Page 88 of 332 FirstFirst ... 387884858687888990919298138188 ... LastLast
Results 1,741 to 1,760 of 6623

Thread: 4 Card Blind

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Re: 4 Card Blind

Quote Originally Posted by Tylert View Post
    GOt something ready. Still wondering if i send this or something else, but I will participate for sure.
    Cool. Two more have entered already, so looks like everybody will make the deadline.

Unless new people, or veterans who took a break, would like to join as well. Don't be shy.
    Join the 4 Card Blind competition!

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Deadline has passed, and I've got all the regulars for season 5, so here we go:

DECKS FOR ROUND 5 OF SEASON 5: MODERN MADNESS

1. Asthereal (TO): Cry of Contrition, Fume Spitter, Chronomaton, Swamp
    2. FTW: Cavern of Souls, Simian Spirit Guide, Thalia, Guardian of Thraben, Chronomaton
    3. H: Chronomaton, Duress, Divest, Swamp
    4. Wrath of Pie: Blackcleave Cliffs, Evil Presence, Chronomaton, Stromkirk Noble
    5. Tylert: Blinkmoth Nexus, quicksand, Steel Overseer, Phyrexian Revoker

Please post your scores and cross-check with the opponents.
    I'll update the Google Spreadsheet for the season, so you can enter your scores there as well: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Asthereal scores for round 5:

That's me. Uninspired steal of a well scoring deck that hadn't got banned yet.
    2. FTW: Cavern of Souls, Simian Spirit Guide, Thalia, Guardian of Thraben, Chronomaton
    Totally forgot about Thalia. Thankfully my stuff can be cast through her. Spitter kills your Chrono, my Chrono outgrows and beats Thalia. 6-0
    3. H: Chronomaton, Duress, Divest, Swamp
    OTP I open with Chrono. If you cast yours, I'll kill it with Spitter and win. If you Divest Spitter, my Chrono will grow too fast and I'll also win.
    OTD You can Divest either Chrono or Spitter and the results are either Chrono staredown or my Spitter kills your Chrono, so draw.
    So here I score 4-1.
    4. Wrath of Pie: Blackcleave Cliffs, Evil Presence, Chronomaton, Stromkirk Noble
    OTP I open with Chrono. If you cast Noble, I'll grow Chrono the turn after. If you cast Chrono, I'll cast Spitter afterwards and kill it. Either way I win.
    OTD you're faster. Open with Noble. I play Chrono. When you attack with Noble I have to block and trade. Spitter will still kill your Chrono and we draw.
    So here I again score 4-1.
    On my first turn, I cast Cry. You have to discard a guy. If you discard Revoker, my Spitter will kill your Overseer and my Chrono wins it.
    If you discard Overseer, you can cast Revoker. If you name Spitter, my Chrono will win it. If you name Chrono, my Spitter kills Revoker and Chrono still wins it.
    So I win both. 6-0

Total: 20 points

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

H: Chronomaton, Duress, Divest, Swamp

My own deck against me, , at best I can draw. 1-4

On the Play I can Divest the Chrono, then grow past Thalia. I lose the Chrono race on the Draw. 3-3

3. H: Bye, myself.

I don't think I can win either of these. 0-6

Can't win either of these as well. 0-6

Looks like 4 for me. Obviously I should have gone back my first deck...
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Quote Originally Posted by Asthereal View Post
    On my first turn, I cast Cry. You have to discard a guy. If you discard Revoker, my Spitter will kill your Overseer and my Chrono wins it.
    If you discard Overseer, you can cast Revoker. If you name Spitter, my Chrono will win it. If you name Chrono, my Spitter kills Revoker and Chrono still wins it.
    So I win both. 6-0

Total: 20 points
    Hum... you forgot about quicksand that can kill chronomaton and force the draw twice. I'd say 2-2.

PS: one funny thing to notice: Chronomaton is played since the beginning of this season almost every round and is not yet banned. this card seems to suck... why is everyone playing it?? :)

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Hum... you forgot about quicksand that can kill chronomaton and force the draw twice. I'd say 2-2.

PS: one funny thing to notice: Chronomaton is played since the beginning of this season almost every round and is not yet banned. this card seems to suck... why is everyone playing it?? :)
    I'll wait and defend and grow Chrono until he's 22/22 and only then attack.

Okay maybe not 22/22. Your Blinkmoth might do a thing as well.
    Let's say I'll wait until he's 7/7 and then start attacking. That's a 3 turn kill.
    You have two ways to delay: chump with Moth, and chump with Revoker.
    This makes it a 5 turn kill. You can only beat me down to ~12 before then, so that should do it.

(Note: Quicksand makes a guy -1/-2. It doesn't actually kill it unless the guy is small enough.)
    (Note2: sorry about the 17 edits in this post. I hope you only saw the end product.)

Site Contributor

Jul 2009
    Philadelphia, PA

Whoops, I didn't realize the time zones for the deadline, but that's probably a good thing because what I would have submitted would have been crushed, ha. I will plan on participating next round.

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

I'll wait and defend and grow Chrono until he's 22/22 and only then attack.

Okay maybe not 22/22. Your Blinkmoth might do a thing as well.
    Let's say I'll wait until he's 7/7 and then start attacking. That's a 3 turn kill.
    You have two ways to delay: chump with Moth, and chump with Revoker.
    This makes it a 5 turn kill. You can only beat me down to ~12 before then, so that should do it.

(Note: Quicksand makes a guy -1/-2. It doesn't actually kill it unless the guy is small enough.)
    (Note2: sorry about the 17 edits in this post. I hope you only saw the end product.)
    Aaahhh Attacking creature :(
    ok.

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Quote Originally Posted by Moosedog View Post
    Whoops, I didn't realize the time zones for the deadline, but that's probably a good thing because what I would have submitted would have been crushed, ha. I will plan on participating next round.
    Welcome aboard. It's not a good thing you were not able to participate, because you missed on fun :)

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Quote Originally Posted by Moosedog View Post
    Welcome!

And yeah, timezones are a bugger sometimes. If you aim at sending Tuesday evening, you should be on time regardless of where you live.
    Looking forward to see you creation!
    If you have questions, be sure to let us know.

Aaahhh Attacking creature :(
    ok.
    Oh I didn't even mention that attacking thing.
    I played a lot with Quicksand way back when it was standard legal.
    It's such a known card for me I never even took into account I should mention that aspect.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

I almost always get crushed, when I make a decent deck, I play it in the wrong meta, .

Still fun though.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    I almost always get crushed, when I make a decent deck, I play it in the wrong meta, .

Still fun though.
    Indeed. Credits for my strong performance this round go to you exclusively.
    Your deck did well in the first two rounds but got outpaced by sick stuff.
    I reckoned it could dominate a few rounds later. I expected you to pick it back up as well.

1. Asthereal (TO): Cry of Contrition, Fume Spitter, Chronomaton, Swamp DL
    2. FTW: Cavern of Souls, Simian Spirit Guide, Thalia, Guardian of Thraben, Chronomaton WD - Thalia is bad at blocking Stromkirk Noble.
    3. H: Chronomaton, Duress, Divest, Swamp DD - Chronomatons just stare at each other.
    5. Tylert: Blinkmoth Nexus, quicksand, Steel Overseer, Phyrexian Revoker LL

1w4d = 7 points

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Indeed. Credits for my strong performance this round go to you exclusively.
    Your deck did well in the first two rounds but got outpaced by sick stuff.
    I reckoned it could dominate a few rounds later. I expected you to pick it back up as well.
    I was worried about Meddling Mage, evidently completely unwarendly, since no one played it at all, .

Still proud to see my baby, Fume Spitter, doing well, even for someone else, .

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

I was worried about Meddling Mage, evidently completely unwarendly, since no one played it at all, .

Still proud to see my baby, Fume Spitter, doing well, even for someone else, .
    Doesn't the deck play something like 3-3 against most Meddling Mage decks?
    I reckoned this:

OTP
    1 Swamp, Spitter
    1 Land
    2 Discard, haunt, Spitter sacs on itself, discard again
    2 ... has nothing to do anymore
    3 Cast Chrono and win.

OTD
    1 Land
    1 Land, Chrono
    2 Land, Mage, name either Spitter or Cry, depending on what helps more/cares less about their fourth card
    2 Grow Chrono and hope we get there?

Perhaps we draw and lose against Mage + Chrono, as we'll need to answer their Chrono as well and probably end up in a staredown OTP/be too late OTD.

Yeah, it really depends. Anyway, we don't have to worry about it anymore, as the deck gets banned now.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Yeah, I think it's likely a 3-3, which is pretty decent. But I got myself worried about it, then just got carried away with the idea of novelty, as usual, to my detriment.

Sep 2011

1. Asthereal (TO): Ironically I chose to play Thalia over Mage specifically to beat Cry of Contrition, but forgot I still lose to Fume Spitter. LL 0-6
    3. H: OTP I play T1 Chrono. You play Chrono. I win the Chrono race. If you keep growing to catch up to block and trade, I play Thalia and win. If you ever Divest Thalia, Chrono grows out of reach and wins. OTD you Divest Chrono. WL 3-3
    4. Wrath of Pie: OTP I play T1 Chrono. If you play Noble, I can block as a 2/2 so you never get an attack through. If you play Presence, I get locked off Thalia but my Chrono outgrows yours. Your best line is to play Chrono and try to match me. When I hit 20/20, you can block as 19/19 and grow to 20/20 to trade, but only if you grow every turn. If you ever play Noble to chump, I play Thalia to chump yours. If you play Presence, I grow out of range. I never attack and keep forcing you to grow to match me, or else you lose. We draw. OTD Noble gets through before I can stop it and I can't beat 2 threats. DL 1-4
    5. Tylert: Revoker locks down my bad 1-drop and your guys win. LL 0-6

4 points (1 win, 1 draw)

Ah, bad timing, turn 1 Thalia would have wrecked last week's meta.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Quote Originally Posted by Wrath of Pie View Post

3. H: Chronomaton, Duress, Divest, Swamp DD - Chronomatons just stare at each other.
    This doesn't match with:

H: Chronomaton, Duress, Divest, Swamp

I don't think I can win either of these. 0-6
    My brain tells me the truth is in the middle.
    Wrath begins with Noble, which will outgrow H's Chrono unless he immediately casts it. But then H can't Divest Wrath's Chrono. Wrath wins here.
    H begins with Divest on Chrono, after which Wrath casts Noble. Turn 2 H casts Chrono and blocks and trades with Noble for the draw.
    So to me this looks very much like Wrath - H ends in a 4-1 for Wrath.

Anybody find a better line?

Sep 2011

My brain tells me the truth is in the middle.
    Wrath begins with Noble, which will outgrow H's Chrono unless he immediately casts it. But then H can't Divest Wrath's Chrono. Wrath wins here.
    H begins with Divest on Chrono, after which Wrath casts Noble. Turn 2 H casts Chrono and blocks and trades with Noble for the draw.
    So to me this looks very much like Wrath - H ends in a 4-1 for Wrath.
    I think Wrath 4-1s all the Chrono mirrors, like he does against me.

OTP H plays Chrono first. It will outgrow Wrath's Chrono if Wrath ever does anything but cast Chrono and grow it every single turn. Wrath has no tempo to ever cast Noble or Presence or he loses the Chrono race. Both players pass growing their Chronos to infinity, leading to a draw.

OTD Wrath leads with Noble. H can play Chrono but doesn't have time to grow it to 2/2. He has to block and trade as a 1/1, then Wrath's Chrono comes down for the win. Stromkirk Noble was a smart choice for the mirror.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    I think Wrath 4-1s all the Chrono mirrors, like he does against me.

OTP H plays Chrono first. It will outgrow Wrath's Chrono if Wrath ever does anything but cast Chrono and grow it every single turn. Wrath has no tempo to ever cast Noble or Presence or he loses the Chrono race. Both players pass growing their Chronos to infinity, leading to a draw.

OTD Wrath leads with Noble. H can play Chrono but doesn't have time to grow it to 2/2. He has to block and trade as a 1/1, then Wrath's Chrono comes down for the win. Stromkirk Noble was a smart choice for the mirror.
    True, except for mine. Fume Spitter does amazing work there, which swaps the odds.

Thread Information