Page 140 of 332 FirstFirst ... 4090130136137138139140141142143144150190240 ... LastLast
Results 2,781 to 2,800 of 6623

Thread: 4 Card Blind

Re: 4 Card Blind

Quote Originally Posted by maxx! View Post
    And FTW just has phenomenal skill at timing the meta. It’s unreal. This is like the 4th week that I’ve considered a deck, gone with something else that I think will beat the field I’m expecting, only to see FTW finish higher than me with the exact deck that I passed on.
    Don't I know it! The decks I played in rounds 3 and 5 to 1.8 and 2.1 round points, FTW played them back in rounds 5 and 6 to 4 and 4.2 round points. (My Scythe Tigers and my Mana Chains.)

Zendikar Rising looks to be one of the more relevant sets for CB, turns out a new 2-mana LD spell and a green Chronomaton make the cut.

Won't dig me out of eighth place though.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

H: Mountain, Ghitu Lavarunner, Forked Bolt, Lightning Bolt

1. Asthereal (TO): Mountain, Jackal Pup, Lightning Bolt, Crack the Earth
    We both have removals. 2-2

2. Reeplcheep: Swamp, Kobolds of Kher Keep, Mana Skimmer, Culling the Weak
    I have removal. 6-0

3. Wrath of Pie: Khalni Garden, Selesnya Sanctuary, Midnight Guard, Presence of Gond
    Lightning Bolt is good here. 6-0

4. GoblinSmashmaster: Khalni Garden, Swamp, Silhana Ledgewalker, Spinal Graft
    Spinal Graft! What a great old card, used to use that in an old Shadow deck in ancient times. I also can't beat the Ledgewalker. 0-6

5. dte: Swiftwater Cliffs, Conjurer's Bauble, Stream of Thought, Lightning Bolt
    Pretty sure I can't beat this sort of recursion. 0-6

6. FTW: Swamp, Mistvein Borderpost, Sinkhole, Esper Stormblade
    I forgot about Sinkhole...I have to just hold all my cards for the draw. 2-2

7. H: Bye, myself.

8. alphastryk: Khalni Garden, Selesnya Sanctuary, Qasali Pridemage, Selesnya Evangel
    I have two removal spells. 6-0

9. maxx!: Swamp, Rakdos Carnarium, Raven's Crime, Gobhobbler Rats
    Yeah, I had a hunch this would end up as draws and maxx! did the write up below. 2-2

10. silkster: Island, Reef Shaman, Essence Flare, Wind Zendikon
    We both have the removal to draw. 2-2

11. Tylert: Plains, Akrasan squire, Akrasan squire, Sacred cat
    I think I should win this, because I can hit both Squires with removal and the single Cat can't race?

Actually, maybe this is a draw, if Tyler leads on Cat?

H T1: Mountain, Lavarunner.
    Tyler T1: Plains, Cat.

H T2: I can't race. But Tyler can't play a Squire because I would Forked Bolt both, then Bolt the second Squire. So I think we maybe just draw both of these. 2-2

So, maybe 28?
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

Point of clarification - are Zendikar Rising spoilers legal now? Or do we need to wait for the set to officially come out.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by alphastryk View Post
    Point of clarification - are Zendikar Rising spoilers legal now? Or do we need to wait for the set to officially come out.
    I'm pretty sure we wait for the set to be officially released in paper.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Quote Originally Posted by Asthereal View Post

You start with the Cat again. If I Bolt it, you Embalm it. If I Crack, you sac the Cat to Crack. Four threats is too much for this deck still. 0-6
    OTP, can't you still bolt at end of turn and then crack for a draw??

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Quote Originally Posted by Wrath of Pie View Post
    I see a double draw here.

Sx is when you make a token and x is the number of tokens you have:

You can at least produce a 1/1 to block my 3/3 lifelink every turn. Let's see if you can do better below:
    OTP: T1 = squire. Garden.
    T2 = Squire, att Y17 M20. sanctuary.
    T3 = Cat, att Y14 M20. Garden.
    T4 = att, Y11 M23. presence.
    T5 = att, Y8 M27, S1. guard.
    T6 = att, You trade guard vs my cat Y8 M30 S1, I make a cat. Nothing.
    T7 = att, Y5 M33 S2. Nothing.
    T8 = att, S3 kill cat Y5 M36. Nothing.
    T9 = att, Y2 M36 S1. nothing.
    T10 = att, You have to chump with garden token 1 S2. Nothing.
    T11 = att, S3 you kill squire 1. Nothing.
    T12 = att, You have to chump with token infinitely for the draw.
    OTD: T1 = Garden, squire.
    T2 = Sanctuary. Squire, att Y17 M20
    T3 = garden. Cat, att Y14 M20.
    T4 = Presence of gond. Att Y11 M23.
    T5 = Guard. Att, S1 You trade with guard and a token Y11 M27, I replay cat.
    T6 = Nothing. Att, Y8 M30 S1.
    T7 = Nothing. Att, Y5 M33 S2.
    T8 = Nothing. Att, S3 you trade with cat Y5 M36.
    T9 = Nothing. Att, Y2 M36, S1.
    T10 = Nothing. Att, you chump with garden token S2.
    T11 = Nothing. Att, S3 You trade with squire 1.
    T12 = Nothing. Att, S1 you chump indefinitely for the draw.
    Double draw

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Quote Originally Posted by alphastryk View Post

I think this will always get to a state where I can chump with a token each turn and attack back for 3 with Pridemage. If you instead don't attack, I go wide with tokens. WW
    If you attack with pridmage only it's a draw because I have a 3/3 lifelinker to attack back. However you still win because you can produce 3 1/1 before having to start chumping the cat once and another time so WW for you. (See my analysis later below)

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

3. Wrath of Pie: Khalni Garden, Selesnya Sanctuary, Midnight Guard, Presence of Gond
    7. H: Mountain, Ghitu Lavarunner, Forked Bolt, Lightning Bolt
    8. alphastryk: Khalni Garden, Selesnya Sanctuary, Qasali Pridemage, Selesnya Evangel

1. Asthereal: 3 interactions for my 4 bodies. OTP I allways have a threat to sac to crack the earth. OTD, You can bolt my threat EOT and the crack the earth for the draw. 4-1 --> 4
    2. Reeplcheep: OTP, I have sacred cat and a squire to race skimmer, if you block I have two squires left for the win. OTD, You lock down my land after I play Cat and have the first damage in so you win. 3-3 --> 7
    3. Wrath of Pie: Can't kill you before you combo out. 0-6 --> 7
    4. GoblinSmashmaster: Your 4/4 can't race my 3/3 lifelinker, so we stare at each other indefinitely. 2-2 --> 9
    5. dte:
    OTP T1 = squire. Cliffs (Y21 M20).
    T2 = Squire, attack Y18 M20. kill squire.
    T3 = Cat, att, Y16 M20. Play stream of thought to have bolt on top.
    T4 = Att, Y14 M22. play bauble, Crack bauble to get bolt and put stream of thought at the bottom of your library
    T5 = Att, Y12 M24. Draw stream, Bolt the squire.
    T6 = Att, Y11, M25. Play stream of thought to have bolt on top.
    T7 = Att, Y10, M26. Play bauble, Crack bauble to get bolt and put stream of thought at the bottom of your library
    T8 = Att, Y9, M27. Draw stream, Bolt cat.
    T9 = Replay Cat. Play stream of thought to have bolt on top.
    T10 = Att, Y8 M26. Play bauble, Crack bauble to get bolt and put stream of thought at the bottom of your library
    T11 = Att, Y7 M27. Draw stream, Bolt cat. You win.
    OTD, I should be slower so you win also. 0-6 --> 9
    6. FTW: OTP: I can play Cat and a squire before you play sinkhole. I'll attack with a 2/2 lifelinker that comes back into your 3/2 and Win. OTD, I only have a cat or a squire. Both can't race a 3/2 so you win. 3-3 --> 12
    7. H: I only play cat first. It races lavamancer alone as you can't use both removals on him (You'll loose then to my 3/3 squire). So it's a standoff. 2-2 --> 14
    8. Alphastryk: Why Ain't this deck banned yet? :) strange...
    OTP: T1 = Squire. Garden.
    T2 = squire Att Y17 M20. Sanctuary.
    T3 = Cat, Att Y14 M20. garden.
    T4 = Att Y11 M23. Evangel.
    T5 = Att Y8 M26. pridemage.
    T6 = Att, if you block with a new token, it's a draw so let's assume you don't, Y5 M29 S1. Att Y5 M26.
    T7 = Att, You 2 M29 S2. Att Y2 M25.
    T8 = Att, There you have to block so you make a token, You 2 M28. Att You 2 M24.
    I loose this race. I can't stay on defense so you win.
    OTD I should be slower. 0-6 --> 14
    9. Maxx!: I'll allways play a squire first and discard cat to your raven's crime. OTP, i'll have a 3/3 lifelinker, OTD a 2/2 lifelinker they both race a 3/2 rat. So it's a standoff. 2/2 --> 16
    10. Silkster: OTD I can't win because althoug my 1/1 lifelinker could race your 2/2 by doing the first damage, you can at some point in time cast essence flare on it and I can't get it back. OTP: I can play both squires and attack first with a 3/3 that races your 2/2. If you kill a squire, I still have a 2/2 attacker that races your 2/2 because i've done the first damage. you can trade to make it a draw because you can lock my land but still can't attack because i have a cat in hand. 1-4 --> 17
    11. Me.

Total 17.
    Last edited by Tylert; 09-04-2020 at 01:24 AM.

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

Quote Originally Posted by Tylert View Post
    If you attack with pridmage only it's a draw because I have a 3/3 lifelinker to attack back. However you still win because you can produce 3 1/1 before having to start chumping the cat once and another time so WW for you. (See my analysis later below)
    Yeah I somehow forgot lifelink when I mentally shortcutted that one. Making tokens constantly does turn out to be enough to trade for the Cat twice though.

Quote Originally Posted by Asthereal View Post
    EDIT: this plan (I discard Bolt to the Crime. T1 I play Pup, then I Crack the Carnarium as soon as you play it.) doesn't work as maxx! explained - he floats B on turn 2, then plays Carnarium and retraces Crime afterwards. In the line I wanted to play, I would lose Crack and we would draw because maxx! can't attack and if he keeps back the Rats neither can I (regeneration). But I could also just discard both Pup and CRack and Bolt the Rats before he can regenerate. Suddenly all lines draw. So I guess it's a 2-2.
    You should still be able to get a win OTP by playing Pup, letting me Crime your Bolt, then Cracking my Swamp. So 4-1 for you

3. Wrath of Pie: You can at least produce a 1/1 to block my 3/3 lifelink every turn. Let's see if you can do better below:
    Once Wrath of Pie makes a single token, the Guard untaps and Wrath or Pie proceeds to make a billion tokens.

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    I'm pretty sure we wait for the set to be officially released in paper.
    Release seems to be September 25, which is after this season finishes (round 11 on September 9, round 12 on September 16). In fact, we'll be playing one round of Peasant Banathon before it's release, though I don't think it would have figured into round 1 anyway.
    Last edited by silkster; 09-04-2020 at 04:00 AM.

Sep 2011

3. Wrath of Pie: You can at least produce a 1/1 to block my 3/3 lifelink every turn. Let's see if you can do better below:
    Infinity is enough tokens. He makes infinite tokens on turn 5. You need to either kill his Guard or goldfish faster through 2 0/1 plants. I think he beats all decks without removal or mana denial.

Midnight Guard + Presence of Gond

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Quote Originally Posted by silkster View Post
    Once Wrath of Pie makes a single token, the Guard untaps and Wrath or Pie proceeds to make a billion tokens.
    Ah.... Forgot about that :)

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

You should still be able to get a win OTP by playing Pup, letting me Crime your Bolt, then Cracking my Swamp. So 4-1 for you
    True. Missed that line. I'll edit my results.

OTP, can't you still bolt at end of turn and then crack for a draw??
    Yup, forgot about that line. I'll edit my results for this one too.
    Join the 4 Card Blind competition!

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Preliminary scores for round 10:
    1. silkster: 38 - 3,8
    2. FTW: 35 - 3,5
    3. Asthereal (TO): 32 - 3,2
    4. dte: 30 - 3,0
    4. Reeplcheep: 30 - 3,0
    6. maxx!: 29 - 2,9
    7. H: 28 - 2,8
    8. alphastryk: 22 - 2,2
    9. GoblinSmashmaster: 19 - 1,9
    10. Tylert: 17 - 1,7
    11. Wrath of Pie: 15 - 1,5

Which would lead to these bannings:
    Crack the Earth
    Esper Stormblade
    Essence Flare
    Jackal Pup
    Lightning Bolt
    Mistvein Borderpost
    Reef Shaman
    Sinkhole
    Wind Zendikon

But the scores are extremely close, so these bannings might change still if any scores change.
    Last edited by Asthereal; 09-06-2020 at 06:21 AM.
    Join the 4 Card Blind competition!

Feb 2014

My apologies for writing so late, but it makes things easier that everybody figured out the scores already :)
    And thank you very much for the kind words about my deck, that's very nice to read!

I think I have 30, not 32:

DECKS FOR ROUND 10 OF SEASON 7: Pauper Bannathon

1-4

1-4

2-2

0-6

Me

1-4

7. H: Mountain, Ghitu Lavarunner, Forked Bolt, Lightning Bolt
    6-0

6-0

1-4

6-0

6-0

for the question about double Stream of Thought, the problems would be: impossible to play 2 bolts in a row (against maxx regenerating rats for instance, or against battle screech), against double discard (you would lose with one stream in grave and one in hand), but mostly against land destruction: with this you mostly DL instead of LL.

Quote Originally Posted by dte View Post
    My apologies for writing so late, but it makes things easier that everybody figured out the scores already :)
    And thank you very much for the kind words about my deck, that's very nice to read!

I think I have 30, not 32:

DECKS FOR ROUND 10 OF SEASON 7: Pauper Bannathon

1-4

Me
    This seems to be the difference, and I agree. I was all "Lightning Bolt kills the Skimmer, easy win", but Reeplcheep just holds and waits. The turn that Stream of Thought is cast to recur both other cards, there's a window for the Skimmer to come down when dte will draw the Bauble and be locked out from Bolt.

A while ago we had a short discussion of the worst or most embarrassing cards that were banned. The banning of Lightning Bolt is interesting because it comes six rounds after Seal of Fire got the axe. Looking back, Lightning Bolt would have scored 2 fewer points (WD instead of WW against Crack the Earth).

Quote Originally Posted by silkster View Post
    A while ago we had a short discussion of the worst or most embarrassing cards that were banned. The banning of Lightning Bolt is interesting because it comes six rounds after Seal of Fire got the axe. Looking back, Lightning Bolt would have scored 2 fewer points (WD instead of WW against Crack the Earth).
    I was proud to get Tremble banned before Crack the Earth, haha. Tremble doesn't exactly top my list of powerful commons.

Sep 2011

I was proud to get Tremble banned before Crack the Earth, haha. Tremble doesn't exactly top my list of powerful commons.
    Getting Tremble banned before Sinkhole is impressive too, although that's probably related to having Peat Bog banned much earlier than Sandstone Needle.

Thread Information