Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 243031323334

Thread: 4 Card Blind

Re: 4 Card Blind

6. Whoshim: Black Lotus, Laboratory Maniac, Gitaxian Probe, Force of Will

1. Asthereal (TO): Force of Will, Mental Misstep, Sea Drake, Black Lotus 6-0

2. Wrath of Pie: Mishra's Workshop, Steel Overseer, Phyrexian Metamorph, Force of Will 6-0

3. FTW: Chancellor of the Annex, Black Lotus, Laboratory Maniac, Gitaxian Probe 1-4

4. Tylert: Leyline of anticipation, Lotus petal, burning inquiry, nether spirit I can counter Lotus Petal. 6-0

5. Ace/Homebrew: Leyline of Anticipation, Black Lotus, Cabal Therapy, Butcher Ghoul I can counter Black Lotus. 6-0

7. GoblinSmashmaster: Leyline of Anticipation, Black Lotus, Balance, The Rack 6-0

8. H: Black Lotus, Patron Wizard, Force of Will, Leyline of Anticipation 4-1 (I need to get confirmation from H about this, as noted above.)

9. apple713: Leyline of Anticipation, Force of Will, Black Lotus, Laboratory Maniac 3-3

38 points. Playing with Black Lotus was fun while it lasted.

H, let me know if you agree with me about the score of our match.

It looks like the highest scoring decks were Black Lotus and Lab Maniac plus Gitaxian Probe/Chancellor of the Annex/Leyline of Anticipation/Force of Will. Apple's Leyline choice beat out my Gitaxian Probe choice by one point (apple was able to DD with FTW, but I DL).

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by GoblinSmashmaster View Post
    GoblinSmashmaster scores for round "ban lab man":

1. Asthereal (TO): You counter Lotus. 0-6
    2. Wrath of Pie: You counter Lotus. 0-6
    3. FTW: You counter Lotus. 0-6
    4. Tylert: Whoever plays a mana source first loses (e.g. if you play Petal, I respond with Lotus and cast my hand before you, and The Rack outraces Nether Spirit. If I play Lotus, you respond with Petal and cast your hand before me). We both do nothing and draw. 2-2
    5. Ace/Homebrew: Whoever plays a mana source first loses. We both do nothing and draw. 2-2
    6. Whoshim: You counter Lotus. 0-6
    7. GoblinSmashmaster: That's me!
    8. H: You counter Lotus. 0-6
    9. apple713: You counter Lotus. 0-6

Total: 4 points

Wow that's a lot of countermagic. I think I would beat just about any deck that didn't have Force, Leyline or Chancellor but everyone did! That's what I get for using a deck idea that was already spoiled.
    This looks right for me as well.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    Yes he can't resolve a threat but how do you actually win the game with Patron Wizard? It's basically a wall. If it ever attacks, opponent casts his spell and wins. You have to never attack and leave it up to counter, so those games are draws. You have no way to deal damage.
    This is a good point. I hadn't thought of sandbagging my Drake.
    H can't attack with the Wizard, because then I'll be able to cast my Drake and win the race.

So I guess the match between me and H also ends in a draw when I am on the draw.

Hymn-Slinger
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Yes he can't resolve a threat but how do you actually win the game with Patron Wizard? It's basically a wall. If it ever attacks, opponent casts his spell and wins. You have to never attack and leave it up to counter, so those games are draws. You have no way to deal damage.
    Ah, yeah, in retrospect, Patron Wizard is terrible,
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Preliminary standings for round 1:

Rank. Username: score - season points
    1. apple713: 39 - 4,9
    2. Whoshim: 38 - 4,8
    3. FTW: 34 - 4,3
    4. Asthereal (TO): 29 - 3,6
    5. H: 24 - 3,0
    6. Wrath of Pie: 23 - 2,9
    7. Tylert: 4 - 0,5
    7. Ace/Homebrew: 4 - 0,5
    7. GoblinSmashmaster: 4 - 0,5

If these scores are correct, this leads to bannings for these cards:
    Black Lotus
    Force of Will
    Leyline of Anticipation
    Laboratory Maniac
    Mental Misstep
    Sea Drake
    Gitaxian Probe
    Chancellor of the Annex

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Whoshim View Post
    It looks like the highest scoring decks were Black Lotus and Lab Maniac plus Gitaxian Probe/Chancellor of the Annex/Leyline of Anticipation/Force of Will. Apple's Leyline choice beat out my Gitaxian Probe choice by one point (apple was able to DD with FTW, but I DL).
    I expected more people to play Chancellor of the Annex, since it takes up one less slot than FoW. I included Gitaxian Probe as anti-Chancellor tech (free spell to burn) that also helps Lab Man win faster. In this 0-Chancellor meta, Force was the better choice. Or Chancellor + Leyline instead of Chancellor + Probe (WW against the non-Leyline decks, DD against Leyline + FoW + Lotus).

Anyway, doesn't matter because all those cards got banned fast!

Poor Sea Drake. What did he ever do to deserve it.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

I expected more people to play Chancellor of the Annex, since it takes up one less slot than FoW. I included Gitaxian Probe as anti-Chancellor tech (free spell to burn) that also helps Lab Man win faster. In this 0-Chancellor meta, Force was the better choice. Or Chancellor + Leyline instead of Chancellor + Probe (WW against the non-Leyline decks, DD against Leyline + FoW + Lotus).

Anyway, doesn't matter because all those cards got banned fast!

Me too. I actually just forgot about the Chancellor, otherwise I would have played it.
    It's really embarrassing when I open my inbox to check PMs and I see decks with cards I'd forgotten about...

And yeah, I really love how after round one we already have a fringe card on the banned list.

Funniest vanishing ban I have been witness to was Abjure. (I once managed a Wurmcoil Engine ban in the first round of a vanishing 3CB variant, but that is not quite as funny.)

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    Paris City

I confirm my score of 4 points :)
    Death and taxes!!

Play 4CB!

Another Draft Blog

Thread Information