 38 - 4,8
    1. silkster: 38 - 4,8
    3. GoblinSmashmaster: 30 - 3,8
    4. Tylert: 26 - 3,3
    5. alphastryk: 22 - 2,8
    6. FTW: 20 - 2,5
    7. H: 18 - 2,3
    8. Asthereal (TO): 17 - 2,1
    9. Moosedog: 0 - 0

This would lead to a pretty big shuffle in the standings for the season again.
    Wrath takes the lead, and silk jumps to fifth place. Well done to both!

1. Wrath of Pie: 28,3
    2. FTW: 26
    3. Tylert: 25,4
    4. Moosedog: 24
    5. silkster: 21,2
    6. alphastryk: 20,8
    7. Asthereal (TO): 19,9
    8. GoblinSmashmaster: 14,5
    9. H: 13,8

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

ROUND 9 of SEASON 6: DEVIANT LEGACY has started.

This round we will play Blocked - All cards in your deck must come from the same block. No core sets or Modern Masters-like sets allowed. Guilds of Ravnica block (Guilds of Ravnica, Ravnica Allegiance, War of the Spark) is allowed.
    No additional bannings.

Note: Most of us should have some experience with this after two full seasons of Block Tour, but keep an eye on the banned list. During our block tour, everything was legal, but this time we're running a banned list, so several of the strong decks we found during those seasons won't be legal this time around.

I have PM'ed myself my deck for round 9, so you can start sending me your decks.

DEADLINE: Wednesday the 3rd of June, at 11:00AM Central European Time.
    (That's my time zone. Pacific Time it'll probably be something like Tuesday night a bit past midnight, so keep that in mind.)

PLEASE NOTE:
    The way you send your deck to me matters. Please send it in the way described below, so it doesn't cost me an hour of editing before I can post all the decks.
    Please send your deck as follows: Swamp, Quicksand, Funeral Charm, Fallen Askari.
    So with card tags around each card, and not above eachother, and with your Username and 4CB S06R09 in the topic.
    Don't forget to keep an eye on the banned list. You'll find it in the second post of the thread, or in our Google Spreadsheet.

After the deadline has passed, I will post all decks on the forum here, and you can start puzzling out your scores.
    If you have any questions, please read the first two posts of this thread first. If you can't find the answer there, drop a message here. We'll answer a.s.a.p.

Also, if you've been lurking on this thread and looking to join, you can step in anytime, any round. That's no problem at all. Just send me your deck before the deadline, and I'll add you to the competition.

Happy deck designing everybody!
    Last edited by Asthereal; 05-30-2020 at 05:53 PM.

Funreal Charm is a top-tier typo, after all modal spells are real fun.

I think you might have to consider banning Ensnaring Bridge.

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Quote Originally Posted by Wrath of Pie View Post
    Funreal Charm is a top-tier typo, after all modal spells are real fun.

I think you might have to consider banning Ensnaring Bridge.

no? it's a 3 mana card... so much things can happen before it get cast.

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

ROUND 9 of SEASON 6: DEVIANT LEGACY has started.

This round we will play Blocked - All cards in your deck must come from the same block. No core sets or Modern Masters-like sets allowed. Guilds of Ravnica block (Guilds of Ravnica, Ravnica Allegiance, War of the Spark) is allowed.
    No additional bannings.

Note: Most of us should have some experience with this after two full seasons of Block Tour, but keep an eye on the banned list. During our block tour, everything was legal, but this time we're running a banned list, so several of the strong decks we found during those seasons won't be legal this time around.

I have PM'ed myself my deck for round 9, so you can start sending me your decks.

DEADLINE: Wednesday the 3rd of June, at 11:00AM Central European Time.
    (That's my time zone. Pacific Time it'll probably be something like Tuesday night a bit past midnight, so keep that in mind.)

PLEASE NOTE:
    The way you send your deck to me matters. Please send it in the way described below, so it doesn't cost me an hour of editing before I can post all the decks.
    Please send your deck as follows: Swamp, Quicksand, Funreal Charm, Fallen Askari.
    So with card tags around each card, and not above eachother, and with your Username and 4CB S06R09 in the topic.
    Don't forget to keep an eye on the banned list. You'll find it in the second post of the thread, or in our Google Spreadsheet.

After the deadline has passed, I will post all decks on the forum here, and you can start puzzling out your scores.
    If you have any questions, please read the first two posts of this thread first. If you can't find the answer there, drop a message here. We'll answer a.s.a.p.

Also, if you've been lurking on this thread and looking to join, you can step in anytime, any round. That's no problem at all. Just send me your deck before the deadline, and I'll add you to the competition.

Happy deck designing everybody!
    Just to be sure, we're using the legacy banlist althought we're playing block??

Thread Information