Page 84 of 332 FirstFirst ... 347480818283848586878894134184 ... LastLast
Results 1,661 to 1,680 of 6623

Thread: 4 Card Blind

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Re: 4 Card Blind

Quote Originally Posted by Asthereal View Post
    The deadline has passed, and I'm still at just 4 entries.
    Do you guys need a bit more time? Or is everybody getting a bit tired of 4CB?
    I've already sent my deck, but i can understand how modern 4CB can be harder to get in with the huge amount of cards compared to Block 4CB :)

Quote Originally Posted by Asthereal View Post
    The deadline has passed, and I'm still at just 4 entries.
    Do you guys need a bit more time? Or is everybody getting a bit tired of 4CB?
    I didn't want to generate a "get-off-the-boat" movement so I kept my mouth shut until now, but albeit I had great fun last time, I won't be part of this season.

The reason is quite simple: I could take anywhere between 15-30 minutes to have a good overview of a block in Scryfall (sort by CMC, browse rapidly the 0-1-2 CMCs and look for oddities, keep an eye on whatever can cheat on resources) and come up with a half-decent deck (never really had enough time to really compute a "bracket" of the best strategies then figuring out which one was the best, so I'd usually pull the trigger on what I felt would do the cut).
    Say we're taking for instance Innistrad block, it has 640 cards, of which 236 have CMC less than or equal to 2. Browsing through these would take me like, 10-12 minutes.
    Modern is 13,228 cards, 4,597 of which are in the aforementioned CMC range.

Wish you a lot of fun for this season, I may from times to times lurk in the neighbourhood to see what's playing (and if Gobbo is still driving the wrecktrain).

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Quote Originally Posted by Unlif3 View Post
    I didn't want to generate a "get-off-the-boat" movement so I kept my mouth shut until now, but albeit I had great fun last time, I won't be part of this season.

The reason is quite simple: I could take anywhere between 15-30 minutes to have a good overview of a block in Scryfall (sort by CMC, browse rapidly the 0-1-2 CMCs and look for oddities, keep an eye on whatever can cheat on resources) and come up with a half-decent deck (never really had enough time to really compute a "bracket" of the best strategies then figuring out which one was the best, so I'd usually pull the trigger on what I felt would do the cut).
    Say we're taking for instance Innistrad block, it has 640 cards, of which 236 have CMC less than or equal to 2. Browsing through these would take me like, 10-12 minutes.

Wish you a lot of fun for this season, I may from times to times lurk in the neighbourhood to see what's playing (and if Gobbo is still driving the wrecktrain).

If you want a quick start, then you can check the decks that were submitted during the vintage banathon. At some point in time there were completely modern viable decks submitted.
    Once we have a first round, the meta will shape a bit and it will be easier to find a deck.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Quote Originally Posted by Tylert View Post
    If you want a quick start, then you can check the decks that were submitted during the vintage banathon. At some point in time there were completely modern viable decks submitted.
    Once we have a first round, the meta will shape a bit and it will be easier to find a deck.
    I hope so.

So what do I do? Post the four decks I have?
    Or wait until tomorrow morning?
    I think I'll wait until tomorrow morning.
    Let me know what you think. I'm open to suggestions.
    Join the 4 Card Blind competition!

Quote Originally Posted by Unlif3 View Post
    About 4,500 of those are irrelevant though.

The bar is quite high, something like Goblin Guide is actually secretly unplayable because 2/2 is way too small for a 1-drop which simplifies the 1-drop slot a lot.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Alright, no one else seems to be joining for round one, so here we go:

DECKS FOR ROUND 1 OF MODERN MADNESS

1. Asthereal (TO): Inkmoth Nexus, Mountain, Blazing Shoal, Greater Gargadon
    2. Tylert: Treetop Village, Golgari Rot Farm, Assassin's Trophy, Elixir of Immortality
    3. Wrath of Pie: Razorverge Thicket, Crashing Footfalls, Cenn's Tactician, Mental Misstep
    4. H: Cry of Contrition, Fume Spitter, Chronomaton, Swamp

Please post your scores and cross-check with the opponents.
    I'll update the Google Spreadsheet for the season, so you can enter your scores there as well: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Asthereal results for round one:

That's me, recycling a deck from the Vintage Bannathon for convenience.
    2. Tylert: Treetop Village, Golgari Rot Farm, Assassin's Trophy, Elixir of Immortality
    Very good deck, but one turn too slow to stop the combo. 6-0
    3. Wrath of Pie: Razorverge Thicket, Crashing Footfalls, Cenn's Tactician, Mental Misstep
    Doesn't stop the combo either. 6-0
    This does stop the combo. I discard Shoal if you make me, I have to suspend Gargamel and try to kill you with Nexus. You will kill Nexus with Spitter when you're at 9 poison.
    Meantime, Spitter can attack me and you can have Chrono tick up. EVen if I sac my stuff for Gargamel, I still lose the race on one turn, I think. 0-6

Total: 12 points

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

H: Cry of Contrition, Fume Spitter, Chronomaton, Swamp

It does seem that the combo is off-line here, so I think your best line will always be to suspend Gargadon ASAP. Let's see:

T1 A: Mountain, Suspend [10].
    T1 H: Swamp, Chronoman.

T2 A: Suspend 9, Nexus.
    T2 H: Fume Spitter, because I need to protect against the combo. Attack with Chronoman [19].

T3 A: Suspend 8, attack with Nexus [H=1p].
    T4 H: Attack with Spitter [A=19], up Chrono [2/2]

T5 A: Suspend 7, attack with Nexus [H=2p].
    T5 H: Attack with Spitter [A=18], up Chrono [3/3].

T6 A: Suspend 6, attack with Nexus [H=3p].
    T6 H: Attack with Spitter [A=17], up Chrono [4/4].

T7 A: Suspend 5, attack with Nexus [H=4p].
    T7 H: Attack with Spitter [A=16], up Chrono [5/5].

T8 A: Suspend 4, attack with Nexus [H=5p].
    T8 H: Since Gargadon will come in 2 or 3 turns, and I need 3 to win, I think it's best to keep pumping Chrono. Attack with Spitter [A=15] and up Chrono [6/6].

T9 A: Suspend 3, attack with Nexus [H=6p].
    T9 H: If I attack here with both, that is still a 3 turn clock, which I don't think will work. So, probably best to keep on upping Chrono. Attack with Spitter [A=14], up Chrono [7/7].

T10 A: Suspend 2. If you sac everything to Gargadon now, you lose the race. You'd also lose to holding back. So you have to let it ride for now, I think. Attack with Nexus, [H=7p].
    T10 H: You can threaten an instant speed Gargadon, but if you do, you'd either trade the Gargadon for the Chrono, but have no other permanents, meaning I win with Spitter. Or, block the Spitter, which I sac and shrink the Gargadon, and you can't win that race. So, you have to let it ride, I think. So, [A=6].

T10 A: Suspend 1. Again, you you go all-in on Gargadon, you can't win the race. You also can't win the race with Nexus, but that can chump block, but that won't help much. Which actually means that the whole line of attacking with Nexus might be bad. Lets see. Hold back.
    T10 H: If I attack with both, you'd chump the Spitter with Nexus, sac the Mountain and block the Chrono and we draw. I think if I want to win, I need to up Chrono [8/8] and pass.

T11 A: Suspend 0, cast Gargadon. Again, you can't win the race with Poison, or with damage, so hold back.
    T11 H: Gargadon would trade with Chrono, I still need Spitter to avoid losing to Nexus, so up Chrono [9/9] and pass.

T12 A: Nothing has changed, still can't win either race and it just gets worse. So, I think the attacking with Nexus line is bad. I will have to go back over this and figure out the right inflection point for a block, I think.

I think I can win this by making you discard as much as I can.

T1 T: Treetop, pass.
    T1 H: Swamp, Spitter.

T2 T: Rot Farm, Treetop to hand.
    T2 H: Cry, you can discard Treetop. Then I haunt and sac Spitter on itself, you discard Trophy. So I can't actually stop the loop.

0-6

I'm pretty sure I lose this no matter what I do.

0-6

4. H: Bye, myself.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Actually I think I win on the play vs. Tyler, since he can't discard Elixir and still loop, so he'd have to discard Rot Farm and then he doesn't have the mana to loop.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    Actually I think I win on the play vs. Tyler, since he can't discard Elixir and still loop, so he'd have to discard Rot Farm and then he doesn't have the mana to loop.
    You should win OTP vs Tyler.

H: Fume Spitter
    T: Treetop

H: Cry of Contrition x2. He only gets to keep 1 card. If he keeps Elixir, he can't use it. If he keeps Trophy, he can't use it. If he keeps Rot Farm, his 3/3 Treetop loses to Chronomaton. Holding back Treetop Village in hand doesn't make a difference because he can't use Rot Farm on its own.

You should win 6-0 vs Asthereal too. If he suspends Gargadon turn 1, he loses the threat of combo (can't Shoal), which lets you start growing Chronomaton a turn earlier and play Fume Spitter later (around 8-9 poison). Gargadon needs 3 hits to kill you. You should be able to get Chronomaton to at least 10/10 before that. If he sacrifices his lands to get Gargamel faster, you can chump with Fume Spitter and -1/-1. If he holds back creatures to block, you can hold back yours and grow to 20/20.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    You should win 6-0 vs Asthereal too. If he suspends Gargadon turn 1, he loses the threat of combo (can't Shoal), which lets you start growing Chronomaton a turn earlier and play Fume Spitter later (around 8-9 poison). Gargadon needs 3 hits to kill you. You should be able to get Chronomaton to at least 10/10 before that. If he sacrifices his lands to get Gargamel faster, you can chump with Fume Spitter and -1/-1. If he holds back creatures to block, you can hold back yours and grow to 20/20.
    That's what I calculated as well. I saw my Gargy resolve and attack only twice before his Chrono got to 10/10 in my best lines.

But more importantly, where was your deck? You're not only one of the most loyal regulars, you're also one of the best players we have.

PS/Off Topic: Getting used to a new keyboard. Very nice, those Cherry MX Red switches, but they're VERY different from standard Logitech K120 membrane keys.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Assuming the ever correct FTW is correct, these should be standings for round 1:

Rank. Player: score - SP
    1. Wrath of Pie: 12 - 4,0
    1. Asthereal (TO): 12 - 4,0
    3. H: 9 - 3,0
    4. Tylert: 3 - 1,0

This leads to bannings for the following cards:
    Blazing Shoal
    Cenn's Tactician
    Crashing Footfalls
    Greater Gargadon
    Inkmoth Nexus
    Mental Misstep
    Razorverge Thicket

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

ROUND 2 of SEASON 5: MODERN MADNESS has started.

I have PM'ed myself my deck for round 2, so you can start sending me your decks.

DEADLINE: Wednesday the 22nd of January, at 11:00AM Central European Time.
    (That's my time zone. Pacific Time it'll probably be something like Tuesday night a bit past midnight, so keep that in mind.)

PLEASE NOTE:
    The way you send your deck to me matters. Please send it in the way described below, so it doesn't cost me an hour of editing before I can post all the decks.
    Please send your deck as follows: Swamp, Mountain, Blightspeaker, Combust (so with card tags around each card, and not above eachother), with your Username and 4CB S05R02 in the topic.
    Many of you already do this. Thanks a lot, this really saves me a lot of time and hassle of copying and pasting text and tags!
    Oh and don't forget to keep an eye on the banned list. It will grow every round. You'll find the banned list in the second post of the thread, or in our Google Spreadsheet.

After the deadline has passed, I will post all decks on the forum here, and you can start puzzling out your scores.
    If you have any questions, please read the first two posts of this thread first. If you can't find the answer there, drop a message here. We'll answer a.s.a.p.

Also, if you've been lurking on this thread and looking to join, you can step in anytime, any round. That's no problem at all. Just send me your deck before the deadline, and I'll add you to the competition.

Happy deck designing everybody!

Thank goodness Misstep is banned, I did not want to submit it for 12 rounds.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Quote Originally Posted by Wrath of Pie View Post
    Thank goodness Misstep is banned, I did not want to submit it for 12 rounds.
    Yeah, it's pretty good. Unless they're not playing one mana stuff, and there's quite a pile of playables that don't cost one mana. That's why I allowed it at the start.

PS. I wanted to post that we already had 4 entries, but two of them contained cards from the initial banned list.
    Please note that we had a starting banned list containing stuff like Shelldock and Lab Man, and we'll be adding the round winners to that list.
    For details, see our Google Spreadsheet (tab "Banned List") or the second post of this thread.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

A little under 24 hours until the deadline, and we're at 3 entries.
    One of the illegal ones has been corrected, but no new decks yet.
    Don't be late!

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

The deadline has passed, but I'm a bit busy at work, so decks will come in a few hours hopefully.
    We're at 5 entries, and all illegal decks have been legalized.
    If anyone still wants to join or change something, that's possible for a few hours.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Here we go:

DECKS FOR ROUND 2 OF SEASON 5: MODERN MADNESS

1. Asthereal (TO): Chancellor of the Tangle, Chancellor of the Tangle, Chancellor of the Tangle, Hypergenesis
    2. Tylert: Aether vial, Chancellor of the tangle, Myr superion, Deputy of detention
    3. Wrath of Pie: Blackcleave Cliffs, Divest, Keldon Halberdier, Chronomaton
    5. FTW: Lotus Bloom, Lotus Bloom, Barren Glory, Noxious Revival

Please post your scores and cross-check with the opponents.
    I'll update the Google Spreadsheet for the season, so you can enter your scores there as well: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Asthereal results for round 2:

1. Asthereal (TO): Chancellor of the Tangle, Chancellor of the Tangle, Chancellor of the Tangle, Hypergenesis
    That's me. If combo man can, combo man will combo.
    2. Tylert: Aether vial, Chancellor of the tangle, Myr superion, Deputy of detention
    EDIT: Deputy takes my guys, and then I die to whatever. 0-6
    3. Wrath of Pie: Blackcleave Cliffs, Divest, Keldon Halberdier, Chronomaton
    Divest makes me discard a Chanceloor, but the other two should do it. 6-0
    T1 Spitter, T2 make me discard two Chancellors, but T3 Chrono doesn't race my final Chancellor. 6-0
    5. FTW: Lotus Bloom, Lotus Bloom, Barren Glory, Noxious Revival
    Yeah, this is a tad faster than my deck, I'm guessing. Not needing to attack helps. 0-6

Total: 12 points.

Thread Information