Page 152 of 332 FirstFirst ... 52102142148149150151152153154155156162202252 ... LastLast
Results 3,021 to 3,040 of 6623

Thread: 4 Card Blind

Re: 4 Card Blind

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    It's hard to not end up in draws here, because if you have 2 equal-powered threats they can usually trade or force a standoff if you would lose the race.

Knight of Sursi is one of the few creatures that 3-3s the mirror (instead of 2-2) due to flanking. The player going first always wins the race. Flying + flanking means it's very hard for any low cost creature to block it profitably (including itself!). Unfortunately that interaction never came up, but it was one of the reasons why I chose it over other 1-drops. Anyway, the suspend knights had a short-lived reign before joining the other suspend threats on the ban list.
    Flanking doesn't give -1/-1 to blockers that have Flanking. Regardless, the flying Knight was a good call and what I would have played had I gone the Strip Mine route.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Scores for round 4:
    1. FTW: 51 - 5,1
    2. silkster: 43 - 4,3
    3. Wrath of Pie: 41 - 4,1
    4. dte: 36 - 3,6
    5. GoblinSmashmaster: 34 - 3,4
    6. Tylert: 33 - 3,3
    7. Asthereal (TO): 17 - 1,7
    7. alphastryk: 17 - 1,7
    9. H: 15 - 1,5
    10. Reeplcheep: 12 - 1,2
    11. maxx!: 4 - 0,4

Which leads to this small list of bannings:
    Barbed Shocker
    Knight of Sursi
    Phantasmal Bear
    Rite of Flame
    Strip Mine

Standings for season 8 after round 4:
    1. FTW: 18
    2. dte: 17,7
    3. silkster: 16,5
    4. GoblinSmashmaster: 11,9
    5. maxx!: 10,8
    6. Wrath of Pie: 10,4
    7. alphastryk: 9
    8. H: 8,8
    9. Tylert: 8
    10. Asthereal (TO): 7,4
    11. Reeplcheep: 5,6

So FTW striker again and claims the top spot. Well done!
    Will FTW be the first to win two seasons in a row?
    Join the 4 Card Blind competition!

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

ROUND 5 OF SEASON 8: PEASANT CONTINUED BANNATHON has started.

I have PM'ed myself my deck for round 5, so you can start sending me your decks.

DEADLINE: Wednesday the 28th of October, at 11:00AM Central European Time.
    (That's my time zone. Pacific Time it'll probably be something like Tuesday night a bit past midnight, so keep that in mind.)

PLEASE NOTE:
    The way you send your deck to me matters. Please send it in the way described below, so it doesn't cost me an hour of editing before I can post all the decks.
    Please send your deck as follows: Swamp, Swamp, Terror, Black Knight.
    So with card tags around each card, and not above eachother, and with your Username and 4CB S08R05 in the topic.
    Don't forget to keep an eye on the banned list. You'll find it in the second post of the thread, or in our Google Spreadsheet.

After the deadline has passed, I will post all decks on the forum here, and you can start puzzling out your scores.
    If you have any questions, please read the first two posts of this thread first. If you can't find the answer there, drop a message here. We'll answer a.s.a.p.

Also, if you've been lurking on this thread and looking to join, you can step in anytime, any round. That's no problem at all. Just send me your deck before the deadline, and I'll add you to the competition.

Happy deck designing everybody!

Thanks for calculating my scores, everyone. I’ve been super busy the last couple weeks. Looks like my submission was too cute to do anything. Oh well.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

We're complete at the deadline, and we have a new player. Welcome Karshtakavaar to our little competition of chaos!

DECKS FOR ROUND 5 OF SEASON 8: Peasant Continued Bannathon

1. Asthereal (TO): Forest, Ghost Quarter, Scavenger Folk, Young Wolf
    2. Reeplcheep: Plains, Ghost Quarter, Sacred Cat, Akrasan Squire
    3. Wrath of Pie: Ghost Quarter, Plains, Akrasan Squire, Akrasan Squire
    4. Karshtakavaar: Skyline Cascade, Selesnya Sanctuary, Phantom Nomad, Hydra's Growth
    5. dte: Swamp, Ostracize, Shrieking Affliction, Typhoid Rats
    6. GoblinSmashmaster: Veinfire Borderpost, Mountain, Plague Stinger, Consuming Fervor
    7. Tylert: Swamp, Chronomaton, Wretched banquet, Unearth
    8. alphastryk: Ghost Quarter, Plains, Savannah Lions, Savannah Lions
    9. H: Island, Force Spike, Force Spike, Spectral Sailor
    10. FTW: Plains, Cenn's Tactician, Gideon's Lawkeeper, Icatian Javelineer
    11. maxx!: Plains, Ghost Quarter, Icatian Javelineers, Icatian Javelineers
    12. silkster: Forest, Young Wolf, Thallid, Ghost Quarter

Please post your scores and cross-check with the opponents.
    We also have a new Google Spreadsheet for the season, so you can enter your scores there as well: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
    Last edited by Asthereal; 10-28-2020 at 08:15 AM.

1. Asthereal (TO): Forest, Ghost Quarter, Scavenger Folk, Young Wolf DD
    2. Reeplcheep: Plains, Ghost Quarter, Sacred Cat, Akrosan Squire WL
    4. Karshtakavaar: Skyline Cascade, Selesnya Sanctuary, Phantom Nomad, Hydra's Growth WW - You ran into Ghost Quarter problems, unfortunately.
    5. dte: Swamp, Ostracize, Shrieking Affliction, Typhoid Rats DD - Shrieking Affliction causes a staredown.
    6. GoblinSmashmaster: Veinfire Borderpost, Mountain, Plague Stinger, Consuming Fervor LL
    7. Tylert: Swamp, Chronomaton, Wretched banquet, Unearth WW
    8. alphastryk: Ghost Quarter, Plains, Savannah Lions, Savannah Lions DD
    9. H: Island, Force Spike, Force Spike, Spectral Sailor WW
    10. FTW: Plains, Cenn's Tactician, Gideon's Lawkeeper, Icatian Javelineer WW
    11. maxx!: Plains, Ghost Quarter, Icatian Javelineers, Icatian Javelineers LL
    12. silkster: Forest, Young Wolf, Thallid, Ghost Quarter LL

9w6d = 33 points

Thallid and Icatian Javelineers I completely missed as options, but at least I only lose to Ghost Quarter mirrors. (And Infect, apparently.)
    Last edited by Wrath of Pie; 10-28-2020 at 07:11 PM.

Sep 2011

Wow, EVERYONE played Ghost Quarter after last week. I thought people would just play around GQ instead and tried to beat those decks.
    Terrible read! Looks like my other deck (that beat GQ) would have got a clean sweep...

1. Asthereal (TO): I play Javelineers before you GQ me. It kills Folk but can't trade with Young Wolf. Holding back Folk lets you win the race. LL 0-6
    2. Reeplcheep: Javelineers kills Squire but can't trade with or race the Cat. LL 0-6
    3. Wrath of Pie: Javelineers kills one Squire but can't trade with the other. LL 0-6
    4. Karshtakavaar: If you play Hydra's Growth, Lawkeeper taps you out forever while the other 1/1s beat down. If you hold back your Cascade as a trick, you only have a 2/2, so I can EOT grow my creatures until they're all really big. WW 6-0
    5. dte: OTP I play Tactician. You can Ostracize Javelineers, then Lawkeeper is too slow to stop Typhoid Rats and race. OTD you Ostracize Tactician. Javelineers kills Rats, but it and Lawkeeper can't race the Affliction. LL 0-6
    6. GoblinSmashmaster: Javelineers kills Plague Stinger. If you Fervor it first as removal, then Lawkeeper taps out Plague Stinger while Tactician beats down. WW 6-0
    7. Tylert: If you kill Tactician, Lawkeeper taps you down while Javelineers kills you. If you kill Lawkeeper, Tactician and Chrono both grow. But I can break the mirror! I also play Javelineer. Once Tactician and Chrono are at 20/20 I can start EOT buffing Javelineer instead. Once Javelineer hits 20/20 I have 2 lethal fatties and you can only block one. If you attack with your bigger Chrono before Javelineer hits 20/20, I chump with Javelineer and swing back with 20/20 Tactician FTW. WW 6-0
    8. alphastryk: Javelineers kills one and trades with the other. DD 2-2
    9. H: OTP I play Tactician before you have counters and win. OTD I think the best you can manage is a draw by countering Tactician and Javelineers and trading Sailor with my tapper. WD 4-1
    11. maxx!: OTP Javelineers kills your first, then dies to the 2nd. OTD I can't even kill one. LL 0-6
    12. silkster: Javelineers kills Thallid. OTP I get 1 attack before you play anything (GQ takes a turn), but if you hold back Thallid then the Wolf can still race. LL 0-6

24 points (7 wins, 3 draws)
    Last edited by FTW; 10-29-2020 at 11:14 AM.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Wrath of Pie View Post

6. GoblinSmashmaster: Veinfire Borderpost, Mountain, Plague Stinger, Consuming Fervor WW

Thallid and Icatian Javelineers I completely missed as options, but at least I only lose to Ghost Quarter mirrors.
    Can you beat Infect stompy? His deck dodges Ghost Quarter and goldfishes on turn 6.
    4+3+2+1=10 poison flying

It's the Unstable Mutation Blighted Agent deck again.

Feb 2014

My bet was that no one would play ghost quarter because most would play around strip mine after last week... Couldn't have been more wrong :)

2-2. you ghost my swamp after I play affliction and we stare at each other.

2. Reeplcheep: Plains, Ghost Quarter, Sacred Cat, Akrosan Squire
    0-6. 2 dmg lifelink does win the race.

4. Karshtakavaar: Skyline Cascade, Selesnya Sanctuary, Phantom Nomad, Hydra's Growth
    Welcome Karshtakavaar!
    6-0. Ostracize the nomads.

6. GoblinSmashmaster: Veinfire Borderpost, Mountain, Plague Stinger, Consuming Fervor
    The one that metagamed against GQ!
    6-0. Ostracize the stinger.
    (@ Wrath of Pie: I don't think you win this)

6-0. Affliction races chrono.

0-6. 4 damages per turn win the race vs affliction.

3-3. OTP I win with T1 affliction. OTD the sailor win the race vs the rats, whatever the order of my spells.

6-0. Have to confirm as FTW has several lines of play when he is OTP, but ostracize should take the tactician when I am OTP and affliction wins, OTD tactician should be played first, then I ostracize the javelineer, and affliction should race with the rats small help.

A lot of draws!
    And a crazy amount of ghost quarters.

Feb 2014

(...)
    5. dte: OTP I play Tactician. You can Ostracize Lawkeeper or Javelineers, but the other beats Typhoid Rats and lets Tactician through. OTD you Ostracize Tactician. Javelineers kills Rats, but it and Lawkeeper can't race the Affliction. WL 3-3
    FTW OTP
    T1 Tactician, ostracize javelineer.
    T2 Lawkeeper, attack (d19), affliction.
    T3 (F17), grow lawkeeper, attack (d17), rats.

Growing lawkeeper does not work well against the rats. If you try to grow tactician instead:
    T1 Tactician, ostracize javelineer.
    T2 Lawkeeper, attack (d19), affliction.
    T3 (F17), grow CT(2), attack (d17), rats.
    T4 (F14), grow CT(3), keeper and rats trade.
    T5 (F11), grow CT(4)
    T6 (F8), attack (d13)
    FTW loses the race.

Tactician is only better than chronomaton if you grow another creature.

I will tentatively stick to 6-0

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by dte View Post
    My bet was that no one would play ghost quarter because most would play around strip mine after last week... Couldn't have been more wrong :)

6-0. Have to confirm as FTW has several lines of play when he is OTP, but ostracize should take the tactician when I am OTP and affliction wins, OTD tactician should be played first, then I ostracize the javelineer, and affliction should race with the rats small help.
    I made the same bet, but at least Affliction just draws vs GQ, safer hedge.

Lawkeeper can go into tapping mode once Tactician is attacking, so it should come down to whether Tactician/Chrono can race Affliction. I thought it could OTP but I can't find a line that races.

I'll switch to LL.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Asthereal's scores for round Ghost Quarter:

That's me, borrowing ideas again because I have no inspriration.
    We can both only play one threat before our land gets Quartered. Squire is faster but ultimately draws against the Wolf. 2-2
    We can both only play one threat before our land gets Quartered. Squire is faster but ultimately draws against the Wolf. 2-2
    I see you were on FTW and dte's camp as well. This deck looks really good if nobody plays Ghost Quarter. But luckily I do. 6-0
    Affliction is a good one. I can Quarter your land after you play it, but I'm stuck as my threats aren't fast enough, so I have to keep them in hand for the draws. 2-2
    Yay, I play anti-borderpost tech! Albeit quite slow anti-borderpost tech. OTP I open with Folk and destroy your Borderpost before the infect dude lands. But you can try and put the enchantment of my Folk and wait until it dies, in which case I attack for 4 and cast cast Wolf, then another 4, then 3, then 2, then it dies and you can proceed to make the Infect dude, but now I win the race. If you let me destroy the borderpost instead, I have an Undying threat which also wins, as it doesn't die permanently to your enchantment. So I should win this. OTD you get to cast the Infect guy and then enchant it for the wins. 3-3
    Whatever you cast first, I Quarter your land afterwards and my two threats beat your one playable. 6-0
    This is sad. I get a Wolf and you get one Lion, but if you don't attack, and only attack on the backswing after I attack, you win the race. So we stare at eachother and my Undying is irrelevant. 2-2
    This deck would have been so much better with a Ghost Quarter rather than a Force Spike! Anyway, whatever you do, I Quarter the Island as soon as I can and then win with whichever of my 2.5 threats remains. 6-0
    Lawkeeper and Tactician require mana, so you cast Javelineer first, after which I Quarter your land. OTD you can attack once, but I still have 2.5 threats left to use against your one ping. So I cast Wolf first. You can't ping it, or it comes back bigger, and you can't attack either, so you wait. I attack for 1 (both 19), and then EDIT: WAIT TO cast Folk, so you can't EOT you ping it. You get to attack first, but I cast Folk a turn later, so you can't both ping an dattack, allowing me to win the race this time. OTP I'm even faster. 6-0
    Almost the same as against FTW. You cast Javelineer first, after which I Quarter your land. OTD you get to attack once first, and I have to keep the Wolf back for defence, after which we stare at eachother. OTP I go Wolf, go. You Quarter my land. I attack once and now win the race from here. 4-1
    Thallid is a good one. I hadn't thought of that. It's crap against Javelineers, but it should beat my Wolf. 0-6

Total: 37 points
    Last edited by Asthereal; 10-29-2020 at 01:17 PM.

Can you beat Infect stompy? His deck dodges Ghost Quarter and goldfishes on turn 6.
    4+3+2+1=10 poison flying

It's the Unstable Mutation Blighted Agent deck again.
    Oh right 1-mana aura, not 2 mana.

PoisonSmashmaster Results for Round "Ghost Quarter"

Stinger smash, then Scavenged 3-3

Stinger smash! 6-0

Stinger smash! 6-0

Stinger smash! 6-0

Ostracized 0-6

That's me!

removal 0-6

Stinger smash! 6-0

Consumed Sailor 1-4

removal 0-6

removal 0-6

Stinger smash! 6-0

Total: 34 points

Feb 2014

Quote Originally Posted by GoblinSmashmaster View Post
    Stinger smash! 6-0

That's me!
    I would think you 0-6 against Karshtakavaar: Skyline Cascade prevents you to ever cast Consuming Fervor early, and then Hydra's Growth is a scary clock:

Gob OTP:
    T1 post, land
    T2 stinger, bounceland
    T3 attack (1p), phantom, skyline cascade
    T4 stinger is tapped, K plays growth and attack for 3 (G 17)
    T5 fervor, attack (5p), attack for 6 (G11)
    T6 attack (8p), attack for 12 ==> Gob is dead.

I don't think it should change OTD.

Congrats on being the one that anticipated the GQ round :)
    And Karshtakavaar, beautiful deck, but a poor match to the GQs...

Me: silkster: Forest, Young Wolf, Thallid, Ghost Quarter

1. Asthereal (TO): Forest, Ghost Quarter, Scavenger Folk, Young Wolf 6 points
    2. Reeplcheep: Plains, Ghost Quarter, Sacred Cat, Akrasan Squire 6 points
    3. Wrath of Pie: Ghost Quarter, Plains, Akrasan Squire, Akrasan Squire 6 points
    4. Karshtakavaar: Skyline Cascade, Selesnya Sanctuary, Phantom Nomad, Hydra's Growth 6 points
    5. dte: Swamp, Ostracize, Shrieking Affliction, Typhoid Rats 2 points (SA too fast, so I don't race)
    6. GoblinSmashmaster: Veinfire Borderpost, Mountain, Plague Stinger, Consuming Fervor 0 points, yikes. Well done!
    I admire that this is basically card-for-card a pauper strategy. A beautiful mix of the Blighted Agent deck and the Invisible Stalker deck, choosing wisely to dodge land destruction instead of creature destruction.
    7. Tylert: Swamp, Chronomaton, Wretched banquet, Unearth 6 points
    8. alphastryk: Ghost Quarter, Plains, Savannah Lions, Savannah Lions 6 points
    9. H: Island, Force Spike, Force Spike, Spectral Sailor 6 points
    10. FTW: Plains, Cenn's Tactician, Gideon's Lawkeeper, Icatian Javelineer 6 points
    You have to throw the javelin at the Thallid, which gives Young Wolf the tempo to win at 1 life on the draw.
    You're right that the turn that Thallid buys me only makes up for the turn spent playing GQ, which leaves you half a turn ahead.
    Second Edit: Holding Thallid buys the turn back since Javelineers can't attack into the summoning sick Wolf.
    11. maxx!: Plains, Ghost Quarter, Icatian Javelineers, Icatian Javelineers 4 points
    Wolf gets first attack on the play. OTD, you can throw the javelin at me to get the "first attack" while my Wolf is summoning sick.

54 points. 17w 2L 3D

I usually have a few ideas on Monday and narrow it down on Tuesday. This week I had my deck figured out for 5 or 6 days, but then I was wondering if I just had to play GQ and what that deck would look like. I've had all of these cards floating around my shortlist, but hadn't actually tried this arrangement of 4 cards. If only I had noticed earlier, it would have had 16w 4L in week 3, and it would have been 20w 0L in week 4 for the clean sweep. After seeing that, I jumped ship last minute. I'm glad Thallid worked out. I have font memories of stacking pennies on them. I was wondering if I'd get to play Icatian Javelineers next week, which I also have font memories of placing pennies on. (I think it's just these two, though. Well, and other Thallids.)

Welcome to our newcomer, Karshtakavaar! It was really unfortunate to jump in with a big mana plan this week.

Wow, EVERYONE played Ghost Quarter after last week. I thought people would just play around GQ instead and tried to beat those decks.
    Terrible read! Looks like my other deck (that beat GQ) would have got a clean sweep...
    My other choice would have done really well this week, but definitely not a clean sweep, and I don't think even quite as well as my choice did do, though I haven't calculated. I'm curious what beats GQ, beats Force Spikes, beats an unconditional removal spell, and beats the singular monstrous threats of flying infect and the fastest growing creature we've ever seen.
    Last edited by silkster; 10-28-2020 at 04:03 PM.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by dte View Post
    I would think you 0-6 against Karshtakavaar: Skyline Cascade prevents you to ever cast Consuming Fervor early, and then Hydra's Growth is a scary clock:

Gob OTP:
    T1 post, land
    T2 stinger, bounceland
    T3 attack (1p), phantom, skyline cascade
    T4 stinger is tapped, K plays growth and attack for 3 (G 17)
    T5 fervor, attack (5p), attack for 6 (G11)
    T6 attack (8p), attack for 12 ==> Gob is dead.
    I think it's more complicated than that. Cascade can't tap Stinger if it's not already tapped, so he could wait, and K can't play Growth until then.

Fervor adds -1/-1 counters, which would nullify +1/+1 counters (and because of APNAP the Fervor would remove a counter before Growth doubles), so there might be a line to just destroy the creature.

What about this line?

Gob OTP:
    T1 post; land
    T2 stinger; bounceland
    T3 Do nothing; phantom, cascade
    T4 Fervor on Phantom; Phantom has 1 counter. Growth makes it 2. If it attacks now, Stinger blocks (down to 1) then Phantom goes to 0 on next upkeep and won't win as a 3-2-1. Instead, no attack.
    T5 Hold; Phantom shrinks to 1 counter, then doubles to 2. If it attacks now, same problem as T4.
    Draw?

It should work OTD too because Gob skipped T3

DD 2-2?

Quote Originally Posted by silkster View Post
    My other choice would have done really well this week, but definitely not a clean sweep, and I don't think even quite as well as my choice did do, though I haven't calculated. I'm curious what beats GQ, beats Force Spikes, beats an unconditional removal spell,and beats the singular monstrous threats of flying infect and the fastest growing creature we've ever seen.
    You're right, I didn't look too carefully at the lists, it would lose to Force Spike OTD and might draw vs Affliction but does beat the rest.

You're right, I didn't look too carefully at the lists, it would lose to Force Spike OTD and might draw vs Affliction but does beat the rest.
    This week certainly looks like it's Ghost Quarters all the way down, but there are some lists here and there that are just really different. After correcting some mistakes, I think my other deck would have done a tiny bit better, but I could easily be missing something like I was in our matchup. Unfortunately, beating GQ might have been its real strength, so I'm not sure how useful it is moving forward.

It was an interesting rock-paper-scissors this week, and I'm really surprised that the results came out as skewed as they did.
    Week 1 was the wild west of overpowered stuff.
    Week 2 introduced the suspend 3/3 Knight of Old Benalia, which I hadn't even noticed was the real threat. I then noticed that people really weren't showing up with Strip Mine, so I took advantage of that in week 3, but somehow missed that just playing Strip Mine itself would have been really good. I think it's partly because no one was playing decks that were obvious losses to Strip Mine. My biggest problem was that I kept building Strip Mine decks with one threat and one removal, which meant that I would draw against any opponent who played a one-mana removal spell.
    Going into week 4, the power of Strip Mine was pointed out in discussion, but people still didn't play it or fully play around it, and it took two top spots with different threats.

So the question was: with the power of SM/GQ prominently displayed, does that mean you should play it, or does it mean that everyone will play it and you should build against it? I figured that GQ wouldn't actually be that great this week because we've used up the powerful one-drops. So I figured that people wouldn't be too worried about GQ and would leave themselves at least partially vulnerable to it. And I figured that Thallid was a good enough ace in the hole.

I also just realized that I think I can beat Javelineers on the draw by holding the Thallid for a turn.

FTW on the play:
    t1: Javelineers; GQ
    t2: attack; Wolf (20-19)
    t3: no attack; Wolf attack (19-19)
    t4: J attacks; W attacks, play Thallid (18-18)

You were dealing damage first, but now you have to take a turn off to kill the Thallid.

Sep 2011

So the question was: with the power of SM/GQ prominently displayed, does that mean you should play it, or does it mean that everyone will play it and you should build against it? I figured that GQ wouldn't actually be that great this week because we've used up the powerful one-drops. So I figured that people wouldn't be too worried about GQ and would leave themselves at least partially vulnerable to it. And I figured that Thallid was a good enough ace in the hole.
    Interesting reasoning. I also thought that the weak remaining 1-drops would make GQ decks seem unappealing, so I thought that would lead to more people playing around GQ instead of playing it. Must be the same thing dte thought. So I tried to 1-up the people building against it, instead of just building against it or playing it (which both seem better here). I thought maybe 1-2 people would play it at most and accepted taking those losses, really surprised to see 6!!

I also just realized that I think I can beat Javelineers on the draw by holding the Thallid for a turn.

FTW on the play:
    t1: Javelineers; GQ
    t2: attack; Wolf (20-19)
    t3: no attack; Wolf attack (19-19)
    t4: J attacks; W attacks, play Thallid (18-18)

You were dealing damage first, but now you have to take a turn off to kill the Thallid.
    Hmm that makes sense. I didn't consider that holding Thallid gets you a turn back.

I find the contrast between Pauper and Peasant LD interesting. Before the Pauper season started, I thought that Sea's Claim, Evil Presence, Raze, and Crack the Earth would be all be banned out really quickly. But first there was the really broken stuff, then people played around the pseudo-LD. Eventually people stopped playing around it, and they slowly snuck in their wins, but it pretty much took the whole season.

When doing some preliminary planning for Peasant, I thought Strip Mine and Ghost Quarter would disappear quickly, but when I actually started making decks, it felt really bad to use your one uncommon slot on removal rather than a threat (which I why I started with The Rack). But the power of SM and GQ is much harder to play around, especially with Rite of Flame finally gone. Using a Borderpost lets you get one 2-drop, but even after investing two cards for lands you can't reliably cast two 2-drops. SM+GQ pulled the back-to-back that Path+Swords couldn't.

I spent too much thought on Eldrazi this week, as they were the top non-banned decks of last week, but on further inspection they're vulnerable in the mana base and to removal. (I'm guessing that's what the Lawkeeper was for, in addition to just being removal that can attack.) In hindsight, I'm quite impressed that the Eldrazi found their spot so well, sandwiched between the dominance of Path to Exile and Ghost Quarter.

Thread Information