Page 125 of 332 FirstFirst ... 2575115121122123124125126127128129135175225 ... LastLast
Results 2,481 to 2,500 of 6623

Thread: 4 Card Blind

Re: 4 Card Blind

Quote Originally Posted by maxx! View Post
    9. silkster: Island, Viscerid Deepwalker, Sea's Claim, Daze
    this deck looks familiar. sea's claim is a blank and we can both pay for daze. no matter who can start attacking first, whichever player is losing the race can hold back to block and turn it into a draw. 2-2

0+3+0+2+6+2+3+2+6 = 24
    This week was unexciting to me. I didn't think about it much. People played slow lands last week (which I thought was crazy then), so I thought it might happen again and I didn't want to throw away my free wins. It turns out that I could have planned better by going bigger into Errant Ephemeron. Damn. Oh well.

Thanks for calculating my points for me, Maxx!

I hope the Evil Presence deck does well enough to get banned too. Oh man, Sea's Claim was a real dud this week. I thought one of them was going to make it.

My math tells me that since the total points by all players this week was 239, there were 6*(10*9)/2 - 239 = 31 draws. That feels like a lot.

Also, 239/(45*2) = 2.6556 means that my piddly score of 2.6667 was actually just slightly above the average.

31 draws is nothing compared to Backbuild rounds.

On the other hand, we are closer to effectively playing chess with cards.

I really wanted to try to take advantage of Arcum's Astrolabe laughing at land hate (see also snow-covered land), but Daze being around stopped me.

Quote Originally Posted by silkster View Post
    This week was unexciting to me. I didn't think about it much. People played slow lands last week (which I thought was crazy then), so I thought it might happen again and I didn't want to throw away my free wins. It turns out that I could have planned better by going bigger into Errant Ephemeron. Damn. Oh well.

Thanks for calculating my points for me, Maxx!

I hope the Evil Presence deck does well enough to get banned too. Oh man, Sea's Claim was a real dud this week. I thought one of them was going to make it.

My math tells me that since the total points by all players this week was 239, there were 6*(10*9)/2 - 239 = 31 draws. That feels like a lot.

Also, 239/(45*2) = 2.6556 means that my piddly score of 2.6667 was actually just slightly above the average.
    yeah, it looks like both sea's claim and evil presence survive another week. disappointing since they're so oppressive to all the cool (slow) lands, but they're still not winning enough 🤷

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    36? Wow, a lot better than I thought I'd do. Skittering Skirge was an old "joke" card I used to run way back when we were cracking packs of Urza's.
    Looks like big flyers was the right meta call, with everyone else on suspend and deathtouch ground dorks. I was trying to find a way to do better than WL/DD anti-combo fair mirrors while still not losing to combo. Skirge does that well too! (with Duress/Daze to handle unfair decks and removal)

Skittering Skirge is less janky than it looks! I played it back in Urza's Standard suiblack. T1 Dark Rit Duress Skirge was a real thing (also Unmask into Phyrexian Negator). It was basically Delver, before tempo was a thing. Turns out you can just play a T1 threat and ride it to victory backed by disruptive spells, especially in a combo-heavy meta.
    Last edited by FTW; 07-08-2020 at 10:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by maxx! View Post
    yeah, it looks like both sea's claim and evil presence survive another week. disappointing since they're so oppressive to all the cool (slow) lands, but they're still not winning enough 🤷
    It looks like Viscerid Deepwaker, Daze, Desert, Errant Emepheron, Dark Ritural, Duress, and Skittering Skirge are the ones getting the axe this week. At this rate, I think I'd be happy to play Pauper through to the end of round 12. I have my eye on some cards that are really terrible in general, but just might float to the top if enough cards get out of the way.

Site Contributor

Jul 2009
    Philadelphia, PA

At this rate, I think I'd be happy to play Pauper through to the end of round 12. I have my eye on some cards that are really terrible in general, but just might float to the top if enough cards get out of the way.
    +1

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

It looks like Viscerid Deepwaker, Daze, Desert, Errant Emepheron, Dark Ritural, Duress, and Skittering Skirge are the ones getting the axe this week. At this rate, I think I'd be happy to play Pauper through to the end of round 12. I have my eye on some cards that are really terrible in general, but just might float to the top if enough cards get out of the way.
    I wouldn't mind that, but I am interested in also exploring the "Peasant" paradigm too.

Maybe we just do a full season of Pauper then a full season of Peasant?
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    I wouldn't mind that, but I am interested in also exploring the "Peasant" paradigm too.

Maybe we just do a full season of Pauper then a full season of Peasant?
    I'd be down for that, there's probably enough depth to both from what we have seen so far.

Sep 2011

I'm happy with our current setup. Adding Peasant partway through after the broken Pauper stuff is gone should be interesting. It also looks like we can go pretty deep with this Pauper pool.

Edit: The more I think about it, I'm on board with playing out 12 rounds of Pauper. I just realized adding Peasant means wasting multiple rounds burning through OP stuff that's competitive in Legacy 4CB.
    Last edited by FTW; 07-09-2020 at 01:00 PM.

personally i'd be down for either. the current format sounds great, but 12 rounds of pauper sounds fun too. seems like there's enough depth to support it

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

I think sticking to the plan makes the most sense.
    I'm willing to switch, but only if like 6 people really want to.

Anyway, these are the standings for round 2:

1. FTW: 43 - 4,8
    2. H: 36 - 4
    3. Asthereal (TO): 32 - 3,6
    4. GoblinSmashmaster: 26 - 2,9
    5. maxx!: 24 - 2,7
    5. silkster: 24 - 2,7
    7. alphastryk: 18 - 2
    8. Wrath of Pie: 16 - 1,8
    9. Tylert: 12 - 1,3
    10. Moosedog: 8 - 0,9

Which leads to the following bannings:
    Dark Ritual
    Daze
    Desert
    Duress
    Errant Ephemeron
    Skittering Skirge
    Viscerid Deepwalker
    Join the 4 Card Blind competition!

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

ROUND 3 of SEASON 7: PAUPER & PEASANT BANNATHON has started.

This round we play Pauper again (only commons allowed.)

I have PM'ed myself my deck for round 3, so you can start sending me your decks.

DEADLINE: Wednesday the 15th of July, at 11:00AM Central European Time.
    (That's my time zone. Pacific Time it'll probably be something like Tuesday night a bit past midnight, so keep that in mind.)

PLEASE NOTE:
    The way you send your deck to me matters. Please send it in the way described below, so it doesn't cost me an hour of editing before I can post all the decks.
    Please send your deck as follows: Swamp, Swamp, Terror, Dauthi Slayer.
    So with card tags around each card, and not above eachother, and with your Username and 4CB S07R03 in the topic.
    Don't forget to keep an eye on the banned list. You'll find it in the second post of the thread, or in our Google Spreadsheet.

After the deadline has passed, I will post all decks on the forum here, and you can start puzzling out your scores.
    If you have any questions, please read the first two posts of this thread first. If you can't find the answer there, drop a message here. We'll answer a.s.a.p.

Also, if you've been lurking on this thread and looking to join, you can step in anytime, any round. That's no problem at all. Just send me your deck before the deadline, and I'll add you to the competition.

Happy deck designing everybody!

Full season of Pauper and possible full season of Peasant has more appeal to me.

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

Quote Originally Posted by Wrath of Pie View Post
    Full season of Pauper and possible full season of Peasant has more appeal to me.
    +1

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Quote Originally Posted by alphastryk View Post
    +1
    If I can still count, that adds up to 6 people who are interested in playing 12 full rounds of pauper, 2 who seem fine with either setup and one who hasn't responded.

I think we can safely switch to 12 rounds of Pauper bannathon.
    I'll be editing things, but not very soon, since I'm in the middle of putting a floor into my new appartment.

PS. We're at 3 entries now. Don't be late!

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Quote Originally Posted by Asthereal View Post
    If I can still count, that adds up to 6 people who are interested in playing 12 full rounds of pauper, 2 who seem fine with either setup and one who hasn't responded.

I think we can safely switch to 12 rounds of Pauper bannathon.
    I'll be editing things, but not very soon, since I'm in the middle of putting a floor into my new appartment.

PS. We're at 3 entries now. Don't be late!
    I don't mind a 12 round pauper banathon. whatever makes people happy as i'm anyway not really in the position of playing seriously.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Everybody's on time, so here we go.

DECKS FOR ROUND 3 OF SEASON 7: Pauper

1. Asthereal (TO): Mountain, Rite of Flame, Rite of Flame, Empty the Warrens
    2. Wrath of Pie: Snow-Covered Island, Arcum's Astrolabe, Stormscape Apprentice, Keldon Halberdier
    3. GoblinSmashmaster: Mountain, Rite of Flame, Rite of Flame, Empty the Warrens
    4. Moosedog: Forest, Quirion Ranger, Deadly Recluse, Thornweald Archer
    5. alphastryk: Mountain, Crack the Earth, Keldon Halberdier, Gut Shot
    6. H: Mountain, Satyr Hoplite, Akroan Crusader, Mark of Fury
    7. FTW: Forest, Rogue Elephant, Skyshroud Cutter, Skyshroud Cutter
    8. maxx!: Island, Swamp, Striped Riverwinder, Exhume
    9. Tylert: Mountain, Keldon halbardiers, Keldon halbardiers, Blazing volley
    10. silkster: Forest, Forest, Scythe Tiger, Scythe Tiger

Please post your scores and cross-check with the opponents.
    I'll update the Google Spreadsheet for the season, so you can enter your scores there as well: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Asthereal's scores for round 3:

That's me. Had to try the warrens one time.
    2. Wrath of Pie: Snow-Covered Island, Arcum's Astrolabe, Stormscape Apprentice, Keldon Halberdier
    This seems a tad slow for my row of guys. 6-0
    I knew you'd play this. 2-2
    I don't think I can beat this particular army, but I also don't see you attacking through my wall of tokens. 2-2
    This also seems a tad slow for my row of guys. 6-0
    6. H: Mountain, Satyr Hoplite, Akroan Crusader, Mark of Fury
    This needs some calculating. See below. 0-6
    Off the top of my head: you have a total of 7/7 in creatures. I have 6/6. I have 30 life, you 20, but we probably end up with a 2/2 against a 1/1. So I guess you win this? 0-6
    OTP I'm fast enough (6+5+4+3+2=dead). OTD you have the defender online just in time and I can't attack, so we draw. 4-1
    You have the anti-warrens tech. 0-6
    Neither of us can attack profitably, I think. 2-2

Total: 22 points

Against H:

OTP
    A: Make 6 gobbos
    H: Hoplite
    A: Attack for 6 (14)
    H: Make Hoplite 2/2
    A: Attack for 6, block 1, 5 left (9)
    H: Make Crusader
    A: Attack for 5, block 1, 4 left (5)
    H: Make a 1/1
    A: Attack for 4, block 2, 2 left (3)
    H: You win easily from here.
    Last edited by Asthereal; 07-15-2020 at 03:32 PM.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

H: Mountain, Satyr Hoplite, Akroan Crusader, Mark of Fury

Asthereal was nice enough to calculate this, looks like I win out. 6-0

Hmm, this one is kind of complicated. That Stormscape can tap Crusader, makes it hard to know if it is best to grow that or go wide with Hoplite.

H T1: Mountain, Crusader.
    W T1: SC Island, Astrolabe.

H T2: Mark Crusader, [T=1] attack with both [W=18].
    W T2: AN early inflection point, not sure if it is better to Suspend or play the Apprentice. Since the Halberdier seems more important, we can try that first. [S=4].

H T3: Mark Crusader [T=2], attack with all [W=15].
    W T3: [S=3], play Apprentice.

H T4: Mark Crusader [T=3], attack with just the tokens. I don't think Apprentice can realistically block, because then I can just take to Growing Hoplite. [W=12].
    W T4: [S=2], hold up Apprentice, pass.

H T5: Mark Crusader [T=4], attack with just the tokens. Apprentice can actually tap one, but then I can just attack with the Crusader. So tapping or holding up for blocking saves one damage either way, so [W=8], but holding up means Apprentice can EOT ping me for 1, so [H=19].
    W T5: [S=1] again, have to hold up Apprentice.

H T6: Mark Crusader [T=5], I think I am "winning" the race here, so lets try to keep pushing. Again, tap or no tap, it will still be 5 damage, so Apprentice is held up. [W=3], EOT ping me [H=18].
    W T7: Halberdier is cast. But even though 2 blockers (or one and a tap), I will have 7 attackers and Wrath only has 3 life.

So I should at least win on the Play, I think. I will do when I am on the Draw later, but I have a feeling it might not matter?

Maybe 6-0?

See round 1. 6-0

This is a lot of Deathtouch. Makes me think going wide is the best approach here. In fact, because I can just go wide, and chump the Archer, I think I can always just win, because Recluse can't really attack or else lose the race. Maybe 6-0?

I can't beat Gut Shot. 0-6

6. H: Bye, myself.
    That is a lot of power, but I might have time to grow and block.

H T1: Mountan, Crusader.
    FTW: Forest, Cutter, Cutter [H=30], Elephant.

H T2: Mark Crusader [C=2/2], pass.
    FTW T2: Attack with all, [H=23]

H T3: Mark Crusader [C=3/3], pass.
    FTW T3: Attacking with all just trows away a Cutter and an attack with only Elephant won't really race. I think I win both of these maybe, because I can get to a 4/4, then go wide with Hopelite.

Maybe 6-0?

This is fast, but Riverwinder can be chumped. So if I go wide with Hoplite, I can always chump with a token and attack with Hopelite, taking a slow path to win. If maxx! doesn't attack, it just gets worse and I can grow until I win in a swing.

Maybe 6-0?

So Blazing Volley is not an Instant like I thought it was, haha. In this case, only one threat can get taged and no my Mark, so I can outgrow this team. 6-0

I think I will have time to grow Crusader to a 2/2, which I can trade to cut the clock, then go wide and double block the other tiger with tokens.

H T1: Mountain, Crusader.
    S T1: Forest, Tiger.

H T2: Mark Crusader [C=2/2], pass.
    S T2: Forest, Tiger. An attack and I will block, meaning I will still have 7 more turns with Hopelite and Mark to make tokens. That ought to be enough time. I don't think the Draw will change things too much.

Maybe 6-0?

Maybe 48? Whoa and here I expected my janky deck to get blown out left, right and center...
    Last edited by H; 07-15-2020 at 09:36 AM.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Sep 2011

1. Asthereal (TO): OTP or OTD, if I keep back 1 Cutter and attack for 5, you have no profitable counter attack (5+4+3+2+1 can't kill me), so you have to trade. We're down to 2/2 vs 1/1, which takes me 15 turns vs your 20 turns. WW 6-0
    2. Wrath of Pie: OTP make 7 power. You curve Apprentice into Astrolabe into Keldon, then tap down Rogue Elephant. I still attack you to 23-16-9-5-1-0 before Keldon resolves. OTD you tap down a turn sooner, which makes it 23-16-12-8-4 then Keldon resolves. If you ever attack, you lose, but you can hold off my team on defense. WD 4-1
    3. GoblinSmashmaster: Same as Asthereal. 2/2 beats 1/1. WW 6-0
    4. Moosedog: My clock is faster (5 turns), so you have to trade your deathtouch guys with a 3/3 and 2/2. Then my last 2/2 races your 1/1. WW 6-0
    5. alphastryk: I play out my guys T1. You suspend Keldon, then Crack takes out a Cutter while Gut Shot does nothing. Even OTP I can't race you before Keldon comes down, but you can't race me either so you have to leave it on defense. DD 2-2
    6. H: You become 4/4 to block, then go wide. I expected this to be policed by Sea's Claim and Evil Presence but no one played it! LL 0-6
    8. maxx!: If you attack, Rogue+Cutter trade with your 5/5 and the other Cutter kills you, so we stalemate. DD 2-2
    9. Tylert: OTP you're at 2 when the first Keldon resolves so I can attack through and race. OTD you're at 9 when the first resolves, so he can hold the fort. Then the second one resolves. If you try to attack with both for 8, I can race. If you attack with one and hold the other on defense, I can trade and still race the other. We draw. WD 4-1
    10. silkster: I have more dudes and can thwart your racing ambitions by holding back one Cutter to block. WW 6-0

36 points (10 wins, 6 draws, 2 losses)

Thread Information