Page 87 of 332 FirstFirst ... 377783848586878889909197137187 ... LastLast
Results 1,721 to 1,740 of 6623

Thread: 4 Card Blind

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Re: 4 Card Blind

Quote Originally Posted by Wrath of Pie View Post
    Temple would be a more effective ban to avoid double-Thought Knot hands.

Eye of Ugin still enables the fast triple-Endless One hands, but Leyline of the Meek/3x Chancellor of the Forge is a better version of that, so Eye should be reasonable without Temple.

Crashing Footfalls is a lot better in a format with Daze and good Sphere effects, which Modern CB is most certainly not. If they do put Daze in Modern for some weird reason, it might be worth revisiting, but the vertical growth 1-drops are generally going to be better.
    True. When Footfalls lands, Chrono is usually in time to get to 5/5+ to meet the rhinos.

Meantime we're at 2 entries, with a little over 24 hours to go.
    EDIT: 3 now. EDIT2: 4 now.
    Last edited by Asthereal; 02-04-2020 at 09:25 AM.
    Join the 4 Card Blind competition!

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Deadline has passed, and I'm missing one of the regulars.
    I can give you a few more hours, while I finish some stuff at work, and then I'm posting what I have.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

And we're complete. Here we go:

DECKS FOR ROUND 4 OF SEASON 5: MODERN MADNESS

1. Asthereal (TO): Akoum Refuge, Grove of the Burnwillows, Punishing Fire, Assassin's Trophy
    2. Wrath of Pie: Blackcleave Cliffs, Evil Presence, Chronomaton, Stromkirk Noble
    3. H: Pact of the Titan, Pact of the Titan, Angel's Grace, Plains
    4. Tylert: Concealed Courtyard, Chronomaton, Path to Exile, Duress
    5. FTW: Cavern of Souls, Sejiri Refuge, Meddling Mage, Phyrexian Revoker

Please post your scores and cross-check with the opponents.
    I'll update the Google Spreadsheet for the season, so you can enter your scores there as well: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Asthereal's results for round 4:

1. Asthereal (TO): Akoum Refuge, Grove of the Burnwillows, Punishing Fire, Assassin's Trophy
    That's me, trying removal.dec this time around.
    2. Wrath of Pie: Blackcleave Cliffs, Evil Presence, Chronomaton, Stromkirk Noble
    OTD I am in time to kill your guys but can't stop Presence from screwing my mana (and therefor wincon), so we draw. OTP I'm in time to answer all your stuff, see below. 4-1
    OTP I'm in time to Trophy your Plains so you can't cast Grace. My wincon is instant speed so I win. OTD you're too fast. 3-3
    Duress can take my Trophy, but PF will be in time to kill Chrono and you can't stop the recursion. 6-0
    Mage can stop one of the removals, but the other one kills it and PF recursion wins it. (Note: a.f.a.i.k. PF is a triggered ability, not and activated ability.) 6-0

Total: 19 points

OTP vs. Wrath
    (line 1)
    A: Refuge
    W: Either cast Noble or Chrono
    A: Grove, cast Trophy on your land.
    W: (if Noble) Attack with Noble, Noble > 2/2
    A: PF Noble and win from here.
    (line 2)
    W: Cast Presence on Refuge
    A: Grove, pass
    W: Cast Noble, EOT Trophy on Presence.
    A: Cast PF on Noble
    W: Cast Chrono
    A: Retrieve PF
    W: Tick up Chrono to 2/2
    A: PF on Chrono and win from here.

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

1. Asthereal: I can take trophy, but you can recur punishing fire to kill chronomaton and win. 0-6 --> 0
    2. Wrath of Pie: I can't win because You will attack first, but I can draw on the play and on the draw by duressing presence, blocking noble and pathing chrono. 2-2 --> 2
    3. H: OTD and OTP, i can duress angel's grace to win. 6-0 --> 8
    4. Me.
    5. FTW: Forgot that i could grow Chronomaton to 3/3 OTP and draw. 1-4 --> 9

Total 9

Wanted to be faire this time :) A little bit too early :)

Sep 2011

Should have put more thought into this one. Submitted on a whim so Asthereal wasn't waiting. The other deck I had in mind would have done really well in this meta...

1. Asthereal (TO): 2nd removal will kill Mage, enabling the 1st to kill Revoker. LL 0-6
    2. Wrath of Pie: Even OTP Evil Presence shuts off Mage. Revoker names Chronomaton but is forced to block Noble. LL 0-6
    3. H: OTP I play Refuge, you play Plains. I cast Meddling Mage naming Angel's Grace and you can't go off. OTD you go off before Mage comes out. WL 3-3
    4. Tylert: OTP I play Refuge going to 21, you play Chrono. I Mage naming Path, you grow to 2/2. I Revoker naming Chronomaton. Revoker attacks into you. I win the 2/x race at 21 life. If you trade with Revoker, Mage gets there. OTD I still have to Mage Path before playing Revoker so you can get to 3/3. I can't attack into a 3/3, but you can't attack either (4-power races you), so we draw. WD 4-1

7 points (2 wins, 1 draw)

Edit: I can beat H OTP

Quote Originally Posted by Asthereal View Post

OTP vs. Wrath
    (line 1)
    W: Either cast Noble or Chrono
    A: Grove, cast Trophy on your land.
    W: (if Noble) Attack with Noble, Noble > 2/2
    A: PF Noble and win from here.
    (line 2)
    W: Cast Presence on Refuge
    W: Cast Noble, EOT Trophy on Presence.
    A: Cast PF on Noble
    W: Cast Chrono
    A: Retrieve PF
    W: Tick up Chrono to 2/2
    A: PF on Chrono and win from here.
    You missed line 3, because you can't win without Punishing Fire: Wait for you to play Grove, then Evil Presence that, and you can never Trophy or recur Grove. Thus you never play Grove and draw.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

You missed line 3, because you can't win without Punishing Fire: Wait for you to play Grove, then Evil Presence that, and you can never Trophy or recur Grove. Thus you never play Grove and draw.
    My entire deck is instant speed.

If you Evil Presence my Grove, I'll tap it for G in response.
    Then, after Presence resolves, I'll use my mana to cast Trophy on the Presence.
    So all I have to do is play my BR land first and Grove second, and I'm always safe.
    (OTP, that is. OTD I'm too slow and have to stop your guys first.)

Originally, I had this line included in my notes. Apparently I deleted it.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

I don't think this is correct, because I can't beat Evil Presence. Even on the play, if I lead on Plains, it gets turned into a Swamp and I can't play Grace. I need to untap with the Plains intact and that would never happen.

I did not think my deck out well, or seemingly, at all.

EDIT: Fairly sure I get 6 points, one win on the Play vs Asthereal and FTW, loses in all the rest.
    Last edited by H; 02-05-2020 at 11:01 AM.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

My entire deck is instant speed.

If you Evil Presence my Grove, I'll tap it for G in response.
    Then, after Presence resolves, I'll use my mana to cast Trophy on the Presence.
    So all I have to do is play my BR land first and Grove second, and I'm always safe.
    (OTP, that is. OTD I'm too slow and have to stop your guys first.)

Originally, I had this line included in my notes. Apparently I deleted it.
    If you do that, you also have to ensure that I can't make one of my creatures 3/3 and out of Punishing Fire range which would force you to Trophy my land instead, so it is not as simple as it looks.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

If you do that, you also have to ensure that I can't make one of my creatures 3/3 and out of Punishing Fire range which would force you to Trophy my land instead, so it is not as simple as it looks.
    I can. You have to make sure I don't just blow up your land as well.

With me on the play, life is simple. I open with Refuge.
    1 - If you make a guy on turn one, I Trophy your land and then Fire your guy and win. So you can't make a guy on turn one.
    2 - If you Presence my Refuge on turn one, I win in the way described in my post. Also, you don't get to Presence my Grove if you Presence my Refuge.
    3 - If you do nothing, the following will happen:

W: (wait)
    W: Play your land and Presence my Grove, I in response tap it for G, then wait for Presence to resolve. After it has, I'll use the mana to Trophy your Presence.
    A: (wait)
    W: cast Noble, EOT PF the Noble
    W: Chrono, EOT retrieve PF
    W: Tick up Chrono (2/2), EOT PF Chrono and then win.

If you play guys instead of trying to Presence my land, I'll just EOT cast or retrieve my PF.
    If you do nothing at all, I'll just EOT PF you or retrieve PF.
    I can do everything at instant speed, which helps tremendously.

With you on the play it's a different story, of course, as described in my post. Your Noble will be fast, so I'll have to kill it ASAP. Afterwards, you'll Presence one of my lands and I can't win anymore.
    With you on the play, I also have to play Trophy first, as I won't be able to cast it if you Presence my Grove (that's my only source of green mana). So all I have is this line:

W: Noble
    W: Attack (Noble = 2/2), cast Chrono
    A: Grove, Trophy Noble
    W: No matter which land you Presence (both make R), I'll PF Chrono next turn and we draw.

So I don't see a way for you to stop me from winning on the play, and on the draw I don't see a way to prevent the draw.

3 - If you do nothing, the following will happen:

W: Play your land and Presence my Grove, I in response tap it for G, then wait for Presence to resolve. After it has, I'll use the mana to Trophy your Presence.
    W: cast Noble, EOT PF the Noble
    W: Chrono, EOT retrieve PF
    W: Tick up Chrono (2/2), EOT PF Chrono and then win.
    I could wait to cast Evil Presence until after you cast Punishing Fire and it is in the graveyard. Probably does not make a difference, but worth considering.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

I could wait to cast Evil Presence until after you cast Punishing Fire and it is in the graveyard. Probably does not make a difference, but worth considering.
    Thing is: I can do everything at end of your turn, so you won't have time to do something afterwards.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Preliminary scores for round 4:

1. Asthereal (TO): 19 - 4,8
    2. Wrath of Pie: 15 - 3,8
    3. Tylert: 9 - 2,3
    4. FTW: 7 - 1,8
    5. H: 6 - 1,5

If Wrath still finds a way to draw our game where I get to start, I still win the round, so these cards get the axe for round 5 and onwards:

Akoum Refuge
    Grove of the Burnwillows
    Punishing Fire
    Assassin's Trophy

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

ROUND 5 of SEASON 5: MODERN MADNESS has started.

I have PM'ed myself my deck for round 5, so you can start sending me your decks.

DEADLINE: Wednesday the 12th of February, at 11:00AM Central European Time.
    (That's my time zone. Pacific Time it'll probably be something like Tuesday night a bit past midnight, so keep that in mind.)

PLEASE NOTE:
    The way you send your deck to me matters. Please send it in the way described below, so it doesn't cost me an hour of editing before I can post all the decks.
    Please send your deck as follows: Swamp, Mountain, Blightspeaker, Combust (so with card tags around each card, and not above eachother), with your Username and 4CB S05R05 in the topic.
    Many of you already do this. Thanks a lot, this really saves me a lot of time and hassle of copying and pasting text and tags!
    Don't forget to keep an eye on the banned list. It will grow every round. You'll find the banned list in the second post of the thread, or in our Google Spreadsheet.

After the deadline has passed, I will post all decks on the forum here, and you can start puzzling out your scores.
    If you have any questions, please read the first two posts of this thread first. If you can't find the answer there, drop a message here. We'll answer a.s.a.p.

Also, if you've been lurking on this thread and looking to join, you can step in anytime, any round. That's no problem at all. Just send me your deck before the deadline, and I'll add you to the competition.

Happy deck designing everybody!

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Alright, let's give the AsthWrath matchup one last go. I think I may have found a thing.
    If Wrath waits until I EOT use Punishing Fire to shoot his life, PF will be in the grave, and it costs me a turn to get it back.
    That would be the ideal moment to try for Presence and then drop all the guys and swarm me. So here we go:

A: Refuge (A=21)
    W: (wait) now, if I want to win, I'll at some point have to start casting PF. This moment is as good as any, so... EOT cast PF (W=18)
    W: Land, cast Presence on Grove, response: tap Grove for G (W=19), Pres resolves, before mana clears cast Trophy on Presence
    W: Cast Noble, EOT retrieve PF (W=20)
    W: Cast Chrono, attack with Noble, cast PF on Noble
    W: (wait)-> EOT retrieve PF (W=21)
    A: (wait)-> EOT Chrono +1, resp cast PF on Chrono
    And from here the creatures are dead and Presence is answered. Even this line is a turn too slow.

Does anyone see any improvements on the lines played?

(Note: If Wrath plays his land, I can Trophy it, stopping him from casting anything else, so he has to find a safe moment to play it.)

I couldn't find anything that made a difference.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Cool. Preliminary scores for last round become definitive scores then.
    Is that the right word? Or should I use final? Not sure...

Also, about 48 hours until the deadline, and we're at 2 entries. Don't miss out!

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Cool. Preliminary scores for last round become definitive scores then.
    Is that the right word? Or should I use final? Not sure...

Also, about 48 hours until the deadline, and we're at 2 entries. Don't miss out!
    GOt something ready. Still wondering if i send this or something else, but I will participate for sure.

Thread Information