Page 158 of 332 FirstFirst ... 58108148154155156157158159160161162168208258 ... LastLast
Results 3,141 to 3,160 of 6623

Thread: 4 Card Blind

Sep 2011

Re: 4 Card Blind

Quote Originally Posted by Asthereal View Post
    Does 2x Harrier work that well against Chrono?
    He can still grow it, and then you run into, say, a 5/5 Chrono.
    He keeps Chrono back for defence. You tap it and then attack. Both Harriers are now tapped.
    The very next turn he attacks back for 5.
    He can do this every other turn, so it doesn't even look like you have a win there.
    2 Harriers vs 1 Chrono: (or any other fatty like Eldrazi or Infect)
    Harrier #1 taps Chrono on his combat step. In response, he can grow it.
    Both Harriers untap. Harrier #2 attacks and gets through.
    Harrier #1 taps Chrono on his combat step...
    Repeat
    WW.

Harrier #2 could be any generic 1/1. The 2nd creature was a Harrier to be redundant through removal like Wretched Banquet. 1 Harrier vs 1 Chrono draws.
    The same thing happens vs Blackmail + Legionnaire.

Tapping dodges Unearth, while removal walks me into a 2nd Chrono and then I'd be playing 2 cards vs 3 cards (Wasteland is a wasted slot). I wouldn't have beat the Chrono deck, but it draws. Basic + 3 cards is an inherently bad matchup for Wasteland + 2 cards, so my goal was just to avoid a loss, while hopefully beating nonbasic decks.

2 Harriers + Wasteland would have scored 52 points last week, losing only to the Affliction decks (banned) and taking 0 losses against everything else. But of course the meta smartly shifted around Wasteland. This was a classic choice of play the DTB vs play around the DTB.
    Last edited by FTW; 11-12-2020 at 08:52 AM.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    2 Harriers vs 1 Chrono: (or any other fatty like Eldrazi or Infect)
    Harrier #1 taps Chrono on his combat step. In response, he can grow it.
    Both Harriers untap. Harrier #2 attacks and gets through.
    Harrier #1 taps Chrono on his combat step...
    Repeat
    Oh right, you can just keep tapping in beginning of combat step. Duh. Never mind.
    Join the 4 Card Blind competition!

GoblinSmashmaster Results for Round "LD again"

1. Asthereal (TO): Saprazzan Skerry, Force of Will, Infiltrator il-Kor, Infiltrator il-Kor
    Force 0-6

2. dte: Swamp, Swamp, isochron scepter, Geth's Verdict
    Combo 0-6

3. Reeplcheep: Wasteland, Plains, Sacred Cat, Kitesail
    LD 0-6

4. GoblinSmashmaster: Hickory Woodlot, Channel, Eldrazi Devastator, Whispersilk Cloak
    That's me :(

5. Wrath of Pie: Wasteland, Plains, Akrasan Squire, Sacred Cat
    LD 0-6

6. alphastryk: Swamp, Encroach, Hired Poisoner, Hired Poisoner
    Encroach 3-3

7. H: Pendelhaven, Lush Growth, Thornscape Apprentice, Orochi Leafcaller
    LD 0-6

8. maxx!: Forest, Glistener Elf, Invigorate, Scale Up
    10/8 1-4

9. silkster: Swamp, Night Market Lookout, Paralyze, Blackmail
    Blackmail 0-6

10. FTW: Wasteland, Plains, Goldmeadow Harrier, Goldmeadow Harrier
    LD 0-6

11. Tylert: Aether vial, Ingot Chewer, Faceless butcher, Mountain
    Cloak gets chewed 3-3

Total: 7 points :( :(

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

I probably outthought myself to choose Encroach over Wasteland. Ah well, lets see what happens.

1. Asthereal (TO): Saprazzan Skerry, Force of Will, Infiltrator il-Kor, Infiltrator il-Kor
    FoW beats Encroach when needed, and I lose the race to unblockable threats. LL

0-6

Nice deck, and I can't interact with it. LL

0-6

OTP: I can Encroach Wasteland to strand Kitesail in your hand, and force trades with your Cat twice. D
    OTD: You are able to race me with a flying life gain cat. L

1-4

4. GoblinSmashmaster: Hickory Woodlot, Channel, Eldrazi Devastator, Whispersilk Cloak
    OTP: Encroach your Woodlot to strand your hand. W
    OTD: Get crushed by a guy I can't block and deathtouch. Wasteland is looking so much better than Encroach right about now. L

3-3

Wasteland and Encroach are useless, your "3" threats beats my 2 deathtouchers. LL

0-6

This is me

OTP: Encroach your Pendelhaven to strand your hand. W
    OTD: Encroach is a brick I get to play only 1 creature before Lush Growth takes care of my swamp. L

3-3

Encroach does nothing, but I should always be able to get a death touch blocker out and attack with my other deathtoucher, and you can't afford to trade. WW

6-0

Encroach is a brick, so it looks like Blackmail always takes one of my Poisoners and Paralyze takes care of the other. LL

0-6

Wasteland and Encroach are useless, when I'm OTP I can start the race, forcing you to eventually block for a draw, otherwise the tappers allow you to dictate the race timing in your favor. DL

1-4

Encroach is useless, and I think you can always win after all the threats are on the table (Butcher hiding one of my Poisoners). You can attack with Chewer and if I ever trade I lose to the unopposed Butcher. LL

0-6

Total: 14 points.

Wasteland confirmed better than Encroach. Whoops!
    Last edited by alphastryk; 11-12-2020 at 03:10 PM.

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

You do.
    Looks like I had too much drink yesterday... I was sure that I had submitted Radiant fountain as a last minute tech because why play a basic land when you only need it for vial? !!

Quote Originally Posted by Tylert View Post
    Looks like I had too much drink yesterday... I was sure that I had submitted Radiant fountain as a last minute tech because why play a basic land when you only need it for vial? !!
    Don't drink and Vial is your new slogan.

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

1. Asthereal: You can fow vial. 0-6 --> 0
    2. dte: I can chew scepter before you can use it. 6-0 --> 6
    3. Reeplcheep: Butcher on cat, wasteland does nothing. 6-0 --> 12
    4. Goblismashmaster: OTP, You can do nothing until I vial in butcher and stay on defense for the draw. OTD, I'm one turn too late to remove your guy with butcher. 1-4 --> 13
    5. Wrath of pie: Butcher on cat to win. 6-0 --> 19.
    6. Alphastryk: Once again, if you don't play anything, I have to vial in butcher to apply pressure and it leads to a double draw. 2-2 --> 21
    7. H: If you don't play anything, I have to play butcher to apply pressure and then we both can't attack profitably. 2-2 --> 23
    8. maxx!: Too fast for me. 0-6 --> 23
    9. silkster: OTP, You can take one threat, but you can't attack after into vial... OTD, You take vial with blackmail. 1-4 --> 24
    10. FTW: Butcher exile one Harrier and him and chewer race a lone harrier. Even if you don't play anything, I have bigger threats. 6-0 --> 30
    11. Me.

Total = 30. Matches to be reviewed: H, Goblinsmashmaster, Alphastryk.

Aaaaahhhh I waited so long before playing vial because I really thought it was too slow. I'm glad I waited so much :)

Anyone else had a different vial deck up their sleeve?? Which choice of creatures?? Ingot chewer was some kind of meta call because I thought people would show up with chrono or vial on that round :) I happened to blow lots of things, but no vial nor chrono :)
    Last edited by Tylert; 11-13-2020 at 02:16 AM.

Sep 2011

Total = 40. I didn't see any difference between my analysis and the one of people that already posted.

Aaaaahhhh I waited so long before playing vial because I really thought it was too slow. I'm glad I waited so much :)

Anyone else had a different vial deck up their sleeve?? Which choice of creatures?? Ingot chewer was some kind of meta call because I thought people would show up with chrono or vial on that round :)
    Great timing for Vial!! It paid off.

I had a very similar deck up my sleeve, with a worse card than Ingot Chewer. Chewer is good tech. Mine would have been too slow for Channel.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Round: I forgot Wasteland wasn't banned and just copied someone's deck.

H: Pendelhaven, Lush Growth, Thornscape Apprentice, Orochi Leafcaller

Lush Growth is pretty good here, forcing you to use the Force and then I can tap the Kor forever and win. 6-0

Unlimited removal I can't stop. 0-6

Forgot Wasteland wasn't already banned. 0-6

Lush does work here. 6-0

That a Wasteland. 0-6

I lost on the Draw to Encroach. On the Play I can use Lush Growth to make sure the second Poisoner can't land and so I can win. 3-3

7. H: Bye, myself.

I actually think this is a Draw, because I can't get tapping up in time, so I will have to chump block, but then you only have Scale Up left. If you use Scale Up, I take it, if you don't I block and kill the elf, but my creature dies EOT. 2-2

I think Blackmail has to take Lush, but then I have two threats, plus the Pendlehaven? Might need to think about this more, but maybe 6-0?

Yeah, another Wasteland. 0-6

I have nothing for Vial. 0-6

Maybe 23?
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Me: silkster: Swamp, Night Market Lookout, Paralyze, Blackmail

I wondered if I would face this deck again. It feels like you're lucky to come away with a draw, but a draw is a draw. 2 points

Blackmail does its thing. 6 points
    So many times I find myself waffling between the Deck-To-Beat or targeting the DTB, only to find that you've gone sideways and crushed everything with something I'd never thought of. This time was almost that, except that I actually just thought of Isochron Scepter this week. And the plan had been to use it with Geth's Verdict. But I didn't want to fold to Blackmail, so I just played the Blackmail myself. Curses that one of my reserve strategies is gone!

Paralyze does its thing. 6 points

I saw the cloak and panicked when I realized that you could equip the same turn that you cast it, but then I realized that gave up invulnerability to Blackmail. 6 points

OTP, discard the Squire, Paralyze the Cat. On the draw, I can only trade resources. WD, 4 points
    I just noticed that this is exactly the Wasteland deck I have in my gauntlet.

I always have time to Blackmail one of the Poisoners. 6 points

I wondered if I'd face this deck again. I have to Blackmail the Growth and Paralyze the Apprentice. The 2/3 Leafcaller is bigger, but can't attack profitably because of the Lookout's life drain. 2 points
    This is a mismatch, but I think my line makes sense.

Cool! I've had T2 Glistener Elf combo on my list since week 1, but I never felt confident in it. 1-mana non-damage based removal is good here. 6 points
    Looking at the other answers, I see now that dte's gauntlet had exactly the same version as mine.

Same as the Poisoners. 6 points

OTP, I nab the Vial. On the draw, I can't stop you from flashing in the Chewer to block and my sorcery speed removal doesn't help. WD, 4 points
    I was so ready to beat the Unearth with my non-removal removal! This change up has thrown everyone for a loop.

48 points from 14W + 6D

When I decided on "safe" last week, I knew that would mean Swamp + 3 1-mana spells, either using Shrieking Affliction or Blackmail. I went with Affliction because it was a hard win condition to answer and I worried that playing only a 1/1 to attack with would give me too many draws. What I didn't realize was that I could still beat a removal spell by discarding it. Fortunately, it wasn't too late for this concoction.

I've been excited for Paralyze since the start of the Pauper season. I figured I would use it after Snuff Out, but I underestimated Vampire Lacerator and never ended up playing black with removal (except for Fume Spitter which I needed for Bone Picker). I'm surprisingly relieved that it worked out.

6. alphastryk: Our dead LD cards trade. OTP I would win the race by attacking first, so you have to defend/trade. I trade 1 Harrier with a Poisoner. I hold the other and combat-step tap the other Poisoner to cancel your combat, then untap and attack, which lets me get first damage in unblocked. If you attack back, I win the race. If you don't, then I hold and tap out your guy again, repeat. OTD you can prevent this line by always attacking first while my guys are summoning sick, forcing the trade. WD 4-1
    I love this line. It's so sneaky.

I was torn between playing Wasteland or anti-Wasteland this week. I thought there might not be enough LD players for the anti-Waste deck to pay off. Guess it was too much of an obvious choice after last week's meta. My Wasteland deck would have been better if I just played a better 2nd 1 drop instead of trying too hard to be redundant through the Blackmail and Chrono decks, that I thought were "sure things" among the basics decks Wasteland doesn't beat.
    After the banning of Ghost Quarter, I considered playing Wasteland, but I thought it would be dead in half of my matchups which would then be automatic losses. I knew that a few people might play it, so I tried to avoid it losing to it if I could (safe = mono-Swamp), but I had so completely written off trying to play it that I didn't even notice that 7.5 out of 12 decks last round were vulnerable to it. Interestingly, all of the other decks were mono-Swamp decks.

4. Goblismashmaster: OTP I can chew cloack then, viakl butcher in one turn before dying. OTD, i'm one turn late. 3-3 --> 15
    6. Alphastryk: Encroach does nothing. Butcher takes one poison dude, chewer attacks for the win. 6-0 --> 27
    7. H: Butcher will get Thornscape apprentice ftw. 6-0 --> 33
    I don't think you can actually beat Eldrazi on the play. GoblinSmashmaster can just do nothing and wait for you. Once you commit a creature to the board, the 8/9 can block forever.
    Same with the Poisoners. You can't play the Ingot Chewer before the Butcher, so you can't force Alphastryk to cast them.
    The matchup against the green men is close. You can't catch anything with the Butcher, but you can run out a 2/3 and a 3/3. H can't play the tapping game, because your other threat beats a 1/1 while Pendelhaven used for mana. If you attack with just Butcher, H blocks with a 2/3. If you attack with the Chewer, H double blocks, loses one dude, then has a 1/1->2/3 to hold you off. If you attack with both, Butcher gets in once, but the Chewer trades, and your 2/3s stare at each other. I now think this is a draw too.

I just noticed that all three of these opponents listed results that agree with yours. I'm not sure what to think.

Anyone else had a different vial deck up their sleeve?? Which choice of creatures?? Ingot chewer was some kind of meta call because I thought people would show up with chrono or vial on that round :) I happened to blow lots of things, but no vial nor chrono :)
    I love this enthusiasm! I had Vial in my gauntlet, but I didn't plan to play it so I never spent the time finding the best things. I thought Ponyback Brigade looked good for dodging spot removal and figured there was some common creature close enough to Nektrataal, but I couldn't find anything better than Blitz Leech, so I left it at that too. Wrath of Pie played them for a reason.
    Last edited by silkster; 11-13-2020 at 02:57 AM.

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Quote Originally Posted by silkster View Post
    I love this enthusiasm! I had Vial in my gauntlet, but I didn't plan to play it so I never spent the time finding the best things. I thought Ponyback Brigade looked good for dodging spot removal and figured there was some common creature close enough to Nektrataal. I saw Goblin Commando and basically used that to test against, though I don't think I would have played that.
    You had not spotted faceless butcher? that card seems so strong with vial.

You had not spotted faceless butcher? that card seems so strong with vial.
    I looked back at my list and edited my post, so now your post looks made-up, but I definitely did write that first. I know about Butcher, but I didn't look too hard because I figured most decks would either beat the vial itself, go so far over the top that it didn't matter (like Isochron Scepter), or just lose. Oh, you should look at my other edits too, cause I'm worried about your ability to apply pressure in the first place.

I would be sad to see you lose these points, but I would be happy to see Wasteland banned instead of Aether Vial.

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

I don't think you can actually beat Eldrazi on the play. GoblinSmashmaster can just do nothing and wait for you. Once you commit a creature to the board, the 8/9 can block forever.
    Agreed, draw OTP.

Same with the Poisoners. You can't play the Ingot Chewer before the Butcher, so you can't force Alphastryk to cast them.
    Double draw I guess.

The matchup against the green men is close. You can't catch anything with the Butcher, but you can run out a 2/3 and a 3/3. H can't play the tapping game, because your other threat beats a 1/1 while Pendelhaven used for mana. If you attack with just Butcher, H blocks with a 2/3. If you attack with the Chewer, H double blocks, loses one dude, then has a 1/1->2/3 to hold you off. If you attack with both, Butcher gets in once, but the Chewer trades, and your 2/3s stare at each other. I now think this is a draw too.
    argh agreed....
    won't get banned this week :)

The key is that chewer costs more than butcher :(

Quote Originally Posted by Wrath of Pie View Post

3. Reeplcheep: Wasteland, Plains, Sacred Cat, Kitesail DD
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeplcheep View Post
    Round: If LD is best when its not expected, is it expected to be best if it is obviously obvious? 3. Reeplcheep: Wasteland, Plains, Sacred Cat, Kitesail

Wasteland wasteland. Because I tech'd to beat chrono I lose the pseudo mirro. 0-6
    I think Reeplcheep here is right. The Squire makes the Cat attack as a 2/2, and without Kitesail that is insurmountable.

Sep 2011

I think Reeplcheep here is right. The Squire makes the Cat attack as a 2/2, and without Kitesail that is insurmountable.
    Yeah, I agree. Kitesail costs 2 to equip, which makes it a dead card in the Wasteland mirror. 2/2 lifelink > 1/1 lifelink

maxx!: Forest, Glistener Elf, Invigorate, Scale Up

Absolutely can’t beat FoW. 0-6
    You don’t have time for Scepter. OTP I turn 2 you, OTD you have to Verdict turn 2 and then nobody can win. 4-1
    On my second turn I Scale Up before attacking, and you have to block or you die. You can Embalm the Cat, but Lifelink doesn’t help you race and I’ll poison you to death before you kill me. If you ever block, Invigorate kills the second Cat and then I kill you the slow way. 6-0
    OTP your land is too slow so you die before untapping. OTD you can’t race me, but you can block with your Eldrazi and our guys will trade. 4-1
    Similar to Reep, but you have one more body. You have to eventually block me twice, and after that nobody can race because we’ll both just have 1/1s that trade. 2-2
    A deatchtouch guy that’s fast enough to block in time and another threat is something I can’t beat. 0-6
    I can’t believe somebody copied this deck, haha. You have to block on turn 2, so that removes your option to tap me forever and still get attacks in. You can still tap me forever with Lush on your land, though. 2-2
    This is me : ]
    I almost played this exact list. Elf gets hit by either Blackmail or Paralyze. 0-6
    This is very similar to the match against H. You have to block my turn 2 attack, but I can still race you after that so you just tap me forever. 2-2
    Vial is too slow. 6-0

0+4+6+4+2+0+2+0+2+6 = 26

Looks like Berserk would have cost me a win against Reeplcheep and a few draws in some other matches, and I can’t see any games that it would’ve won for me, so I guess Scale Up did its thing. Should’ve just played a normal deck instead of trying to get stylish, though.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Standings for round 7:
    1. silkster: 48 - 4,8
    2. dte: 39 - 3,9
    2. Wrath of Pie: 39 - 3,9
    4. FTW: 30 - 3
    4. Tylert: 30 - 3
    6. Asthereal (TO): 28 - 2,8
    7. maxx!: 26 - 2,6
    8. Reeplcheep: 22 - 2,2
    9. H: 21 - 2,1
    10. alphastryk: 16 - 1,6
    11. GoblinSmashmaster: 8 - 0,8

Which would lead to these bannings:
    Akrasan Squire
    Blackmail
    Geth's Verdict
    Isochron Scepter
    Night Market Lookout
    Paralyze
    Sacred Cat
    Wasteland

And standings for the season look as follows:
    1. silkster: 30,2
    2. dte: 29,4
    3. FTW: 27,2
    4. maxx!: 21,5
    5. Wrath of Pie: 18,1
    6. GoblinSmashmaster: 17,6
    7. Asthereal (TO): 17,1
    8. alphastryk: 15,9
    9. Tylert: 14,8
    10. Reeplcheep: 14,7
    11. H: 14,3
    12. Karshtakavaar: 2,6

So silk takes the lead again, with dte and FTW following close behind. This is shaping up to be a close finish!
    Last edited by Asthereal; 11-14-2020 at 07:10 AM.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

ROUND 8 OF SEASON 8: PEASANT CONTINUED BANNATHON has started.

I have PM'ed myself my deck for round 8, so you can start sending me your decks.

DEADLINE: Wednesday the 18th of November at 11:00AM Central European Time.
    (That's my time zone. Pacific Time it'll probably be something like Tuesday night a bit past midnight, so keep that in mind.)

PLEASE NOTE:
    The way you send your deck to me matters. Please send it in the way described below, so it doesn't cost me an hour of editing before I can post all the decks.
    Please send your deck as follows: Swamp, Swamp, Terror, Black Knight.
    So with card tags around each card, and not above eachother, and with your Username and 4CB S08R08 in the topic.
    Don't forget to keep an eye on the banned list. You'll find it in the second post of the thread, or in our Google Spreadsheet.

After the deadline has passed, I will post all decks on the forum here, and you can start puzzling out your scores.
    If you have any questions, please read the first two posts of this thread first. If you can't find the answer there, drop a message here. We'll answer a.s.a.p.

Also, if you've been lurking on this thread and looking to join, you can step in anytime, any round. That's no problem at all. Just send me your deck before the deadline, and I'll add you to the competition.

Happy deck designing everybody!

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Deadline has passed but I'm missing one of the regulars (and a newer player).
    I'm super busy at work, so I can give you 7 more hours from now.

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Deadline has passed but I'm missing one of the regulars (and a newer player).
    I'm super busy at work, so I can give you 7 more hours from now.
    You have my (crappy) submission?

Thread Information