Page 144 of 332 FirstFirst ... 4494134140141142143144145146147148154194244 ... LastLast
Results 2,861 to 2,880 of 6623

Thread: 4 Card Blind

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Re: 4 Card Blind

Scores for the final round:
    1. maxx!: 41 - 4,1
    2. Reeplcheep: 31 - 3,1
    3. GoblinSmashmaster: 29 - 2,9
    3. dte: 29 - 2,9
    3. alphastryk: 29 - 2,9
    3. H: 29 - 2,9
    3. FTW: 29 - 2,9
    8. silkster: 28 - 2,8
    9. Asthereal (TO): 21 - 2,1
    10. Tylert: 20 - 2
    11. Wrath of Pie: 18 - 1,8

So a super close round, where maxx! took a promising shot at the top of the chart. But was it enough?
    Before I answer that question, let's have a look at the bannings from this final round. These cards get the axe:
    Benevolent Bodyguard
    Nip Gwyllion
    Edge of the Divinity
    Healer's Hawk
    Tasseled Dromedary
    Bonesplitter
    Rakdos Carnarium
    Raven's Crime
    Gobhobbler Rats
    Khalni Garden
    Simic Growth Chamber
    Floodbringer
    Sprout Swarm
    Rimebound Dead
    Divest
    Beckon Apparition

So that's quite the list. And it might actually prove relevant for next season. More on that later.
    Time to look at the season standings after the last round.

Final standings for season 7:
    1. FTW: 40,9
    2. maxx!: 40,1
    3. silkster: 37,9
    4. H: 37,2
    5. alphastryk: 31,4
    6. Asthereal (TO): 30,3
    7. GoblinSmashmaster: 29,9
    8. Wrath of Pie: 27,7
    9. Tylert: 25
    10. dte: 16,8
    11. Reeplcheep: 15,5
    12. Moosedog: 12,5

There we have it: maxx! got close, but FTW takes another crown! A very consistent performance across these 12 rounds does it. Congrats and bragging rights to you!

About next season
    I'll have another look at the preferences you all posted for next season, but right now it looks like we'll do a season of Peasant (one uncommon, rest commons only).
    Also I believe the current preference goes out to a bannathon where we start with the banned list from season 7, and we add to that as we proceed through season 8.
    If you haven't posted yet about what you would like to play for next season, there's still time.

I'll be working on the next season during the coming days, and expect to launch next week. So there's no 4CB this week, but next week we should get going again.
    Stay tuned, and if you have questions or suggestions, be sure to post them here so we can discuss and so I get a better idea of what you guys would like to do this fall.
    Join the 4 Card Blind competition!

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

Most cards we've ever banned in a single round? 16 sure seems like a lot

Have we ever had a 5 way tie?

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Quote Originally Posted by Reeplcheep View Post
    Have we ever had a 5 way tie?
    I don't think so, but to be fair three of them had the same four cards.
    Still, 16 cards banned looks to be a record for this season.

Congrats and GG FTW!

Also, every single competitor in this season finished in the top 3 at some point and got some cards banned, so congrats and GG to everyone!

As for next season, I'm fine with Pauper. Using the current banlist makes sense to avoid repeats, but I would also be fine with starting fresh since I think uncommons will change things up quite a bit.

Sep 2011

GG maxx!, silkster and H for the close race!

There were some really creative pauper decks from everyone, a good change from the usual 4cb staples.

I'm impressed there were 8 different ways to spam a large number of 1/1s (Mark of Fury+Akroan Crusader, Empty the Warrens, Kuldotha Rebirthx2, Myr Servitor loop, Battle Screechx2, Selesnya Evangel, Midnight Guard + Presence of the Gond, and Sprout Swarm). I'm also impressed at how deep people went for "land destruction" and how many different ways there were to assemble Voltron beatdown.

My vote is for Peasant, continuing with this banlist to avoid repetition. The uncommon card pool should add enough diversity already.

We are preemptively banning Strip Mine, Ghost Quarter and Wasteland, right?

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Quote Originally Posted by Wrath of Pie View Post
    We are preemptively banning Strip Mine, Ghost Quarter and Wasteland, right?
    Good point. Are we? Who's in favour?

I personally think we can keep Wasteland and let it get banned in the bannathon, as we mostly play basics anyway.
    But Ghost Quarter and Strip Mine I think do deserve consideration for a preemptive ban.

Then again, Pauper also started out with all the sick stuff legal, and those cards were gone in two rounds, so it might not be necessary anyway.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

I think Wasteland is probably OK, will likely be gone in short order, but do we really want to wade through that much LD for 3+ rounds? I don't think so. I think Strip Mine and GQ should likely just be banned from the get go, lets things open up more.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Feb 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Asthereal View Post
    Good point. Are we? Who's in favour?

I personally think we can keep Wasteland and let it get banned in the bannathon, as we mostly play basics anyway.
    But Ghost Quarter and Strip Mine I think do deserve consideration for a preemptive ban.

Then again, Pauper also started out with all the sick stuff legal, and those cards were gone in two rounds, so it might not be necessary anyway.
    I am not sure (inexperience maybe?) if strip mine is much more busted than mental misstep, cabal therapy or sol ring in this format, but I would be for a pair-banning of strip mine and ghost quarter (when one gets banned due to being part of the top decks, the other get banned as well) as they are functional reprints here, and likely to be oppressive.

I'm fine with no preemptive bans. That's the point of the bannathon, right? Plus, the 1 uncommon restriction makes it hard to choose between which oppressive insane card you want to include. If you play Strip Mine, you can't play Misstep. If you play Therapy, you can't play Sol Ring, etc.

That said, I'm still new to the format and I'll go along with whatever the majority wants.

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

I would tend to think that Strip Mine & Ghost Quarter are probably fine - its a bannathon and being restricted to 1 single Uncommon also makes things like that harder to abuse. I say lets leave it all in there and see what happens. (feel free to blame me if it turns out miserable)

Quote Originally Posted by alphastryk View Post
    I would tend to think that Strip Mine & Ghost Quarter are probably fine - its a bannathon and being restricted to 1 single Uncommon also makes things like that harder to abuse. I say lets leave it all in there and see what happens. (feel free to blame me if it turns out miserable)
    I think that only being able to play 1 is a more interesting deckbuilding restriction if everything is fair game, like an extreme version of the point system in canlander.

Sep 2011

I'm fine with no preemptive bans, because we're doing a bannathon AND continuing with the Pauper banlist (so the strong commons are already banned).

If you use the only uncommon slot on one of those broken cards, you still have to pick one from the mix and then assemble it into a coherent deck with weak commons. That still leaves much design space open, plus they'll all get banned quickly. It won't be like the Block rounds where everyone played the same GQ deck due to the limited pool of 1 drops.

If we do start with preemptive bans, there's a long list of cards that would need to go, not far from the power level of Strip Mine and GQ.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Okay guys, I made my decision: we'll play Peasant Bannathon, continuing to add to the banned list from last season.
    Also, we won't ban any uncommon cards before we start season 8. There aren't enough people in favour, and the discussion about which cards deserve a ban could be long.
    So let's go:

4 CARD BLIND - SEASON EIGHT: PEASANT CONTINUED BANNATHON

Welcome to the eighth season of Four Card Blind.
    This season, we will play twelve rounds of Peasant: decks consist of one uncommon card, and the rest of the cards have to be commons (lowest printed rarity counts).
    Also, we will turn this into a bannathon, where after each round, the cards from the three best scoring decks in that round are added to the banned list.
    If more decks are tied for third, all cards from those are banned. There is one exception to the bannings: basic lands will NOT get banned.

But there's another catch: we will keep the banned list from season 7, and we will keep adding to that list during this season.
    So we start with the card pool after round 12 from last season, but we add all uncommon cards to the playable options.
    From here, we continue th ebanathon, so the list will grow further with each round, still changing the meta constantly.
    Note: we start with ALL UNCOMMON CARDS UNBANNED, so even the most broken uncommons can be played in round one. Don't worry though. That won't last long.

THE FIRST ROUND OF SEASON 8: PEASANT CONTINUED BANNATHON has started.

I have PM'ed myself my deck for round 1, so you can start sending me your decks.

DEADLINE: Wednesday the 30th of September, at 11:00AM Central European Time.
    (That's my time zone. Pacific Time it'll probably be something like Tuesday night a bit past midnight, so keep that in mind.)

PLEASE NOTE:
    The way you send your deck to me matters. Please send it in the way described below, so it doesn't cost me an hour of editing before I can post all the decks.
    Please send your deck as follows: Swamp, Swamp, Terror, Black Knight.
    So with card tags around each card, and not above eachother, and with your Username and 4CB S08R01 in the topic.
    Don't forget to keep an eye on the banned list. You'll find it in the second post of the thread, or in our Google Spreadsheet (I'll make a new one for season 8, but the old one is up to date).

After the deadline has passed, I will post all decks on the forum here, and you can start puzzling out your scores.
    If you have any questions, please read the first two posts of this thread first. If you can't find the answer there, drop a message here. We'll answer a.s.a.p.

Also, if you've been lurking on this thread and looking to join, you can step in anytime, any round. That's no problem at all. Just send me your deck before the deadline, and I'll add you to the competition.

Happy deck designing everybody!

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

The deadline has passed, but I'm missing one of the regulars. I'll do some work stuff first and give you some extra time.

(PS. Tylert, I got yours. You're good. )

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Quote Originally Posted by Asthereal View Post
    The deadline has passed, but I'm missing one of the regulars. I'll do some work stuff first and give you some extra time.

(PS. Tylert, I got yours. You're good. )
    My deck is so crappy. I wish you did not receive it :)

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Tylert View Post
    My deck is so crappy. I wish you did not receive it :)
    My deck is crappy and didn't get received! Trade?

I was pretty impressed with myself that I couldn't figure out a strip mine deck that could win against a 0/3.

Feb 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Reeplcheep View Post
    I was pretty impressed with myself that I couldn't figure out a strip mine deck that could win against a 0/3.
    You didn't need to, Phyrexian Walker is banned.

Thread Information