Page 63 of 332 FirstFirst ... 135359606162636465666773113163 ... LastLast
Results 1,241 to 1,260 of 6623

Thread: 4 Card Blind

Re: 4 Card Blind

Quote Originally Posted by Asthereal View Post
    You can use our Google Spreadsheet to have it calculate your points for you.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
    Thanks a lot, summing zeros is something I can do, I however need some more time and coffee to compute Gobbo vs. me to add the related points to the aforementioned sum ^_^

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Quote Originally Posted by Unlif3 View Post
    Thanks a lot, summing zeros is something I can do, I however need some more time and coffee to compute Gobbo vs. me to add the related points to the aforementioned sum ^_^
    I know. I can be a nasty bugger sometimes.
    Join the 4 Card Blind competition!

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Quote Originally Posted by Wrath of Pie View Post
    Off to figure out how to beat Ghost Quarter...
    Yeah... I'm not sure yet either.
    Do I join the Quarter quell, or do I play around it as much as possible?

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Tylert View Post
    shortfang + distress or kikku was a little bit less good than double shortfang in my books :)
    True! The variations I considered were Shortfang or Hand with Kiku, Distress, or Glacial Ray. Or Shortfang + Hand. I wanted removal to beat Jitte and I thought Hand was more resilient (doesn't die to Frostling, Reciprocate, Nezumi Shadow-Watcher, or Crack the Earth - which stops the Shortfang flip). But I never thought of Shortfang + Frostling or Shortfangx2. Both very strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Asthereal View Post
    You kill brother 1, but brother 2 blocks and kills the bouncing dude, which isolates the Cohort, no?
    The trick is I never attack with Glitterfang. Casting is enough to enable Cohort. Either the 2/2 trades (and then Glitterfang gets there) or the 2/2 races. Frostling takes care of enemy Frostlings, Brothers, or Shortfang. That's enough to beat a lot of decks... but it loses horribly to Shortfang + Frostling or Shortfang x 2.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Unlif3 View Post
    Ah damn, I thought Crack the Earth would be everywhere and as it turns out, noone played this and it would have been quite good. Um.
    3. Unlif3: Mountain, Gods' Eye, Gate to the Reikai, Gods' Eye, Gate to the Reikai, Akki Avalanchers

Eeeh, that's complicated and I think you misread Gods' Eye. I think I should play my Spirit-lands first to ensure I get full value on Akki as Kilu is a sorcery.
    For instance, OTP :
    God's Eye // Swamp
    God's Eye // Swamp, Hand
    God's Eye is a Legendary Land. When you play the second one, they Legend Rule. You have to sacrifice one of them, creating a Spirit token. You can never have both lands in play. I don't know if that simplifies your Gobbo matchup?

Yes, I misread God's Eye too. I assumed the Spirit had flying and that you could sacrifice more than one land at a time. Without flying I race easily. I don't understand the point of the deck if your land just makes a generic 1/1 nonflyer. If they were 2 Frostling you would have swept.
    Last edited by FTW; 09-13-2019 at 07:09 AM.

GoblinSmashmaster results for Round "2 Short Brothers"

1. Asthereal (TO): Untaidake, the Cloud Keeper, Mountain, Brothers Yamazaki, Brothers Yamazaki
    2 Brothers 2 Furious. 0-6

2. Wrath of Pie: Swamp, Mountain, Nezumi Shortfang, Frostling
    Stabbed in the whiskers. 0-6

3. Unlif3: Mountain, Gods' Eye, Gate to the Reikai, Gods' Eye, Gate to the Reikai, Akki Avalanchers
    Isamaru beatdown. Blocking is futile (Strike). Attacking is futile (Strike + Bushi flip). Resistance is futile! 6-0

4. GoblinSmashmaster: Plains, Isamaru, Hound of Konda, Bushi Tenderfoot, Hundred-Talon Strike
    That's me!

5. Whoshim: Shinka, the Bloodsoaked Keep, Untaidake, the Cloud Keeper, Brothers Yamazaki, Brothers Yamazaki
    Brothers from another mother. 0-6

6. H: Plains, Eiganjo Castle, Isamaru, Hound of Konda, Umezawa's Jitte
    Hound standoff. 2-2

7. Tylert: Swamp, Shizo, Death's storehouse, Nezumi shortfang, Nezumi shortfang
    Whiskers from another mister. 0-6

8. FTW: Swamp, Swamp, Hand of Cruelty, Kiku's Shadow
    Protection from white is just Cruel. 0-6

8 points
    Last edited by GoblinSmashmaster; 09-11-2019 at 03:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GoblinSmashmaster View Post
    He should have plenty of time to equip Jitte to Hound and have Eiganjo Castle ready to prevent 2 damage, so I'm not seeing how you force a draw.

EDIT: Never mind, I missed a line.
    Last edited by Wrath of Pie; 09-11-2019 at 05:21 PM.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Wrath of Pie View Post
    He should have plenty of time to equip Jitte to Hound and have Eiganjo Castle ready to prevent 2 damage, so I'm not seeing how you force a draw.

EDIT: Never mind, I missed a line.
    I don't see how H can win. Eiganjo + Jitte is too slow.

H: Isamaru
    G: Isamaru

H: Jitte. (If he attacks, he loses.)
    G: Bushi

H: Equip Jitte. Tapped out. If he attacks, Isamarus trade, then Jitte gets counters and kills Bushi. Otherwise...
    G: Pass with Plains open.

H: Attack with mana open. Isamaru + Bushi double block, with Bushi gaining +1 first strike. Eiganjo prevents the Bushi damage (no flip). Isamarus trade. Jitte gets counters and kills Bushi.

They have just enough tricks to negate each others' decks.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Preliminary ranking for round 9: Kamigawa block

Ranking. Player: score - season points:
    1. Wrath of Pie: 31 - 4,4
    2. FTW: 28 - 4
    3. Asthereal (TO): 25 - 3,6
    3. Whoshim: 25 - 3,6
    3. Tylert: 25 - 3,6
    6. H: 12 - 1,7
    7. GoblinSmashmaster: 8 - 1,1
    8. Unlif3: 2 - 0,3

Which, barring mistakes or changes, would lead to the following standings in the season:
    1. Asthereal (TO): 35,0
    2. FTW: 30,5
    3. Wrath of Pie: 26,1
    4. GoblinSmashmaster: 22,7
    5. H: 16,8
    6. Whoshim: 14,0
    7. Unlif3: 12,8
    8. Tylert: 11,3
    9. BirdsOfParadise: 6,3

With three rounds to go, the differences are still small enough to have several candidates for the title.
    I'll try to come up with a deck for Ravnica block soon. Stay tuned!

I'm glad my deck wasn't terrible. :D I did a little research, and it felt like a pretty strong aggro strategy, so I decided to run with it without exploring further. Normally, I look at every card in the block, but I just haven't had the energy these last few weeks. I do feel that my "all legendary" deck is slightly superior to Asthereal's.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Quote Originally Posted by Whoshim View Post
    I'm glad my deck wasn't terrible. :D I did a little research, and it felt like a pretty strong aggro strategy, so I decided to run with it without exploring further. Normally, I look at every card in the block, but I just haven't had the energy these last few weeks. I do feel that my "all legendary" deck is slightly superior to Asthereal's.
    Higher level of awesomeness indeed. I was too lazy to look for the red legendary land.

I'm a bit sad that no one here seems to get my reference abaout the "two brothers" though. Booh!

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Round 10 of 4CB Season 3, The Block Tour, has started. This round: Ravnica block (Ravnica: City of Guilds, Guildpact, Dissension)!

I have PM'ed myself my deck for round 10, so you can start sending me your decks.

DEADLINE: Wednesday the 18th of September, at 8:00AM Central European Time.
    (That's my time. Pacific Time it'll probably be something like Tuesday night 10:00PM-ish, so keep that in mind.)

PLEASE NOTE:
    The way you send your deck to me matters. Please send it in the way described below, so it doesn't cost me an hour of editing before I can post all the decks.
    Please send your deck as follows: Forest, Birds of Paradise, Swamp, Shambling Shell (so with card tags around each card, and not above eachother), with your Username and 4CB S03R10 in the topic. Many of you already did this for previous rounds. Thanks a lot, this really saves me the time and hassle of copying and pasting text and tags!

After the deadline has passed, I will post all decks on the forum here, and you can start puzzling out your scores.
    If you have any questions, please read the first two posts of this thread first. If you can't find the answer there, drop a message here. We'll answer a.s.a.p.

Happy deck designing everybody!

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Not really enjoying this round so far.
    Ghost quarter seems too oppressive while i'm considering cool decks that won't do anything because of it...
    Anyone up for an emergency ban?

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Quote Originally Posted by Tylert View Post
    Not really enjoying this round so far.
    Ghost quarter seems too oppressive while i'm considering cool decks that won't do anything because of it...
    Anyone up for an emergency ban?
    A ban would invalidate one of the decks sent in already.
    And I will have to rethink my entire strategy, which will delay the round because I have to send my deck first (otherwise I can adapt my deck to decks already sent).

But with enough people in favour I guess we could do it.
    So... who's in favour?

PS. Don't feel peer pressured to say you're in favour.
    There are good reasons to be against banning Ghost Quarter.

I prefer to play without any bans. The blocks are what they are, and I would rather play them that way.

I know I have missed a few weeks, but I actually have started working harder on my deck again.

I'm in for GQ to stay - it's there for a round, not for three months.
    Yes, the card is Strip Mine. You could also decide to bite the bullet, lose to it and prey on decks that play around it.
    Words of War was legit a few rounds ago yet noone played it a quite a lot of people would have lost to Mountain x3, Words of War.
    Choices.

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

I don't see how decks could not be something else than "GQ - land - one drop - One drop" or "Land, mana dork, one drop, one drop".
    But I will bare with it if GQ stays. no worries.

I bet you guys are all metagaming, thinking that nobody will play GQ as everyone will play a deck that is viable vs GQ :)
    So i'll play a Karoo land and beat you all!! (or maybe not).

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

So towards energency banning Ghost Quarter we have:
    - One in favour
    - Two against
    And I'm still on the fence.

Since we don't have much time between rounds, and most people lose all advance work they may have done, I'll keep Ghost Quarter legal.
    I'm well aware how much GQ will limit our options, and how badly it might influence the games, but this happened before, and we made it work.

i was on the cusp of suggesting a ban on Blackmail previously but was surprised by others’ ingenuity. If anything is constant from round to round it is that I’m surprised by other players’ ingenuity. Either someone will think of a clever answer or someone will think of a clever way to take advantage of the meta. I’m not competing this time but personally I don’t mind if some rounds are more open-ended and others are about dealing with specific problems. Whole formats in Magic (cough Vintage cough) seem to be about figuring out how to best use or best work around terribly broken and oppressive cards, and this is only a single round.

That said, if problem cards arise during the block tour, those blocks are ripe for revisiting later with the problem cards banned.

Thread Information