Page 122 of 332 FirstFirst ... 2272112118119120121122123124125126132172222 ... LastLast
Results 2,421 to 2,440 of 6623

Thread: 4 Card Blind

Sep 2011

Re: 4 Card Blind

Round 1 is Pauper (4 Commons only) right?

I inferred that from part of the text but it doesn't stand out and seems like something people could miss.

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Quote Originally Posted by Asthereal View Post
    The tournament organizer will make calculations (or have Google Spreadsheet figure that stuff out) and keep track of standings below. Note: season points are always rounded to one decimal.
    I've you seen how close the last season ended???!!!
    Two decimals at least! :)

Quote Originally Posted by Tylert View Post
    I've you seen how close the last season ended???!!!
    Two decimals at least! :)
    Interested to see if that makes a difference.

EDIT: OpenOffice import understands international decimal format and turns it into American format, I learned something today. I also think I figured out why Asthereal does rounding, he is either unaware of spreadsheet cross-referencing or did it for simplicity's sake.

EDIT2: Without any rounding, I win the season by 39/168 points, or about .232 points if you prefer decimals.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Wrath of Pie View Post
    EDIT2: Without any rounding, I win the season by 39/168 points, or about .232 points if you prefer decimals.
    Quite a photo finish! Congratulations

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    Quite a photo finish! Congratulations
    Hopefully the Pauper/Peasant season can have the same excitement.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Interested to see if that makes a difference.

EDIT: OpenOffice import understands international decimal format and turns it into American format, I learned something today. I also think I figured out why Asthereal does rounding, he is either unaware of spreadsheet cross-referencing or did it for simplicity's sake.

Good to see my napkin math was correct in estimating that you would be more ahead without rounding.
    (PS. I'm actually crap at Excel, so cross-referencing and stuff like that isn't really an option unless I get help.)

I'm glad this season turned out as well as it did. There were a lot of unknowns at the start and I made more than a few errors.
    Seeing such a close finish and so many cool decks in the last rounds definitely helps me to look back on this experiment fondly.

About the new season, in response to FTW:
    Indeed rounds 1 to 6 are Pauper (only commons allowed) and rounds 7 to 12 are Peasant (max one uncommon, rest common cards).
    I thought that was clear from the text and previous discussion, but I'll try to think about mentioning what's what in the announcement when a round opens for submissions.

For those who missed it, as it was the last post on the previous page:

ROUND 1 of SEASON 7: PAUPER & PEASANT BANNATHON has started.

This round we play Pauper (only commons allowed.)

I have PM'ed myself my deck for round 1, so you can start sending me your decks.

DEADLINE: Wednesday the 1st of July, at 11:00AM Central European Time.
    (That's my time zone. Pacific Time it'll probably be something like Tuesday night a bit past midnight, so keep that in mind.)

PLEASE NOTE:
    The way you send your deck to me matters. Please send it in the way described below, so it doesn't cost me an hour of editing before I can post all the decks.
    Please send your deck as follows: Swamp, Desert, Terror, Fallen Askari.
    So with card tags around each card, and not above eachother, and with your Username and 4CB S07R01 in the topic.
    Don't forget to keep an eye on the banned list. You'll find it in the second post of the thread, or in our Google Spreadsheet.

After the deadline has passed, I will post all decks on the forum here, and you can start puzzling out your scores.
    If you have any questions, please read the first two posts of this thread first. If you can't find the answer there, drop a message here. We'll answer a.s.a.p.

Also, if you've been lurking on this thread and looking to join, you can step in anytime, any round. That's no problem at all. Just send me your deck before the deadline, and I'll add you to the competition.

Happy deck designing everybody!
    Join the 4 Card Blind competition!

The good news is that you can both have cross-referencing and have the spreadsheet do the rounding for you.

The bad news is that it is easy to screw up the cross-references, because you have to make sure the right value corresponds to the right participant.

1. Wrath of Pie: 41,6
    2. FTW: 41,5
    3. Tylert: 38,2
    4. Asthereal (TO): 35,7
    5. silkster: 33,9
    6. Moosedog: 29,1
    7. alphastryk: 28
    8. GoblinSmashmaster: 24,1
    9. H: 22,6

By far the closest finish we've had. I'm inclined to congratulate you both.
    I'd like to commemorate the end of the season with some shout outs to our two winners.

To FTW, for some incredible meta reads with Karakas against tribal, and Iona plus half of Leyline of Anticipation.

To Wrath of Pie for the brilliance of Ghostly Prison with Dust Bowl.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

The good news is that you can both have cross-referencing and have the spreadsheet do the rounding for you.

The bad news is that it is easy to screw up the cross-references, because you have to make sure the right value corresponds to the right participant.
    Exactly. The main thing is that I don't know any of the formulas.
    Maybe after I move I'll teach myself. Who knows, I might actually get good at this.

Quote Originally Posted by silkster View Post
    I'd like to commemorate the end of the season with some shout outs to our two winners.

To FTW, for some incredible meta reads with Karakas against tribal, and Iona plus half of Leyline of Anticipation.

To Wrath of Pie for the brilliance of Ghostly Prison with Dust Bowl.
    Indeed.

Though I would like to add a shout-out to Tylert for a second top-3 finish in a row after struggling at the bottom of the charts for the first seasons.
    You're getting the hang of this.

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Though I would like to add a shout-out to Tylert for a second top-3 finish in a row after struggling at the bottom of the charts for the first seasons.
    You're getting the hang of this.
    I was second in the first season :)

I'm improving yes, but problem is there are a few rounds where I did not have any time to do homework. And it's going to get worse...
    Congrats to FTW and Wrath they were very consistent!!

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Quote Originally Posted by Tylert View Post
    I was second in the first season :)

I'm improving yes, but problem is there are a few rounds where I did not have any time to do homework. And it's going to get worse...
    Congrats to FTW and Wrath they were very consistent!!
    Wait, did I forget about that? I'm getting old.

But the homework thing is very real. I also run into that issue every now and then. It definitely reflects in the results.
    Last edited by Asthereal; 06-29-2020 at 06:29 AM.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

A little under 24 hours until the deadline, and we're at 3 entries. Don't miss out!

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

A little under 24 hours until the deadline, and we're at 3 entries. Don't miss out!
    Gonna send something... plz wait for me :)

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

I think I have everybody. I'll be posting decks as soon as my boss can spare me.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Okay, let the new season begin!
    And welcome to our newest player: maxx! who immediately sports a super powerful Inquiry deck. I hope you do well!

DECKS FOR ROUND 1 OF SEASON 7: Pauper

1. Asthereal (TO): Gruul Guildgate, Durkwood Baloth, Durkwood Baloth, Blazing Volley
    2. GoblinSmashmaster: Mountain, Fanatical Firebrand, Boros Recruit, Magma Spray
    3. Wrath of Pie: Island, Viscerid Deepwalker, Sea's Claim, Curfew
    4. alphastryk: Swamp, Evil Presence, Vendetta, Vampire Lacerator
    5. H: Ancient Den, Lotus Petal, Glint Hawk, Glint Hawk
    6. FTW: Swamp, Dark Ritual, Delirium Skeins, Basking Rootwalla
    7. Moosedog: Peat bog, Miasmic mummy, Exhume, Ulamog’s crusher
    8. maxx!: Durkwood Baloth, Burning Inquiry, Simian Spirit Guide, Forest
    9. silkster: Swamp, Skittering Heartstopper, Skittering Heartstopper, Call to the Netherworld
    10. Tylert: Forest, Slippery bogle, Forced adaptation, Vault skirge

Please post your scores and cross-check with the opponents.
    I'll update the Google Spreadsheet for the season, so you can enter your scores there as well: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Asthereal's results for round 1:

1. Asthereal (TO): Gruul Guildgate, Durkwood Baloth, Durkwood Baloth, Blazing Volley
    That's me, meta-ing heavily against a deck that nobody cared to play. Oh well.
    My dudes are big and my removal is surprisingly effective against your team. 6-0
    Sea's Claim does kinda stop me. 0-6
    Same counts for Evil Presence. 0-6
    Hawks race me. 0-6
    Skreins makes me discard everything. 0-6
    Crusher makes me sac everything. 0-6
    Inquiry makes me discard everything. 0-6
    9. silkster: Swamp, Skittering Heartstopper, Skittering Heartstopper, Call to the Netherworld
    Hmm... does this actually work against me? I think it might. You can attack with just one guy at a time, and you can bring one back so you effectively have 3 guys. 0-6
    If you cast Adaptation on your guy, I kill it with Volley. If you don't, I win the race anyway, so I guess I pick this one up. 6-0

Total: 12 points. That's not the greatest of starts.

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Asthereal's results for round 1:

That's me, meta-ing heavily against a deck that nobody cared to play. Oh well.
    My dudes are big and my removal is surprisingly effective against your team. 6-0
    Sea's Claim does kinda stop me. 0-6
    Same counts for Evil Presence. 0-6
    Hawks race me. 0-6
    Skreins makes me discard everything. 0-6
    Crusher makes me sac everything. 0-6
    Inquiry makes me discard everything. 0-6
    Hmm... does this actually work against me? I think it might. You can attack with just one guy at a time, and you can bring one back so you effectively have 3 guys. 0-6
    If you cast Adaptation on your guy, I kill it with Volley. If you don't, I win the race anyway, so I guess I pick this one up. 6-0

Total: 12 points. That's not the greatest of starts.
    Don't worry, i'm not going to make a lot of points too :)

Sep 2011

Oh right, why would I play the clunky Skeins over Burning Inquiry. I'm just used to that card starting out banned.
    Congrats maxx! on finding the correct version of that deck

6. FTL: Swamp, Dark Ritual, Delirium Skeins, Basking Rootwalla

1. Asthereal (TO): OTP I wreck your hand. OTD you can't play anything with a tapped land so I wreck your hand again. WW 6-0
    2. GoblinSmashmaster: OTP I wreck your hand. OTD you can play first striking Recruit to race Rootwalla. WL 3-3
    3. Wrath of Pie: OTP I wreck your hand. OTD you can suspend Deepwalker and eventually race. WL 3-3
    4. alphastryk: OTP I wreck your hand. OTD you get Lacerator first. I can pace you till we both hit 10, then Lacerator wins. WL 3-3
    5. H: OTP I wreck your hand. OTD you use the busted aggro deck I spoiled last time and crush me in the air. WL 3-3
    7. Moosedog: OTP I wreck your hand. OTD you have a tapped land so you get wrecked again. WW 6-0
    8. maxx!: OTP I wreck your hand. OTD you wreck mine. I still get Rootwalla from Madness, but no match for Baloth. WL 3-3
    9. silkster: Your metagame deck works. OTP I wreck your hand, but you keep a Swamp and Madness back one Heartstopper. You can play it before I attack, so you get the first attack to win the race. OTD you get 2 Heartstoppers. LL 0-6
    10. Tylert: OTP I wreck your hand. OTD you make Skirge to race with flying lifelink. WL 3-3

30 points (10 wins, 8 losses)

GoblinSmashmaster Results for Round "Common Goblins are Lame"

Goblins go up in a blaze :( 0-6

That's me!

The sea claims its next victim 0-6

Vampire's lacerations get sprayed with magma 2-2

Just barely faster 0-6

Recruit strikes first! 3-3

I get crushed 0-6

Too big 0-6

Goblins don't smash :( 2-2

Too slippery 0-6

Total: 7 points
    Last edited by GoblinSmashmaster; 07-01-2020 at 12:40 PM.

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

Result for round 1, where I feel like my deck is too fair. Forgot Burning Inquiry and Delerium Skeins are legal now.

Evil Presence takes it home. WW 6-0

If you ever play out your land, I turn it into a swamp. On the other hand, I can't play my guy until that has happened or I lose it. I think this turns into a staring contest. DD 2-2

I think this is just a staring contest, if either of us ever plays out our land we lose. DD 2-2

This is me

I can't race your 2 threats. LL 0-6

OTP: I can get my 2/2 down first and once it stops hurting me I pull away. W
    OTD: I lose my hand and do nothing. L
    3-3

Evil Presence takes it home. WW 6-0

Burning Inquiry crushes me. LL 0-6

I can't defeat your team, even if my removal spell could target them. LL 0-6

I can't kill either of your guys, but I can prevent Forced Adaptation from coming down, so its a race. If I'm ever winning that race, you can hold back a double block, so I think these games can only be wins for you or draws. I'll have to run through the math:
    OTP: I play Lacerator turn 1, you play Boggle. I go to 19, then attack you to 18. You go to 16 to play Skirge, then attack me to 18. I go to 17 and attack back, putting you to 14. Then you swing back, and I go to 15 and you go up to 15. I go down to 14 and swing back, putting you to 13. You attack me down to 12 and go up to 14. I don't see how I ever win this race, so OTD must be even worse. LL 0-6

Total: 19 points

Thread Information