Page 139 of 332 FirstFirst ... 3989129135136137138139140141142143149189239 ... LastLast
Results 2,761 to 2,780 of 6623

Thread: 4 Card Blind

Re: 4 Card Blind

Last edited by Wrath of Pie; 09-02-2020 at 04:18 PM.

Sep 2011

6. FTW: Swamp, Mistvein Borderpost, Sinkhole, Esper Stormblade

Trolling land destruction while playing land destruction!

1. Asthereal (TO): OTP I play Borderpost. If you hold Mountain until I play my guy, you can Bolt it before I Sinkhole you and we draw. You could also T1 Crack to draw. OTD you can play Jackal and Crack my Borderpost to win. DL 1-4
    2. Reeplcheep: Borderpost tech dodges the Mana Skimmer lock, so you have to trade with my Stormblade. DD 2-2
    3. Wrath of Pie: T2 Sinkhole on Sanctuary wins OTP and OTD. WW 6-0
    4. GoblinSmashmaster: Even OTD, T2 Sinkhole prevents Spinal Graft and Stormblade races Silhana. WW 6-0
    5. dte: OTP T2 Sinkhole on Cliffs stops your deck. OTD you can play out Bauble first to protect against Sinkhole and then Bolt my guy. But if I just do nothing then can't use Bauble to return Stream without leaving yourself open to Sinkhole, so you can't win either. WD 4-1
    7. H: You can hold back your land to Bolt me, before I Sinkhole you back. DD 2-2
    8. alphastryk: T2 Sinkhole on Sanctuary wins OTP and OTD. WW 6-0
    9. maxx!: OTP you Raven's Crime once, hitting Sinkhole. T2 3/2 flying races your 3/2 rat. OTD you double Raven's Crime me. WL 3-3
    10. silkster: Borderpost tech dodges Reef Shaman shenangians, but Wind Zendikon + Essence Flare gives you a lot of ways to thwart my flyer.
    OTP I play Borderpost. If you play Reef Shaman, I Sinkhole you to draw. To avoid the draw, you can play Wind Zendikon instead. I Sinkhole it, but you get your land back and play Shaman. I play Stormblade. You Essence Flare it and we still draw.
    OTD you play Shaman first, then I play Borderpost. You still need to cast Wind Zendikon to ever have a clock, and I can just wait and Sinkhole you.
    DD 2-2
    11. Tylert: OTP you get 1 creature (Squire or Cat) before I Sinkhole lock you, and my 3/2 flyer races. OTD you get Squire + Cat. 3/2 flying can't race 2/2 lifelink, so I trade with the Cat and Squire kills me. WL 3-3

35 points (9 wins, 8 draws, 3 losses)
    Last edited by FTW; 09-02-2020 at 08:18 PM.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Wrath of Pie View Post
    You need all 4 cards to assemble your combo, so how do you win against Raven's Crime? If you discard Presence of Gond and play out the Guard, the 3/2 regenerating rats will race you. Double Crime makes it even worse.
    Last edited by FTW; 09-02-2020 at 04:27 PM.

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

Quote Originally Posted by Asthereal View Post
    You did, but that one was illegal, which I only just caught a second after posting, so I reverted back to your first deck to make sure you have a score.

I won't say what it was openly, so you can adjust it and use it next round.
    Got it, thanks for the clarification!

GraftedLedgemaster Results for Round "more LD"

1. Asthereal (TO): Mountain, Jackal Pup, Lightning Bolt, Crack the Earth
    Silhana smash! 4-1

2. Reeplcheep: Swamp, Kobolds of Kher Keep, Mana Skimmer, Culling the Weak
    LD 0-6

3. Wrath of Pie: Khalni Garden, Selesnya Sanctuary, Midnight Guard, Presence of Gond
    Grafted Guardmaster 0-6

4. GoblinSmashmaster: Khalni Garden, Swamp, Silhana Ledgewalker, Spinal Graft
    That's me!

5. dte: Swiftwater Cliffs, Conjurer's Bauble, Stream of Thought, Lightning Bolt
    Silhana smash! 6-0

LD 0-6

7. H: Mountain, Ghitu Lavarunner, Forked Bolt, Lightning Bolt
    Silhana smash! 6-0

8. alphastryk: Khalni Garden, Selesnya Sanctuary, Qasali Pridemage, Selesnya Evangel
    Pridemage crash 0-6

9. maxx!: Swamp, Rakdos Carnarium, Raven's Crime, Gobhobbler Rats
    Discard 1-4

10. silkster: Island, Reef Shaman, Essence Flare, Wind Zendikon
    LD 0-6

11. Tylert: Plains, Akrasan squire, Akrasan squire, Sacred cat
    Silhana block 2-2

Total: 19 points
    Last edited by GoblinSmashmaster; 09-02-2020 at 07:26 PM.

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

DECKS FOR ROUND 10 OF SEASON 7: Pauper Bannathon

OTP You can Crack the Earth to force a draw, OTD you can play your threat then Crack the Earth before I do anything meaningful. DL

1-4

I don't see how I can ever beat Mana Skimmer. LL

0-6

3. Wrath of Pie: Khalni Garden, Selesnya Sanctuary, Midnight Guard, Presence of Gond
    Nice infinite combo - didn't know one existed. Fortunately for me, Pridemage breaks it up. WW

6-0

Pridemage takes care of Spinal Graft and I take over with tokens. WW

6-0

Now this is a deck! I think long term your slow but endless stream of Bolts always handles all my threats. LL

0-6

Can't beat Sinkhole. LL

0-6

I don't see a way where your 2 Bolts don't kill off both of my threats. LL

0-6

8. alphastryk: Khalni Garden, Selesnya Sanctuary, Qasali Pridemage, Selesnya Evangel
    This is me

Surprised it took us this long to get to Raven's crime - seems like another really obvious double discard deck.

OTP: I lead with Garden, you Crime me and I pitch pridemage. I play my bounce land, and can discard Garden to the 2nd Crime. Evangel goes wide to beat the Rats. W
    OTD: You lead on Crime, I pitch pridemage. Then I play Garden, but am forced to discard another card that I need and am unable to produce a threat. L

3-3

Don't see how I can ever beat Reef Shaman. That card definitely seems like it should have come up earlier since its very versatile land hate. I guess its not a threat though. LL

0-6

I think this will always get to a state where I can chump with a token each turn and attack back for 3 with Pridemage. If you instead don't attack, I go wide with tokens. WW

6-0

Total: 22 points

I'm still writing up my calculations, but I'm seeing a few people misunderstand what my deck is supposed to do so I wanted to clarify. My typical line is turn 1 Swamp, Raven's Crime, then turn 2 float B, play Rakdos Carnarium, retrace Raven's Crime (discarding Swamp). Then to play the Rats off the lone Carnarium on turn 3. Double Crime shouldn't (usually) lock me out of playing my threat.

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    You need all 4 cards to assemble your combo, so how do you win against Raven's Crime? If you discard Presence of Gond and play out the Guard, the 3/2 regenerating rats will race you (and if it didn't he could Retrace for double discard to draw you).
    Oh Presence of Gond costs three mana, not two, that means I lose because I can never cast Presence on a Plant token.

Alternately, Crime cast on turn 2 does it.

Round 10: Land Destruction pt4: Resurrections

I can't beat bolt 0-6.

Me, submitting a legal deck this time.

Your Sanctuary never untaps. 6-0

Per above 6-0

Cool combo! OTP your land never untaps, OTD you kill my dude. 3-3
    EDIT: See below, since bolt is also your clock there is a 2 turn window (assuming you are unlucky) where your shields are down. In that window that I can lock you down and win so you need to hold up bolt for the draw. 4-1

Borderpost tech dodges the Mana Skimmer lock, so you have to trade with my Stormblade.
    I disagree FTW, OTP you can never pay the 1 for the borderpost alt cost. OTD you have time to hide the land in your hand while waiting for the boderpost to untap 4-1.

Edit, He can play swamp and save in hand immediately. 2-2

Removal 0-6

Your sanctuary is never untapped 6-0

OTP your carnarium never untaps, OTD rats beats kobolds. 3-3

Removal 0-6

OTP I win the race vs 1 creature, OTD I lose the race vs 2 creatures. 3-3

Edit 9 W 3 D 8 L for 30, much better than last time.
    Last edited by Reeplcheep; 09-04-2020 at 09:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeplcheep View Post

I disagree FTW, OTP you can never pay the 1 for the borderpost alt cost. 4-1.
    He can wait to play his land.

Or it could not be a legal target (he can bounce the basic land he uses to pay the 1 mana portion of the alternate cost.)

You are correct, ill fix it.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Reeplcheep View Post

I disagree FTW, OTP you can never pay the 1 for the borderpost alt cost. OTD you have time to hide the land in your hand while waiting for the boderpost to untap 4-1.

Edit, He can play swamp and save in hand immediately. 2-2
    Hmm, I don't understand the point of confusion. I don't have to save anything or wait. I can't have lands in play on your main phase (no targets) until I play my 2 drop.

This is my normal sequence against a Goldfish without playing around anything:
    T1 - Swamp. Borderpost (Swamp goes to hand). I have to play Borderpost T1 because it enters tapped, and I can't replay Swamp.
    T2 - Swamp. Flyer.

There are no legal targets until after I hit 2 mana and play my threat. The same applies to all other land destruction (Lush Growth, Sea's Claim, Raze, Sinkhole, Tidal Warrior).

maxx!: Swamp, Rakdos Carnarium, Raven's Crime, Gobhobbler Rats

OTP I can play Crime, then if you play Jackal Pup on your turn I get to retrace Crime after bouncing my Swamp. This is a losing line for you, since you'd have to discard both Bolt and Crack. Instead, you could Crack on your turn 1, or play nothing and just hold onto Crack (or Bolt I guess) to force the draw. OTD you can play Pup and Crack before I can retrace Raven's Crime, so I lose that one. 1-4

OTP I make you discard a card and you need all 4 to do anything at all. OTD I never get to untap my Carnarium and lose. 3-3

I can always cast Raven's Crime twice before you can cast a spell, so you can't ever cast anything. 6-0

OTP I make you discard 2 so you can't do anything. OTD you can discard Ledgewalker and make a 3/4 plant token. You can attack first, but I can block and regenerate forever, so we draw. 4-1

This deck is amazing. Discard doesn't do much, but your loop takes long enough that I can race you, and you can't use Bolt to kill my Rats due to regeneration. OTD dte can force a draw by recurring Bolt before I can untap both of my black sources. 4-1

OTP I get 2 of your cards and you can't do anything. OTD you can keep Stormblade and race me in the air. 3-3

This one is weird and at a glance I think it's gonna be draws. I'll start with me OTP.

OTP
    If you play Lavarunner turn 1, you lose both your removal spells and can't race my Rats. Alternatively, you could hold Lavarunner and just pass back to me. In that case, I can just play Carnarium without retracing Crime. You still can't play Lavarunner because I could retrace on my turn 3 to get your Lightning Bolt, then race your 2/2, so you pass again. Now I can play Swamp before Rats to ensure I can regenerate through Bolt. I don't think you have a way to win if I'm OTP, so you can play for a draw. You discard Lavarunner to my first Raven's Crime, then if I retrace you still have a removal spell to kill my Rats while I'm tapped out, or if I don't retrace you can EOT Lightning Bolt, then Forked Bolt on your own turn. Forcing a draw seems like your best line when I'm OTP

OTD
    This seems really similar, with the difference being that you can play your threat earlier and Lightning Bolt my face if you want. But the bottom line is that I can always Crime twice before I play my Rats if I want, and that results either in my Rats dying to a removal spell that you kept, or (if racing works out for you since you have a headstart and can dome me with a spell) staring at a Lavarunner. So if the race is profitable for you, I can force a draw, and if it isn't, you can take the same lines as you do when I'm OTP to force a draw. 2-2

OTP I get you to discard 2 cards, leaving you with Garden and 1 other card, which isn't enough to do anything. OTD you can hold Garden for my second Crime, and still have Evangel + Plant, which is too wide for me to beat. 3-3

This is me : ]

Yikes. When I'm OTP I can force you to discard 2 cards before your Reef Shaman gets online, which leads to a draw. If instead you lead with Zendikon, I can play my Rats on turn 3 and just barely race you (I'm at 18 when I play Rats, you attack me to 16, then you need 8 more attacks but I only need 7). Or you could just sandbag your removal because it kills my threat through regen, but that's another draw. OTD I don't think I can beat the Shaman at all. I get to play Raven's Crime once to get Essence Flare, but you get your Zendikon down and you can lock me out of red mana now. 1-4

I assume you'll always discard the Cat first, and when I'm OTP you also discard a Squire, but either way you'll end up with a Lifelink token and one or two exalted guys. I can't race a 2/2 lifelink, but I can block and kill a 2/2 or 3/3 and regenerate, so we draw no matter what. 2-2

1+3+6+4+4+3+2+3+1+2 = 29

edit: Disagreements with Asthereal and GoblinSmashmaster. Let me know how this looks.
    Last edited by maxx!; 09-02-2020 at 09:41 PM.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by GoblinSmashmaster View Post
    GraftedLedgemaster Results for Round "more LD"

That's me!

Discard 0-6

LD 0-6
    Against maxx! OTP you can discard Ledgewalker and Graft the 0/1 Plant. All he can do is infinitely chump your 3/4 to draw.

Against Silkster, Reef Shaman stops you from Grafting the Ledgewalker, but you can always Graft the 0/1 Plant to make it 3/4 and attack. Essence Flare would make it 5/4, which threatens to kill him faster than Flare can kill it. He's forced to block with Zendikon (to draw) or Shaman (to break the mana lock, letting Ledgewalker get in for the last damage).
    Edit: Nevermind. The Grafted plant dies to targeting.

Edit 2: Against Wrath of Pie, there's a hilarious line where you can Graft his creature to prevent him from ever enchanting it with Presence of Gond! Unfortunately he can just beat you down with it.

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post

5. dte: OTP T2 Sinkhole on Cliffs stops your deck. OTD you can play out Bauble first to protect against Sinkhole, then eventually Bolt my Stormblade and Bolt me to death. Nice deck. WL 3-3
    What happens if you just never play Sinkhole or Stormblade? dte can Bolt you once, then use Stream of Thought once to get the Bolt back, but doesn't the loop stop there? dte would have to crack Bauble to do any more than that, and if Bauble is ever not in play, you can Sinkhole. Stream of Thought is a sorcery too, so there's no way to recur Bauble and play it before you get a chance to kill the land. Draw?

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by maxx! View Post

What happens if you just never play Sinkhole or Stormblade? dte can Bolt you once, then use Stream of Thought once to get the Bolt back, but doesn't the loop stop there? dte would have to crack Bauble to do any more than that, and if Bauble is ever not in play, you can Sinkhole. Stream of Thought is a sorcery too, so there's no way to recur Bauble and play it before you get a chance to kill the land. Draw?
    When I'm OTP I can Sinkhole before any spells are cast and easily win.

Do you mean when I'm OTD? Good point. I thought Bauble protected against Sinkhole. But if dte saves Bauble, he can't recur Stream of Thought to loop Bolt. If he tries to loop Stream of Thought and Bauble, I have a window to Sinkhole the land. So we draw.

WD 4-1

Yeah I meant OTD.

Also this has me thinking that there might be a window for dte to double Bolt my Rats before I untap my bounceland. Need to revisit that. Seems possible. Will check on that when I have a few more minutes.

edit:

If dte can get a Bauble in play with Bolt in hand and an untapped land before I play Rats, they can Bolt EOT, recur it, then Bolt again before I can untap my lands.

OTP
    m: Swamp, Crime (discard Stream)
    d: Cliffs
    m: Carnarium
    d: Bauble
    m: Swamp, Rats
    dte’s land is tapped from playing Bauble, so Bolt EOT isn’t an option. I have a Swamp up for main phase Bolt, and after I untap I’ll be able to regen twice per turn cycle. Still a win for me.

OTD
    d: Cliffs
    m: Swamp, Crime (discard Stream)
    d: Bauble
    m: Carnarium
    d: pass
    Now if I play Rats, dte can Bolt once on my turn, then recur with Bauble and Bolt again on their turn. This destroys their loop, but don’t think I can play around it. Double Crime never works because even if it slows dte down, it opens up double Bolt later. I don’t think there’s a way for dte to kill Rats and keep enough cards available to loop and kill me, so forcing the draw looks like the best line to me.

4-1. Updating my results
    Last edited by maxx!; 09-02-2020 at 09:39 PM.

Me: silkster: Island, Reef Shaman, Essence Flare, Wind Zendikon

You have removal. I have removal. No one can win. DD, 2 points

Removal coming in hot. WW, 6 points

I had wondered whether Presence of Gond was playable, but I somehow never drew up what the deck would look like. In any case, it does not do well against land hate. WW, 6 points

I considered Gladecover Scout + Spinal Graft earlier, but I didn't think to use the Ledgewalker. Ledgewalker feels better, but unfortunately in costs you in this match, since you have to expose the Swamp, so my 2/2 races your 1/1. WW, 6 points

Wow. I had Stream of Thought on my cards-to-watch but never looked at it with Lightning Bolt. I'm not sure why. And I was just looking at Conjurer's Bauble, but wouldn't have thought to combine them.This feels better than double Stream of Thought, but is it? I suppose the Bauble means that you can kill a 6/6 to get a draw if you need to. (Don't have RR for double bolt.) In any case, it wrecks my face. Man, you're killin' it. 0 points

If only Reef Shaman had power! Borderpost protects your Swamp so you can Sinkhole and nothing moves forward. DD, 2 points

Another removal mirror. DD, 2 points

Land hate protects me from the white cards. WW, 6 points

On my play, Shaman -> Crime (Flare) -> Zendikon, and I can keep you off of Rats.
    On the draw, you can make me discard 2 cards. Zendikon kills on turn 11, but Rats kill on turn 10, so I keep the Flare to draw. WD, 4 points
    It wasn't until I was checking the details of going second that I noticed the float B for turn 2 discard. That's really nice. Then I looked at other scores and noticed the discrepancies. I'm not surprised. It's subtle.
    If I had found this deck either last week or this week, I think I would have played it.

On the play, I can keep you to one creature and kill it.
    On the draw, you can play 2 Squires, I can kill one, but you're ahead in the race, so I have to trade. Playing the Cat is no better cause I can still kill it or block it. WD, 4 points

38 points. Especially good considering the number of draws, cause the average score will be lower than 3.

There's a deck I've been following since about week 2, and after missing out on 44 points for it last round, I decided this was the week. After typing up my submission, I double checked legality and noticed that I had misremembered one of the card's stats. It turned out it would have only been 21 points the previous round. Maybe it'll be playable in round 12, but it suddenly seemed quite bad. So with the clock running down, I looked at a winning deck from the previous round and made the necessary substitutions. I knew Reef Shaman over Tidal Warrior would turn a win into a draw somewhere, but I hoped I might make up for it by ruining a blue deck.

This worked out much better than when I followed Shamble Back plus discard with Vile Rebirth plus discard, or when I followed Evil Presence + Vendetta + Vampire Lacerator with the equivalent blue cards.

Quote Originally Posted by alphastryk View Post
    This is me

I think this will always get to a state where I can chump with a token each turn and attack back for 3 with Pridemage. If you instead don't attack, I go wide with tokens. WW

6-0
    Attacking back for 3 isn't good enough because the Cat has lifelink. You make T3 Evangel, then T4 Pridemage and token. You're only under pressure of 3 damage per turn, so your strategy needs to be to take hits. You have 2 plant chump blocks, and you can present 3 power on T4, T7, and T10. On the draw, you can block on T2 and T3, trade on T4, then take Cat hits on turns 5 and 6, then take Squire hits on turns 8 and 9, but you still have wiggle room, so still WW.

maxx!: Swamp, Rakdos Carnarium, Raven's Crime, Gobhobbler Rats

This deck is amazing. Discard doesn't do much, but your loop takes long enough that I can race you, and you can't use Bolt to kill my Rats due to regeneration. OTD dte can force a draw by recurring Bolt before I can untap both of my black sources. 4-1
    Good chance I'm misunderstanding this, but I think this is DD for the same reason you can't beat Forked Bolt + Lightning Bolt. Stream of Thought gets discarded (like Lavarunner), then you can Crime to hit the Bauble, otherwise the Bauble gets played, and dte will be able to double bolt when the rats come down. Edit: Yeah, the tapland is too slow. It feels crazy, but there it is.
    Last edited by silkster; 09-04-2020 at 01:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by silkster View Post
    Good chance I'm misunderstanding this, but I think this is DD for the same reason you can't beat Forked Bolt + Lightning Bolt. Stream of Thought gets discarded (like Lavarunner), then you can Crime to hit the Bauble, otherwise the Bauble gets played, and dte will be able to double bolt when the rats come down.
    I think the UR land coming into play tapped slows down dte enough when I go first.
    me: Crime (discard Stream)
    dte: tapland
    me: bounceland
    dte: Bauble
    me: Swamp, Rats
    Now I have an untappped Swamp, and dte’s land is currently tapped from playing the Bauble. dte can’t Bolt during my turn, and can only Bolt once before my next turn, which I can regenerate through. After I untap, I have 2 black sources and can always live through 2 Bolts. If dte doesn’t play Bauble on turn 2, then they can Bolt on my turn, but there’s no way to recur it and play it again before my next turn.

edit: Also, I really appreciate the kind words about my submissions this week and last week, silkster. You’ve been bringing the heat lately too. I’m not sure if any of us will catch FTW, but it’s gonna be a close race for second.

And FTW just has phenomenal skill at timing the meta. It’s unreal. This is like the 4th week that I’ve considered a deck, gone with something else that I think will beat the field I’m expecting, only to see FTW finish higher than me with the exact deck that I passed on.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

I'm still writing up my calculations, but I'm seeing a few people misunderstand what my deck is supposed to do so I wanted to clarify. My typical line is turn 1 Swamp, Raven's Crime, then turn 2 float B, play Rakdos Carnarium, retrace Raven's Crime (discarding Swamp). Then to play the Rats off the lone Carnarium on turn 3. Double Crime shouldn't (usually) lock me out of playing my threat.
    This is a good point. I hadn't considered that. I'll redo my calcs.

EDIT: Yeah, looks like we draw twice instead.
    Join the 4 Card Blind competition!

Thread Information