Page 79 of 332 FirstFirst ... 296975767778798081828389129179 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,580 of 6623

Thread: 4 Card Blind

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Re: 4 Card Blind

Quote Originally Posted by Tylert View Post
    No reminder? i'll send you something tonight. or in 10 minutes... will see.
    I wanted to see whether it was necessary.

Also, I didn't want to shout too much while the community is trying to get Source Secret Santa going again this year.
    The Source isn't as buzzy as it used to be, so the cool things that keep it going deserve as much attention as possible.

Anyway, I have decks from all regulars, so I'll be posting them soon.
    Join the 4 Card Blind competition!

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

DECKS FOR ROUND 9, Battle for Zendikar & Shadows over Innistrad block (Battle for Zendikar, Oath of the Gatewatch, Shadows over Innistrad, Eldritch Moon)

1. Asthereal (TO): Forest, Gnarlwood Dryad, Loam Dryad, Lupine Prototype
    2. FTW: Foul Orchard, Gnarlwood Dryad, Gnarlwood Dryad, Vampire Cutthroat
    3. square_two: Plains, Swamp, Ayli, Eternal Pilgrim, Pathway Arrows
    4. Wrath of Pie: Fortified Village, Nephalia Academy, Declaration in Stone, Lambholt Pacifist
    5. Unlif3: Forest, Nephalia Academy, Lambholt Pacifist, Lupine Prototype
    6. Tylert: Forest, Gnarlwood Dryad, Gnarlwood Dryad, Gnarlwood Dryad
    7. H: Forest, Gnarlwood Dryad, Gnarlwood Dryad, Gnarlwood Dryad
    8. GoblinSmashmaster: Wandering Fumarole, Village Messenger, Neglected Heirloom, Mausoleum Wanderer

Please post your scores and cross-check with the opponents.
    I'll update the Google Spreadsheet for the season, so you can enter your scores there as well: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Asthereal results for round 9 (Battle for Zendikar & Shadows over Innistrad block):

That's me, sporting something slightly more creative but probably still crap.
    I'm guessing my Prototype trades with one of your Gnarlwoods, my Gnarlwood will trade with your second and I have to keep Loam Dryad back to defend against the vampire for two draws? 2-2
    This is an excellent deck. Ayli found some arrows indeed, and proceeded to shoot down my entire army. Well spotted! 0-6
    4. Wrath of Pie: Fortified Village, Nephalia Academy, Declaration in Stone, Lambholt Pacifist
    Even OTD you're in time to use your removal spell to kill one of my small dudes in order to stop me from casting Prototype. You will kill Gnarlwood so Loam Dryad loses against your 4/4. 0-6
    You can't attack. If I attack, you trade Prototypes and let the Gnarlwood come through in order to attack yourself the turn after. Can't let that happen so my Gnarlwood has to stay back and we draw. 2-2
    We trade all our guys. 2-2
    We trade all our guys again. 2-2
    8. GoblinSmashmaster: Wandering Fumarole, Village Messenger, Neglected Heirloom, Mausoleum Wanderer
    I can make your guy flip before you can equip it with Heirloom by simply not casting anything the turn after you play your messenger. This means you'll be stuck with a 2/2 and a 1/1 against my 5/5, 1/1 deathtouch and 1/2 guys. I should win that. 6-0

Total: 14 points

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

1. Asthereal: We have three threats each, which all trade. 2-2 --> 2
    2. FTW: We have three threats each, which all trade. 2-2 --> 4
    3. square_two: I guess you found the meta deck :) Saw arrows that wrecks my deck but dismissed it as it would loose to any 1 removal deck. I knew removal was bad this round... but did not list the deathtouch guy + arrows. By the way, isn't gnarlwood dryad + arrows better? you do your stuff one turn earlier. Haven't done the exact math, but you kill my three guys before i can kill you. 0-6 --> 4
    4. Wrath Of Pie: I play 2 dryads, you declare them in stone, i play another one and we trade. 2-2 --> 6
    5. Unlif3: at least something i can beat :) I have 3 threats that do trade with your 2 threats. 6-0 --> 12
    6. ME.
    7: H: Same deck. 2-2 --> 14
    8: GoblinSmashmaster: My plan is to not play anything the turn you play messenger, that way it will transform and you won't be able to transform neglected heirloom. Anyway, attached to the wanderer, you will win. 0-6 --> 14.

Total = 14

I tought this round would be rock paper sissors one. But That was not the case. it's more about Ayli (or gnarlwood dryad) + arrow winning vs everything except removal decks and removal decks doing draws at best against everything else.
    An interresting round that required to see the small interactions to win :)
    So reminder for the next round: Reconsider if people will or will not play removal to know if decks with 1 threat that can handle a board are viable :)
    Last edited by Tylert; 12-05-2019 at 03:12 AM.

Ayli doing a Hunger Games impression
    Think I can shoot down everything unless Ayli gets turned into stone!

WW

WW

Welp, it takes me two turns to play out Ayli and then equip. And I can't do anything until she's out.
    LL

WW

I know that I would Draw out against double Lupine on the draw, but Pacifist turning into 4/4 grants me the turn I need to shoot both down.
    U: forest
    S: arrows

U: academy, lupine
    S: ayli

U: attack S15, pacifist
    S: equip

U: attack with both (w flipped pacifist) S6
    S: ping lupine

U: attack S2
    S: ping pacifist

WW

@Tylert: Since the equip cost was 2, and arrows themselves cost 1 to put out, I figured that it was same speed either way. And Ayli was protected from Dual Shot and some other removal.

WW

WW

36 points

Quote Originally Posted by Asthereal View Post
    I can make your guy flip before you can equip it with Heirloom by simply not casting anything the turn after you play your messenger. This means you'll be stuck with a 2/2 and a 1/1 against my 5/5, 1/1 deathtouch and 1/2 guys. I should win that. 6-0
    Oh no!! My deck doesn't work. :(

Should have used my other deck: 2 Kessig Forgemaster.

GoblinSmashmaster results for Round "I submitted 4 lands"
    I can has 16 points???

No deathtouch army 0-6

Lifelink deathtouch army 4-1

Combo 0-6

No deathtouch army 0-6

No deathtouch army 0-6

Deathtouch army! 6-0

Deathtouch army! 6-0

That's me!
    Last edited by GoblinSmashmaster; 12-04-2019 at 03:15 PM.

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Quote Originally Posted by square_two View Post
    WW

@Tylert: Since the equip cost was 2, and arrows themselves cost 1 to put out, I figured that it was same speed either way. And Ayli was protected from Dual Shot and some other removal.
    Somehow i though that arrows costed 2. in that case, ayli is obviously better :)
    GJ.

1. Asthereal (TO): Forest, Gnarlwood Dryad, Loam Dryad, Lupine Prototype WW
    2. FTW: Foul Orchard, Gnarlwood Dryad, Gnarlwood Dryad, Vampire Cutthroat LL
    3. square_two: Plains, Swamp, Ayli, Eternal Pilgrim, Pathway Arrows WW - Pretty clever with the deathtouch pinger.
    5. Unlif3: Forest, Nephalia Academy, Lambholt Pacifist, Lupine Prototype DD
    6. Tylert: Forest, Gnarlwood Dryad, Gnarlwood Dryad, Gnarlwood Dryad DD
    7. H: Forest, Gnarlwood Dryad, Gnarlwood Dryad, Gnarlwood Dryad DD
    8. GoblinSmashmaster: Wandering Fumarole, Village Messenger, Neglected Heirloom, Mausoleum Wanderer WW

6w6d = 24 points

GoblinSmashmaster should score more than 0, 3/3 menace is quite potent as a clock (especially against the 1/1 deathtouch army) and if that fails 2/2 flying is good as well.

Heeeere we go for another "Deathtouch vs fatties" round. Yet again, I'm on the fat side: any resemblance with me is purely coincidental.

I think that I can force you to stay at bay because you most definitely won't win the race with one or even two 1/X vs a 4/4. DD
    You keep deathtouchers back while I'm slowly drained by the Vampire. LL
    This is what I call a nice deck. LL
    If I cast Prototype it gets Declared then Lambholts trade. If I cast Lambholt you cast Lambholt, force the trade, then Declare the Prototype and that's a draw anyhow. DD
    That's me, niftily dodging Declaration in Stone but losing to 1/1 deathtouchers as usual. Some people never learn.
    Have I ever mentioned how much I like despise the Deathtouch ability? LL
    Have I ever mentioned how much I like despise the Deathtouch ability? LL
    I should be able to win against a 2/2 and a 1/1 flier once I've forced the Messenger flip. WW

10 points ?

Sep 2011

Vampire Cutthroat is tech to beat fatties and Declaration in Stone while stopping a 1/1 flyer from racing me.

1. Asthereal (TO): You can't attack because Lupine + dork would trade with 2 Dryads. Cutthroat can't attack into 1/2. We stare at each other. DD 2-2
    3. square_two: GG. You broke the meta. This format has a lack of discard and good removal. Thanks to Lupine Prototype, the 1cc removals are useless and Declaration is really the only playable one (and Declaration decks have a hard time winning). You assemble your glass cannon in peace. LL 0-6
    4. Wrath of Pie: What I built to beat. Cutthroat picks away at your life while 1 Dryad stays on defense (other in hand). If you Declaration something, I play the 2nd Dryad. Then I still have 1 deathtouch blocker and 1 attacker, so you lose. WW 6-0
    5. Unlif3: The other thing I built to beat. 2 Dryads hold off your fatties while Cutthroat chips away at your life. WW 6-0
    6. Tylert: We crash into each other. DD 2-2
    7. H: We crash into each other. DD 2-2
    8. GoblinSmashmaster: This is closer than you think. I can force the flip, but you still have 2/2 Menace and 2/2 flyer or 3/3 Menace and 1/1 flyer vs my 3 1/1s. The only reason I have a fighting chance is Skulk Lifelink, which balances it out to 3 damage each. But I lose tempo skipping a turn to do nothing, which gives you a lead in the race. See below. DL 1-4

19 points (4 wins, 7 draws, 3 losses)

FTW vs Gobbo OTD

You - Tapped land
    Me - Tapped land

You - Messenger. Attack [F=19]
    Me - Dryad

You - Heirloom. If you attack, I block and trade and then Cutthroat+Dryad outraces the 2/2 flyer, so you hold.
    Me - Cast nothing to stop your combo. Attack [G=19]

You - Messenger flips into 2/2 Menace. Equip to 3/3 and attack. [F=17]
    Me - Dryad #2 and hold

You - Wanderer. Attack into 2 Dryads. I double block to trade, otherwise I fall further behind in the race. (3 dmg vs 2)
    Me - Cutthroat. I need to play this last and double block with Dryads, otherwise I miss out on Lifelink.

You - Equip Wanderer. Attack for 2 flying. [F=15]
    Me - Attack for lifelink. [F=16, G=18]

You - Attack for 2 flying. [F=14]
    Me - Attack for lifelink. [F=15, G=17]

This continues to [F=2, G=4]. Then your next hit for 2 flying kills me.

If I don't double block your 3/3 menace and attack back for 2, the life totals go
    [F=14, G=17]
    Then Wanderer and Cutthroat join in [F=11, G=14], [F=8, G=11]... and I still lose.

FTW vs Gobbo OTP
    You can't beat me, but you can stop me from winning.

Me - Tapped land
    You - Tapped land

Me - Dryad
    You - Messenger. Don't attack into Dryad.

Me - Cutthroat. Attack with Dryad. [G=19]
    You - Heirloom. No point in attacking to trade with Cutthroat (then I go to 21 and my 2 power outraces your 2 power).

Me - Play nothing, forcing the flip. Attack to race [G=17, F=21]
    You - Messenger flips. Equip and swing for 3 menace [F=18]

Me - Dryad #2. Attack for 2. [G=15, F=19]
    You - Wanderer. Attack for 3 menace. [F=16]

I'm ahead in life and tempo, so if you let my guys through to race 3 dmg vs 3 dmg, I'll win the race. If you trade Wanderer with a Dryad, it's 2 dmg vs 2 dmg and I still win the race. Your best line is to trade Wanderer with Cutthroat, which makes it 3 dmg vs 2 dmg and forces me to double block you to draw. I want to avoid that. If I just never attack with Cutthroat and you never attack with Wanderer, you have 3 dmg vs my 2 dmg and you outrace, so that's still bad for me. If I do nothing, you can equip Wanderer and attack for 2 flying and 2 menace, stealing a lead in the race no matter what I do. My only line is to use the tempo and life advantage to force you into a draw now.

Me - Attack with Cutthroat only. You trade with Wanderer. [F=17]
    You - Attack with 3 menace. I can't race so I double block to draw.

DL 1-4 for me

TylerT and H don't have lifelink, so you should win both easily. 6-0 vs them

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Tylert View Post
    8: GoblinSmashmaster: this one is a little bit tricky. but i think i can control when the messenger will transform so it will never have first strike and we will trade my 2 1/1 deatchtouch vs it and draw. My plan is to not play anything the turn you play messenger, that way it will transform and you won't be able to transform neglected heirloom. It wan't have first strike so we draw (You can't deal the first damage due to Fumarole comming into play tapped, so you can't win thanks to wanderer being unblockable). 2-2 --> 16.
    He races you because if you stop his combo he can make the flyer is 2/2....
    I only had a chance because of lifelink.

TylerT vs Gobbo

T - Dryad 1
    G - Tapped land

T - Dryad 2. Attack [G=19]
    G - Wanderer (no point in Messenger first since you have a blocker and can stop his combo anyway).

T - Dryad 3. Attack [G=17]
    G - Messenger. Attack for 1 flying. [T=19]

T - Attack for 3 [G=14]
    G - Messenger flips to 2/2 Menace. Heirloom. Attack for 1/1 flying and 2/2 menace [T=16]

T - Attack for 3 [G=11]
    G - Equip Messenger. Attack for 3/3 Menace and 1/1 flying [T=12]

If you race, it goes
    G=8, T=8
    G=5, T=4
    G=2, T=0 and you lose

T - Keep 2 Dryads on defense. Attack for 1 [G=10]
    G - Attack for 3/3 Menace and 1/1 flying. You double block the 3/3 to trade. [T=11].

T - Can't block so you attack [G=9]
    G - Equip Wanderer to 2/2 and attack [T=9]

You lose that race too.

Should be LL 0-6 for you.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by GoblinSmashmaster View Post
    0 points
    I count at least 16 points for you! 4 wins vs the deathtouch army, WD vs me.

Should have used my other deck: 2 Kessig Forgemaster.
    Forgemaster is interesting! The 3/2 + trigger trades with the 5/5 and 4/4 fatties but also wrecks deathtouch guys, so it's just a better 2-drop.

Needle Spires, Nephalia Academy, Kessig Forgemaster, Declaration in Stone
    would have gone WW against everyone except Wrath and Unlif3 (draws)!
    Last edited by FTW; 12-04-2019 at 04:30 PM.

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    He races you because if you stop his combo he can make the flyer is 2/2....
    I only had a chance because of lifelink.

TylerT vs Gobbo

T - Dryad 1
    G - Tapped land

T - Dryad 2. Attack [G=19]
    G - Wanderer (no point in Messenger first since you have a blocker and can stop his combo anyway).

T - Dryad 3. Attack [G=17]
    G - Messenger. Attack for 1 flying. [T=19]

T - Attack for 3 [G=14]
    G - Messenger flips to 2/2 Menace. Heirloom. Attack for 1/1 flying and 2/2 menace [T=16]

T - Attack for 3 [G=11]
    G - Equip Messenger. Attack for 3/3 Menace and 1/1 flying [T=12]

If you race, it goes
    G=8, T=8
    G=5, T=4
    G=2, T=0 and you lose

T - Keep 2 Dryads on defense. Attack for 1 [G=10]
    G - Attack for 3/3 Menace and 1/1 flying. You double block the 3/3 to trade. [T=11].

T - Can't block so you attack [G=9]
    G - Equip Wanderer to 2/2 and attack [T=9]

You lose that race too.

Should be LL 0-6 for you.
    Yeah, Forgot about the blade. But as i loose two guys, this is lost / lost for me.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

LOL, GoblinSmashmaster submits a deck that doesn't do what he wants it to do, but he still scores better than half the players.

Preliminary ranking for round 9

Rank. Player: Score - SP:
    1. square_two: 36 - 5,1
    2. Wrath of Pie: 24 - 3,4
    3. FTW: 19 - 2,7
    4. GoblinSmashmaster: 16 - 2,3
    5. Asthereal (TO): 14 - 2
    5. Tylert: 14 - 2
    5. H: 14 - 2
    8. Unlif3: 10 - 1,4

This doesn't change much at the top. GoblinSmashmaster maintains his lead, though Wrath of Pie comes closer. There's just 0,2 points between the leaders now.
    The near perfect round by square_two means he jumps to fourth place, despite missing the first three rounds! The Source will come to fear square_two's 4CB powers.

Oh and I still carry the red lantern. Looks like I'll be holding on to that one for the remainder of the season.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Last few rounds guys! Who will take the crown this time?

Round 10 of 4CB Season 4, The Block Tour - part 2, has started. For this round we shall play Kaladesh & Amonkhet block (Kaladesh, Aether Revolt, Amonkhet, Hour of Devastation)!

NOTE: Kaladesh Inventions and Amonkhet Invocations ("Masterpiece Series") cards are NOT legal!
    They are not officially part of their respective sets and therefor not part of the blocks.
    At least, that's what I have decided when I was trying to figure out what the heck was going on.
    The cards do show up in Gatherer when you select their respective blocks, but adding overpowered old cards to a new block just seems stupid.

If you don't know what I'm talking about here, don't worry. You'll recognize the cards when you see them.
    They look weird and are called Black Vise and Dark Ritual and so on...

Anyway, I have PM'ed myself my deck for round 10, so you can start sending me your decks.

DEADLINE: Wednesday the 11th of December, at 11:00AM Central European Time.
    (That's my time. Pacific Time it'll probably be something like Tuesday night a bit past midnight, so keep that in mind.)

PLEASE NOTE:
    The way you send your deck to me matters. Please send it in the way described below, so it doesn't cost me an hour of editing before I can post all the decks.
    Please send your deck as follows: Cinder Barrens, Sunscorched Desert, Wretched Camel, Abrade (so with card tags around each card, and not above eachother), with your Username and 4CB S04R10 in the topic.
    Many of you already do this. Thanks a lot, this really saves me a lot of time and hassle of copying and pasting text and tags!

After the deadline has passed, I will post all decks on the forum here, and you can start puzzling out your scores.
    If you have any questions, please read the first two posts of this thread first. If you can't find the answer there, drop a message here. We'll answer a.s.a.p.

Also, if you've been lurking on this thread and looking to join, you can step in anytime, any round. That's no problem at all. Just send me your deck before the deadline, and I'll add you to the competition.

Happy deck designing everybody!

Trying to get Scryfall to display only the legal cards was an actual task, because it turns out it is picky about the order, but I got it to work.

block:akh -set:mp2 OR block:kld -set:mps

MP2 and MPS are the set codes for Masterpiece sets.

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Quote Originally Posted by Wrath of Pie View Post
    Trying to get Scryfall to display only the legal cards was an actual task, because it turns out it is picky about the order, but I got it to work.

There is an Advanced search feature on MKM (that I use because scryfall is blocked at work). the sets are separated from the start but you have to name all sets you want to see (no block feature).

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Wrath of Pie View Post

Thanks, I just wish there was a way to exclude tokens...
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    Thanks, I just wish there was a way to exclude tokens...
    Try this:

(block:akh -set:mp2 OR block:kld -set:mps) -type:token -type:emblem

Still a few noncards in there, but those should be fairly obvious.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

The deadline has passed, and I'm at 7 entries, so I miss one regular.
    As I'm at work and I need to do a couple things, I can give our slow regular a few more hours.

Thread Information