Page 98 of 332 FirstFirst ... 4888949596979899100101102108148198 ... LastLast
Results 1,941 to 1,960 of 6623

Thread: 4 Card Blind

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Re: 4 Card Blind

Quote Originally Posted by Wrath of Pie View Post
    Crashing Footfalls was the win condition.
    I guess that works, although does that really beat a fast Mayor? I don't really feel like doing the math there...
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    I guess that works, although does that really beat a fast Mayor? I don't really feel like doing the math there...
    Believe it or not, Mayor was on their initial ban list. (It does not, in case you were wondering.)

Sep 2011

Crack the Earth isn't that good. It's a reactive 1-for-2, probably worse than Raze.

It's conditionally good in that deck (Mental Misstep+ suspend threat) because it can act like a Balance deck. You suspend your threat, then blow up all lands so the opponent can't play theirs or play removal or grow their vertical growth guys. Crack is really bad against stuff like Mountain + Stromkirk Noble, even worse OTD. That's where Mental Misstep pulls a lot of weight, nullifying their T1 play. We've had MM banned from the beginning.

They also banned all discard (no way to remove the Crack) and the better versions (Restore Balance & Smallpox). And if they didn't have Crashing Footfalls legal, Crack+suspend DDs to someone sandbagging spot removal. 2 bodies are much harder to answer.

The deck is a lot worse without both Crashing Footfalls and Mental Misstep (which we banned since R1) or in a meta with discard or Mayors. Their meta had a lot of ramp decks that get shut down by LD strategies (Karoos, battery lands). Crack/Raze stops those decks. But so do Sea's Claim and Evil Presence without killing your own land.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Ladies and gentlemen, are you ready for...

THE SCHEDULE FOR SEASON 6: DEVIANT LEGACY

Round 1: Astroturf - Each player has this ability: Discard a card: create land token named "Astroturf", which has "T: add 2 mana of any one color". This ability can only be played at any time you could play a sorcery.
    Additional bannings: All cards that can make an opponent discard or otherwise remove from his or her hand more than one card at the same time.

Round 2: Commander - Each player submits a legendary creature as fifth card and commander with their regular 4 card deck, the commander starts in the command zone and the games are played out as they would in regular 4 card blind, but combined with commander rules: Players start with 30 life, players lose when they receive 21 or more commander damage, commanders can be played from the command zone, if a commander dies or leaves the battlefield, it can be exiled into the command zone but will cost an additional 2 generic mana to cast each time it is exiled to the command zone, players can only use cards that either match colors of their commander or are colorless and do not contain mana symbols of other colors. All cards can be played only once except for basic lands.
    Additional banning: Karakas.

Round 3: Tribal - Each deck needs to have at least two creatures of the same creature type.
    No additional bannings.

Round 4: Russian Life Poker - Each player submits a life total between 1 and 30 with their deck, in each match the player with the lowest bid for life total is on the play in both games, if players submitted the same bid, the match is played out normally with both players one game on the play.
    No additional bannings.

Round 5: Take Five - During the first 5 turns of the game, players can't lose the game, lose life or get poison counters. (Counting of the turns works as follows: player A gets turn 1, player B then gets turn 2, player A gets turn 3, player B gets turn 4 and player A gets turn 5. So when player A is on the play, player B will be the first to be able to deal damage and so on.)
    Addition bannings: Pact of Negation, Pact of the Titan, Slaughter Pact.

Round 6: Deja vu - All spells can be cast from graveyards as well. If you do, the card gains "if this card is put in a graveyard, exile it".
    Additional bannings: Dark Ritual, Lion's Eye Diamond, all cards that have or use the "storm" mechanic.

Round 7: Pauper - Only commons can be played. Lowest rarity counts.
    No additional bannings.

Round 8: Storm Season - Your deck must lose 0-6 to Island, Plains, Storm Crow, Stormfront Pegasus.
    No additional bannings.

Round 9: Blocked - All cards in your deck must come from the same block. No core sets or Modern Masters-like sets allowed.
    No additional bannings.

Round 10: Life Support - Your life total is the total converted mana cost of all cards in your deck.
    No additional bannings.

Round 11: 4.5 Card Blind - Each player submits a 5 card deck, the 5th card is only played in the game when you are on the draw, the fifth card has to be specified otherwise the tournament organizer will specify the fith card submitted as the card that will only be played on the draw.
    No additional bannings.

Round 12 (finale): Medallion - All spells cost one generic mana less to cast.
    Addition bannings: Sensei's Divining Top.

The fixed banned list you will find in the second post, as always, or in tab 2 for our new Goodle Spreadsheet.

I will open submissions for round 1 shortly. I have to create my own deck first. Won't take long though.

PLEASE NOTE:
    If anyone finds a card that would completely break a round and make it not fun, let me know.
    We can make emergency additional bannings for rounds before they officially start.

EDIT:
    Few additional bannings for round 6, some extra explanation for round 5. (April 8th)
    Last edited by Asthereal; 04-11-2020 at 04:26 AM.
    Join the 4 Card Blind competition!

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

ROUND 1 of SEASON 6: DEVIANT LEGACY has started.

This round we will play Astroturf:
    Each player has this ability: Discard a card: create land token named "Astroturf", which has "T: add 2 mana of any one color". This ability can only be played at any time you could play a sorcery.
    Additional bannings: All cards that can make an opponent discard or otherwise remove from his or her hand more than one card at the same time.
    The regular banned list you will find in the second post of this thread, or in the new Google Spreadsheet.

I have PM'ed myself my deck for round 1, so you can start sending me your decks.

DEADLINE: Wednesday the 8st of April, at 11:00AM Central European Time.
    (That's my time zone. Pacific Time it'll probably be something like Tuesday night a bit past midnight, so keep that in mind.)

PLEASE NOTE:
    The way you send your deck to me matters. Please send it in the way described below, so it doesn't cost me an hour of editing before I can post all the decks.
    Please send your deck as follows: Swamp, Mountain, Blightspeaker, Combust
    So with card tags around each card, and not above eachother, and with your Username and 4CB S06R01 in the topic.
    Many of you already do this. Thanks a lot, this really saves me a lot of time and hassle of copying and pasting text and tags!
    Don't forget to keep an eye on the banned list. You'll find it in the second post of the thread, or in our Google Spreadsheet.

After the deadline has passed, I will post all decks on the forum here, and you can start puzzling out your scores.
    If you have any questions, please read the first two posts of this thread first. If you can't find the answer there, drop a message here. We'll answer a.s.a.p.

Also, if you've been lurking on this thread and looking to join, you can step in anytime, any round. That's no problem at all. Just send me your deck before the deadline, and I'll add you to the competition.

Happy deck designing everybody!
    Last edited by Asthereal; 04-06-2020 at 04:10 AM.

Discard is too vague, you probably just want to cover effects that cause a card to be put anywhere from an opponent's hand other than onto the battlefield.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Discard is too vague, you probably just want to cover effects that cause a card to be put anywhere from an opponent's hand other than onto the battlefield.
    Actually, that makes discard too narrow, rather than too vague.

Do we want to reword this? I haven't received any decks yet, so it's possible...

I would advise it unless you want us to struggle for sanity.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Alright. I'll be quick about it.
    EDIT: Done. I worded it a little simpler, but there's no reason to play Eureka anyway.

Stronghold Gambit luckily escapes.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Stronghold Gambit luckily escapes.
    Indeed it does.

Anyway, I have three entries now, and there are still questions here and there.
    Shall I add another day to the deadline, or is everybody cool with the current deadline in two days?

Also, if you have already sent a deck, but want to change something, you can do so still.
    Just send me a new deck. I will post the most recent thing you PM me.

EDIT: 4 entries now, and no requests to delay the deadline yet.
    Last edited by Asthereal; 04-07-2020 at 06:07 AM.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Oops, I forgot, going to have to brew something extra bad up now in a hurry.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

I'm missing one of the regulars still with about 90 minutes on the clock.
    I'll give you some extra time if you need it.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Asthereal View Post
    I'm missing one of the regulars still with about 90 minutes on the clock.
    I'll give you some extra time if you need it.
    Didn't think you'd be ready this early. Give me about 20 mins.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

All regulars have sent their decks, and we have a new player!
    Welcome, alphastryk, to our little competition of chaos.

DECKS FOR ROUND ONE OF SEASON 6 - DEVIANT LEGACY: ASTROTURF

1. Asthereal (TO): Karrthus, Tyrant of Jund, Broodmate Dragon, Shivan Dragon, Living Death
    2. Wrath of Pie: Squee, Goblin Nabob, Legacy Weapon, Liliana of the Veil, Maelstrom Pulse
    3. Tylert: Unburial Rites, Iona, Shield of Emeria, Counterspell, Force of Negation
    4. alphastryk: Noxious Revival, Necromancy, Emrakul, the Eons Torn, Smallpox
    5. Moosedog: Lion’s Eye Diamond, Auriok Salvagers, Walking Ballista , Surgical Extraction
    6. H: Lion's Eye Diamond, From Under the Floorboards,From Under the Floorboards, Emrakul, The Aeons Torn
    7. FTW: Assassin's Trophy, Oko, Thief of Crowns, Unburial Rites, Iona, Shield of Emeria

Please post your scores and cross-check with the opponents.
    I'll update the Google Spreadsheet for the season, so you can enter your scores there as well: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Asthereal's scores for round 1:

1. Asthereal (TO): Karrthus, Tyrant of Jund, Broodmate Dragon, Shivan Dragon, Living Death
    Dangerous dragons are dangerous. Vulnerable too, but that's okay. Please note: I can hardcast Broodmate or Shivan Dragon, if necessary.
    2. Wrath of Pie: Squee, Goblin Nabob, Legacy Weapon, Liliana of the Veil, Maelstrom Pulse
    OTP dragons kill on turn 1. OTD you can Lily discard. I'll drop Shiv, LD Karrth and Brood, attack and kill Lily with a token and attack you for 11 on T1. You have to Pulse Karrth, I attack you to 1 with Brood + token. I think youér too slow to stop the onslaught. 6-0
    3. Tylert: Unburial Rites, Iona, Shield of Emeria, Counterspell, Force of Negation
    OTP I hardcast Shivan Dragon, which will trade or staredown Iona. OTD you can win in seven or so ways. 1-4
    EDIT: I was too tired yesterday and screwed everything up. I'll calculate again later.
    5. Moosedog: Lion’s Eye Diamond, Auriok Salvagers, Walking Ballista, Surgical Extraction
    Auriok Salvagers, neat! EDIT: Faster than I though yesterday when my brain didn't work. I'll calculate later.
    6. H: Lion's Eye Diamond, From Under the Floorboards,From Under the Floorboards, Emrakul, The Aeons Torn
    OTP dragons kill on turn 1. OTD... uh... what does this deck even do? Best I see is turn 1 5 zombies and 5 life? So I make dragons and beat you for 22 (one red mana left for Shiv firebreathing). You go to 3 life, and draw the least relevant card (Emry reshuffles everything and order is in your disadvantage), which is LED, with 3 Turfs on the table. You can beat me to 10 life but on turn 2 I win? Or do I completely misunderstand this deck? 6-0 for now.
    7. FTW: Assassin's Trophy, Oko, Thief of Crowns, Unburial Rites, Iona, Shield of Emeria
    OTP dragons kill on turn 1. OTD Iona on black means I can only hardcast Shiv. Now you can either win by Trophying Shiv or by making Oko and using him. 3-3

Total: 16 points? Why did so few of you use grave hate? I was sure at least half the decks would contain Leyline of the Void and wreck me.
    Last edited by Asthereal; 04-09-2020 at 03:34 AM.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

OTP dragons kill on turn 1. OTD... uh... what does this deck even do? Best I see is turn 1 5 zombies and 5 life? So I make dragons and beat you for 22 (one red mana left for Shiv firebreathing). You go to 3 life, and draw the least relevant card (Emry reshuffles everything and order is in your disadvantage), which is LED, with 3 Turfs on the table. You can beat me to 10 life but on turn 2 I win? Or do I completely misunderstand this deck? 6-0 for now.
    It's called "I didn't have much time" so the deck was even worse than my usual effort. In fact, I am fairly certain I don't win a single game. Enjoy the free points everyone!

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Asthereal's scores for round 1:

Dangerous dragons are dangerous. Vulnerable too, but that's okay. Please note: I can hardcast Broodmate or Shivan Dragon, if necessary.
    OTP dragons kill on turn 1. OTD you can Lily discard. I'll drop Shiv, LD Karrth and Brood, attack and kill Lily with a token and attack you for 11 on T1. You have to Pulse Karrth, I attack you to 1 with Brood + token. I think youér too slow to stop the onslaught. 6-0
    OTP I hardcast Shivan Dragon, which will trade or staredown Iona. OTD you can win in seven or so ways. 1-4
    OTP dragons kill on turn 1. OTD you can threaten to Necromancy Karrth in response to living Death, which is neat. But if I hardcast Broodmate and make a token, you can steal them with Karrth anyway. So I wait and you slowly make Emrakul and kill me. 3-3
    5. Moosedog: Lion’s Eye Diamond, Auriok Salvagers, Walking Ballista, Surgical Extraction
    Auriok Salvagers, neat! Bit slow though. OTP I make dragons. You Extract Karrth, leaving me with a T3 kill. Which is slow. T1 you discard Ballista and Diamond for Turfs, cast Auriok. I attack for 19 with Broodmate, token and Firebreathing Shiv. You make eternal Turfs, but they're tapped, so I get to attack for the win next turn. OTD you have a turn more, so you get to blow up the world and everything with eternal Ballista. 3-3
    OTP dragons kill on turn 1. OTD Iona on black means I can only hardcast Shiv. Now you can either win by Trophying Shiv or by making Oko and using him. 3-3

Total: 22 points? Why did so few of you use grave hate? I was sure at least half the decks would contain Leyline of the Void and wreck me.
    My other deck was including Leyline of the void and would not have done better. They played on both lines.
    I'm Lucky people have not played so much Grave hate.

5. Moosedog: Lion’s Eye Diamond, Auriok Salvagers, Walking Ballista , Surgical Extraction

1. Asthereal. OTP, I can Iona for red and keep negation to counter living death. OTD, you can hardcast Broodmate dragon or shivan and draw. 4-1 --> 4
    2. Wrath of Pie: OTP, I can T1 Iona, naming black then, you can cast legacy weapon that i can force. You can't legacy weapon before I kill you with Iona.
    OTD: I'm one turn too late it seems. Can you confirm? 3-3 --> 7
    3. Me.
    4. Aphastryk: Welcome! OTP, I unburial rites Iona, naming black and wins. OTD, You have two piece of hate for my combo. If i counter one spell with counterspell you can break it and then I can't win. However, on your side you can pile up lands with emrakul. 3-3 --> 10
    5. Moosedog: OTP I can discard Iona, rites and force to have 6 mana up and counter your surgical extraction. Iona will name white and I win. OTD, it seems like you can drop salvagers on turn one, so you can go infinite on turn 2. 3-3 --> 13
    6. H: OTP, I can Iona for Black and win. OTD, I can force The first from under the floorboard and name black and win. 6-0 --> 19.
    7. FTW: OTP, I rez Iona, name Black and then force Oko to win. OTD, I force whatever you play on turn one (Oko or unburial rites) and the rites Iona for black or Green depending on what you have in hand. 6-0 --> 25.

The counterspell should probably have been a misthollow griffin but it has no impact here :)
    I like how force of negation can only counter spell for free during the opponents turn, that makes it a fair card that can't help combo decks, good for this format.

Total 25.
    Last edited by Tylert; 04-08-2020 at 02:12 PM.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Quote Originally Posted by Tylert View Post
    The counterspell should probably have been a misthollow griffin but it has no impact here :)
    I like how force of negation can only counter spell for free during the opponents turn, that makes it a fair card that can't help combo decks, good for this format.
    I really like how in your deck you can pitch Counterspell to Force, or discard Force to make an Astroturf land so you can cast Counterspell.

Satisfying interaction.

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

I really like how in your deck you can pitch Counterspell to Force, or discard Force to make an Astroturf land so you can cast Counterspell.

Satisfying interaction.
    Man, I forgot that... reviewing my score... thks :)

Thread Information