Page 160 of 332 FirstFirst ... 60110150156157158159160161162163164170210260 ... LastLast
Results 3,181 to 3,200 of 6623

Thread: 4 Card Blind

Re: 4 Card Blind

So... how are we going to resolve the typo of me putting the uncastable deathbloom thallid instead of deathspore thallid? man i wrote it out correctly in my spreadsheet and everything.

Assuming no change, I get 2 points, losing to everything except H.

Feb 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Reeplcheep View Post
    So... how are we going to resolve the typo of me putting the uncastable deathbloom thallid instead of deathspore thallid? man i wrote it out correctly in my spreadsheet and everything.
    For me, I do not see the harm in shifting, it is obviously a typo and it is uncastable. If it was a less good but legit creature it may be different.

Feb 2014

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    11. FTW: Saprazzan Skerry, Force of Will, Phantasmal Terrain, Infiltrator il-Kor

7. GoblinSmashmaster: OTP I can turn your land into a Swamp before you can use it. OTD you can cast Channel first. I make you pay the 8 life and FoW the Eldrazi pitching Terrain. I suspend Infiltrator. You play Legionnaire. Your creature would race... if you didn't start at 10 life. WW
    And if legionnaire is the first play after channel? No force, legionnaire race from 16 life. Force, and eldrazi takes it. So fow channel and enchant land for the draw, 4-1?

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

I thought it was a neat tech with innocent blood in cases where you'd have to play a creature before casting innocent blood to win :)

I don't care.

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

1. Asthereal (TO): Saprazzan Skerry, Force of Will, Infiltrator il-Kor, Infiltrator il-Kor
    The "I copied your deck" mirror. Whoever is on the draw FoWs the first threat to avoid losing the race, forcing a draw. DD

2-2

2. Reeplcheep: Mishra's Factory, Swamp, Deathbloom Thallid, innocent blood
    As submitted, I can FoW Innocent Blood and race Factory with my 3 power threat. WW

If updated to the castable Thallid, I have to Force that threat for many reasons, and I can't beat Innocent Blood + Factory. LL

6-0 or 0-6

3. dte: Plains, Cenn's Tactician, Gideon's Lawkeeper, deftblade elite
    Agree with dte's math, WL

3-3

4. alphastryk: Saprazzan Skerry, Force of Will, Infiltrator il-Kor, Infiltrator il-Kor
    This is me

5. Wrath of Pie: Swamp, Wildfield Borderpost, Tidehollow Sculler, Putrid Leech
    FoW on Borderpost wins it. WW

6-0

6. H: Mountain, Reckless Waif, Forge Devil, Death Spark
    I don't see a way for me to win outright, but I can force a draw by FoWing the Waif and turning it into a staring contest (Forge Devil shoots itself if there is no other option). DD

2-2

7. GoblinSmashmaster: Hickory Woodlot, Channel, Eldrazi Devastator, Porcelain Legionnaire
    If you go for Channel, I let it resolve and FoW the Eldrazi, leaving me ahead on life in the 3/1 race. If you opt to lead with turn 2 Legionnaire instead paying the 2 life, it becomes a pure race as I always need to hold FoW until your life is low enough you can't Channel into the Eldrazi. Your 3/1 would attack on your turn 3, and my 3/1 would attack on my turn 4. Those are the same "kill turn" however because you start at 18 life which is one less attack, but somewhere in there I should always be able to change gears and play a second threat to turn the race farther in my favor. WW

6-0

8. silkster: Forest, Lush Growth, Granger Guildmage, Utopia Mycon
    Don't see a path through here, as I can't beat either Lush Growth or Granger Guildmage + Mycon (for slow red mana), and I can't FoW both. LL

0-6

9. Tylert: Island, Aether vial, Qasali pridemage, Faceless butcher
    FoW on Vial wins it. WW

6-0

10. maxx!: Keldon Megaliths, Gruul Turf, Sparksmith, Tin Street Hooligan
    I don't see a way to win here - I can't interact with Megaliths and it kills all my threats eventually no matter what I do. LL

0-6

11. FTW: Saprazzan Skerry, Force of Will, Phantasmal Terrain, Infiltrator il-Kor
    FoW "mirror". Don't see a way this isn't DD in any permutation.

2-2

Total: 33 or 27

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Ha, everyone can see I hardly thought my list out, I didn't even realize Waif was on uncommon. I'll try to get my analysis written up later today though.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by dte View Post
    And if legionnaire is the first play after channel? No force, legionnaire race from 16 life. Force, and eldrazi takes it. So fow channel and enchant land for the draw, 4-1?
    Good point. I lose that race by 1 life
    Channel Legionnaire / S2
    17 / S1
    14 / 13
    2 / 1
    dead

But if I FoW the Channel pitching Terrain, I can race! Stalling Legionnaire by 1 turn is enough.

Channel eats FoW / S2 (F=19)
    Legionnaire / S1 (G=18)
    16 / 15
    13 / 12
    4 / 3
    1 / 0
    Win!

I think that means he has to lead on Legionnaire first without Channel. I can't race that, so I have to Force it. Then I need to Terrain his land to stop Channel.
    WD 4-1

Quote Originally Posted by Tylert View Post
    I thought it was a neat tech with innocent blood in cases where you'd have to play a creature before casting innocent blood to win :)
    Yeah, I also wondered if it was meant to be tech with Innocent Blood. Deathbloom Thallid is much better than Deathspore Thallid vs Channel Eldrazi, for example. I thought maybe he forgot it was 3cc, or the land was supposed to be a double land like Ancient Tomb, changed to Factory at the last minute forgetting about the mana implications.

This is a weird situation where the typo is another Peasant-viable card with different abilities. In the past it was a functional equivalent (wrong 0cc dork) or just a typo that linked to no card at all, so it made no difference for how the deck operated.

I'm fine with giving him the switch this time. But going forward I wonder what the rule should be. What should we do when the typo is a different, legal Magic card? Oops I typed Chain Lightning but obviously meant Lightning Bolt because it's an instant!

We can all avoid these glitches by just checking the card tags in the message to Asthereal after hitting "send". It takes 5 seconds. I've had to catch myself in a few errors. I've caught typos that linked to no card. I've caught illegal pauper decks with an uncommon (one had Reckless Waif!). Just check your card tags and then resubmit if it came out wrong. Remember to message Asthereal directly (Forward or new message) and do not hit Reply!!

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by alphastryk View Post
    4. alphastryk: Saprazzan Skerry, Force of Will, Infiltrator il-Kor, Infiltrator il-Kor
    This is me

7. GoblinSmashmaster: Hickory Woodlot, Channel, Eldrazi Devastator, Porcelain Legionnaire
    If you go for Channel, I let it resolve and FoW the Eldrazi, leaving me ahead on life in the 3/1 race. If you opt to lead with turn 2 Legionnaire instead paying the 2 life, it becomes a pure race as I always need to hold FoW until your life is low enough you can't Channel into the Eldrazi. Your 3/1 would attack on your turn 3, and my 3/1 would attack on my turn 4. Those are the same "kill turn" however because you start at 18 life which is one less attack, but somewhere in there I should always be able to change gears and play a second threat to turn the race farther in my favor. WW

6-0
    What if he plays Legionnaire first OTP? When do you deploy the 2nd one?

T1 Woodlot / Skerry
    T2 Legionnaire (G=18) / suspend 2
    T3 Attack 17 / suspend 1
    T4 Attack 14 / Attack 15, suspend 2
    T5 Attack 11, Channel Eldrazi (G=7) / Attack 4, suspend 1
    T6 Attack for exactly 11 lethal

Suspending it on turn 4 is too soon as you lose to Channel.

T4 Attack 14 / Attack 15
    T5 Attack 11 / Attack 12, suspend 2
    T6 Attack 8, Channel Eldrazi (G=4) / Attack 1, suspend 1
    T7 Attack lethal

Turn 5 is too soon.

T5 Attack 11 / Attack 12
    T6 Attack 8 / Attack 9, suspend 2
    T7 Attack 5, can't Channel / Attack 6, suspend 1
    T8 Attack 2 / hit for exactly 6

That's close. You just barely have one turn to get there fast enough.

I'm surprised this version does better against Channel. I went for Terrain over the 2nd threat because I thought it would be better against combos lol.

maxx!: Keldon Megaliths, Gruul Turf, Sparksmith, Tin Street Hooligan

1. Asthereal (TO): Saprazzan Skerry, Force of Will, Infiltrator il-Kor, Infiltrator il-Kor
    You can't stop Megaliths. 6-0
    I'll just assume this is Deathspore Thallid for now. My lands are slow, so you have a little time. I'll look at me OTD first.
    R: Swamp
    m: Megaliths
    R: Factory, Thallid
    m: Turf
    R: 1 spore, attack (m=17)
    m: Sparksmith, Megaliths
    Now you have some options, but I don't think any of them win. You can Innocent Blood now and sac your Thallid, but then my Hooligan trades with Factory if you ever attack and I just kill you slowly with Megaliths. You can Innocent Blood and sac Factory instead, but then once Megaliths gets online it kills your Thallid and any Saprolings and eventually you. If you don't play Innocent Blood now, I Sparksmith your Thallid and play Hooligan, and then we're back to the first scenario where Megaliths gets me there while Hooligan waits to block Factory. 6-0
    Deftblade Elite is sick tech. Once Sparksmith is dead, I can't kill CT and I certainly can't race it. 0-6
    Megaliths gets me there every time. 6-0
    You can Sculler before I play any spells, but it's not enough. If you take Sparksmith, Hooligan comes down and shatters Sculler on ETB. If you take Hooligan, Sparksmith and Megaliths combine to kill Sculler. After that, it's Putrid Leech vs my team. From my side, I just attack with Hooligan every turn. If you block, I'm happy to trade, and if you try to activate Leech then I can Smith it in response. If you try to attack back, I can block with Sparksmith, activate Sparksmith, and activate Megaliths to put 4 damage on the Leech. 6-0
    I don't think I can beat this. Waif will always flip, and I can't kill it without one of my Goblins, which both die to your other 2 cards. 0-6
    This deck is solid. I don't even come close here. 0-6
    Granger Guildmage makes this tricky. You can Lush one of my lands to shut off Megaliths, but then you can't activate Guildmage for a long time. Double checking the math there (me OTP):
    s: Forest, Mycon
    m: Turf
    s: Lush, 1 spore
    s: Guildmage, 2 spores
    m: Sparksmith
    s: 3 spores, make R and kill Smith
    You're just fast enough and my lands are just slow enough. And here I thought I was cleverly playing around Lush Growth. Nice deck. 0-6
    OTP Hooligan shatters your Vial before you can do anything with it. OTD you can land Pridemage, but Sparksmith shoots him down. 6-0
    This is me :]
    I couldn't beat the Lush Growth deck, but I can beat the Phantasmal Terrain deck. You can shut off Megaliths, but I can still play both my Goblins. If you FoW Sparksmith, I either kill your il-Kor with Megaliths, or just cast Tin Street and attack you 10 times (depending on what you pitch to FoW). 6-0

6+6+0+6+6+0+0+0+6+6 = 36

Happy to see so many FoW/il-Kor decks and at least one Vial deck. Disappointed that I couldn't beat the Lush Growth deck (Utopia Mycon was not on my radar).

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

That's close. You just barely have one turn to get there fast enough.

I'm surprised this version does better against Channel. I went for Terrain over the 2nd threat because I thought it would be better against combos lol.
    I didn't do the math and didn't realize it was quite that close!

I think the extra threat is only good vs this exact Channel list (which I guess is the most common list), as you need to race an opposing 3 power threat while holding FoW to fend off the Eldrazi. Intuitively, having the land destruction definitely seems like it would work our better against this type of combo though.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

I of course did not have time to check the decks...

Most seem cool with the switch, and so am I.
    Anyone opposed?
    Join the 4 Card Blind competition!

Quote Originally Posted by Asthereal View Post

Anyone opposed?
    Fine with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Asthereal View Post

Anyone opposed?
    No problem here, not like any potential points would do me much good.

Me: silkster: Forest, Lush Growth, Granger Guildmage, Utopia Mycon

In my mind, this is the strongest deck. It shuts down all of the non-sense, and it even beats many 3-spell decks because of its 10-turn clock, which is faster than two 1-mana 1/1's. This is the deck that I warped my deck around beating, the one that I thought FTW was talking about above.
    6 points

I'm sure when I check the other replies that this was supposed to be Deathspore Thallid, a card I almost played this week. As is, I get out of control first. I'll revisit if need be.
    6 points
    I think it's DD WD WW if the change is allowed. Dang, it's complicated. I think it comes down to the fact that the caster of Innocent Blood has to make the choice first.

Cenn's Tactician (along with Chronomaton and Vial) are my accepted weaknesses for beating what I thought of as the top decks.
    0 points

6 points

Putrid Leech is too big too fast. I think this is bad. Maybe you thought my Guildmage taps, but it does 1 damage and has a useless white ability.
    I also thought Force would scare away Borderposts.
    0 points Inconsistency, at the moment. I don't think careful scrutiny will be on my side, but I'm wrong all the time, so here's hoping!

Yikes. Things are not looking good for our hero. I expected more Swamp decks and fewer Mountain decks. I think the instant speed of Death Spark meaning that I need 3 blockers to kill the Waif buys you enough time to win, though I'm not completely sure.
    0 points

Lush Growth putting in work.
    6 points

I figured the strength of Force of Will would sufficiently disincentivize Vial.
    0 points

We both race to turn 4 to activate our pingers. I can get mine active a turn earlier by playing Lush Growth on my own land, but then I lose to the Megaliths. WL
    I thought that I had to Lush the Megaliths, not realizing that I can Lush the Turf to take you off of using Megaliths too.
    6 points

An interesting twist! On my play, I try to cast a creature. If you counter, you get locked out and lose to the other. My turn-2 Lush Growth reduces you to one card, which isn't enough.
    On your play, if I lead on a creature, you let it go then lock me and race. So I lead on Growth, it gets countered and you lock me out for a draw.WD
    4 points

34 points

I figured I'd take one or two Cenn's or Chrono losses, but didn't expect Vial to show up again.

Yeah, I also wondered if it was meant to be tech with Innocent Blood. Deathbloom Thallid is much better than Deathspore Thallid vs Channel Eldrazi, for example. I thought maybe he forgot it was 3cc, or the land was supposed to be a double land like Ancient Tomb, changed to Factory at the last minute forgetting about the mana implications.

This is a weird situation where the typo is another Peasant-viable card with different abilities. In the past it was a functional equivalent (wrong 0cc dork) or just a typo that linked to no card at all, so it made no difference for how the deck operated.
    Except that we didn't allow the change of wrong 0cc dork. But I didn't think that was a great precedent. And I just checked, and it was against Reeplcheep too. That one was rough. I don't think Reeplcheep is gaining anything from these mistakes, so we should change it. The really interesting thing would be if there was a third card called like Deadbloom Thallid, and then someone could argue after the fact about whether they wanted the Deathspore or the Deadbloom. Honestly, I think I'd be more impressed than mad if someone found a way to try that.

e can all avoid these glitches by just checking the card tags in the message to Asthereal after hitting "send". It takes 5 seconds. I've had to catch myself in a few errors. I've caught typos that linked to no card. I've caught illegal pauper decks with an uncommon (one had Reckless Waif!). Just check your card tags and then resubmit if it came out wrong. Remember to message Asthereal directly (Forward or new message) and do not hit Reply!!
    Stupid messaging system. Yeah, I always preview my message and hover over the cards as a final check.

Math against Deathspore Thallid with the Thallid on the play:
    R: MF (playing the swamp gets locked out and loses)
    S: Forest, Granger Guildmage

Casting Innocent Blood will get locked out and Mycon>Factory. Doing nothing gains no ground and will lose to the Mycon, so:
    R: Swamp, Deathspore Thallid
    S: Forest, Utopia Mycon

My game plan is now to Lush Growth my own Forest and shoot the Thallid before it can germinate. Reeplcheep can activate Factory then cast Innocent Blood. But R makes the choice first. If Thallid gets sacked, I sack the Guildmage and Mycon takes over. If Factory gets sacked, I sack the Mycon, will ping the Thallid just in time, and then attack 20 times.
    Last edited by silkster; 11-19-2020 at 07:16 PM.

I thought fow, infect, vial & eldrazi were the decks to beat, so brought hard removal and uncounterable threat. Seems like everyone went from hexproof to extra bodies though :(. Assuming deathspore thallid:

2. Reeplcheep: Mishra's Factory, Swamp, DeathSPORE Thallid, innocent blood

You can't fow workshop factory, and the rest trades. 6-0 for 6/6

3. dte: Plains, Cenn's Tactician (CT), Gideon's Lawkeeper (GL), deftblade elite (DE)
    You trade lawkeeper with blood, deftblade with thallid, & cenn beats workshop factory. 0-6 for 6/12

See above. 6-0. for 12/18

You can't stop thallid, and I eventually kill everything. 6-0. 18/24

You have to commit to the board first because of workshop factory. Devil trades with blood, spark trades with thallid and then the werewolf & the assembly-worker stare at each other.2-2. 20/30

Your extra blocker instead of the protection spells jukes my sac tech. If you let me double block legionnaire or get to three counters I can clear the way for innocent blood.

OTD
    land, land (20/20)
    channel + both dudes, thallid. (8/20)
    attack, counter (8/9)
    attack with just eldrazi, counter (1/20)
    lose

OTP
    land, land (20/20)
    thallid, channel + both dudes. (20/8)
    counter, attack with just eldrazi (8/12)
    counter, attack with just eldrazi (8/4)
    counter, ping, activate workshop using itself, blood, win with the thallid.
    To prevent this, you must attack to trade on t3, [strike]which leaves me with nothing when I blood[strike] but I still have time to wait until t5 to blood and have something left over
    4-1 for 24/36 3-3 for 23-36

I thought vial would discourage lush growth. My pinger kills your guildmage and your token producer if you lush growth me, so you are forced into lush growth-ing yourself. Workshop forces you to commit mycon to the board to be sacc'd, and then granger and workshop trade. 2-2. 26/42

Edit: Your analysis is correct. APNAP strikes again. 0-6. Also what is the strikethrough syntax?

Oof. Quasali being cheaper than butcher means that I can't get my thallid back. Butcher & workshop stare at each other. 2-2. 25/48

Your pinger is active on t4 and mine is active on t5 :(. 0-6. 25/54

Smart variant on the deck. You can't win, but you can answer both my threats. So much for workshop dodging counters. 2-2. 27/60

Interesting round. both FTW,Tylert & Goblinsmasher played variants on the level 0 decks that juked my plans. Respecting infect lost me a lot of points against all the people who were greedy with no t1 interaction.
    28/60 points. Or 2/60 I guess.
    Lots of sloppyness. 27-60
    Last edited by Reeplcheep; 11-20-2020 at 07:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by silkster View Post
    Me: silkster: Forest, Lush Growth, Granger Guildmage, Utopia Mycon

Putrid Leech is too big too fast. I think this is bad. Maybe you thought my Guildmage taps, but it does 1 damage and has a useless white ability.
    I also thought Force would scare away Borderposts.
    0 points Inconsistency, at the moment. I don't think careful scrutiny will be on my side, but I'm wrong all the time, so here's hoping!
    Idiot me missed the "just cast Putrid Leech and not care about Lush Growth" line.

2. Reeplcheep: Mishra's Factory, Swamp, DeathSPORE Thallid, innocent blood

You can't fow workshop, and the rest trades. 6-0 for 6/6

You can't stop thallid, and I eventually kill everything. 6-0. 18/24

I thought vial would discourage lush growth. My pinger kills your guildmage and your token producer if you lush growth me, so you are forced into lush growth-ing yourself. Workshop forces you to commit mycon to the board to be sacc'd, and then granger and workshop trade. 2-2. 26/42

Edit: Your analysis is correct. APNAP strikes again. 0-6. Also what is the strikethrough syntax?

You mean Mishra's Factory not Mishra's Workshop. Careful!

I thought Putrid Leech might be too fast, but I was forgetting that Factory blocks as a 3/3.

It's funny that you thought Vial made Lush Growth unplayable. I thought the real threat was FoW, and FoW makes Vial unplayable.

Strikethrough syntax is just "strike", not "strikethrough". I got there eventually.

Your extra blocker instead of the protection spells jukes my sac tech. If you let me double block legionnaire or get to three counters I can clear the way for innocent blood.

OTD
    land, land (20/20)
    attack, counter (8/9)
    lose

OTP
    land, land (20/20)
    To prevent this, you must attack to trade on t3, which leaves me with nothing when I blood.
    4-1 for 24/36
    Your analysis seems to give you DL for 1 point, but I think you're actually WL. After putting a 1/1 and a 3/3 in front of the Legionnaire, you can either wait for a third counter before casting Innocent Blood (so you'll have a 1/1 left over) or you can cast Innocent Blood while your Factory hides among your lands.

Alternately, you can find the BB Code tags here.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by silkster View Post
    In my mind, this is the strongest deck. It shuts down all of the non-sense, and it even beats many 3-spell decks because of its 10-turn clock, which is faster than two 1-mana 1/1's. This is the deck that I warped my deck around beating, the one that I thought FTW was talking about above.
    Yeah, we were on the same page. When you said you played around the two big answers instead of playing something flashy, I knew you were on an anti-FoW deck and that I would have been better off with my Cenn's Tactician deck instead.

OTD
    land, land (20/20)
    attack, counter (8/9)
    lose

OTP
    land, land (20/20)
    To prevent this, you must attack to trade on t3, which leaves me with nothing when I blood.
    4-1 for 24/36
    You counted this as 4-1, but your analysis says DL which is 1-4.

Silkster has this as 3-3, so let's find out OTP.
    T1 Factory / Woodlot
    T2 Swamp. Thallid / Channel. Legionnaire + Eldrazi [G=8]
    T3 1 spore, pass / Attack with both. Legionnaire gets double blocked, killing 3/3 Factory [R=12]
    T4 2 spore, attack / Attack with Eldrazi [R=4, G=7]
    T5 3 spore. Saproling. Innocent Blood, sacrificing the Saproling and killing Eldrazi.
    Win.

Thread Information