Page 149 of 332 FirstFirst ... 4999139145146147148149150151152153159199249 ... LastLast
Results 2,961 to 2,980 of 6623

Thread: 4 Card Blind

Feb 2014

Re: 4 Card Blind

Quote Originally Posted by Wrath of Pie View Post
    1. Asthereal (TO): Plains, Law-Rune Enforcer, Knight of Old Benalia, Path to Exile DL
    I think you draw twice:
    A OTP
    A KoOB, WoP post.
    If A play LRE, WoP sculler the path and draws. If A wait with Path, WoP plays sculler, sculler get path'ed and exile LRE, Boot Nipper and KoOB draw.

and

11. Tylert: Plains, Chronomaton, Doomed Traveler, Sunlance DD
    You lose twice:
    WoP OTP
    T1 post, chronomaton.
    T2 sculler takes sunlance to protect Nipper, Tylert plays traveller.
    Boot Nipper deathtouch threatens to block chronomaton, but doomed traveller can attack: if he is blocked, the token flies FTW.

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    9. FTW: Bojuka Bog, Mountain, Elixir of Immortality, Chain Lightning
    I can only assume this means I was less slow than Reeplcheep and Tylert

6. H: OTP I play Elixir first. By activating Elixir EOT, I can always recast it as soon as I draw it, dodging Blackmail. Chain Lightning kills you and your guy. OTD you can Blackmail Elixir or a land, breaking the loop, and I Chain your guy to draw. WD 4-1
    H OTP, he can take mountain or chain and win, H OTD takes bog to prevent recursion. DL 1-4?

Quote Originally Posted by GoblinSmashmaster View Post
    GoblinSmashmaster Results for Round "Knights of Ni"

2. GoblinSmashmaster: Island, Firewild Borderpost, Invisible Stalker, Taste for Mayhem
    That's me!

7. maxx!: Forest, Scavenger Folk, Young Wolf, Noxious Revival
    Stalker smash! 6-0
    Scavenger takes Borderpost, so no stalker OTD and no taste OTP. LL

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by dte View Post
    H OTP, he can take mountain or chain and win, H OTD takes bog to prevent recursion. DL 1-4?
    H: Swamp, Swamp, Blackmail, Porcelain Legionnaire

With H OTP I hide Mountain from Blackmail. If he takes Chain, I just play my 2 lands and Elixir and get Chain back to win. Instead he takes Bog or Elixir to stop my loop, but I can Chain his creature to draw.

With H OTD you're right, I forgot he could take my 2nd land and I can't Elixir it back, but I can Chain his creature to draw.
    DD

I knew discard would be tough. I was hoping banning most good black common wincons would have discouraged the use of black discard, but Legionnaire and Tidehollow Sculler are creative ways around that!
    Last edited by FTW; 10-14-2020 at 01:20 PM.

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

1. Asthereal (TO): Plains, Law-Rune Enforcer, Knight of Old Benalia, Path to Exile
    2 threats and a removal spell? I don't see how I can beat that. LL

0-6

2. GoblinSmashmaster: Island, Firewild Borderpost, Invisible Stalker, Taste for Mayhem
    if I FoW the border post, you don't cast another spell. WW

6-0

3. dte: plains, Knight of Old Benalia, Knight of Old Benalia, path to exile
    2 threats and a removal spell? I don't see how I can beat that. LL

0-6

4. alphastryk: Plains, Knight of Old Benalia, Force of Will, Zealous Guardian
    This is me

5. Wrath of Pie: Swamp, Fieldmist Borderpost, Tidehollow Sculler, Boot Nipper
    if I FoW the border post, you don't cast another spell. WW

6-0

6. H: Swamp, Swamp, Blackmail, Porcelain Legionnaire
    OTP: I can suspend my 3/3 and then you take my Guardian so I can't force or play a second creature. your creature wins the race and has First Strike. L
    OTD: I can't beat Blackmail

0-6

FoW is unimpressive here, but I think I can force a draw by having a 3/3. After a certain point, I can't attack into the undead wolf and the Folk but the 3/3 plays defense so you can't attack. DD

2-2

8. silkster: Fountain of Cho, Steadfast Sentinel, Oblivion Ring, Oblivion Ring
    Double removal and a resilient threat - can't beat that! LL

0-6

I can always FoW the Elixir to stop the loop, but I can't revert Chain Lightning from killing my threat. DD

2-2

10. Reeplcheep: Forest, Davriel, Rogue Shadowmage ,Golgari Rot-Farm ,Arboreal Grazer
    FoW beats Davriel. WW

6-0

11. Tylert: Plains, Chronomaton, Doomed Traveler, Sunlance
    I should always be able to FoW the Chronomaton and race the Traveler, and Sunlance is a blank. WW

6-0

Quote Originally Posted by Tylert View Post
    I did not want to tell you last round that your deck was suboptimal, but you found it out yourself, goodjob :)
    It wasn't my deck last time around, I actually borrowed it from silkster when I saw a chance to add a minor upgrade!

Total: 28 points

maxx!: Forest, Scavenger Folk, Young Wolf, Noxious Revival

1. Asthereal (TO): Plains, Law-Rune Enforcer, Knight of Old Benalia, Path to Exile
    Path is real good against Young Wolf and the Knight is too big for me. 0-6

Folk blows up your Borderpost on my 2nd turn. OTP that means you can't cast anything else. OTD you can play Stalker but no Taste. I can use Revival to get Folk back so I have 2 threats to race your 1/1 Stalker. 6-0

This is just like my matchup against Asthereal, except even worse somehow. 0-6

I finally catch a small break here. FoW isn't enough to stop Young Wolf from landing, so eventually I end up with a 2/2 and a 1/1 vs your 3/3. You could try to use the Guardian as a threat instead of pitching it, but then I get to recycle one of my threats, so I don't think it makes a difference. Pretty sure this is 2-2

OTP Folk gets the Borderpost before you can do anything. OTD Folk lands before Sculler can take it, and then it can blow up Sculler. Young Wolf beats Boot Nipper. 6-0

Noxious "counters" Blackmail and then Folk blows up Legionnaire. 6-0

This is me :]

Not even close. 0-6

I might be missing something but I think Noxious plus Scavenger Folk lets me catch the Elixir OTP. I play Folk, you kill it, I Noxious EOT (2 life) and draw+play Folk again, and now if you ever cast Elixir I can blow it up before you activate it. OTD you can lead with Elixir, I play Folk, you Chain Lightning and then Bog to force my Noxious, I draw and play Folk, and then you can activate Elixir and I can't win from there. 3-3 edit: You can pass turn 1 and always play Chain and Elixir on the same turn, so Folk never catches the Elixir. 0-6

10. Reeplcheep: Forest, Davriel, Rogue Shadowmage ,Golgari Rot-Farm ,Arboreal Grazer
    I can't even beat the Grazer by itself. 0-6 I have 2 guys and Reep can only block 1 at a time, so I kill the planeswalker and eventually Reep. 6-0

This is somewhat tricky. On paper I have you covered (Noxious "trades" with Sunlance, Folk trades with Chronomaton, Young Wolf dying is better than Doomed Traveler dying), but I can't find any lines that actually let me win. Scavenger Folk and Chronomaton trade, but if you make sure that Doomed Traveler and Young Wolf trade (either by attacking first or blocking if I attack first), and then Sunlance the Wolf after it becomes a 2/2, I don't think I can win. You'll have a 1 turn lead attacking in the air, and I can't kill my Wolf again to win the race. 0-6 unless somebody can find a better line for me dte explains below, but I should be able to force a draw. 2-2

0+6+0+2+6+6+0+0+6+2 = 28

This is not the meta I was expecting this week, haha.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by maxx! View Post

I might be missing something but I think Noxious plus Scavenger Folk lets me catch the Elixir OTP. I play Folk, you kill it, I Noxious EOT (2 life) and draw+play Folk again, and now if you ever cast Elixir I can blow it up before you activate it. OTD you can lead with Elixir, I play Folk, you Chain Lightning and then Bog to force my Noxious, I draw and play Folk, and then you can activate Elixir and I can't win from there. 3-3
    I sequence like this.
    T1 - Bog tapped
    T2 - Mountain. Chain either you or Scavenger (ignore Wolf). Elixir. (Turn A)
    T3 - Upkeep activate Elixir. Gain 5 life. Draw 1 of the 2 cards. (Turn B)
    T4 - Draw other card. Chain Lightning you or Scavenger. Elixir. (Turn A)
    T5 - Turn B
    T6 - Turn A

I alternate back and forth between Turn A and Turn B, always casting Chain into Elixir on the same turn, then activating on the next turn.

There should be no window for you to use Scavenger.
    If you cast it in the early game (before Turn A) or between B and A, Chain Lightning kills it before Elixir lands.
    If you cast it between A and B, due to summoning sickness and tapped mana, you can't activate it before I use Elixir on turn B upkeep, then it's exposed to Chain Lightning on my next turn A.

It doesn't matter when you use Noxious or when you cast Scavenger. Neither turn is enough of an opening.
    Unless I am missing something?

Summoning sickness is enough for me to beat it. I can't beat O-Ring though, because I went with 2-mana instead of 3-mana. Replacing Bog with a bounceland would have netted me 10 more points! Bog turned out to be unnecessary tech against pseudo-mirrors. +5 life per turn and dodging all removal is also tech.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Asthereal's scores for round 3:

That's me, with a simple deck.
    My removal isn't great against your threat. 0-6
    We trade resources. 2-2
    I have more resources. 6-0
    Uh... Sculler is weird against Path. So we trade resources. There's a line where I try for the win, but you're too far ahead in life to go for it. 2-2
    I hide the land, and my guys beat yours, unless you take one of them, in which case I Path your guy and I'll be the only one with a threat. 6-0
    Path Wolf, Folk looks a bit silly against my team. Interesting tech, though I'm not sure what you were plotting against. 6-0
    We trade all them resources. 2-2
    Hmm, you Chain my dudes and then me. I did not take this deck into account at all. Well done. 0-6
    My 3/3 dude should take down the planeswalker before I die to it. I did not expect a planeswalker though. Cool deck! 6-0
    Path Chrono, Sunlance can't hurt my team, my team > Traveler. 6-0

Total: 36 points, assuming I didn't miss anything.
    Join the 4 Card Blind competition!

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

I can't even beat the Grazer by itself. 0-6
    You have two guys against his one 0/3 defender. Can't you just attack with both and slowly kill the planeswalker?

Feb 2014

I can't even beat the Grazer by itself. 0-6

This is somewhat tricky. On paper I have you covered (Noxious "trades" with Sunlance, Folk trades with Chronomaton, Young Wolf dying is better than Doomed Traveler dying), but I can't find any lines that actually let me win. Scavenger Folk and Chronomaton trade, but if you make sure that Doomed Traveler and Young Wolf trade (either by attacking first or blocking if I attack first), and then Sunlance the Wolf after it becomes a 2/2, I don't think I can win. You'll have a 1 turn lead attacking in the air, and I can't kill my Wolf again to win the race. 0-6 unless somebody can find a better line for me
    Vs Reeplcheep, you could DD if you just keep everything in hand. Actually Reeplcheep deck cannot win in goldfish. Edit: But you can also just WW by attacking with two dudes as Aestheral pointed out.

Vs Tylert, you can always draw by not attacking, if traveler attacks, you attack with both creatures (if chronomaton is played, scavenger kills it and noxious ring it back), so you would win the clock.
    If scavenger is sunlanced, traveler cannot attack, otherwise young wolf can block traveler and win.
    Young wolf cannot be sunlanced, or the 2/2 would win.

I sequence like this.
    T1 - Bog tapped
    T2 - Mountain. Chain either you or Scavenger (ignore Wolf). Elixir. (Turn A)
    T3 - Upkeep activate Elixir. Gain 5 life. Draw 1 of the 2 cards. (Turn B)
    T4 - Draw other card. Chain Lightning you or Scavenger. Elixir. (Turn A)
    T5 - Turn B
    T6 - Turn A

I alternate back and forth between Turn A and Turn B, always casting Chain into Elixir on the same turn, then activating on the next turn.

There should be no window for you to use Scavenger.
    If you cast it in the early game (before Turn A) or between B and A, Chain Lightning kills it before Elixir lands.
    If you cast it between A and B, due to summoning sickness and tapped mana, you can't activate it before I use Elixir on turn B upkeep, then it's exposed to Chain Lightning on my next turn A.

It doesn't matter when you use Noxious or when you cast Scavenger. Neither turn is enough of an opening.
    Unless I am missing something?

Summoning sickness is enough for me to beat it. I can't beat O-Ring though, because I didn't built with 3-mana instead of 2-mana. Replacing Bog with a bounceland would have netted me 10 more points! Bog turned out to be unnecessary tech against pseudo-mirrors.
    Ah OK. So you always cast Chain Lightning and Elixir on the same turn. Yeah, I think that works.

Quote Originally Posted by Asthereal View Post
    You have two guys against his one 0/3 defender. Can't you just attack with both and slowly kill the planeswalker?
    lol. You're right. Updating

Quote Originally Posted by dte View Post
    Vs Tylert, you can always draw by not attacking, if traveler attacks, you attack with both creatures (if chronomaton is played, scavenger kills it and noxious ring it back), so you would win the clock.
    If scavenger is sunlanced, traveler cannot attack, otherwise young wolf can block traveler and win.
    Young wolf cannot be sunlanced, or the 2/2 would win.
    OK, I think that makes sense. Just never expose the 2/2 Wolf to Sunlance, and attack back with two 1/1s if Doomed Traveler attacks me. If Folk gets Sunlanced, Noxious it back to trade with Chronomaton, and wait to block Traveler with Wolf. Seems like a draw. It's so close to a win for me but I think it just falls short. Updating

Round: Draws with 4x Basic Island.

lose to 3/3 0-6

Loses unblockable.

loses to 3/3. 0-6

Loses to fow. 0-6

Loses to deathtouch 0-6

Loses to 3/1. 0-6

Loses to 2 attackers after you discard the revival. 0-6

Lose to eternalize. 0-6

Lose to elixir -> chainlightning davriel. 0-6

Lose to chronomaton 0-6.

Tried something experimental, got the clean sweep. 20 L. Definitely didn't expect so many 3 power attackers.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

H: Swamp, Swamp, Blackmail, Porcelain Legionnaire

Can't beat double threat and removal. 0-6

I can actually snag the second mana, or the Stalker both on the Play and the Draw. 6-0

I can take Path, but two 3/3s just stand off my 3/1 First Strike. 2-2

I can Blackmail the Guardian, then the 3/3 doesn't beat my 3/1. 6-0

Pretty sure I can snag the second mana here no matter what, so then I win. 6-0

6. H: Bye, myself.

Yeah, Folk plus Revival means I can't win. 0-6

I can't beat this. 0-6

I can force the draw here in both cases by taking the second mana. 2-2

I can take the bounceland and win from there. 6-0

On the Play I can take the Chrono and win. On the Draw, I lose. 3-3

33?
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Me: silkster: Fountain of Cho, Steadfast Sentinel, Oblivion Ring, Oblivion Ring

Path to Exile is unfortunate removal for me. DD
    2 points

Hexproof. LL

2 points

6 points

I can exile permanents on turns 5 and 9. You deal 0, 0, 2, 4, 4, 2, 2, 2, 2, on each of your turns on the play, which is as close as can be without getting there. If you try to hold the Sculler, I can play my creature or exile your Borderpost.
    6 points

6 points

6 points

I thought this was a win until I saw the argument. Darn. Ironically, if one of my Oblivion Rings was a crappy piece of removal like [/cards]Path to Peace[/cards], I'd be able to cast, kill, and eternalize the Sentinel all at once to win.
    2 points

It takes me 8 turns to eternalize and 2 turns to attack Davriel (cause blocking once), during which I take 16 damage, but then I attack comfortably.
    6 points

6 points

42 points. I was distracted by the possibility of Empty the Warrens. I found some ways to beat it, but decided that it wasn't worth it and I would just lose those matches. I briefly considered playing Path to Exile myself, but I decided that it wasn't worth the uncommon slot for me. I never considered that someone else might play it. One of my versions of this deck would have scored 54 points, but it gave up some of the flexibility of the removal spell that I thought might have been relevant.

The Force of Will deck last week was mine. I knew that Zealous Guardian was an option, but I couldn't think of any circumstance where a 1/1 was better than a counterspell, so I was never planning to cast it. I know that Storm Crow was suboptimal, but I could only find one deck it made a difference against and that difference was only 1 point. I'm usually not a big fan of the Storm Crow meme, but the entire reason for the meme is that Storm Crow pitches to Force of Will, so I had to do it.

I'm trying to find a Strip Mine deck that works here, but even making one after the fact, I'm still only getting about 50%. One problem is that you draw against any opponent with a 1-mana removal spell.
    Last edited by silkster; 10-15-2020 at 06:54 PM.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by silkster View Post
    One mismatch to be resolved. I could easily be wrong, but I don't see it yet.

Me: silkster: Fountain of Cho, Steadfast Sentinel, Oblivion Ring, Oblivion Ring

Mismatch: I can exile permanents on turns 5 and 9. You deal 0, 0, 2, 4, 4, 2, 2, 2, 2, on each of your turns on the play, which is as close as can be without getting there. If you try to hold the Sculler, I can play my creature or exile your Borderpost.
    6 points
    W - Borderpost
    S - Cho

W - Boot Nipper with deathtouch
    S - 1 counter

W - Sculler, exiling O Ring [S=18]
    S - 2 counters

W - [S=14]
    S - 3 counters

W - [S=10]
    S - Cast other O-Ring on Sculler, returning O-Ring to your hand (Wrath may have forgotten this part? Because without 2nd O-Ring you do draw)

W - [S=8]
    S - 1 counter

W - [S=6]
    S - 2 counter

W - [S=4]
    S - 3 counter

W - [S=2]
    S - 2nd O-Ring on Boot Nipper, then win

I missed that Steadfast Sentinel has vigilance, otherwise I would draw easily.

You know, I really should have predicted both the strength and prevalence of Knight of Old Benalia this round. After all, FTW called it. If I had, I might also have predicted that Path of Exile would be the removal of choice. I really thought Blackmail would be the most played card in the round.

I was saving FoW for a later round but you let the cat out of the bag. I thought it wasn't good enough compared to other options like Mental Misstep and Cabal Therapy because the 2-for-1 really limits threat options, playing 1 1-drop common vs their 2 cards or their 2-drop.

I expected your deck to lose to the Chronomaton decks, but somehow they both played conditional removal you could beat. You also found a 1-mana 3/3 that we somehow forgot to ban earlier. I think that was your real edge here, not even the Force. Good find!

Sep 2011

You know, I really should have predicted both the strength and prevalence of Knight of Old Benalia this round. After all, FTW called it. If I had, I might also have predicted that Path of Exile would be the removal of choice. I really thought Blackmail would be the most played card in the round.
    I didn't want to spoil more until Knight was banned, but your FoW deck would have scored even more as another Knight deck in all 3 rounds. A 1-mana 3/3 is just that much better than the other common 1 drops left. Even Fourth Bridge Prowler is banned now.
    Last edited by FTW; 10-16-2020 at 09:55 AM.

I didn't want to spoil more until Knight was banned, but your FoW deck would have scored even more as another Knight deck in all 3 rounds. A 1-mana 3/3 is just that much better than the other common 1 drops left. Even Fourth Bridge Prowler is banned now.
    You mean something like Knight-Knight-Path does better than Knight-Force in every week? I noticed that Knight-Force would have beat every deck in round 1 except the Lab Man (and my deck, which is why I chose my deck over it in the end), and several of those felt like it was because of the Force (Goblins, Aether Vial, Bant Sureblade, and Thunderclap). I was hoping to catch Borderpost, 2-drop, 2-drop decks, among others.

It's an interesting question to ask why something was good. In the last round of Deviant Legacy, I hit upon playing Tabernacle with Maze of Ith, and it crushed everything I could come up with except for City of Traitors decks. I figured there wouldn't be too many of those, but boy was I wrong. Had I realized that my real strength was the Maze of Ith, I could have just played two of those instead. I think I scored 1.6 for the round where double Maze would have scored 3.6.

Quote Originally Posted by Asthereal View Post
    Path Wolf, Folk looks a bit silly against my team. Interesting tech, though I'm not sure what you were plotting against. 6-0
    I've had Scavenger Folk on my short-list of 1-drops because of the free wins against Borderposts, while also catching Chronomatons. I thought about playing it, but went with the more flexible Force of Will.
    Last edited by silkster; 10-17-2020 at 12:57 AM.

Sep 2011

You mean something like Knight-Knight-Path does better than Knight-Force in every week? I noticed that Knight-Force would have beat every deck in round 1 except the Lab Man (and my deck, which is why I chose my deck over it in the end), and several of those felt like it was because of the Force (Goblins, Aether Vial, Bant Sureblade, and Thunderclap). I was hoping to catch Borderpost, 2-drop, 2-drop decks, among others.
    In Round 1 something like Knight-Mental Misstep-Sunlance/2nd Knight would have scored more than Knight-Force. I think Mental Misstep was better than Force, but your deck made Force look extra good because of Knight. The rest of us were just playing suboptimal 1 drops. Once you pointed out that we all missed a 1-mana 3/3, I'm not surprised it was commonly played this round. I almost played it too, except I didn't want to DD the pseudo-mirrors.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Standings for round 3:
    1. silkster: 42 - 4,2
    2. FTW: 39 - 3,9
    3. Asthereal (TO): 36 - 3,6
    3. GoblinSmashmaster: 36 - 3,6
    5. dte: 32 - 3,2
    6. H: 31 - 3,1
    7. alphastryk: 28 - 2,8
    7. maxx!: 28 - 2,8
    9. Wrath of Pie: 21 - 2,1
    10. Tylert: 13 - 1,3
    11. Reeplcheep: 0 - 0

Which leads to these bannings:
    Law-Rune Enforcer
    Knight of Old Benalia
    Path to Exile
    Firewild Borderpost
    Invisible Stalker
    Taste for Mayhem
    Fountain of Cho
    Steadfast Sentinel
    Oblivion Ring
    Bojuka Bog
    Elixir of Immortality
    Chain Lightning

Season standings after round 3:
    1. dte: 14,1
    2. FTW: 12,9
    3. silkster: 12,2
    4. maxx!: 10,4
    5. GoblinSmashmaster: 8,5
    6. H: 7,3
    7. alphastryk: 7,3
    8. Wrath of Pie: 6,3
    9. Asthereal (TO): 5,7
    10. Tylert: 4,7
    11. Reeplcheep: 4,4

So silk's win in round 3 allows him to join the fight at the top.

Thread Information