Page 34 of 332 FirstFirst ... 243031323334353637384484134 ... LastLast

Thread: 4 Card Blind

Re: 4 Card Blind

6. Whoshim: Black Lotus, Laboratory Maniac, Gitaxian Probe, Force of Will

1. Asthereal (TO): Force of Will, Mental Misstep, Sea Drake, Black Lotus 6-0

2. Wrath of Pie: Mishra's Workshop, Steel Overseer, Phyrexian Metamorph, Force of Will 6-0

3. FTW: Chancellor of the Annex, Black Lotus, Laboratory Maniac, Gitaxian Probe 1-4

4. Tylert: Leyline of anticipation, Lotus petal, burning inquiry, nether spirit I can counter Lotus Petal. 6-0

5. Ace/Homebrew: Leyline of Anticipation, Black Lotus, Cabal Therapy, Butcher Ghoul I can counter Black Lotus. 6-0

7. GoblinSmashmaster: Leyline of Anticipation, Black Lotus, Balance, The Rack 6-0

8. H: Black Lotus, Patron Wizard, Force of Will, Leyline of Anticipation 4-1 (I need to get confirmation from H about this, as noted above.)

9. apple713: Leyline of Anticipation, Force of Will, Black Lotus, Laboratory Maniac 3-3

38 points. Playing with Black Lotus was fun while it lasted.

H, let me know if you agree with me about the score of our match.

It looks like the highest scoring decks were Black Lotus and Lab Maniac plus Gitaxian Probe/Chancellor of the Annex/Leyline of Anticipation/Force of Will. Apple's Leyline choice beat out my Gitaxian Probe choice by one point (apple was able to DD with FTW, but I DL).

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by GoblinSmashmaster View Post
    GoblinSmashmaster scores for round "ban lab man":

1. Asthereal (TO): You counter Lotus. 0-6
    2. Wrath of Pie: You counter Lotus. 0-6
    3. FTW: You counter Lotus. 0-6
    4. Tylert: Whoever plays a mana source first loses (e.g. if you play Petal, I respond with Lotus and cast my hand before you, and The Rack outraces Nether Spirit. If I play Lotus, you respond with Petal and cast your hand before me). We both do nothing and draw. 2-2
    5. Ace/Homebrew: Whoever plays a mana source first loses. We both do nothing and draw. 2-2
    6. Whoshim: You counter Lotus. 0-6
    7. GoblinSmashmaster: That's me!
    8. H: You counter Lotus. 0-6
    9. apple713: You counter Lotus. 0-6

Total: 4 points

Wow that's a lot of countermagic. I think I would beat just about any deck that didn't have Force, Leyline or Chancellor but everyone did! That's what I get for using a deck idea that was already spoiled.
    This looks right for me as well.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    Yes he can't resolve a threat but how do you actually win the game with Patron Wizard? It's basically a wall. If it ever attacks, opponent casts his spell and wins. You have to never attack and leave it up to counter, so those games are draws. You have no way to deal damage.
    This is a good point. I hadn't thought of sandbagging my Drake.
    H can't attack with the Wizard, because then I'll be able to cast my Drake and win the race.

So I guess the match between me and H also ends in a draw when I am on the draw.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Yes he can't resolve a threat but how do you actually win the game with Patron Wizard? It's basically a wall. If it ever attacks, opponent casts his spell and wins. You have to never attack and leave it up to counter, so those games are draws. You have no way to deal damage.
    Ah, yeah, in retrospect, Patron Wizard is terrible,
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Preliminary standings for round 1:

Rank. Username: score - season points
    1. apple713: 39 - 4,9
    2. Whoshim: 38 - 4,8
    3. FTW: 34 - 4,3
    4. Asthereal (TO): 29 - 3,6
    5. H: 24 - 3,0
    6. Wrath of Pie: 23 - 2,9
    7. Tylert: 4 - 0,5
    7. Ace/Homebrew: 4 - 0,5
    7. GoblinSmashmaster: 4 - 0,5

If these scores are correct, this leads to bannings for these cards:
    Black Lotus
    Force of Will
    Leyline of Anticipation
    Laboratory Maniac
    Mental Misstep
    Sea Drake
    Gitaxian Probe
    Chancellor of the Annex

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Whoshim View Post
    It looks like the highest scoring decks were Black Lotus and Lab Maniac plus Gitaxian Probe/Chancellor of the Annex/Leyline of Anticipation/Force of Will. Apple's Leyline choice beat out my Gitaxian Probe choice by one point (apple was able to DD with FTW, but I DL).
    I expected more people to play Chancellor of the Annex, since it takes up one less slot than FoW. I included Gitaxian Probe as anti-Chancellor tech (free spell to burn) that also helps Lab Man win faster. In this 0-Chancellor meta, Force was the better choice. Or Chancellor + Leyline instead of Chancellor + Probe (WW against the non-Leyline decks, DD against Leyline + FoW + Lotus).

Anyway, doesn't matter because all those cards got banned fast!

Poor Sea Drake. What did he ever do to deserve it.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

I expected more people to play Chancellor of the Annex, since it takes up one less slot than FoW. I included Gitaxian Probe as anti-Chancellor tech (free spell to burn) that also helps Lab Man win faster. In this 0-Chancellor meta, Force was the better choice. Or Chancellor + Leyline instead of Chancellor + Probe (WW against the non-Leyline decks, DD against Leyline + FoW + Lotus).

Anyway, doesn't matter because all those cards got banned fast!

Me too. I actually just forgot about the Chancellor, otherwise I would have played it.
    It's really embarrassing when I open my inbox to check PMs and I see decks with cards I'd forgotten about...

And yeah, I really love how after round one we already have a fringe card on the banned list.

Funniest vanishing ban I have been witness to was Abjure. (I once managed a Wurmcoil Engine ban in the first round of a vanishing 3CB variant, but that is not quite as funny.)

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

I confirm my score of 4 points :)

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Round 2 of 4CB Season 2, the Vintage Bannathon, has started!

I have PM'ed myself my deck for round 2, so you can start sending me your decks.

How the Bannathon works:
    Barring Unglued, Unhinged, conspiracy and ante cards, everything is unbanned at the start of the season.
    (Note: Chaos Orb is considered a random effect and will destroy your own board but not affect the opponent's board. So it's legal, but pointless.)
    After each round, we ban all cards from top scoring decks. This will work as follows:
    - If a round has 12 or more participants, all cards from the top 5 scoring decks get banned for future rounds.
    - If a round has 8, 9, 10 or 11 participants, all cards from the top 4 scoring decks get banned for future rounds.
    - If a round has 7 or less participants, all cards from the top 3 scoring decks get banned for future rounds.
    In this way, the banned list grows with each round, changing the meta, making new strategies viable. Keeping every round fresh.

For round 2, these cards are banned:
    Black Lotus, Force of Will, Leyline of Anticipation, Laboratory Maniac, Mental Misstep, Sea Drake, Gitaxian Probe and Chancellor of the Annex.

Season point scoring:
    This season, all players score season points for all rounds they play. Season points for each round equal total points scored for the round, divided by the number of opponents in that round.
    The tournament organizer will make calculations (read: have Google Spreadsheet figure that stuff out) and keep track of standings. Note: season points are rounded to one decimal.

I have created a new Google Spreadsheet, so everyone can see it and enter their scores: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

DEADLINE FOR ROUND 2: Wednesday the 24th of April, at 6:00AM Central European Time.
    (That's my time. Just send me the deck Tuesday evening latest, you'll be fine.)

PLEASE NOTE:
    - The way you send your deck to me matters. Please send it in the way described below, so it doesn't cost me an hour of editing before I can post all the decks.
    Please send your deck as follows: Goblin Guide, Mogg Fanatic, Pithing Needle, Cavern of Souls (so with card tags around each card, and not above eachother), with your Username and 4CB S02R01 in the topic. Many of you already did this for previous rounds. Thanks a lot, this really saves me the time and hassle of copying and pasting text and tags!
    - The banned list (you'll find it in the second post and in the Google Spreadsheet). So keep an eye on what you send in.

After the deadline has passed, I will post all decks on the forum here, and you can start puzzling out your scores.
    If you have any questions, please read the first two posts of this thread first. If you can't find the answer there, drop a message here. We'll answer a.s.a.p.

Happy deck designing everybody!

Wondering when War of the Spark cards will be legal, I think the set has some CB playables.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Wrath of Pie View Post
    Wondering when War of the Spark cards will be legal, I think the set has some CB playables.
    "Vintage Bannathon"

When are they Vintage legal?

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Quote Originally Posted by Wrath of Pie View Post
    Official release is set to May 3rd, as far as I can tell.
    So I guess from third round onward this set should be legal, assuming it will be legal in Vintage. I can't find anything about that just yet.

Also, under 24 hours until the deadline, and I have just 4 entries so far.
    Do you guys need an extra day because of the Easter weekend?

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Yes please. just came back from hollidays with no access to internet :)

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Round 2 of 4CB Season 2, the Vintage Bannathon, has been delayed for 24 hours!
    This because of the Easter holiday.

NEW DEADLINE FOR ROUND 2: Thursday the 25th of April, at 6:00AM Central European Time.
    (That's my time. Just send me the deck Wednesday evening latest, or Thursday morning before I have posted decks for the round.)

Happy deck designing everybody!

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

About 20 hours until the (delayed) deadline, we're at 5 entries now. We could use a couple more.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Asthereal View Post
    About 20 hours until the (delayed) deadline, we're at 5 entries now. We could use a couple more.
    I got sidetracked, I'll send mine soon.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    I got sidetracked, I'll send mine soon.
    You know, Patron Wizard is still unbanned...

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

A little hard to cast quickly though. 3x Mox Sapphire seems excessive.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Better gird your loins,

Thread Information