Thread: 4 Card Blind

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Re: 4 Card Blind

Quote Originally Posted by Asthereal View Post
    4. GoblinSmashmaster: 14 - 2,3
    5. H: 14 - 2,3
    I'm not disagreeing, but just curious, what is the tie breaker here?

EDIT: Oops, just realized that since we were at 7, it doesn't matter. Nevermind,
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Sep 2011

Since Modern Horizons is Constructed legal as of today, does that make the cards legal for the next round?

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    I'm not disagreeing, but just curious, what is the tie breaker here?

EDIT: Oops, just realized that since we were at 7, it doesn't matter. Nevermind,
    Nah, you're right. You're both on nr. 4, as you have equal scores.
    But yeah, for bannings it doesn't matter, since we were at 7 players, so only top-3 gets banned.

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    Since Modern Horizons is Constructed legal as of today, does that make the cards legal for the next round?
    Yup, pretty much. I'll try to remember to include this in the post for when the next round opens.
    I hope to create a deck soon, so you guys can start brewing as well.

Also, apple713's busy times cost him the top spot. But let's not forget FTW sent in some strong scoring decks. So deservedly, FTW is at the top now.
    Join the 4 Card Blind competition!

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Three more rounds! And I've got my deck, so...

Round 10 of 4CB Season 2, the Vintage Bannathon, has started!

I have PM'ed myself my deck for round 10, so you can start sending me your decks.
    You will find standings for round 9 and new bannings based on results from round 9 in the Google Spreadsheet, or in the post above, or in the first two posts of the thread.
    (If scores change still, I will adjust everything accordingly. NOTE: If scores do change, this might affect bannings. Again.)

DEADLINE FOR ROUND 10: THURSDAY the 20th of June, at 6:00AM Central European Time.
    (Yup, that's a day later than usual. This because I'm gone for work on Wednesday, so I won't post decks before Thursday anyway. Also, note time zones. 6AM CET is like 9PM on Wednesday evening in EST.)

PLEASE NOTE:
    - The way you send your deck to me matters. Please send it in the way described below, so it doesn't cost me an hour of editing before I can post all the decks.
    Please send your deck as follows: Goblin Guide, Mogg Fanatic, Pithing Needle, Cavern of Souls (so with card tags around each card, and not above eachother), with your Username and 4CB S02R10 in the topic. Most of you already do this. Thanks a lot, this really saves me the time and hassle of copying and pasting text and tags!
    - The banned list (you'll find it in the second post and in the Google Spreadsheet). So keep an eye on what you send in.

After the deadline has passed, I will post all decks on the forum here, and you can start puzzling out your scores.
    If you have any questions, please read the first two posts of this thread first. If you can't find the answer there, drop a message here. We'll answer a.s.a.p.

Also, the Google Spreadsheet has been updated: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Happy deck designing everybody!

Fun facts:
    - FTW has taken over the top spot, now leading with 2,7 season points more than apple713. Can apple713 find the time and brew something awesome to regain first place?
    - (Okay, this is still a sad fact.) Whoshim's creative awesomeness again didn't pan out the way we'd hoped. Sorry, mate!
    - My #banhammerheim has been succesful. Let's ban more weird crap!
    - IMPORTANT!! Modern Horizons is tourney legal as of today, so you can use cards from that set to make the sickest deck ever! (Apart from when Black Lotus was legal. We won't beat that.)
    Last edited by Asthereal; 06-20-2019 at 08:33 AM.

When a card is really good, it gets banned twice.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Quote Originally Posted by Wrath of Pie View Post
    When a card is really good, it gets banned twice.
    Yup. Or I forgot to remove doubles.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

About two days until the deadline, and I'm at 3 entries so far. Tough round?

Sep 2011

About two days until the deadline, and I'm at 3 entries so far. Tough round?
    Just about to submit mine.

This doesn't affect the bannings, but I noticed Whoshim's creative deck was given 0 pts for Round 9 in the total points table. Whoshim should have beaten H 6-0. It's the exact same matchup as round 8. Angrath's Rampage doesn't stop Genesis Chamber combo.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    Just about to submit mine.

This doesn't affect the bannings, but I noticed Whoshim's creative deck was given 0 pts for Round 9 in the total points table. Whoshim should have beaten H 6-0. It's the exact same matchup as round 8. Angrath's Rampage doesn't stop Genesis Chamber combo.
    Well spotted. I'll adjust scores.

Also, dealine has passed, and I'm at 6 entries now.
    I'm at work and I have a couple things I need to do this morning.
    I expect to post decks in a few hours, so there's still time to send something in.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

DECKS FOR ROUND 10 OF THE VINTAGE BANNATHON

1. Asthereal (TO): Snapback, Force of Negation, Crashing Footfalls, Snow-Covered Forest
    2. Wrath of Pie: Blooming Marsh, Mutavault, Crashing Footfalls, Despise
    3. Whoshim: Concealed Courtyard, Path to Exile, Hapatra, Vizier of Poisons, Elvish Spirit Guide
    4. H: Force of Negation, Misthollow Griffin, Pithing Needle, Sand Silos
    5. GoblinSmashmaster: Sandstone Needle, Curse of the Pierced Heart, Electrodominance, Restore Balance
    6. FTW: Tundra, Daze, Force of Negation, Student of Warfare
    7. Tylert: Chancellor of the tangle, Aether vial, Myr superion, Deputy of detention

Please post your scores and cross-check with the opponents.
    I'll update the Google Spreadsheet for the season, so you can enter your scores there as well: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Note for the Bannathon:
    With 7 participants, the top 3 scoring decks for this round will be banned.
    So if you want to start brewing for round 11 already, keep that in mind.
    Last edited by Asthereal; 06-20-2019 at 08:41 AM.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Asthereal results for round 10:

1. Asthereal (TO): that's me, sporting the free counterspell in the new set: Snapback, Force of Negation, Crashing Footfalls, Snow-Covered Forest
    2. Wrath of Pie: Despise does nothing. New Force stops your Footfalls. My Footfalls beat Mutavault. 6-0
    3. Whoshim: Snapback Hapatra. You can only Path one Footfalls token. 6-0
    4. H: We both don't play anything, as the one who tries to win will lose. 2-2
    5. GoblinSmashmaster: I can't stop Electrodominance into Balance, so I have to Force your wincon and you kills mine. 2-2
    6. FTW: Actually, this is a rather easy one. I can't stop your guy, you can stop mine. 0-6
    7. Tylert: Still a vulnerable strategy. Force your Vial, Footfalls tokens kill you. 6-0

Total: 22 points
    Last edited by Asthereal; 06-20-2019 at 10:46 AM.

3. Whoshim: Concealed Courtyard, Path to Exile, Hapatra, Vizier of Poisons, Elvish Spirit Guide

1. Asthereal (TO): Snapback, Force of Negation, Crashing Footfalls, Snow-Covered Forest 0-6

2. Wrath of Pie: Blooming Marsh, Mutavault, Crashing Footfalls, Despise 0-6

4. H: Force of Negation, Misthollow Griffin, Pithing Needle, Sand Silos 6-0 You never get to exile the Griffin with Force of Negation.

5. GoblinSmashmaster: Sandstone Needle, Curse of the Pierced Heart, Electrodominance, Restore Balance 0-6

6. FTW: Tundra, Daze, Force of Negation, Student of Warfare 4-1 On the play, I get my 2/2 into play and generate a token with deathtouch. If you ever attack, I can generate another token with deathtouch, so I could swing with one and block with the other. On the draw, you can counter my creature, but then you cannot stop my Path of Exile.

7. Tylert: Chancellor of the Tangle, Aether Vial, Myr Superion, Deputy of Detention 0-6

Me on the draw:

T1: Aether Vial // Hapatra
    T2: Counter on AV // Haptra swings and gets a deathtouch token.
    T3: Counter on AV, drop Myr // Swing with deathtouch token.
    T4: Counter on AV, drop DoD targeting the snake // It does not matter what I Path. We just end up looking at each other doing nothing until you can play Chancellor of the Tangle.

Things go basically the same when I am on the play.

10 points.

Sep 2011

1. Asthereal (TO): OTP or OTD I Force Footfalls and you can't Force back on your own turn. Student gets there. WW 6-0
    2. Wrath of Pie: OTP I play Student. I keep leveling up, Force Footfalls, and outrace Mutavault. OTD you Despise me and I have to Force it or lose to Mutavault. I play Student. You suspend Footfalls. L1. You attack with Mutavault (18). L2 3/3. You stop attacking. L3. Pass. L4. Footfalls resolves. L5. You attack for 8 (10). L6. You attack for 8 (2). L7 4/4 DS. If I hit this earlier I could draw by holding him on defense, but I'm too low in life. WL 3-3
    3. Whoshim: OTP I play Student. I Daze Hapatra. You Path my guy and draw. OTD you play Hapatra. If I play Student, I have to either chump or it dies to Hapatra's trigger before I reach level 2. DL 1-4
    4. H: OTP I play Student. You play tapped Silos. I keep levelling and attacking. If you try to Needle him, I Force it and you can't Force back on your turn. Student outraces Griffin. OTD same thing. WW 6-0
    5. GoblinSmashmaster: OTP I play Student. You play tapped Sandstone. L1 attack. You Curse me. L2 attack. You can Electrodominance on my turn to dodge Force, but I can still Daze the Balance. Student outraces Curse. OTD same thing. WW 6-0
    7. Tylert: OTP or OTD I Force Aether Vial and beatdown with Student. WW 6-0

28 points (9 wins, 1 draw)

GoblinSmashmaster results for round "Surprise, more counterspells":

1. Asthereal (TO): Snapback, Force of Negation, Crashing Footfalls, Snow-Covered Forest
    You counter my wincon 2-2

Balance wins 6-0

Balance wins 6-0

4. H: Force of Negation, Misthollow Griffin, Pithing Needle, Sand Silos
    You counter my wincon 2-2

5. GoblinSmashmaster: Sandstone Needle, Curse of the Pierced Heart, Electrodominance, Restore Balance
    That's me!

You counter Balance 0-6

7. Tylert: Chancellor of the tangle, Aether vial, Myr superion, Deputy of detention
    Balance wins 6-0

Total: 22 points

1. Asthereal (TO): Snapback, Force of Negation, Crashing Footfalls, Snow-Covered Forest LL
    3. Whoshim: Concealed Courtyard, Path to Exile, Hapatra, Vizier of Poisons, Elvish Spirit Guide WW
    4. H: Force of Negation, Misthollow Griffin, Pithing Needle, Sand Silos WW - Despise demands a Force, and I outrace Misthollow Griffin.
    5. GoblinSmashmaster: Sandstone Needle, Curse of the Pierced Heart, Electrodominance, Restore Balance LL - A bit trickier because of suspend, but you can wait it out.
    6. FTW: Tundra, Daze, Force of Negation, Student of Warfare WL - I think Hexdrinker from Modern Horizons is better than Student.
    7. Tylert: Chancellor of the tangle, Aether vial, Myr superion, Deputy of detention DD

5w2d = 17

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

I think Hexdrinker from Modern Horizons is better than Student.
    Tropical Island was already banned, though. So you had to choose between:
    Breeding Pool + Hexdrinker or Tundra + Student of Warfare.
    That doesn't look so clear-cut to me.

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Wtf wizards, new counterspell in between rounds! :)

Tropical Island was already banned, though. So you had to choose between:
    Breeding Pool + Hexdrinker or Tundra + Student of Warfare.
    That doesn't look so clear-cut to me.
    I think Breeding Pool + Hexdrinker is the clear choice, better body is worth the life.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

I think Breeding Pool + Hexdrinker is the clear choice, better body is worth the life.
    Yeah. Maybe. Depends on the decks you expect to see. If you fear a fast flyer, you might just lose the race because of the extra life-loss.

Not saying that you're wrong, by the way. I lean towards Pool and Hexdrinker as well.
    Just saying it depends, and I didn't spend time trying to figure out the current meta.
    I saw the suspend thing giving me two bodies, so I picked that to compensate for losing a card with the new Force.

And I forgot Daze was still legal.

Sep 2011

Hexdrinker wouldn't have won me any games I lost.

Hexdrinker does have some advantages in other matches (the 2nd stage eats 3/4s, 3rd stage eats 5/5s and 6/6s and chumps anything bigger or attacks through anything), but it also reaches the ultimate stage a turn slower and that final stage is a slower clock by 1 turn. Both lose to the rhinos and die to removal or Hapatra's -1/-1.

In a vacuum Hexdrinker is a faster clock by 1 turn (6 turns vs 7), but if it would die attacking as an X/1 then both are 7-turn clocks.

It's a better body overall, but I think the difference is pretty small in this format.

Thread Information