Page 143 of 332 FirstFirst ... 4393133139140141142143144145146147153193243 ... LastLast
Results 2,841 to 2,860 of 6623

Thread: 4 Card Blind

Re: 4 Card Blind

Reeplcheep with round: Camels stomp rats

1. Asthereal (TO): Swamp, Fourth Bridge Prowler, Fourth Bridge Prowler, Plagued Rusalka
    Somewhat complicated race. I always wait till 2nd prowler is down to play my hawk, preventing 2 for 1s. Since you always must remove hawk immediately you keep 1 prowler in hand. So it is a 2 damage race but you have 1 chump or shrink available. OTP I have a 2 damage head start so chumping or shrinking leaves you with too little damage. OTD you can sneak in 1 damage before I equip so I can't race and have to accept a draw with my 2/4 blocker. 4-1

2. GoblinSmashmaster: Plains, Benevolent Bodyguard, Nip Gwyllion, Edge of the Divinity
    4/4 lifelink beats 3/3 lifelink 0-6

3. Reeplcheep: Plains, Healer's Hawk, Tasseled Dromedary, Bonesplitter
    Thats me.

4. dte: Swamp, Rakdos Carnarium, Raven's Crime, Gobhobbler Rats
    OTP hawk + equipment beats rats. OTD I can stabilize with the camel 4-1

5. alphastryk: Khalni Garden, Simic Growth Chamber, Floodbringer, Sprout Swarm
    I think I force you to block with your flyer before you can buyback sprout swarm. 6-0, needs further calculation

Edit: Wrong, 0-6

6. Wrath of Pie: Island, Fieldmist Borderpost, Dream Thrush, Infiltrator il-Kor
    I think you race me even with a few lifelink points head start, please check 0-6

7. H: Swamp, Rakdos Carnarium, Gobhobbler Rats, Raven's Crime
    See above 4-1

8. FTW: Swamp, Rakdos Carnarium, Raven's Crime, Gobhobbler Rats
    See above 4-1

9. maxx!: Snow-Covered Swamp, Rimebound Dead, Divest, Beckon Apparition
    Both your creatures "trade" with mine, so which ever creature I play you win by divesting the other one. 0-6

10. Silkster: Mountain, Rite of Flame, Rite of Flame, Empty the Warrens
    I play my hawk and equip as fast as possible. I can equip my camel for blocks every other turn w/o slowing my clock so your attackers very slowly diminish. I win on t9 both OTP & OTD. 6-0.

Edit: I missed that OTD I kill the goblin a turn later. 3-3

11. Tylert: Plains, Akrasan squire, Akrasan squire, Sacred cat
    4 toughness op. 6-0

Edit: 9 W 4 D for 25 (possibly)
    Last edited by Reeplcheep; 09-17-2020 at 07:53 AM.

Feb 2014

1. Asthereal (TO): Swamp, Fourth Bridge Prowler, Fourth Bridge Prowler, Plagued Rusalka
    6-0. Double discard, and bigger/regen body.

2. GoblinSmashmaster: Plains, Benevolent Bodyguard, Nip Gwyllion, Edge of the Divinity
    4-1. OTP Double discard, and bigger/regen body. OTD a 4/4 lifelink and a regen rats stare at each others.

1-4. OTP Double discard ends in a 0/4 camel, on the draw you race in the air.

6-0. Double discard.

3-3. OTP Double discard, on the draw you race in the shadows thanks to the haste with suspend.

2-2. Sounds right in the mirror.

2-2. Sounds right in the other mirror as well. :) At least this time I would be helping others with figuring out the matches.

<edit: I was wrong here, did not see that apparition can take sorceries>1-4. OTP double discard, you have to play divest for the rats or play the regen, both end in a draw. OTP you take the rat then play a threat.
    0-6. Rats got divested, but one threat sticks.

3-3. easy here.

2-2. OTP: you discard cat, play squire, discard second squire and embelm the cat. From there no one can attack. OTD: you play squire, discar cat, play squire number 2, embalm cat and no one can attack.

<edit> 29, not 34 points. We are probably three with these scores ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Asthereal View Post
    Final round time!
    Also, if you haven't responded yet to my question about what you'd be interested in playing for next season, please do so.
    Right now it looks like we might do a season of Peasant Bannathon, starting with the banned list we accumulated in this season.
    I am not very experienced but have enjoyed the last few rounds, so all up for continuing while opening to new cards!
    Maybe a few bans could help (strip mine, wasteland, cabal therapy, mental misstep,...)?£
    Last edited by dte; 09-16-2020 at 11:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dte View Post

34 points. We are probably three with these scores ;)
    7w 9d = 30?

1. Asthereal (TO): Swamp, Fourth Bridge Prowler, Fourth Bridge Prowler, Plagued Rusalka LL
    2. GoblinSmashmaster: Plains, Benevolent Bodyguard, Nip Gwyllion, Edge of the Divinity LL
    3. Reeplcheep: Plains, Healer's Hawk, Tasseled Dromedary, Bonesplitter WW
    4. dte: Swamp, Rakdos Carnarium, Raven's Crime, Gobhobbler Rats WL
    5. alphastryk: Khalni Garden, Simic Growth Chamber, Floodbringer, Sprout Swarm WL
    7. H: Swamp, Rakdos Carnarium, Gobhobbler Rats, Raven's Crime WL
    8. FTW: Swamp, Rakdos Carnarium, Raven's Crime, Gobhobbler Rats WL
    9. maxx!: Snow-Covered Swamp, Rimebound Dead, Divest, Beckon Apparition LL
    10. Silkster: Mountain, Rite of Flame, Rite of Flame, Empty the Warrens LL
    11. Tylert: Plains, Akrasan squire, Akrasan squire, Sacred cat LL

6w = 18 points

vs Reeplcheep:

On play:

W: Island, Borderpost
    R: Plains, Hawk
    W: suspend Infiltrator
    R: Bonesplitter, attack with Hawk (W @ 19, R @ 21)
    W: Dream Thrush, Infiltrator @ 1
    R: Equip Bonespliiter, attack with Hawk, block with Dream Thrush (W @ 19, R @ 24)
    W: Infiltrator, attack (R @ 21)

I win the race easily from here.

On draw:

R: Plains, Hawk
    W: Island, Borderpost
    R: Bonesplitter, attack with Hawk (W @ 19, R @ 21)
    W: Dream Thrush
    R: Equip Bonespliiter, attack with Hawk, block with Dream Thrush (W @ 19, R @ 24)
    W: suspend Infiltrator
    R: Dromedary
    W: Infiltrator @ 1
    R: Equip Bonesplitter, attack with Dromedary (W @ 17)

You need nine attacks and I only need eight, so I win here as well.

I am bad at this format, I clearly need the uncommons to save me next season.

GoblinHagMaster Results for Round Rats!

Rats, too much removal 0-6

That's me!

Hag smash! 6-0

Aww rats! 1-4

Swarmed 2-2

Hag smash! 6-0

Aww rats! 1-4

Aww rats! 1-4

Aww maxx! 1-4

Hey, that's me! Hag smash 6-0

Hag smash! 6-0

Total: 30 points

Sep 2011

1-4. OTP double discard, you have to play divest for the rats or play the regen, both end in a draw. OTP you take the rat then play a threat.
    Pretty sure this is 0-6. He metagamed against Raven's Crime and Stream.
    We never get to double discard. If we cast Crime once, he discards the creature, exiles Crime with Beckon Apparition to make a 1/1 flying, then Divest takes the Rats.
    Apparition was a smart meta choice, beating expected threats like Sacred Cat, Bolt loop, and Raven's Crime.

Our score should be 29 points (check your math)

My other deck would have scored 6+4+0+2+6+6+2+4+2+4=36 points, so I made the wrong meta call here. I thought people would have played around land destruction but I guess not! This will be a tight race. Maxx's deck is very strong in this meta.

Feb 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Reeplcheep View Post
    7w 9d = 30?
    Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    Pretty sure this is 0-6. He metagamed against Raven's Crime and Stream.
    We never get to double discard. If we cast Crime once, he discards the creature, exiles Crime with Beckon Apparition to make a 1/1 flying, then Divest takes the Rats.
    Apparition was a smart meta choice, beating expected threats like Sacred Cat, Bolt loop, and Raven's Crime.

Our score should be 29 points (check your math)

My other deck would have scored 6+4+0+2+6+6+2+4+2+4=36 points, so I made the wrong meta call here. I thought people would have played around land destruction but I guess not! This will be a tight race. Maxx's deck is very strong in this meta.
    Seems that I am not able to count anymore. Thank you for pointing it!
    You both are right, so I edited my post.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Asthereal's scores for the final round:

That's me borrowing the FBP idea and adding Rusalka for maximum X/1 removal. Seems very good against X/1 creatures. Let's hope there are a few of those.
    Hey, a pile of X/1 dudes! If you don't play anything I open with Rusalka. Otherwise I just take out the X/1s. 6-0
    Hey, an X/4! Booh! Still, I could race it, in theory. Not in practice, though, as you don't cast the Hawk, and so you get to attack for 2 first.
    If I play my third guy to try and race, that's your window to cast Hawk, forcing me to sac a guy to kill the Hawk, and I still lose the race.
    There's one ace up my sleeve: with me on 2 and you on 1 I can sac a guy to stop you from killing me and then win on the return swing.
    That ace only works on the play, so with me on the play you simply don't attack and we draw. Me on the draw you can just attack and win. 1-4
    This I lose to. 0-6
    Uh... this looks bad. I'll chalk up two losses for now. Maybe I'll think of something, but I don't think there's much I can do but stall. 0-6
    Those are some nice X/1 guys you have there. Prowlers eat them all, and if you don't do anything, Rusalka just attacks 20 times. 6-0
    This I still lose to. 0-6
    Don't think something changed since the last time I saw this deck... 0-6
    OTP I open with Rusalka. You Divest one Prowler. Then you wait until you have mana open, threatening to use Apparition in combat to block and trade with Rusalka, so I can't attack anymore. Whoever casts the last threat first loses, so we draw.
    OTD you Divest Rusalka. If I cast a guy, you can start dropping your threats and perhaps even win, so I wait and so do you. 2-2
    LOL I didn't expact anyone to still play this. I can kill four X/1s and trade with a 5th, but you have 6 and so when the smoke clears one remaining gobbo will eat my life total uncontested. 0-6
    Yeah, my deck was basically designed to beat the one deck I was sure I'd face. I open with Rusalka, after which each Prowler eats one guy and the gets sacced to kill a second. Your four dudes all die and my Rusalka finishes the game. 6-0

Total: 21 points
    Last edited by Asthereal; 09-17-2020 at 02:29 AM.
    Join the 4 Card Blind competition!

Me: Silkster: Mountain, Rite of Flame, Rite of Flame, Empty the Warrens

LOL is right. It's like having your favourite childhood cereal as an adult!
    I noticed that GoblinSmashTeam would have scored 46 points last round, so I thought it was worth a go because it's hilarious. I think my Phantasmal Terrain deck that I switched away from would have scored 29 points. So basically the same for me.
    6 points

I've had Nip Gwyllion + Edge of Divinity on my radar since week 1, but I really wanted to play it with Duress, which got banned really quickly. I couldn't find another way to protect it, so I didn't play it. Benevolent Bodyguard is a nice choice, which also means that I can't trade for it by quadruple+ blocking.
    0 points

I'm getting a different result. Math below.
    3 points I think

Classic WL versus discard.
    3 points

On my play, you can get a draw by playing T2 Sprout Swarm. On your play, I'm too slow. DL
    1 point

Goblins smash.
    6 points

3 points

3 points

There's the Divest that I was hoping to play against. On my play, you lead on Beckon and block, but you can't block with the Dead until you untap, and 5+5+4+3+2+1 is exactly 20. On your play, you lean on the fact that Beckon Apparition is an instant so you're always threatening to block and regenerate. WL
    Oddly enough, I included Beckon Apparition in some of my test decks as a way to fight Stream of Though, but I was only getting DD in that matchup anyway, so gave up on it. I didn't notice how good it was against Raven's Crime
    3 points

I though I did the math earlier, but writing it out, you definitely win on your play by just attacking.
    On my play, you block with the T1 Cat, then recast it and start attacking. I don't know how I got this wrong before.
    0 points

28 maybe, depending. It looks like I will overtake H but not maxx! either way. I still feel stupid for not playing Burning Inquiry in round 1. I was so sure that two thirds of the field would be Baloth+Inquiry. Then again, it looks like maxx! scores 40 points this round, with a very nicely positioned deck to crush their own round 10 submission (almost like that was set up intentionally), so it might have been down to the wire.

Reeplcheep: The * means a goblin dies.
    T1: Goblins, Hawk
    T2: Goblins attack 20-14. Cast Bonesplitter, Hawk attacks, 19-15
    T3: Goblins attack 19-9. Equip attack, 16-12
    T4: Goblins attack 16-6. Dromedary, attack, 13-9
    T5: Goblins attack 13-4. Attack, then equip Dromedary, 10-7
    T6. Goblins attack 10-2* Equip Hawk and attack, 7-5
    T7: 5 Gobs attack 7-1. Attack then equip Dromedary, 4-4
    T8: 5 Goblins attack for lethal.

I was concerned that other people would dislike having such a large ban list, but I'm game. In theory we could even extend this season, but maybe it's time for uncommons. I think 1-uncommon versus any-number-of-uncommons is an interesting choice. I lean toward 1-uncommon.

I think I missed that the goblin dies a turn later. your math is correct.

maxx!: Snow-Covered Swamp, Rimebound Dead, Divest, Beckon Apparition

Disagreement with Asthereal, whose deck looks like it completely crushes mine on paper but I think it actually draws both ways.

Yikes. Absolutely not getting any wins here, so I'll go for some draws.

OTP I can Divest Rusalka then sit there. Eventually you have to play a Prowler with no target, then I can play Beckon Apparition. If you use your second Prowler on the token, Rimebound Dead comes down and forces the draw. If you don't use your second Prowler on the token and just try to race, I block with the token and leave the board empty again. Seems like I can force a draw OTP.

OTD You lead with Rusalka, then I Divest a Prowler. You attack me with Rusalka, then I untap and pass. If you ever attack me with Rusalka again, I play Apparition during combat and block to trade. Then whoever plays their last creature first loses, so we stare. If you go ahead and play your Prowler on turn 2 with no target, I can still make a flash blocker to kill one of your creatures, then play Rimebound to stare/trade with the other. Pretty sure I can actually get a draw here too, surprisingly. Instant speed creatures are insane.

2-2

OTP I Divest Gwyllion. You can make a 2/3 Bodyguard, but Rimebound Dead blocks forever while my Spirit token kills you in the air. OTD Gwyllion lands and I can't answer it. I can block and regenerate forever, but lifelink means I can't race you. 4-1

I can Divest Hawk and get there in the air while my Dead blocks the Camel, or I can Divest Camel and then attack you to death with Dead while the Beckon token waits to block the Hawk. 6-0

OTD you can Raven's Crime me. I'll discard Rimebound Dead and then cast Beckon on Raven's Crime on my turn, then I still have time to Divest Rats before you can cast it. If you try to slowroll Raven's Crime, I just play Divest first. If you still wait to play Crime, I'll play Rimebound and kill you with it (and discard Beckon whenever you play Crime). OTP is the same, I just get to Divest earlier. 6-0

Nice deck. I can always Divest Floodbringer, but I can't stop the combo from getting started. My hunch is that I'm way too slow and get crushed, but I'll double check below. 0-6

OTP I Divest Borderpost. OTD I Divest Infiltrator, you play Thrush, then I play Rimebound Dead. I can make an instant speed flyer through Dream Thrush, so you can't race in the air. 6-0

See #4. 6-0

See #4. 6-0

This is me : ]

OTP I play Rimebound, then you make Goblins. I pass my second turn, and then if you attack we do the classic 5-4-3-2-1-not-dead thing. As soon as you DON'T attack me, I make a flying token EOT and start attacking with that. OTD you make Goblins, I make a token, then you attack me and 5 get through after a trade. I play Rimebound but can't block yet, so I take 5 again, then I can start regenerating blocks the next turn. So I take 5-5-4-3-2-1=20 exactly. 3-3

You would think that if I'm designing a meta deck with graveyard hate, it would beat the #1 most expected deck that also happens to have some graveyard recursion, wouldn't you? Well, you'd be wrong. I can Divest the cat, but then it Embalms before I can Beckon it. I can try to kill it in combat, but it will always have at least one Squire to exalt it, so it will attack as a 2/2. The only way I can kill a 2/2 in combat is if I use Beckon first, so there's no way for me to exile the cat from the graveyard. The good news is that Rimebound Dead holds back your whole team forever. The bad news is that Lifelink means I can't effectively counterattack in the air. 2-2

2+4+6+6+0+6+6+6+3+2 = 41

Even with this result I think I fall short of catching FTW, but that's fine.

I felt a little shaky sending in such a situational meta deck, but almost all of my other brews got beaten up by double discard. Looking at the last 2 rounds, the best remaining legal decks from those looked like Raven's Crime and Stream of Thought (a double discard deck and a deck that doesn't lose to discard), so I wanted to beat both of those. Super stoked to see 3 copies of Raven's Crime this round, and it's even nicer since it was my own brew from a couple rounds ago. (Not as excited to see my Sprout Swarm deck return.)

Also, this has been a really fun game to play with all of you every week. Checking this thread every Wednesday is a nice way to liven up my work week, so thanks for the games.

--------------------

vs alphastryk
    OTP
    maxx!: Rimebound
    alpha: Garden
    maxx!: Divest Floodbringer, attack (a=19)
    alpha: Growth Chamber
    maxx!: Beckon, attack (a=18)
    alpha: Garden
    maxx!: 2x attack (a=16)
    alpha: Swarm (1 sap)
    maxx!: 2x attack (a=14)
    alpha: Attack, Swarm (m=19, 2 saps)
    maxx!: 2x attack (a=12)
    alpha: 2x attack, Swarm (m=17, 3 saps)
    maxx!: 2x attack (a=10)
    alpha: 3x attack, Swarm (m=14, 4 saps)
    maxx!: 2x attack (a=8)
    alpha: 4x attack, Swarm (m=10, 5 saps)
    I'm not winning this race. I can try blocking with Rimebound, but that cuts my clock in half while it only slows yours down by like a turn.
    OTD is the same thing but worse. You have inevitability, so I have to try to race, but two 1/1s don't make for a fantastic clock.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Prowler is a "may" ability though.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    Prowler is a "may" ability though.
    Right, but I don't see how that changes things. I don't have to expose my Spirit token to Prowler. I can always cast Beckon during combat to block and force a real trade. Divest always takes 1 creature, and Beckon can always do a 1-for-1 trade if I only ever play it when I'm being attacked.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Quote Originally Posted by maxx! View Post
    Right, but I don't see how that changes things. I don't have to expose my Spirit token to Prowler. I can always cast Beckon during combat to block and force a real trade. Divest always takes 1 creature, and Beckon can always do a 1-for-1 trade if I only ever play it when I'm being attacked.
    This is a good point. I overlooked the instant speed trading thing. Looks like two draws indeed. I'll adjust my scores.
    Join the 4 Card Blind competition!

Feb 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Reeplcheep View Post
    I think I force you to block with your flyer before you can buyback sprout swarm. 6-0, needs further calculation
    Actually Sprout Swarm can be cast and bought back without Floodbringer, with 3 manas and 2 plants.
    So alphastryk should definitely be able to assemble 4 token to kill a raging camel after having blocked the hawk with floodbringer.

Sep 2011

Actually Sprout Swarm can be cast and bought back without Floodbringer, with 3 manas and 2 plants.
    So alphastryk should definitely be able to assemble 4 token to kill a raging camel after having blocked the hawk with floodbringer.
    Right. The minimal cost to go off is just 2 0/1 Plants + UGG (the two lands), which can start as early as turn 4, after playing Floodbringer on turn 3 and chumping.

That's why maxx! can't beat it with Divest. Floodbringer is just an additional engine, but stopping it isn't enough.

GoblinSmashMaster should still be able to force a draw, because there isn't enough tempo to amass enough Saprolings before the turn 2 4/4 deals lethal (and Bodyguard protects from an early gangblock), so alphastryk has to start chump blocking earlier. Floodbringer and maybe 1-2 Saprolings can counter attack, but lifelink prevents any progress.

Feb 2014

alphastryk OTP
    T1 a, garden/plant; g, nip.
    T2 a, simic; b, edge, attack 16/24
    T3 a, garden/plant, floodbringer; b, bodyguard, 12/28
    T4 a nothing; b 8/32 (bodyguard cannot attack or dies to a saproling), swarm.
    T5 a flip garden 3 plants/1sp/floodb; b attacks:
    attack with all: 1 sp blocks bodyguard, 1 plant blocks nip, swarm --> bodyguard dies, and with the remaining 2 plants 1 sp, flood is enough to create a plant to block + 1 sap per turn --> a wins.
    attack with Nip alone: 1 plant block the Nip (should be blocked or a dies to 44/4 pro green next turn), swarm --> the remaining 2 plants 2 sp, flood is enough to create a plant to block + 1 sap per turn --> a wins.

OTD, it should be a draw.

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

Hey all, sorry for the lack of response - been a crazy busy work week over here.

And to top it off, I borrowed a complicated deck that maxx! used in round 5!

Will try to come back tonight and double check my results.

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

Thanks to everyone for calculating out my matches - they all make sense to me, so I'm just going to look at my match vs Tylert which has not been looked at yet:

alphastryk: Khalni Garden, Simic Growth Chamber, Floodbringer, Sprout Swarm

vs

Tylert: Plains, Akrasan squire, Akrasan squire, Sacred cat

Tylert can't interfere with my ability to start generating large amounts of tokens, so it will come down to whether I can build up an army while chump blocking. I'm pretty sure that I can, as once I get the Saproling engine going, and eventually Floodbringer lets me chump with a plant every turn. That means all of the Saprolings can go into making more Saprolings and I win any long game. That said, lets make sure it gets to that point. Will avoid chumping as long as possible to build up Plant "mana"

so, me OTD:
    t turn 1: Plains, Cat
    a turn 1: Garden / Plant.
    t turn 2: Squire, attack. a: 18, t: 22
    a turn 2: Growth Chamber, returning Garden.
    t turn 3: Squire, attack. a:15, t: 25
    a turn 3: Garden / Plant, Floodbringer.
    t turn 4: attack. a: 12, t: 28
    a turn 4: not chumping yet, so Swarm now using 3 mana / 2 plants. Attack with Floodbringer. a: 12, t: 26
    t turn 5: attack. a: 9, t: 29
    a turn 5: I now have Floodbringer, 1 Saproling, 2 Plants, and 3 Mana. If I use Floodbringer to convert 2 mana into a Plant every turn, and plan to chump with that plant and them Swarm using 3 plants, 1 saproling, and Floodbringer, I can block forever and generate an ever increasing number of Saprolings, so that's a win.

OTP is similar but I get going a turn earlier.

WW 6-0

Sep 2011

There were some errors in how alphastryk's scores were logged before. Just fixed them. Those results should be consistent with everyone now, unless anyone has any objections.

Thread Information