Page 150 of 332 FirstFirst ... 50100140146147148149150151152153154160200250 ... LastLast
Results 2,981 to 3,000 of 6623

Thread: 4 Card Blind

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Re: 4 Card Blind

ROUND 4 OF SEASON 8: PEASANT CONTINUED BANNATHON has started.

I have PM'ed myself my deck for round 4, so you can start sending me your decks.

DEADLINE: Wednesday the 21st of October, at 11:00AM Central European Time.
    (That's my time zone. Pacific Time it'll probably be something like Tuesday night a bit past midnight, so keep that in mind.)

PLEASE NOTE:
    The way you send your deck to me matters. Please send it in the way described below, so it doesn't cost me an hour of editing before I can post all the decks.
    Please send your deck as follows: Swamp, Swamp, Terror, Black Knight.
    So with card tags around each card, and not above eachother, and with your Username and 4CB S08R04 in the topic.
    Don't forget to keep an eye on the banned list. You'll find it in the second post of the thread, or in our Google Spreadsheet.

After the deadline has passed, I will post all decks on the forum here, and you can start puzzling out your scores.
    If you have any questions, please read the first two posts of this thread first. If you can't find the answer there, drop a message here. We'll answer a.s.a.p.

Also, if you've been lurking on this thread and looking to join, you can step in anytime, any round. That's no problem at all. Just send me your deck before the deadline, and I'll add you to the competition.

Happy deck designing everybody!
    Join the 4 Card Blind competition!

Back to my newfound home of eighth place, it seems.

I have been having a lot of success with tuning curses; I am just going to submit something that looks neat in this as I don't have time to gauntlet. Hopefully people appreciate the free points.

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Quote Originally Posted by Reeplcheep View Post
    I have been having a lot of success with tuning curses; I am just going to submit something that looks neat in this as I don't have time to gauntlet. Hopefully people appreciate the free points.
    You're spending too much time watching Medea's stream :)

What does tuning curses mean? I've never heard anything like that.

I used to run gauntlets of all the decks I was considering, but they got really inbred. Then I started differentiating between what I might play and what I think others would play, to mixed success. Sometimes my gauntlets delude my thinking and I end up ditching the winning deck, like Nether Spirit+Mind Swords or Burning Inquiry. This is to say that sometimes impulsive first impressions are the way to go. I'm curious to see what people are going to bring this week.

Quote Originally Posted by silkster View Post
    I meant refining my decklist here: http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...26#post1088326

Quote Originally Posted by silkster View Post
    He's talking Legacy.

Oh, that makes sense. I thought "tuning curses" was a metaphor for something and I couldn't figure out what. I forget that this forum has a purpose other than 4CB! But that list looks really cool. Congrats on the perfect league and making the mothership lists! I have zero mtgo collection, but, if paper magic is ever a thing again, I'm not tooo far away from this list and would totally try it (mostly just Karns, Helms, curses, and recent stuff).

After the post about not having time and just submitting whatever, I got confused and submitted my deck early. What this means, though, is that I was disappointed today that the next set of lists isn't. Now I get to worry about my deck for another day.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Looks like we're complete, but my work day will be absolute chaos, so I'll probably only be able to post deck tonight... Sorry for the delay!

Quote Originally Posted by Asthereal View Post
    Looks like we're complete, but my work day will be absolute chaos, so I'll probably only be able to post deck tonight... Sorry for the delay!
    Inform work that Chaos Warp is not legal this round.

Feb 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Wrath of Pie View Post
    Inform work that Chaos Warp is not legal this round.
    Unfortunately Throes of Chaos is, and it can come back every day, even though it is not particularly great in the format.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

DECKS FOR ROUND 4 OF SEASON 8: Peasant Continued Bannathon

1. Asthereal (TO): Swamp, Swamp, Blackmail, Porcelain Legionnaire
    2. dte: Hickory Woodlot, Channel, Hand of Emrakul, Nantuko Tracer
    3. Reeplcheep: Vault of Whispers, Orzhov Basilica, Peppersmoke, Extricator of Sin
    4. FTW: Strip Mine, Plains, Knight of Sursi, Knight of Sursi
    5. alphastryk: Swamp, Swamp, Blackmail, Porcelain Legionnaire
    6. silkster: Mountain, Rite of Flame, Rite of Flame, Barbed Shocker
    7. Wrath of Pie: Strip Mine, Island, Phantasmal Bear, Phantasmal Bear
    8. H: Rushwood Grove, Vine Trellis, Elephant Ambush, Acorn Harvest
    9. GoblinSmashmaster: Hickory Woodlot, Channel, Eldrazi Devastator, Porcelain Legionnaire
    10. maxx!: Forest, Tinder Farm, Reclaim, Anurid Scavenger
    11. Tylert: Swamp, Chronomaton, Wretched banquet, Unearth

Please post your scores and cross-check with the opponents.
    We also have a new Google Spreadsheet for the season, so you can enter your scores there as well: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Sep 2011

1. Asthereal (TO): I hide Plains from Blackmail. If you take a Knight, I Strip you off Legionnaire mana and win with the other Knight. If you take Strip Mine, double Knight just barely win the race at 5 life OTP and 2 life OTD. See math below. WW 6-0
    2. dte: Strip Mine beats tapped land. WW 6-0
    3. Reeplcheep: Cool tech! But Strip Mine kills your mana and Peppersmoke isn't enough. WW 6-0
    5. alphastryk: See Asthereal. You have to Blackmail Strip Mine, then double Knight wins the race. WW 6-0
    6. silkster: OTD I just lose. OTP I can suspend a Knight to eventually block and trade. DL 1-4
    7. Wrath of Pie: We each only get one creature before getting Stripped. Bear races Knight, so I have to block to draw. DD 2-2
    8. H: Strip Mine beats tapped land. WW 6-0
    9. GoblinSmashmaster: Strip Mine beats tapped land. WW 6-0
    10. maxx!: Strip Mine on tapped Tinder Farm (whether you play it first or second) forces you to Reclaim Tinder Farm and replay it tapped on turn 3, only making your 3/3 on turn 4, slow enough for double Knight to race. WW 6-0
    11. Tylert: You get to cast 1 spell before eating Strip Mine. You can either Banquet one Knight or play a 1/1, but neither is enough to beat my 2nd Knight with 0 lands. WW 6-0

51 points (16 wins, 3 draws, 1 loss)

I didn't want to spoil this before but Strip Mine, Plains, and 2 copies of the 3/3 Knight would have dominated the last round. I tried the next best thing.
    Wrath's might be even better without Suspend (e.g. he can block Shocker and then play the 2nd Bear to win).

Math vs Blackmail deck (Asthereal and Alphastryk)
    A - Blackmail. I hide Plains & you take Strip Mine (if you take a Knight, Strip Mine stops your creature and the 2nd Knight wins)
    F - Plains. Suspend Knight # 1 (3 counters)

A - Legionnaire [A = 18 life]
    F - Suspend Knight #2 (3 counters, 2 counters)

A - Attack for 3 [F=17 / A=18]
    F - (2 counters, 1 counter)

A - Attack for 3 [F=14 / A=18]
    F - (1 counters, 0 counters) Haste knight attacks [F=14 / A=16]

A - Attack for 3 [F=11 / A=16]
    F - 2nd resolves. Both attack [F=11 / A=12]

You can't block due to flying (and flanking!), so the race goes like this
    F=8 / A=8
    F=5 / A=4
    F=2 / A=0
    I'm even faster OTP
    Last edited by FTW; 10-22-2020 at 06:52 AM.

Feb 2014

Strip mins returns!
    I managed to send a deck first it seems :)
    With a good reading of the meta, I play tapland:

6/0. Tracer > blackmail, Hand smash. I do think Blackmail is the best unco of the format, that's why I played tracer.

3. Reeplcheep: Vault of Whispers, Orzhov Basilica, Peppersmoke, Extricator of Sin
    6/0, Hand smash.

0/6. Strip mine.

6/0. Tracer > blackmail, Hand smash.

0/6. Barbed Shocker > tapland.

0/6. Strip mine.

6/0, Hand smash.

9. GoblinSmashmaster: Hickory Woodlot, Channel, Eldrazi Devastator, Porcelain Legionnaire
    0/6. Pseudo mirror, devastator > hand. I could double block devastator, but then die to legionnaire. I hesitated a lot between the fatties, and thought that the hand would save in some stupid situations. But very bad choice for the mirror, which I did not expect.

6/0, Hand smash.

6/0, Hand smash.

I was planning to submit a strip mine deck, but changed my mind when I saw that Path to exile and Law-Rune Enforcer got banned, thinking it was fatties time. It was good to change my mind, my strip mine deck would have lost all mirrors :)

1. Asthereal (TO): Swamp, Swamp, Blackmail, Porcelain Legionnaire DD
    2. dte: Hickory Woodlot, Channel, Hand of Emrakul, Nantuko Tracer WW
    3. Reeplcheep: Vault of Whispers, Orzhov Basilica, Peppersmoke, Extricator of Sin WW
    4. FTW: Strip Mine, Plains, Knight of Sursi, Knight of Sursi DD - If FTW had effectively the same plan, that is usually a good sign.
    5. alphastryk: Swamp, Swamp, Blackmail, Porcelain Legionnaire DD
    6. silkster: Mountain, Rite of Flame, Rite of Flame, Barbed Shocker WL
    8. H: Rushwood Grove, Vine Trellis, Elephant Ambush, Acorn Harvest WW
    9. GoblinSmashmaster: Hickory Woodlot, Channel, Eldrazi Devastator, Porcelain Legionnaire WW
    10. maxx!: Forest, Tinder Farm, Reclaim, Anurid Scavenger DD
    11. Tylert: Swamp, Chronomaton, Wretched banquet, Unearth WW

11w8d = 41 points

Flying turned out to be better than 2/2s for 1 mana.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by dte View Post

0/6. Pseudo mirror, devastator > hand. I could double block devastator, but then die to legionnaire. I hesitated a lot between the fatties, and thought that the hand would save in some stupid situations. But very bad choice for the mirror, which I did not expect.
    I doubt anyone in the entire group expected a Channel mirror. This is hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    I doubt anyone in the entire group expected a Channel mirror. This is hilarious.
    Annihilator should do things in that matchup, but it is indeed hilarious.

GoblinSmashmaster Results for Round "Bad Timing"

Blackmail 2-2

Eldrazi smash! 6-0

Eldrazi smash! 6-0

Strip Mine 0-6

Blackmail 2-2

Shocker smash :( 0-6

Strip Mine 0-6

Eldrazi smash 6-0

That's me!

Eldrazi smash 6-0

Eldrazi smash 6-0

Total: 34 points

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

The mirror always results in DD - the place OTD hides Blackmail and we each take the other's threat.

2-2

You can always hide the land from Blackmail, which is enough. LL

0-6

OTP: you have to hide Vault of Whispers from Blackmail or you never do anything. I can take your threat to force a draw, but I can't win. D
    OTD: same as a above but Vault is "hidden" by being in play. D

2-2

2 threats I can't block and Strip Mine. Can't get there even in a race (taking Strip Mine with Blackmail, since you have to hide the Plains) although it is close. LL
    0-6

This is me

Wow, I remember Barbed Shocker from another round - deviant legacy I think?
    OTP: I can take any 1 card with Blackmail and that's enough. W
    OTD: I lose my hand to Shocker. L

3-3

I think I always force a draw - if you hide Strip Mine from Blackmail, I can take the Island and prevent your threats. If you let me take Strip Mine instead, I make a 3/1 with First Strike and sit on defense all day to force the draw. Don't think its meaningfully different play vs draw. DD

2-2

That's a lot of threats! You'll always have to hide the land from Blackmail, so I'll get to take the wall away to make it a race. The fastest way you can get rid of my first striker is by making 4 squirrels for 6 mana on your turn 7. I'll be playing my threat on my turn 2, and have to attack 7 times to win. Thats never fast enough. LL

0-6

You always hide the land from Blackmail, leaving my to take Channel or the Eldrazi. Either way, we end up both with Legionaries so its a draw. DD

2-2

Interesting, nothing I can take with Blackmail does much at all. On the other hand, my worst cast I can force a draw by having a first striker. We both produce our threats on turn 2 (I couldn't find a way to slow yours down a turn but I might have missed it). That means when I'm OTP I'm attacking first so I can eventually force a block, and you can't grind Reclaim every turn so that's enough. When I'm OTD however, you're winning the race so I'm forced to go on defense. WD

4-1

You always hide your Swamp from Blackmail, and Unearh always gets back Chronomaton so the only meaningful thing I can take is Wretched Banquet. Unfortunately, I can't beat Chronomaton ever. LL

0-6

Total: 15 points

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Quote Originally Posted by alphastryk View Post
    The mirror always results in DD - the place OTD hides Blackmail and we each take the other's threat.

2-2

You can always hide the land from Blackmail, which is enough. LL

0-6

OTP: you have to hide Vault of Whispers from Blackmail or you never do anything. I can take your threat to force a draw, but I can't win. D
    OTD: same as a above but Vault is "hidden" by being in play. D

2-2

2 threats I can't block and Strip Mine. Can't get there even in a race (taking Strip Mine with Blackmail, since you have to hide the Plains) although it is close. LL
    0-6

This is me

Wow, I remember Barbed Shocker from another round - deviant legacy I think?
    OTP: I can take any 1 card with Blackmail and that's enough. W
    OTD: I lose my hand to Shocker. L

3-3

I think I always force a draw - if you hide Strip Mine from Blackmail, I can take the Island and prevent your threats. If you let me take Strip Mine instead, I make a 3/1 with First Strike and sit on defense all day to force the draw. Don't think its meaningfully different play vs draw. DD

2-2

That's a lot of threats! You'll always have to hide the land from Blackmail, so I'll get to take the wall away to make it a race. The fastest way you can get rid of my first striker is by making 4 squirrels for 6 mana on your turn 7. I'll be playing my threat on my turn 2, and have to attack 7 times to win. Thats never fast enough. LL

0-6

You always hide the land from Blackmail, leaving my to take Channel or the Eldrazi. Either way, we end up both with Legionaries so its a draw. DD

2-2

Interesting, nothing I can take with Blackmail does much at all. On the other hand, my worst cast I can force a draw by having a first striker. We both produce our threats on turn 2 (I couldn't find a way to slow yours down a turn but I might have missed it). That means when I'm OTP I'm attacking first so I can eventually force a block, and you can't grind Reclaim every turn so that's enough. When I'm OTD however, you're winning the race so I'm forced to go on defense. WD

4-1

You always hide your Swamp from Blackmail, and Unearh always gets back Chronomaton so the only meaningful thing I can take is Wretched Banquet. Unfortunately, I can't beat Chronomaton ever. LL

0-6

Total: 15 points
    I somewhat presumptiously presume I score the same 15 points.

Thread Information