Page 96 of 332 FirstFirst ... 46869293949596979899100106146196 ... LastLast
Results 1,901 to 1,920 of 6623

Thread: 4 Card Blind

Sep 2011

Re: 4 Card Blind

6. FTW: Concealed Courtyard, Student of Warfare, Path to Exile, Evil Presence

1. Asthereal (TO): Looks like I'm not the only one who brought back Evil Presence with Hexdrinker out, but you prepared for the mirror! I can't level Student, but you can't play Forge Devil on an empty board either, so I just do nothing waiting to PtE Sadist if you ever play it. We draw. DD 2-2
    2. Wrath of Pie: I play Student. If you play Simic Growth Chamber, I Evil Presence it while it's tapped. If you play Mayor, I Path it. WW 6-0
    3. Tylert: Evil Presence is Evil. WW 6-0
    4. H: OTP I play Student of Warfare. Despise has no targets. Student races Thalia. OTD you Despise my Student. You play Thalia and I can't Path it. WL 3-3
    5. Moosedog: I Path to Exile your Student, and you Gut Shot mine. DD 2-2

19 points (5 wins, 4 draws, 1 loss)

No math! Student of Warfare could have been Benalish Hero in most of those games.

Site Contributor

Jul 2009
    Philadelphia, PA

1. Asthereal (TO): Blackcleave Cliffs, Evil Presence, Cruel sadist, Forge Devil
    Agree – DD

2. Wrath of Pie: Pendelhaven, Simic Growth Chamber, Oko, Thief of Crowns, Mayor of Avabruck
    Ok, i'm treating the mayor and gut shot as canceling each other out. So then its an Oko, student race.
    M; play student
    W-play pendelhaven
    M-student level 2. attack
    W-Play tapped land
    M-student level3 – attack
    W-play oko, make food. (oko6)
    M-student level 4-attack oko, use growth +2 (oko 1)
    W-make food an elk (oko2)
    M-student level 5-attack oko. Elk blocks.
    W-make food (oko4)
    M-level 6 student attack (oko1)
    W-make food into elk (oko2)
    And the cycle repeats until I get double strike and can kill Oko. Unless I’m missing a line you never have a window to chump with an elk and make student an elk. WW

3. Tylert: Mountain, Rakdos carnarium, Ensnaring bridge, Granite shard
    Agree, I got nothing for bridge LL

4. H: Blackcleave Cliffs, Inspiring Vantage, Despise, Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    Agree, DW

5. ME

6. FTW: Concealed Courtyard, Student of Warfare, Path to Exile, Evil Presence
    Agree, DD

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    No math! Student of Warfare could have been Benalish Hero in most of those games.
    You mean Eager Cadet, not being legal in Modern would have cost you quite a few points.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Quote Originally Posted by Moosedog View Post
    2. Wrath of Pie: Pendelhaven, Simic Growth Chamber, Oko, Thief of Crowns, Mayor of Avabruck
    Ok, i'm treating the mayor and gut shot as canceling each other out. So then its an Oko, student race.
    M; play student
    W-play pendelhaven
    M-student level 2. attack
    W-Play tapped land
    M-student level3 – attack
    W-play oko, make food. (oko6)
    M-student level 4-attack oko, use growth +2 (oko 1)
    W-make food an elk (oko2)
    M-student level 5-attack oko. Elk blocks.
    W-make food (oko4)
    M-level 6 student attack (oko1)
    W-make food into elk (oko2)
    And the cycle repeats until I get double strike and can kill Oko. Unless I’m missing a line you never have a window to chump with an elk and make student an elk. WW
    The Pendelhaven is relevant here. Wrath can use it to protect Mayor from Gut Shot.
    Join the 4 Card Blind competition!

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Standings for round 11 will follow after Wrath and Moosedog have resolved their matchup.
    But it looks like I'm clinching another round, which means I also take the crown this season.
    And it means for the season finale, we're looking at the banning of these cards:
    Blackcleave Cliffs, Evil Presence, Cruel Sadist and Forge Devil.

Since I should be there already, I'll just yolo the last round and play something rediculous. So here we go:

ROUND 12, the SEASON FINALE of SEASON 5: MODERN MADNESS has started.

I have PM'ed myself my deck for round 12, so you can start sending me your decks.

DEADLINE: Wednesday the 1st of April (nope, no joke), at 11:00AM Central European Time.
    (That's my time zone. Pacific Time it'll probably be something like Tuesday night a bit past midnight, so keep that in mind.)

PLEASE NOTE:
    The way you send your deck to me matters. Please send it in the way described below, so it doesn't cost me an hour of editing before I can post all the decks.
    Please send your deck as follows: Swamp, Mountain, Blightspeaker, Combust (so with card tags around each card, and not above eachother), with your Username and 4CB S05R12 in the topic.
    Many of you already do this. Thanks a lot, this really saves me a lot of time and hassle of copying and pasting text and tags!
    Don't forget to keep an eye on the banned list. It will grow every round. You'll find the banned list in the second post of the thread, or in our Google Spreadsheet.

After the deadline has passed, I will post all decks on the forum here, and you can start puzzling out your scores.
    If you have any questions, please read the first two posts of this thread first. If you can't find the answer there, drop a message here. We'll answer a.s.a.p.

Also, if you've been lurking on this thread and looking to join, you can step in anytime, any round. That's no problem at all. Just send me your deck before the deadline, and I'll add you to the competition.

Happy deck designing everybody!

Site Contributor

Jul 2009
    Philadelphia, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Asthereal View Post
    The Pendelhaven is relevant here. Wrath can use it to protect Mayor from Gut Shot.

Yep, good point. It's LL for me then.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Quote Originally Posted by Moosedog View Post
    Yep, good point. It's LL for me then.
    Thanks.

That concludes our calculations for round 11. Here are the standings:
    1. Asthereal (TO): 20 - 4
    2. FTW: 19 - 3,8
    3. H: 17 - 3,4
    4. Wrath of Pie: 12 - 2,4
    5. Moosedog: 8 - 1,6
    6. Tylert: 6 - 1,2

Which leads to these standings for season 5, after round 11:
    1. Asthereal (TO): 40,8
    2. FTW: 32,5
    3. Tylert: 30,3
    4. H: 28,3
    5. Wrath of Pie: 24,2
    6. Moosedog: 11,6

So FTW takes back second place, but other than that we've been pretty constant these last rounds.
    The last round unfortunately isn't as interesting as could have been, but the middle pack can still swap places, so there's still some stuff to fight for.

Good luck, and if anyone still wants to post ideas for season 6 (weird rounds with variants of 4CB and MtG), more ideas are still welcome.
    I'll be designing a season during the coming weekend, hopefully, so more info will follow shortly.

Since I should be there already, I'll just yolo the last round and play something rediculous. So here we go:
    Too bad Thalakos Lowlands isn't legal.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Quote Originally Posted by Wrath of Pie View Post
    Too bad Thalakos Lowlands isn't legal.
    Indeed.

If you need more Modern 4CB in your life, apparently Reddit is to the rescue.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

A little under a day until the deadline for the last round, and we're at 4 entries. Don't miss out!

Also, here's some news: I have created a plan for season 6:

4CB Season 6: Deviant Legacy
    Note: I will probably ban Force of Will. Yes. some of these are extremely powerful, but having a FoW deck win every round seems extremely dumb.
    Tips for cards to ban in specific rounds are welcome, but honestly, it's probably cool to just go nuts with these.

Round 1: Astroturf - Each player has this ability: Discard a card: create land token named "Astroturf", which has T: add 2 mana of any one color. This ability can only be used at any time you could play a sorcery.

Round 2: Commander - Each player submits a legendary creature as fifth card and commander with their regular 4 card deck, the commander starts in the command zone and the games are played out as they would in regular 4 card blind, but combined with commander rules: Players start with 30 life, players lose when they receive 21 or more commander damage, commanders can be played from the command zone, if a commander dies or leaves the battlefield, it can be exiled into the command zone but will cost an additional 2 generic mana to cast each time it is exiled to the command zone, players can only use cards that either match colors of their commander or are colorless. (Few edits underlined.)

Round 3: Tribal - Each deck needs to have at least two creatures of the same creature type.

Round 4: Russian Life Poker - Each player submits a life total between 1 and 30 with their deck, in each match the player with the lowest bid for life total is on the play in both games, if players submitted the same bid, the match is played out normally with both players one game on the play.

Round 5: Take Five - During the first 5 turns of the game, players can't lose the game, lose life or get poison counters. Addition bannings: Pact of Negation, Pact of the Titan, Slaughter Pact.

Round 6: Deja vu - All spells can be cast from graveyards as well. If you do, the card gains "if this card is put in a graveyard, exile it".

Round 7: Pauper - Only commons can be played. Lowest rarity counts.

Round 8: Storm Season - Your deck must lose 0-6 to Island, Plains, Storm Crow, Stormfront Pegasus.

Round 9: Blocked - All cards in your deck must come from the same block. No core sets or Modern Masters-like sets allowed.

Round 10: Life Support - Your life total is the total converted mana cost of all cards in your deck.

Round 11: 4.5 Card Blind - Each player submits a 5 card deck, the 5th card is only played in the game when you are on the draw, the fifth card has to be specified otherwise the tournament organizer will specify the fith card submitted as the card that will only be played on the draw.

Round 12 (finale): Medallion - All spells cost one generic mana less to cast. EDIT: Addition banning: Sensei's Divining Top.

(EDIT: So this will all be in Legacy format, with a banned list very similar to what we have from season 1.)

What do you guys think? Fun season like this?
    Last edited by Asthereal; 04-01-2020 at 06:11 AM.

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

A little under a day until the deadline for the last round, and we're at 4 entries. Don't miss out!

Also, here's some news: I have created a plan for season 6:

Note: I will probably ban Force of Will. Yes. some of these are extremely powerful, but having a FoW deck win every round seems extremely dumb.
    Tips for cards to ban in specific rounds are welcome, but honestly, it's probably cool to just go nuts with these.

Round 1: Astroturf - Each player has this ability: discard a card: create land token named "Astroturf", which has T: add 2 mana of any one color.

Round 2: Commander - Each player submits a legendary creature as fifth card and commander with their regular 4 card deck, the commander starts in the command zone and the games are played out as they would in regular 4 card blind, but combined with commander rules: Players start with 40 life, players lose when they receive 20 or more commander damage, commanders can be played from the command zone, if a commander dies or leaves the battlefield, it can be exiled into the command zone but will cost an additional 2 generic mana to cast each time it is exiled to the command zone, players can only use cards that either match colors of their commander or are colorless.

Round 3: Tribal - Each deck needs to have at least two creatures of the same creature type.

Round 4: Russian Life Poker - Each player submits a life total between 1 and 30 with their deck, in each match the player with the lowest bid for life total is on the play in both games, if players submitted the same bid, the match is played out normally with both players one game on the play.

Round 5: Take Five - During the first 5 turns of the game, players can't lose the game, lose life or get poison counters. Addition bannings: Pact of Negation, Pact of the Titan, Slaughter Pact.

Round 6: Deja vu - All spells can be cast from graveyards as well. If you do, the card gains "if this card is put in a graveyard, exile it".

Round 8: Storm Season - Your deck must lose 0-6 to Island, Plains, Storm Crow, Stormfront Pegasus.

Round 9: Blocked - All cards in your deck must come from the same block. No core sets or Modern Masters-like sets allowed.

Round 10: Life Support - Your life total is the total converted mana cost of all cards in your deck.

Round 11: 4.5 Card Blind - Each player submits a 5 card deck, the 5th card is only played in the game when you are on the draw, the fifth card has to be specified otherwise the tournament organizer will specify the fith card submitted as the card that will only be played on the draw.

Round 12 (finale): Medallion - All spells cost one generic mana less to cast.

(EDIT: So this will all be in Legacy format, with a banned list very similar to what we have from season 1.)

SOme rounds will be really whacky... it will be funny :)
    Just wondering about round 8. All decks will be really crappy, I mean, really really crappy. WIll it be a really interresting round?

Round 1: Astroturf - Each player has this ability: discard a card: create land token named "Astroturf", which has T: add 2 mana of any one color.
    Probably should be add two mana of any type, unless you want to secretly ban Eldrazi.

Round 2: Commander - Each player submits a legendary creature as fifth card and commander with their regular 4 card deck, the commander starts in the command zone and the games are played out as they would in regular 4 card blind, but combined with commander rules: Players start with 40 life, players lose when they receive 20 or more commander damage, commanders can be played from the command zone, if a commander dies or leaves the battlefield, it can be exiled into the command zone but will cost an additional 2 generic mana to cast each time it is exiled to the command zone, players can only use cards that either match colors of their commander or are colorless.
    The commander damage rule is 21 or more damage from one commander. Technically, the official 1v1 Commander variant has players start at 30 life, but said variant is basically disregarded at this point.

Nothing to say about these, although Take Five does ban life payments for those not paying attention.

Upside formats are dangerous, but this is one of the safer options.

Storm Season is actually going to be more interesting than Tylert thinks, although you missed a chance for double Storm Crow.

4.5 Card Blind is an elegant solution to being on the play giving a huge advantage.

Round 12 (finale): Medallion - All spells cost one generic mana less to cast.
    The most dangerous is saved for last.

We shall find out how fun it is.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

(a lot of things)
    Thanks.

I'll edit the Commander thing. I wrote that down as an idea and forgot to check the rules.
    Also, I'll edit the last one. I forgot to ban Top for that round. And yeah, it'll be sick.
    Astroturf will also be sick, and so will a number of other "extra" rounds.

I'm really looking forward to this season.

Probably should be add two mana of any type, unless you want to secretly ban Eldrazi.
    Actually, nah. This is good. Turn one Thought-Knot Seer is stupid anyway, and you can still play the real Eldrazi.

Sep 2011

I already see a really fun deck viable in Storm Season. I think it'll be more fun than Tylert thinks, and it will ban decks he hates like IoK + PtE.

For Take Five, with the current wording Karplusan Forest functions as a triland with no drawback. I don't know if that was intentional. A lot of cards that would normally cause self life loss as a result, not a cost, would have the drawback nullified. I don't think that was the spirit of the rule.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

For Take Five, with the current wording Karplusan Forest functions as Taiga. I don't know if that was intentional. A lot of cards that would normally cause self life loss as a result, not a cost, would have the drawback nullified. I don't think that was the spirit of the rule.
    I did not think Take Five through at all. I stole it from a 3CB Reddit thread.
    It looks super weird, and I'm pretty sure Stomping Ground mimicing Taiga is the least of our concerns.

Sep 2011

I did not think Take Five through at all. I stole it from a 3CB Reddit thread.
    It looks super weird, and I'm pretty sure Stomping Ground mimicing Taiga is the least of our concerns.
    Yeah I didn't want to spoil more broken interactions.... but it's begging for players to abuse the rule, like the Pacts would.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Yeah I didn't want to spoil more broken interactions.... but it's begging for players to abuse the rule, like the Pacts would.
    Indeed. Those Pacts were banned for that round of 3CB on Reddit, so I banned them as well.
    But we'll probably see some other amazeballz stuff. I have no idea what just yet, but I'm sure I'll think of something.

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

For round 1, can I create that land token at instant speed?

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by alphastryk View Post
    For round 1, can I create that land token at instant speed?
    Well, as written it would seem like it would be. Unless we choose to specifically limit it. I haven't really thought about the implications of each though, honestly.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Thread Information