Page 146 of 332 FirstFirst ... 4696136142143144145146147148149150156196246 ... LastLast
Results 2,901 to 2,920 of 6623

Thread: 4 Card Blind

Re: 4 Card Blind

maxx!: Forest, Fieldmist Borderpost, Bant Sureblade, Mental Misstep

1. Asthereal (TO): Swamp, Strip Mine, Fourth Bridge Prowler, Plagued Rusalka
    I dodge Strip Mine and can Misstep one of your threats. 6-0

2. Reeplcheep: Plains, Swamp, Cabal Therapy, Sacred Cat
    OTP I can play my guy before you flashback Therapy. OTD I can't. 3-3

3. dte: Laboratory Maniac, Mortuary Mire, Izzet Boilerworks, Irrigation Ditch
    Lab man is uncommon ????????? 0-6

4. alphastryk: Bazaar of Baghdad, Basking Rootwalla, Basking Rootwalla, Basking Rootwalla
    I can Misstep one Rootwalla and beat the others easily in combat. Math below but I should win this race. 6-0

5. Wrath of Pie: Island, Aether Vial, Blitz Leech, Ponyback Brigade
    Misstep Aether Vial. 6-0

6. H: Swamp, Swamp, Drainpipe Vermin, The Rack
    Misstep The Rack. 6-0

7. GoblinSmashmaster: Mountain, Rite of Flame, Rite of Flame, Empty the Warrens
    Misstep Rite of Flame. 6-0

8. maxx!: Forest, Fieldmist Borderpost, Bant Sureblade, Mental Misstep
    This is me :]

9. Tylert: Chronomaton, Wretched banquet, Swamp, Diregraf ghoul
    Uh I don't think this is legal? Chronomaton is fast enough to stop my attacker and then grow forever and kill me, so I can't let it resolve. That leads to a staring contest where nobody can play a creature due to Wretched Banquet. 2-2 if this deck is legal

10. Silkster: Swamp, Darksteel Citadel, Corrupted Zendikon, The Rack
    I can Misstep the Rack, but I can't beat an indestructible 3/3. OTP I can get in 1 attack while your lands are tapped, but then it's 17 to 18 (due to Misstep) so I still lose the race. 0-6

11. FTW: Mountain, Ghitu Lavarunner, Mental Misstep, Thunderclap
    Thunderclap always kills my guy, and Missteps trade when I try to counter your guy. 0-6

6+3+0+6+6+6+6+2+0+0 = 35 ? (or maybe 39 if I actually get 6 from Tylert)

Congrats to dte for both realizing that Lab Man was legal and finding the perfect deck to put him in. Nice work

-----

vs alphastryk
    OTD
    a: 3x Rootwalla, 1 gets countered (m=18)
    m: Borderpost
    a: Attack (m=16)
    m: Sureblade
    You can't attack into my guy, and you can't profitably block. You need 8 more attacks, and I only need 7
    Last edited by maxx!; 10-01-2020 at 01:40 PM. Reason: card tags

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Ahah... and I really thought ghoul was common :(

Ok. my bad. Or maybe Asthereal bad!! :)
    I deserve half your points Asthereal...!! or not a measly 4 points...

Quote Originally Posted by Tylert View Post
    Ahah... and I really thought ghoul was common :(

Ok. my bad. Or maybe Asthereal bad!! :)
    I deserve half your points Asthereal...!! or not a measly 4 points...
    See, you should have played Aether Vial, then you would have simply needed to look at common creature options and not have to worry about an illegal submission.

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Quote Originally Posted by Wrath of Pie View Post
    See, you should have played Aether Vial, then you would have simply needed to look at common creature options and not have to worry about an illegal submission.
    Next round. There's a good common creature that I don't understand why you didn't play it :)

Next round. There's a good common creature that I don't understand why you didn't play it :)
    It's been established that I am terrible with commons, that shouldn't surprise you.

Sep 2011

He's saving tech for you to use later

Silkster: Swamp, Darksteel Citadel, Corrupted Zendikon, The Rack

1. Asthereal (TO): Swamp, Strip Mine, Fourth Bridge Prowler, Plagued Rusalka WW, 6 points

2. Reeplcheep: Plains, Swamp, Cabal Therapy, Sacred Cat
    I was ready for the first discard, but not the second. WL, 3 points

Oh my god, I even asked myself "what about those two really broken cards that you always forget about, Silkster? Whenever there aren't banlists, you always forget about Lab Man and Thassa's Oracle? Oh, no, those are rare. They don't matter."
    I think it's highly unlikely that I would have come up with a list that plays around Strip Mine, Cabal Therapy (even double Therapy), Mental Misstep, or a random removal spell, but I'm sad that I didn't get the chance to try. In all my time playing XCB, I've never seen a full sweep. Well flipping done!

I've also been anticipating the day I could play Mortuary Mire, and you've gone and killed it. Swamp + Mortuary Mire + Fume Spitter + Corrupted Zendikon was a consideration for most of last season (down grading Fume Spitter after it got banned), or playing it with Kor Skyfisher.

4. alphastryk: Bazaar of Baghdad, Basking Rootwalla, Basking Rootwalla, Basking Rootwalla WW 6 points

5. Wrath of Pie: Island, Aether Vial, Blitz Leech, Ponyback Brigade WW 6 points
    Was Blitz Leech carefully chosen to beat Chronomaton? I like it. I'm sorry there weren't more Chronomatons for you to eat.

6. H: Swamp, Swamp, Drainpipe Vermin, The Rack WW 6 points

7. GoblinSmashmaster: Mountain, Rite of Flame, Rite of Flame, Empty the Warrens
    I really wasn't expecting this one! I didn't have the guts to play a deck so vulnerable to Mental Misstep, but that card did not put up the numbers I was expecting. Nice. LL

8. maxx!: Forest, Fieldmist Borderpost, Bant Sureblade, Mental Misstep
    When first looked at this, I thought it was WL, but the 2 life lost to Mental Misstep is exactly the tempo I needed to make up for my creature "entering the battlefield" tapped. WW 6 points

9. Tylert: Chronomaton, Wretched banquet, Swamp, Diregraf ghoul
    6 points for illegality. I think I win this regardless, but I'm not totally sure.

Indestructible threat coming in hot. WW, 6 points

45 points.

Over the week, I had been brainstorming here and there to think of what uncommons would be really good. I figured that was most of the work, but as I sat down to actually make a list, I realized how restrictive the 1-uncommon limit was. Suddenly, I was back to looking at really sad commons. I mean, we got all the way down to banning Vile Rebirth last season. It was really interesting to be able to pick only one uncommon, especially since several of the top ones perform very different roles. Some are build-around, but many are just free accessories to be added to a 3-card deck. I had no idea if my deck would be any good, but I couldn't think of much that would beat it, and past experience told me that was a good place to stop.

Eight different uncommons were played this round, and none more than twice. I didn't think there would be so much diversity. I'm excited for next round, though I have no idea yet where to start.

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post

6. H: Swamp, Swamp, Drainpipe Vermin, The Rack
    If you play out the Rack, I Misstep it then Thunderclap the Rat after Lavarunner's already in play. If you sandbag The Rack and just play out your Rat on turn 2 holding up black mana, I just attack with 1/2 Lavarunner into it. That threatens to win the race (1/2 vs 1/1). If you chump and trigger the discard, I discard Thunderclap and can still Misstep The Rack. If you don't block and attack back, I race. If you cast The Rack I lose 2 life to Misstep, making me fall behind in the race, but then I can Thunderclap freely. Either way Lavarunner gets there. WW 6-0
    What if H's strategy is turn 2 Vermin, then trade damage until you're both at 2 (or both at 1), and then play the Rack? I think this is good enough to force you to hold back when you're on the draw.
    Edit: It was pointed out to me that Thunderclap can go on the aggro at 4-4 life totals.
    Last edited by silkster; 10-02-2020 at 05:47 PM.

Feb 2014

Quote Originally Posted by silkster View Post
    Oh my god, I even asked myself "what about those two really broken cards that you always forget about, Silkster? Whenever there aren't banlists, you always forget about Lab Man and Thassa's Oracle? Oh, no, those are rare. They don't matter."
    I think it's highly unlikely that I would have come up with a list that plays around Strip Mine, Cabal Therapy (even double Therapy), Mental Misstep, or a random removal spell, but I'm sad that I didn't get the chance to try. In all my time playing XCB, I've never seen a full sweep. Well flipping done!

I've also been anticipating the day I could play Mortuary Mire, and you've gone and killed it. Swamp + Mortuary Mire + Fume Spitter + Corrupted Zendikon was a consideration for most of last season (down grading Fume Spitter after it got banned), or playing it with Kor Skyfisher.
    For the mire we're even, my other deck was based on darksteel citadel and Ensoul Artifact (with voltaic servant, good vs misstep, removal and strip mine, crap vs therapy, much less good than the one you came up with the rack) and you just banned citadel.
    I also tried to make mire + kor work before Maxx made kor skyfisher banned, but it was never really good.

I'm a bit sad that no one saw labman coming (except FTW), it feels like cheating a bit.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by dte View Post
    I'm a bit sad that no one saw labman coming (except FTW), it feels like cheating a bit.
    My gauntlet for this round had weak decks for Lab Man like:
    Island, 2x Borderpost, Lab Man (beats Strip Mine, but loses to discard or removal)
    Swamp, Dimir Aqueduct, Lab Man, Unearth (beats 1 discard or removal, loses to Strip Mine or removal + Misstep or 2x discard)

Basically I thought it (or any other 3cc threat) would be crushed by Strip Mine and Cabal Therapy so I just wrote it off as unplayable until other cards got banned and came prepared to beat strategies like those.

Mortuary Mire as well as the 3rd land to beat Strip Mine are great tech. Sure you saw Lab Man was legal, but I think you're getting underrated for how smart your land tech was to beat all the hate and still race fast decks like Empty.

I had Darksteel Citadel paired with threats that lost to Misstep or removal, and never thought about turning it into a 3/3!! Also smart.

What if H's strategy is turn 2 Vermin, then trade damage until you're both at 2 (or both at 1), and then play the Rack? I think this is good enough to force you to hold back when you're on the draw.
    H's best strategy is turn 2 Vermin. I thought I addressed that in my comment. I still win that OTD.

The trick is I can Thunderclap the Vermin any time. I only take damage to protect Misstep while it's useful, but there's no point in going as low as 2. I can Thunderclap the rat, stop taking damage, and lose Misstep but also grow to 2/2. So I just need to find the point where I can still threaten Misstep but outtempo The Rack with a 2/2.

OTD that happens when we're both at 4 life, my precombat main phase. I Thunderclap the Rat. If H doesn't make me discard, I have Misstep for The Rack and face no clock. If H makes me discard, I grow to 2/2 (H=2). Then Rack comes down but it only gets 1 hit for 3 (F=1) before the 2/2 wins.

OTP I can do it when I'm at 7 vs 6 life, killing in 3 hits when The Rack also needs 3 hits but only gets 2.

Quote Originally Posted by dte View Post
    For the mire we're even, my other deck was based on darksteel citadel and Ensoul Artifact (with voltaic servant, good vs misstep, removal and strip mine, crap vs therapy, much less good than the one you came up with the rack) and you just banned citadel.
    I also tried to make mire + kor work before Maxx made kor skyfisher banned, but it was never really good.
    Once I decided on Corrupted Zendikon on Darksteel Citadel, I was reminded of Ensoul Artifact. It kind of felt like a waste to use the Citadel on something else, but I couldn't find a good common to round out the deck, and there's no point saving a card for later rounds unless it's reeeally obscure.

Mortuary Mire as well as the 3rd land to beat Strip Mine are great tech. Sure you saw Lab Man was legal, but I think you're getting underrated for how smart your land tech was to beat all the hate and still race fast decks like Empty.

OTD that happens when we're both at 4 life, my precombat main phase. I Thunderclap the Rat. If H doesn't make me discard, I have Misstep for The Rack and face no clock. If H makes me discard, I grow to 2/2 (H=2). Then Rack comes down but it only gets 1 hit for 3 (F=1) before the 2/2 wins.
    Yeah, the Mortuary Mire as the third land is great.

Oh, you clap at 4. I thought you were just saying you race to the end. Man, that's subtle. Well spotted.

5. Wrath of Pie: Island, Aether Vial, Blitz Leech, Ponyback Brigade WW 6 points
    Was Blitz Leech carefully chosen to beat Chronomaton? I like it. I'm sorry there weren't more Chronomatons for you to eat.
    It was, but the issue is that to actually beat Chronomaton you have to be able to have a corresponding threat of the same CMC (or lower, which I probably should have considered), otherwise it does not actually do that. Probably should have just went with some random common creature with ETB artifact removal instead.

Sep 2011

I think there are still 2 undecided results: alphastryk and H

Plus a decision from Asthereal on Tylert's deck

H should beat alphastryk because I don't see how 3 1/1s can race The Rack + a 1/1, but it would be good to get a confirmation from them. alphastryk awkwardly can't play out only 1 Rootwalla to keep cards in hand, it's all or nothing, and a generic Merfolk of the Pearl Trident is enough pressure to break the match.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Plus a decision from Asthereal on Tylert's deck
    As much as it pains me, I fear this has to be a row of zeros. Jurisprudence dictates as much.
    Join the 4 Card Blind competition!

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

I felt so clever beating discard and strip mine, but failed to realize Lab Man is now an uncommon. Busy week, but everyone's calculations makes sense to me. Back to the drawing board!

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Standings for round 1:

1. dte: 60 - 6
    2. silkster: 45 - 4,5
    3. FTW: 44 - 4,4
    4. GoblinSmashmaster: 39 - 3,9
    4. maxx!: 3,9
    6. Reeplcheep: 27 - 2,7
    7. Wrath of Pie: 24 - 2,4
    8. H: 21 - 2,1
    9. alphastryk: 14 - 1,4
    10. Asthereal (TO): 11 - 1,1
    11. Tylert: 0 - 0

So dte gets the first maximum score in a long time, thanks to an uncommon Lab Man and great support lands.
    Strong performances of silk and FTW put them in second and third place, and these cards get the axe:

Corrupted Zendikon
    Darksteel Citadel
    Ghitu Lavarunner
    Irrigation Ditch
    Izzet Boilerworks
    Laboratory Maniac
    Mental Misstep
    Mortuary Mire
    The Rack
    Thunderclap

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

ROUND 2 OF SEASON 8: PEASANT CONTINUED BANNATHON has started.

I have PM'ed myself my deck for round 2, so you can start sending me your decks.

DEADLINE: Wednesday the 7th of October, at 11:00AM Central European Time.
    (That's my time zone. Pacific Time it'll probably be something like Tuesday night a bit past midnight, so keep that in mind.)

PLEASE NOTE:
    The way you send your deck to me matters. Please send it in the way described below, so it doesn't cost me an hour of editing before I can post all the decks.
    Please send your deck as follows: Swamp, Swamp, Terror, Black Knight.
    So with card tags around each card, and not above eachother, and with your Username and 4CB S08R02 in the topic.
    Don't forget to keep an eye on the banned list. You'll find it in the second post of the thread, or in our Google Spreadsheet.

After the deadline has passed, I will post all decks on the forum here, and you can start puzzling out your scores.
    If you have any questions, please read the first two posts of this thread first. If you can't find the answer there, drop a message here. We'll answer a.s.a.p.

Also, if you've been lurking on this thread and looking to join, you can step in anytime, any round. That's no problem at all. Just send me your deck before the deadline, and I'll add you to the competition.

Happy deck designing everybody!

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Sorry everyone, just been a bit busy, I submitted something dumb/bad this week, hopefully I'll have time to do the analysis, but I will be gone pretty much the whole day tomorrow.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    Sorry everyone, just been a bit busy, I submitted something dumb/bad this week, hopefully I'll have time to do the analysis, but I will be gone pretty much the whole day tomorrow.
    I look forward to losing to your dumb/bad submission.

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

Submitted my entry for this week. Is there a new google sheet for this season? Couldn't find a link.

Quote Originally Posted by alphastryk View Post
    Submitted my entry for this week. Is there a new google sheet for this season? Couldn't find a link.
    Yeah, it was in the post with the decklists. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    At this point, there are just so many flavours of bad. Sometimes "sub-optimal" cards just dodge all of the hate. I was so sure that Mental Misstep was going to be in at least 5 of 11 decks last week that I almost decided not to play any 1-drops. Fortunately, I remembered that my predictions are usually bad.

Thread Information