Page 52 of 332 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662102152 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,040 of 6623

Thread: 4 Card Blind

Re: 4 Card Blind

3. Whoshim: Gemstone Mine, Gemstone Mine, Boomerang, Abyssal Gatekeeper

1. Asthereal (TO): Teferi's Isle, Chronatog, Phyrexian Dreadnought, Vision Charm 2-2 I think that I can bounce the Dreadnought and then keep the Gatekeeper on defense to trade.

2. Wrath of Pie: Undiscovered Paradise, Crystal Vein, Granger Guildmage, Steel Golem 2-2 I bounce the Golem and the Guildmage and Gatekeeper end up trading.

4. GoblinSmashmaster: Undiscovered Paradise, Shadow Guildmage, Funeral Charm, Roc Hatchling 0-6 Nice deck!

5. FTW: Teferi's Isle, Phyrexian Dreadnought, Vision Charm, Boomerang 6-0 I think I win since I can redeploy the Abyssal Gatekeeper once after you Boomerang it.

6. H: Coral Atoll, Steel Golem, Suq'ata Firewalker, Island 0-6 Boomerang does essentially nothing against you.

10 points. I'm glad that I didn't miss something crazy with LED. I was afraid that I had.

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

What's the combo between vision charm and dreadnought? you can make it phase out with the trigger on the stack and when it comes back as it phases in it does not retrigger again?

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Tylert View Post
    What's the combo between vision charm and dreadnought? you can make it phase out with the trigger on the stack and when it comes back as it phases in it does not retrigger again?
    Phasing does not make something Enter of Leave the Battlefield. In fact, Phasing is not a Zone change at all, it is simply a Status change, the "Phased Out" Status meaning that it is On the Battlefield, but treated as if it were not there. So, indeed, it will not trigger again unpon Phasing In.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

The greatest MtG tragedy is that something like the following was never printed:

Spirit Host
    UW
    Phasing, Banding
    2/2

2 short keywords, pages of rules documents to handle them.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

[QUOTE=Asthereal;1073327]DECKS FOR ROUND ONE OF THE BLOCK TOUR (Mirage, Visions, Weatherlight):

1. Asthereal (TO): Teferi's Isle, Chronatog, Phyrexian Dreadnought, Vision Charm
    Lose to Dreadnaught. 0-6

2. Wrath of Pie: Undiscovered Paradise, Crystal Vein, Granger Guildmage, Steel Golem
    I lose this sort of mirror match. 0-6

I think I can take this one, because Gatekeeper won't stop Golem and I can recast it. 6-0

4. GoblinSmashmaster: Undiscovered Paradise, Shadow Guildmage, Funeral Charm, Roc Hatchling
    Can't beat this sort of race. 0-6

5. FTW: Teferi's Isle, Phyrexian Dreadnought, Vision Charm, Boomerang
    Lose to Dreadnaught. 0-6

6. H: Bye, myself.

I actually should have played the "terrible" deck I found. Oh, well, I was in a hurry because I nearly forget to submit anything. 6 points.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Whoshim View Post
    The greatest MtG tragedy is that something like the following was never printed:

Spirit Host
    UW
    Phasing, Banding
    2/2

2 short keywords, pages of rules documents to handle them.
    And, to me, they are actually super simple things, just requires lots of "game text" to say it. Kind of like Chains of Mephistopheles or Ice Cauldron.

The most confusing thing in Magic, to me, is Layers and the timing of Madness, those things always get me.

Sep 2011

FTW: Teferi's Isle, Phyrexian Dreadnought, Vision Charm, Boomerang

1. Asthereal (TO): Teferi's Isle, Chronatog, Phyrexian Dreadnought, Vision Charm
    OTP and OTD, even with the phasing land, Boomerang wins the mirror in time. WW 6-0.

2. Wrath of Pie: Undiscovered Paradise, Crystal Vein, Granger Guildmage, Steel Golem
    12/12s are big. WW 6-0.

Unfortunately the card I chose to beat the mirror also crushes my deck. Nice metagaming. Boomerang beats not only Dreadnought but also other degenerate stuff from Dark Rituals (e.g. Aku Djinn/Gallowbraid/Hidden Horror), Crystal Vein (e.g. Steel Golem) and LED (if anyone found a way to break it). I lose to 20 attacks from Squire while you control 0 lands. LL 0-6.

4. GoblinSmashmaster: Undiscovered Paradise, Shadow Guildmage, Funeral Charm, Roc Hatchling
    You can Funeral Charm me, but I discard Boomerang and then trample to victory. WW 6-0.

6. H: Coral Atoll, Steel Golem, Suq'ata Firewalker, Island
    12/12s are big. WW 6-0.

24 points (8 wins, 2 losses)

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Wrath of Pie View Post
    I see an obscure line where he beats you.

Funeral Charm kills your Guildmage, then it's Golem vs Roc + Guildmage. Golem can't attack into Roc because he can double block for the 4th damage, keeping the Guildmage alive. Because he's taken too much Golem damage before Roc goes ultimate, it looks like he can't attack you either because he wouldn't win an outright race, so it looks like a draw. But Shadow Guildmage can use the blue ability on itself to stall attacks every 2 turns (chump, put itself on top of library, draw it, and recast). That lets him sneak in attacks with Roc every 2nd turn without taking any damage.

Him - Attack with Roc for 3 flying.
    You - Attack with Golem. Guildmage chumps. U: Guildmage goes on top of library.

Him - Bounce Undiscovered Paradise. Draw Guildmage. Play Undiscovered Paradise. Cast Guildmage. Pass.
    You - Can't attack into 3/3 + 1/1. Pass.

Him - Bounce Undiscovered Paradise. Replay it. Attack with Roc for 3 flying.

I think he wins OTD, maybe OTP too.

Sep 2011

The combo didn't actually work in Mirage block, so it hasn't received as much attention as other old combos like RecSur, Necro or ChannelFireball.

At the time of printing you couldn't respond to the Dreadnought trigger. It just died. It was a bad card. With the 6th edition rules change (after Mirage rotated out of Type 2) they introduced the stack, which allowed you to respond to the trigger with spells like Vision Charm. Phasing does weird things like letting you ignore the trigger.

The combo never really saw competitive play except some fringe play in old Legacy Dreadstill lists as Stifles 5-6. Imagine if Stiflenought was in Standard when people were attacking with Mtenda Lion, Balduvian Horde and Phyrexian War Beast? Lol.
    Last edited by FTW; 07-17-2019 at 06:54 PM.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Whoshim View Post

6. H: Coral Atoll, Steel Golem, Suq'ata Firewalker, Island 0-6 Boomerang does essentially nothing against you.
    OTP
    You - Gemstone
    H - Island

You - Gemstone
    H - Coral Atoll. With trigger on stack, Boomerang his Island. He's forced to sacrifice the Coral!

Because of that line, he never plays Coral Atoll and you can never tap out. You both stare at each other and draw. OTD his land is too fast :(

Thanks! I totally missed that. 1 extra point for me.

11 points total.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Preliminary standings for round 1:

Rank. Player: score - season points
    1. FTW: 24 - 4,8
    2. Asthereal (TO): 20 - 4
    3. GoblinSmashmaster: 18 - 3,6
    4. Whoshim: 11 - 2,2
    5. Wrath of Pie: 8 - 1,6
    6. H: 4 - 0,8

FTW takes an early lead.
    Join the 4 Card Blind competition!

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Round 2 of 4CB Season 3, The Block Tour, has started. This round: Tempest block (Tempest, Stronghold, Exodus)!

I have PM'ed myself my deck for round 2, so you can start sending me your decks.

DEADLINE: Wednesday the 24th of July, at 10:00AM Central European Time.
    (That's my time. Pacific time it'll probably be something like Tuesday late at night, so keep that in mind.)

PLEASE NOTE:
    - The way you send your deck to me matters. Please send it in the way described below, so it doesn't cost me an hour of editing before I can post all the decks.
    Please send your deck as follows: Salt Flats, Island, Hibernation Sliver, Crystalline Sliver (so with card tags around each card, and not above eachother), with your Username and 4CB S03R02 in the topic. Many of you already did this for previous rounds. Thanks a lot, this really saves me the time and hassle of copying and pasting text and tags!

After the deadline has passed, I will post all decks on the forum here, and you can start puzzling out your scores.
    If you have any questions, please read the first two posts of this thread first. If you can't find the answer there, drop a message here. We'll answer a.s.a.p.

Happy deck designing everybody!

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Quote Originally Posted by Asthereal View Post
    Tempest
    I guess playing a deck with a non basic land that comes into play tapped won't be a very good strategy... or maybe it will if you play ahead of the meta :) people will not play wasteland because no one will play non basic lands so i can play a non basic land... etc... etc...
    Is there even a good non basic land in these sets? :)

if i can spend some time on the internet at my new house (where i have access to beautiful things like internet and magic search engines. But my wife will probably make sure i'm either painting, moving things around or cleaning) I'll send a deck. Not sure thought.

I guess playing a deck with a non basic land that comes into play tapped won't be a very good strategy... or maybe it will if you play ahead of the meta :) people will not play wasteland because no one will play non basic lands so i can play a non basic land... etc... etc...
    Is there even a good non basic land in these sets? :)

if i can spend some time on the internet at my new house (where i have access to beautiful things like internet and magic search engines. But my wife will probably make sure i'm either painting, moving things around or cleaning) I'll send a deck. Not sure thought.
    Ancient Tomb is in the same set, so at least one good nonbasic exists.

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Quote Originally Posted by Wrath of Pie View Post
    Ancient Tomb is in the same set, so at least one good nonbasic exists.
    + lotus petal... ohoh :)

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

+ lotus petal... ohoh :)
    + city of traitors
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by apple713 View Post
    + Wood Elves

But let's not spoil all the fun

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

About 24 hours until the deadline, and we're at 5 entries.

Thread Information