Page 50 of 332 FirstFirst ... 4046474849505152535460100150 ... LastLast
Results 981 to 1,000 of 6623

Thread: 4 Card Blind

Sep 2011

Re: 4 Card Blind

Fun facts:
    Island, Forest and Swamp are banned in both regular and snow-covered form, but Mountain and Plains are legal in both forms

Bayou, Overgrown Tomb, Golgari Rot Farm, and Blooming Marsh are all banned; every RW dual is still legal

The color wheel is balanced.

Of the Power11 (adding Sol Ring and Mana Crypt), all the artifacts were banned early but Ancestral Recall, Time Walk and Timetwister are still legal (weak under these rules).

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    Fun facts:
    Island, Forest and Swamp are banned in both regular and snow-covered form, but Mountain and Plains are legal in both forms

Bayou, Overgrown Tomb, Golgari Rot Farm, and Blooming Marsh are all banned; every RW dual is still legal

The color wheel is balanced.

Of the Power11 (adding Sol Ring and Mana Crypt), all the artifacts were banned early but Ancestral Recall, Time Walk and Timetwister are still legal (weak under these rules).
    Granted, when I went for the Inkmoth-Shoal combo deck, I played Hammerheim instead of Mountain, just because I could.

Still, fun facts.
    Join the 4 Card Blind competition!

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

About 36 hours until the deadline, 5 entries so far.
    Don't miss out on the final round!

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

DECKS FOR THE FINAL ROUND (12) OF THE VINTAGE BANNATHON:

1. Asthereal (TO): Savannah, Steppe Lynx, Fastbond, Selesnya Sanctuary
    2. Wrath of Pie: Icatian Store, Fountain of Cho, Elspeth, Sun's Champion, Wurmcoil Engine
    3. apple713: Nourishing Shoal, Serra Ascendant, Autochthon Wurm, Plains
    4. Tylert: Chancellor of the tangle, Aether vial, Myr superion, Deputy of detention
    5. Whoshim: Plains, Starlit Sanctum, Daru Spiritualist, Nomads en-Kor
    6. H: Arlinn Kord, Havenwood Battleground, Dwarven Ruins, Gut Shot
    7. FTW: Underground Sea, Putrid Imp, Reanimate, Ashen Rider

Please post your scores and cross-check with the opponents.
    I'll update the Google Spreadsheet for the season, so you can enter your scores there as well: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Next week we start season 3, during which we'll visit the blocks, starting with Mirage block. Stay tuned for more details!

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Asthereal results for the final round:

1. Asthereal (TO): that's me: SUPERCAT STRIKES!! (again) Savannah, Steppe Lynx, Fastbond, Selesnya Sanctuary
    2. Wrath of Pie: Turn 2 kill is good enough. 6-0
    3. apple713: Attack for enough to make your life total drop below Ascendant threshold, then just kill you. 6-0
    4. Tylert: Turn 2 kill is good enough. 6-0
    5. Whoshim: OTP I attack for 20 on turn 2. You have to block. Then I just kill you. OTD you have an infinitely large defender, Nomad kills me. 3-3 (cool deck!)
    6. H: Gutshot kills the supercat. Basically any wincon will do the job afterwards. Dwarven Pony would have done it, but Arlinn works too. 0-6
    7. FTW: You can block the supercat, in response discard Rider, and the turn after proceed to kill it with the Rider. 0-6

Total: 21 points.

And that means FTW clinches the title for this season. Congrats!

Sep 2011

FTW: Underground Sea, Putrid Imp, Reanimate, Ashen Rider

1. Asthereal (TO): If you ever play Lynx, I can Ashen Rider it before it gets a hit off. If you do nothing, PImp gets there. WW 6-0.
    2. Wrath of Pie: If you ever play a land, I exile it with Rider. Then Rider kills you before the other land gets to 6 counters. If you do nothing, PImp gets there. WW 6-0
    3. apple713: If you ever play Ascendant, I kill it with Rider. Otherwise PImp gets there. WW 6-0
    4. Tylert: OTP I play PImp. You play Vial now or never. I Ashen Rider it. OTD you play Vial, I play PImp, Vial gets to 1, then I Ashen Rider it. If you don't play Vial, PImp attacks 20 times. WW 6-0.
    5. Whoshim: OTP I play PImp. If you play a land, I Ashen Rider it and your deck falls apart. OTD you can play Plains and Nomad, I play PImp. You can play Sanctum and Daru, but then I Ashen Rider the Daru. If you don't, I kill the Plains and you can't play them anyway. If you don't play anything, PImp gets there. WW 6-0.
    6. H: If you ever play a land, I exile it with Ashen Rider before you can cast Arlinn and win. If you do nothing, I can't get there with PImp because of Gut Shot! Tech! But I can discard Rider in response then Reanimate it exiling my own USea (assuming you have no lands out). You play a tapped land, I attack for 5. You play a tapped land, I attack for 5. You cast Arlinn, make a wolf and flip, I kill Arlinn (flying). Then Ashen Rider outraces the 2/2 wolf. WW 6-0.

36 points (12 wins, 0 losses, 0 ties) - clean sweep!

So much for #YOLODontBanUSea. Underground Sea is too strong!

1. Asthereal (TO): Savannah, Steppe Lynx, Fastbond, Selesnya Sanctuary 3-3 Confirmed.

2. Wrath of Pie: Icatian Store, Fountain of Cho, Elspeth, Sun's Champion, Wurmcoil Engine 0-6

3. apple713: Nourishing Shoal, Serra Ascendant, Autochthon Wurm, Plains 0-6

4. Tylert: Chancellor of the tangle, Aether vial, Myr superion, Deputy of detention 0-6

6. H: Arlinn Kord, Havenwood Battleground, Dwarven Ruins, Gut Shot 2-2 I think we draw both ways. I don't think I can ever remove Arlinn, and I think I have to, but I don't think you can do anything but defend her and make no progress killing me.

7. FTW: Underground Sea, Putrid Imp, Reanimate, Ashen Rider 0-6

5 points, I think.
    I knew it wasn't good, but I was finishing up my travels and wanted to do something fun. This was a pretty fun season. I am surprised by some of the cards that have not yet been banned.

@FTW Urborg would have added a few style points. Nice finish to the season.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

36 points (12 wins, 0 losses, 0 ties) - clean sweep!!
    Holy sh!t. Talk about finishing in style!

GoblinSmashmaster results for Round "beat FTW"

That's Asthereal, not me!

2. Wrath of Pie: Icatian Store, Fountain of Cho, Elspeth, Sun's Champion, Wurmcoil Engine
    That's Wrath, not me! None of them are me. Did I forget to submit? :(

My deck would have been Bazaar of Baghdad, Basking Rootwalla, Basking Rootwalla, Vengevine.

Maybe I could beat Supercat, but I still lose to Ashen Rider, Nourishing Serra and most of the others.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

H: Arlinn Kord, Havenwood Battleground, Dwarven Ruins, Gut Shot

Gut Shot can get cat. 6-0

Can't beat this. 0-6

I think Gut Sot can get Asendant if you ever try to Shoal. If you don't, Arlinn can get it eventually, then you must Shoal, then I can Gut Shot it. 6-0

4. Tylert: Chancellor of the tangle, Aether vial, Myr superion, Deputy of detention
    Can't beat the Deputy. 0-6

I actually think I win this, because you can gain as much life as you like, but you can't remove Arlinn. So, eventually, whatever life total you get to, I can make wolves and hit you forever. 6-0

6. H: Bye, myself.

Yeah, should have gone with this. Forgot that Reanimate was still legal. 0-6

18? Someone will have to independently evaluate me and Whoshim match to see what they they would happen.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

1. Asthereal (TO): Savannah, Steppe Lynx, Fastbond, Selesnya Sanctuary LL
    3. apple713: Nourishing Shoal, Serra Ascendant, Autochthon Wurm, Plains LL
    4. Tylert: Chancellor of the tangle, Aether vial, Myr superion, Deputy of detention WD - Holding back Deputy until I cast Elspeth helps a bit, but Wurmcoil's lifelink and deathtouch get there on the play. On the draw we standoff with me at 1 life.
    5. Whoshim: Plains, Starlit Sanctum, Daru Spiritualist, Nomads en-Kor WW
    6. H: Arlinn Kord, Havenwood Battleground, Dwarven Ruins, Gut Shot WW
    7. FTW: Underground Sea, Putrid Imp, Reanimate, Ashen Rider LL - You definitely lived up to your username.

5w1d = 16

H vs. Whoshim is rather simple, because Arlinn makes a 2/2 and deals 3 damage every 2 turns for three cycles, and the life combo does nothing to keep that from winning. (Actually, only two tokens are even necessary.)

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Quote Originally Posted by Wrath of Pie View Post
    H vs. Whoshim is rather simple, because Arlinn makes a 2/2 and deals 3 damage every 2 turns for three cycles, and the life combo does nothing to keep that from winning. (Actually, only two tokens are even necessary.)
    Yeah, infinite life doesn't actually do much in 4CB, as you have to name a number, and there's no time limit, so whatever life total one ends up with, the opponent can always nibble away at that total until it is diminished, no matter how many turns it takes.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    H: Arlinn Kord, Havenwood Battleground, Dwarven Ruins, Gut Shot
    I think Gut Sot can get Asendant if you ever try to Shoal. If you don't, Arlinn can get it eventually, then you must Shoal, then I can Gut Shot it. 6-0
    He can Shoal first, then play Ascendant as a 6/6. I think he wins both.

Can't beat the Deputy. 0-6
    But you can Gut Shot the sheriff.

I don't have to go for infinite life. I have 2 attackers with 1 power. His wolf or damage dealing ability can remove neither of them, because I can transfer damage to the cleric, and give the cleric whatever toughness I want.

Arlinn at 3 counters -> Wolf -> Transform
    Swing with 2 creatures, 1 blocked, Arlinn at 2 counters
    Arlinn -1 to transform again puts her at 1, and I can kill her on the next turn.

If Arlinn does not transform back, she can do the +1 and keep a wolf blocker, so I can only chip away 1 a turn, and she gets +1 a turn. I think that is a draw situation. I never go for infinite life.

@FTW (Gut Shot joke)

Sep 2011

Whoshim vs H, H going first

H - tapped land
    W - Plains, nothing (Nomads would die to Gut Shot)

H - tapped land
    W - Sanctum, Daru (Daru can't die to Gut Shot)

H - Arlinn. 0: make a 2/2 wolf, transform. 3 loyalty
    W - Nomads. Both are Gut Shot-proof now, but no point in attacking with just 1 critter.

H - -1: 3 damage to face. 2 loyalty
    W - Attack with both creatures. Wolf blocks 1. Arlinn goes to 1 loyalty.

H - +1: +2/+2 vigilance trample. 2 loyalty. Your blockers are tapped, take 4 damage to face, and he keeps 1 blocker.

PATH A: Racing
    W - You could attack with both and take off 1 loyalty, but then he adds 1 loyalty again. You accomplish nothing while he beats down your life. = loss

PATH B: Defense
    W - You leave your Clerics to block.
    H - 0: Make Wolf #2. Transform. Now he has 2 blockers and you can't force damage through ever. He can keep making more wolves every 3 turns and will swarm FTW.

I don't see a way you can beat Arlinn in time. The key obstacle is that you lose tempo casting Nomads a turn later to dodge Gut Shot, and that makes you too slow to threaten to kill Arlinn.

------------------------

W going first.

W - Plains, nothing
    H - tapped land

W - Sanctum, Daru
    H - tapped land

W - Nomads. Attack H face with Daru, 19 life.
    H - Arlinn. 0: make a 2/2 wolf, transform. 3 loyalty.

W - Attack Arlinn with both. 2 loyalty.

PATH A: Make more wolves
    H - -1: 3 damage to face. Transform. 1 loyalty.
    W - Attack Arlinn with both. Dead

PATH B: Stall
    H - +1: +1/+1 trample. Don't attack. 3 loyalty.
    W - Attack Arlinn with both. 2 loyalty.
    H - +1: +1/+1 trample. Don't attack. 3 loyalty.
    etc..

So if H plays optimally, he should win OTP and draw OTD. 4-1 for H?

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

6. H: Arlinn Kord, Havenwood Battleground, Dwarven Ruins, Gut Shot

1. Asthereal: supercats wins both OTP and OTD. 0-6 --> 0
    2. Wrath of Pie: I agree with your analysis 1-4 --> 1
    3. apple713: OTP: T1 = Vial, you plain, ascendant shoal. T2 = Vial (1), you attack for 6 (14), T2 = vial (2), you attack for 6 (8), T3 = vial (3) i deputy ascendant and win. OTD: you attack one turn ealier, but i can deputy before dying at 2 life. 6-0 --> 7
    4. me.
    5. Whoshim: Gaining an infinite amount of life doesn't help you as i will remove daru spiritualist at some point and attack for the win with my vigilance creature. 6-0 --> 13
    6. H: OTP: In both games i can Deputy arlinn at some point on won from there with myr superion defense. 6-0 --> 19
    7. FTW: In both games you can remove vial 0-6 --> 19

Total 19.
    Last edited by Tylert; 07-11-2019 at 10:57 AM.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

He can Shoal first, then play Ascendant as a 6/6. I think he wins both.
    I have no idea why I was thinking it was a trigger, because I know that it isn't.

So if H plays optimally, he should win OTP and draw OTD. 4-1 for H?
    I think that makes sense. So I should be at 10 then.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Thanks, FTW. That looks right. 4 total points for me then.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Tylert View Post
    2. Wrath of Pie: If i use deputy to remove the fountain, i win both games:

@Wrath of pie: I don't think you have seen the scenario where i remove fountain instead of a threat.
    Deputy of Detention -> nonland
    Fountain of Cho -> land
    You can only Deputy the Wurmcoil or Elspeth.

I think Wrath is right. Your best line is to leave Vial @ 3 until he plays his first 6 drop. That leads to DL for you.

4-1 for Wrath of Pie.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Quote Originally Posted by Tylert View Post
    @Wrath of pie: I don't think you have seen the scenario where i remove fountain instead of a threat.
    I fear you may have missed the fact that Deputy says "nonland permanent."

EDIT: FTW already mentioned this. I should read all posts before I reply to something. Also, there's a serious delay in posts arriving here.

Thread Information