Page 165 of 332 FirstFirst ... 65115155161162163164165166167168169175215265 ... LastLast
Results 3,281 to 3,300 of 6623

Thread: 4 Card Blind

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Re: 4 Card Blind

H: Island, Mishra's Factory, Faerie Duelist, Force Spike

1. Asthereal (TO): Mountain, Chronomaton, Forge Devil, Karplusan Wolverine
    Yeah, Force Spike still sucks. I can't realistically stop you without allowing Chrono and I just lose to that. 0-6

2. dte: Mishra's Factory, Swamp, Deathspore Thallid, mesmeric fiend
    Yeah, Force Spike definitely still sucks, I can't step both the Fiend and Thallid. 0-6

3. Reeplcheep: Island, Chronomaton, Mistblade Shinobi, Wingcrafter
    Once again, my deck is poorly designed so I can either stop your board or Chrono, but not both. 0-6

4. Wrath of Pie: Swamp, Blossoming Sands, Tidehollow Sculler, Putrid Leech
    Wrath has me winning both, but I am not quite sure how. Lets see when I am on the Play:

H T1: Factory, pass.
    W T1: Sands, [W=21], pass.

H T2: Island, if I attack, that lets Sculler resolve, taking Force Spike, which then means I only have 3 attacking power to potentially 6. Pretty sure I lose that way, so no attack.
    W T2: Swamp, Sculler, I have to Force Spike it, or just lose it.

H T3: Now I have no Spike, so I could attack, that doesn't let me play Duelist. However, it does mean I get an extra power on the board. I think I need that Flying though, since otherwise Leech and Factory just look at each other. Pass.
    W T4: Play Leech (I don't think is another line here, since doing nothing does nothing). Play Duelist EOT.

H T5: I can't attack with Factory, so just Duelist attacks [W=20], pass.
    W T5: Leech can't stay back, since that loses to the Duelist eventually. So attack. If Factory blocks, Leech gets pumped, Factory dies and then Duelist surely cannot race. So Factory has to wait. No blocks, but not pumping loses the race now, (10 turns vs 7 to my 3 attacking power). Hmm, so I guess I do win.

The Play vs. Draw shouldn't matter much since Spike costs 1 and the tapland. 6-0

5. alphastryk: Mountain, Mountain, Fireslinger, Goblin Cratermaker
    With only two threats, I can Force Spike one and race the other. 6-0

6. H: Bye, myself.

7. maxx!: Mishra’s Factory, Mountain, Bladeback Sliver, Cleansing Wildfire
    Huh, yeah, I have to Spike the Wildfire and seems I just loose the race after that. 0-6

8. silkster: Plains, Duergar Assailant, Brass Man, Swords to Plowshares
    Hmm, this one doesn't look clear, silk has us down for a Draw which might be the case, since I don't think I can realistically win. 2-2

9. Tylert: Swamp, Chronomaton, Wretched banquet, Unearth
    This one is pretty simple, I can't stop Chrono twice. 0-6

10. jhhdk: Tinder Farm, Boros Garrison, Village Ironsmith, Tormented Pariah
    jhhdk has this down as me winning, but I don't think I see it working out for me so easily. I have to counter Pariah, which means I can't ever attack, or block, or cast Duelist to deal with the Ironsmith.

H T1: Factory, pass.
    J T1: Farm, pass.

H T2: Island, I can actually attack here, since the Garrison will enter tapped. [J=18], pass.
    J T2: Garrison, pass.

H T3: Now I can't attack, since that would let Pariah resolve. Pass.
    J T3: Actually, wait a minute, I can't stop Pariah at all. Tinder Farm just gets replayed, soon enough there is three mana and so I just lose.

0-6

I thought people would be playing the Channel deck. Yeah, Force Spike still sucks, confirmed (yet again). 14 points it seems.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Feb 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Tylert View Post
    Ok I win this one.
    Yes.
    And that definitely ruins my terribly long-term plan to play unearth in an Archfiend's Vessel deck after FoW's banning.
    But somehow it is deserved that you would be the one making chronomaton banned :)

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    I thought people would be playing the Channel deck. Yeah, Force Spike still sucks, confirmed (yet again). 14 points it seems.
    Channel does not look great vs FoW, and most non-FoW decks play cards that answer channel without necessarily targeting it: this week there was mesmeric fiend, Swords to Plowshares, Force Spike (force spoil sucks, except against channel), mistblade shinobi, tidehollow sculler, goblin cratermaker, cleansing wildfire,...
    But mostly, I think we were expecting some FoWs, so hard to submit channel.deck.

The "metagame tides" in 4CB are quite interesting, but somehow hard to make sense of?

Quote Originally Posted by maxx! View Post
    maxx!: Mishra’s Factory, Mountain, Bladeback Sliver, Cleansing Wildfire

6. H: Island, Mishra's Factory, Faerie Duelist, Force Spike
    CW always eats Force Spike. This is hard. I can't block Fairie, but you can't stop Sliver pings. The Factories can't profitably attack into each other, but I can double attack once to get some extra damage through. This is really close, but I think I take it. Math below. 6-0

vs H (me OTD)
    H: Factory
    m: Factory
    H: Island
    m: Cleansing Wildfire (Force Spike)
    H: Pass
    m: Bladeback Sliver (EOT Faerie Duelist)
    H: Attack with Faerie (even though my Factory is tapped, I would trade Sliver with your Factory and race you easily) [m=19]
    m: Ping with Sliver [H=19]
    H: Attack with Faerie [m=18]
    m: Ping with Sliver [H=18]
    H: Attack with Faerie [m=2]
    m: Ping with Sliver [H=2]
    H: Attack with Faerie [m=1]
    m: Attack with Factory and Sliver [H dead]
    H: Island, Mishra's Factory, Faerie Duelist, Force Spike

7. maxx!: Mishra’s Factory, Mountain, Bladeback Sliver, Cleansing Wildfire
    Huh, yeah, I have to Spike the Wildfire and seems I just loose the race after that. 0-6
    Much as it pains me to find a better line for my opponent and cost myself some points, I thought it over and I think you can take a game here.

H OTP
    H: Factory
    m: Factory
    H: Island
    m: Cleansing Wildfire (Force Spike)
    H: Attack with Factory [m=18]
    m: Bladeback Sliver
    H: Pass
    m: Pass (EOT Duelist)
    H: Attack with Faerie, Sliver pings back [m=17, H=19]
    m: Pass
    H: Attack with Faerie, Sliver pings back [m=16, H=18]
    H: Attack with Faerie, Sliver pings back [m=2, H=4]
    H: Attack with Faerie, Sliver pings back [m=1, H=3]

I can double attack, but that leaves you at 1 if you block with your Factory. Hitting me once with Factory while I'm tapped out from Wildfire (delaying your Faerie) nets you 1 extra damage. You should win on the play.

When I'm OTP you have to lead with Island (to Spike my LD), which means you can't attack me with Factory on turn 2 due to summoning sickness, so I think my original line holds when you're OTD.

3-3?

edit: Actually I think I can just slam Bladeback Sliver on turn 2 when you're OTP. If you Spike it, then I can resolve Wildfire and then my Factory races your Faerie. Come to think of it, you always have to leave mana up to counter Wildfire, so why should I play into that? I can just play Sliver and attack you with it every turn. If you activate Factory to block, then your Island will be tapped and I can cast CW second main.

OK I guess it is 6-0 for me

Quote Originally Posted by dte View Post
    If you lead with sliver instead of cleansing fire, H plays faeries. Then he can attacks with it, but not with factory (spike should stay open), you attack with sliver. Factory cannot block, or you play fire.
    You win that race by never playing fire. With perfect info, spike doesn't do much.
    Yeah, I got there eventually :) You even quoted my edit

Force Spike continues to be bad

Feb 2014

Quote Originally Posted by maxx! View Post
    Yeah, I got there eventually :) You even quoted my edit

Force Spike continues to be bad
    Read, then quoted without re-reading :)

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

I hope everybody had nice days around Thanksgiving.

All results are in, and these are the standings for round 9:
    1. maxx!: 49 - 5,4
    2. dte: 40 - 4,4
    3. Tylert: 36 - 4
    4. Asthereal (TO): 35 - 3,9
    5. silkster: 28 - 3,1
    6. Reeplcheep: 25 - 2,8
    7. Wrath of Pie: 19 - 2,1
    8. H: 14 - 1,6
    9. alphastryk: 11 - 1,2
    10. jhhdk: 6 - 0,7

Which leads to these bannings:
    Bladeback Sliver
    Chronomaton
    Cleansing Wildfire
    Deathspore Thallid
    Mesmeric fiend
    Mishra's Factory
    Unearth
    Wretched Banquet

Standings for the seasons look as follows:
    1. dte: 37,4
    2. silkster: 36,7
    3. maxx!: 30,5
    4. FTW: 30,3
    5. Asthereal (TO): 23,7
    6. Wrath of Pie: 21,9
    7. Reeplcheep: 20,6
    8. GoblinSmashmaster: 20,5
    9. Tylert: 20,5
    10. alphastryk: 19,8
    11. H: 18,3
    12. Karshtakavaar: 2,6
    13. jhhdk: 0,7

So at the top, it's "exchanging pennies", as the Dutch saying goes.
    This round's string performance from dte gives him the lead again, silk following close behind.
    Behind our two leaders, there's quite the gap to maxx!, who took advantage of FTW sitting out this round and claimed third place.
    Then we see another large gap, after which I'm occupying 5th place, just ahead of a large pack.
    Our newest player jhhdk feared to remain without score this round, but H noticed he could not beat j's biggest threat, so the first points are in.

The fight for the win remains extremely tight. Good luck to both!
    Join the 4 Card Blind competition!

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

ROUND 10 OF SEASON 8: PEASANT CONTINUED BANNATHON has started.

I have PM'ed myself my deck for round 10, so you can start sending me your decks.

DEADLINE: Wednesday the 9th of December at 11:00AM Central European Time.
    (That's my time zone. Pacific Time it'll probably be something like Tuesday night a bit past midnight, so keep that in mind.)

PLEASE NOTE:
    The way you send your deck to me matters. Please send it in the way described below, so it doesn't cost me an hour of editing before I can post all the decks.
    Please send your deck as follows: Swamp, Swamp, Terror, Black Knight.
    So with card tags around each card, and not above eachother, and with your Username and 4CB S08R10 in the topic.
    Don't forget to keep an eye on the banned list. You'll find it in the second post of the thread, or in our Google Spreadsheet.

After the deadline has passed, I will post all decks on the forum here, and you can start puzzling out your scores.
    If you have any questions, please read the first two posts of this thread first. If you can't find the answer there, drop a message here. We'll answer a.s.a.p.

Also, if you've been lurking on this thread and looking to join, you can step in anytime, any round. That's no problem at all. Just send me your deck before the deadline, and I'll add you to the competition.

Happy deck designing everybody!

Looks like Tylert is submitting Aether Vial every round now that Chronomaton is finally banned.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Some good news for this round is that the Cards tags should be working now, thanks to Zilla for working on and fixing them.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Quote Originally Posted by Wrath of Pie View Post
    Looks like Tylert is submitting Aether Vial every round now that Chronomaton is finally banned.
    I don't know, FoW is not banned yet :)
    I'll probably play it in one of the 3 last rounds for sure, but when?? :)
    (Maybe i'm just teasing you guys and I will find a completely different deck!!)

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Some good news for this round is that the Cards tags should be working now, thanks to Zilla for working on and fixing them.
    Zilla is a god and should be worshipped as one.

Upgraded my laptop, now I can actually not have to go through the ridiculousness of using the on-screen keyboard app to submit my entry. (Old laptop also featured a dying hard drive and a broken hinge, so it was time to put it to rest.)

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Upgraded my laptop, now I can actually not have to go through the ridiculousness of using the on-screen keyboard app to submit my entry. (Old laptop also featured a dying hard drive and a broken hinge, so it was time to put it to rest.)
    Nice, enjoy it!

I'll be building my new PC as well during the coming weeks. The parts are coming in this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Asthereal View Post
    Nice, enjoy it!

I'll be building my new PC as well during the coming weeks. The parts are coming in this week.
    I did learn that I am terrible at screwdrivers though (added a solid state drive to the 2.5 inch bay, because laptops don't really come with enough storage for games anymore), so my brother handled that part.

Enjoy your PC! Hopefully you actually get your parts.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

I did learn that I am terrible at screwdrivers though (added a solid state drive to the 2.5 inch bay, because laptops don't really come with enough storage for games anymore), so my brother handled that part.

Enjoy your PC! Hopefully you actually get your parts.
    I hope so too. They already failed to send me the case. Hopefully they'll solve that this week.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

The deadline has passed, and I'm missing entries from regulars FTW, GoblinSmashmaster and Tylert.
    I'll do some work stuff (and potentially build a computer), so I can give you a few more hours.

EDIT: What's up, guys? 4CB fatigue? Just a few more rounds and we're taking a Christmas break to recharge our batteries.
    Last edited by Asthereal; 12-09-2020 at 09:20 AM.

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Quote Originally Posted by Asthereal View Post
    The deadline has passed, and I'm missing entries from regulars FTW, GoblinSmashmaster and Tylert.
    I'll do some work stuff (and potentially build a computer), so I can give you a few more hours.

EDIT: What's up, guys? 4CB fatigue? Just a few more rounds and we're taking a Christmas break to recharge our batteries.
    It's just that the card pool is a bit too huge and unknown to me... uncommons and commons... I think all the ones I know about have been banned already :)
    It's also too long for me. Block was cool, because it was a small pool of cards.
    I'm not saying this is not cool. Just that I don't find the time to dive into this huge card pool :)

(Sent my sublmission in private)

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

The peasant / pauper seasons definitely take more prep work since there are tons of cards we just don't know from playing other formats. I know more than once I have had very little time and just submitted somebody else's previous entry

Quote Originally Posted by alphastryk View Post
    The peasant / pauper seasons definitely take more prep work since there are tons of cards we just don't know from playing other formats. I know more than once I have had very little time and just submitted somebody else's previous entry
    It's the wild west now. No more "objectively strongest decks" (probably) and more metagaming. In theory, this might be good for the "just do what you feel like", cause I don't think we're ever going to see 6 near-equivalent decks again like we did for Ghost Quarter.

I've been brainstorming some deviant-style ideas for next season if people are interested, though I'm not sure what cardpool makes the most sense to do it in. Many of the ideas are on the lower level of power scale, like "Sudden Death: When the 11th turn would start, instead the player with the highest life total wins the game", which was actually how timed elimination matches were decided (well, still 5 turns). Pauper/Peasant would be fun, but we might have done them to death. Vintage/Legacy could be okay, but would require a significant banlist to make a number of these relevant. Of course, this is just one idea and we don't have to do it. And it sounds like we'll have time to discuss this between seasons.

Feb 2014

Quote Originally Posted by silkster View Post
    It's the wild west now. No more "objectively strongest decks" (probably) and more metagaming. In theory, this might be good for the "just do what you feel like", cause I don't think we're ever going to see 6 near-equivalent decks again like we did for Ghost Quarter.

I've been brainstorming some deviant-style ideas for next season if people are interested, though I'm not sure what cardpool makes the most sense to do it in. Many of the ideas are on the lower level of power scale, like "Sudden Death: When the 11th turn would start, instead the player with the highest life total wins the game", which was actually how timed elimination matches were decided (well, still 5 turns). Pauper/Peasant would be fun, but we might have done them to death. Vintage/Legacy could be okay, but would require a significant banlist to make a number of these relevant. Of course, this is just one idea and we don't have to do it. And it sounds like we'll have time to discuss this between seasons.
    The sudden death idea sounds pretty fun!
    Would make a lot of cards live, like all lifegain. When I discovered this thread, I became really in when I read the deviant legacy season, it sounded like so fun (but I also have a lot in its current form). This is going in the same direction.

I also had a couple of ideas:
    - loser bannathon: 3 points for L, 0 for W. Decks still have to be able to win the goldfish, and to be played optimally to aim at winning. Trouble though, it would probably involve even more unfamiliar cards than the current pauper/peasant. But we would have to find some crazy ideas :)
    - nostalgia pauper: a continuation of the current bannathon, but we have the right to use one of the cards of the banlist in our decks. It may help identifying the strong cards (so less cards searching), and creating a metagame (cabal/strip mine/mistep?). Maybe not ideal if some are already fed up with the current round.

Thread Information