Page 200 of 332 FirstFirst ... 100150190196197198199200201202203204210250300 ... LastLast
Results 3,981 to 4,000 of 6623

Thread: 4 Card Blind

Sep 2011

Re: 4 Card Blind

Quote Originally Posted by dte View Post
    I thought Dark Deal was banned because of dark ritual. There are quite a few cards that do more or less the same that are not banned and that we do know about (e.g. Wistful thinking).
    City of Traitors + Lotus Petal consumes as many cards as Swamp + Dark Ritual. Some previous Dark Deal decks used a sol land instead of ritual.

I thought the idea was to ban the 2 colorless + 1 colored ones like Dark Deal, Wheel of Fortune, Windfall. I guess some slipped through the cracks. For future rounds it doesn't make sense to ban some but not others that are functionally equivalent. Either they should all be legal, or they should all be banned. It's strange that we ban Windfall but not Wistful Thinking, with Thinking being even better.

Barbed Shocker is in a separate tier by costing 4 mana and being vulnerable to blockers/removal. If we've even banned Shocker, I see no reason to keep Wistful Thinking and Induced Amnesia after this round.

Quote Originally Posted by Asthereal View Post
    I wanted to, but there were a few people against it. So I played it to show how good it is.
    Yeah, maybe we should ban Trophy too.

I thought the Elixir ban made more sense because it was harder to replace Elixir than to replace Trophy, but Trophy costing 2 mana instead of 3 is relevant for many decks.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Quote Originally Posted by silkster View Post
    Me: silkster: Swamp, Pyrokinesis, Drill Bit, Chancellor of the Forge

5. jhhdk: Urborg, tomb of Yawgmoth, Forest, Spreading Algae, The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
    I love the moments my brain spends trying to figure out what this is doing. On the play, I Drill the Algae and win easily. On the draw, you lead on Tabernacle and I can't Drill, then you get to cast a few spells to die more slowly. I've always thought that Chancellor of the Force should say "at the beginning of your first upkeep". :( WL, 3 points
    There is the idea of in response to the upkeep of Nacle using Pyrokinesis to kill your own token. That casts a spell for the turn.
    Probably won't help, though, as jhhdk can probably then just Algae his own lands and tap them to have them die and get Algae back.

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    City of Traitors + Lotus Petal consumes as many cards as Swamp + Dark Ritual. Some previous Dark Deal decks used a sol land instead of ritual.

I thought the idea was to ban the 2 colorless + 1 colored ones like Dark Deal, Wheel of Fortune, Windfall. I guess some slipped through the cracks. For future rounds it doesn't make sense to ban some but not others that are functionally equivalent. Either they should all be legal, or they should all be banned. It's strange that we ban Windfall but not Wistful Thinking, with Thinking being even better.

Barbed Shocker is in a separate tier by costing 4 mana and being vulnerable to blockers/removal. If we've even banned Shocker, I see no reason to keep Wistful Thinking and Induced Amnesia after this round.
    These are good points. I am in favour of banning all that X2 discard the full hand cards.
    (Barbed Shocker is also a wincon, so it's not the same, but the ragument is strong enough.)
    Join the 4 Card Blind competition!

PauperSmashmaster Results for Round "Energy Field"

1. Asthereal (TO): Mountain, Golgari Rot Farm, Red Sun's Zenith, Assasin's Trophy
    Goblins smash! 6-0

2. Wrath of Pie: Sheltered Valley, Scrubland, Whitemane Lion, Nezumi Shortfang
    Goblins smash! 6-0

3. GoblinSmashmaster: Lotus Petal, Rite of Flame, Rite of Flame, Empty the Warrens
    That's me, remembering to smash with Goblins!!

4. FTW: City of Traitors, Steel Overseer, Isochron Scepter, Assassin's Trophy
    Goblins smash, then Trophy 3-3

5. jhhdk: Urborg, tomb of Yawgmoth, Forest, Spreading Algae, The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
    Impatient game 3-3

6. dte: City of traitors, Lotus Petal, Hangarback Walker, Induced Amnesia
    Goblins smash, then get amnesia 3-3

7. H: Mountain, Conjurer's Bauble, Conjurer's Bauble, Lightning Bolt
    Goblins smash! 6-0

8. Reeplcheep: Bazaar of Baghdad, Basking rootwalla, Basking rootwalla, Vengevine
    Goblins smash! 6-0

9. Tylert: Force Of Negation, Energy Field, Energy Field, Saprazzan Skerry
    Forcefield 0-6

10. alphastryk: Khalni Garden, Azorius Chancery, Meddling Mage, Sprout Swarm
    Goblins smash! 6-0

11. maxx!: City of Traitors, Isochron Scepter, Lightning Helix, Rakdos Charm
    Rakdos smash :( 0-6

12. Serguei: Force Of Negation, Energy Field, Energy Field, Saprazzan Skerry
    Forcefield 0-6

13. silkster: Swamp, Pyrokinesis, Drill Bit, Chancellor of the Forge
    I have more goblins! 3-3

Total: 42 points
    Last edited by GoblinSmashmaster; 02-24-2021 at 02:01 PM.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by GoblinSmashmaster View Post
    PauperSmashmaster Results for Round "Energy Field"

3. GoblinSmashmaster: Lotus Petal, Rite of Flame, Rite of Flame, Empty the Warrens
    That's me, remembering to smash with Goblins!!

Tabernacle 0-6
    You both agree, but I think you can race the Impatience damage.

You have no lands, so jhhdk needs to Spreading Algae himself to cast any spells and not lose on turn 10. You can cast Petal and pass to skip 1 turn of damage. Then you can stare and eventually skip a 2nd turn of damage whenever you cast Empty. That wins the Impatience race. To be able to Spreading Algae a second time, jhhdk would need to tap and destroy his own Tabernacle the 1st time, which creates an opening for 6 goblins to get through (destroying Urborg or Forest instead turns off Algae).

Edited with Algae on Forest.

T1 J - Land [J=18]
    T1 G - Petal, no damage

T9 J - Do nothing [J=2]
    T9 G - Do nothing [G=4]

T10 J - Spreading Algae Forest to not die. [J=2]
    T10 G - Do nothing [G=2]

T11 J - Tap Forest for G, losing it, Algae on Urborg to not die. [J=2]
    T11 G - Empty for 6 goblins. [G=2]

T12 J - Can't Algae again. Dead.

--------------

With jhhdk OTD

T9 G - Do nothing [G=4]
    T9 J - Do nothing [J=2]

T10 G - Do nothing [G=2]
    T10 J - Spreading Algae Forest to not die. [J=2]

T11 G - Empty for 6 to not die. [G=2]
    T11 J - Tap Forest for G, losing it, Algae on Urborg to not die. [J=2]

T12 G - Can't pay Taberacle upkeep, goblins die, Impatience kills

WL 3-3

Both can stall 2 turns. Whoever goes first loses.

Feb 2014

OTD jhhdk can avoid two impatience triggers without losing tabernacle to win: cast on forest, next turn tap forest for g, enchant urbog or tabernacle. Should be 3-3.

maxx!: City of Traitors, Isochron Scepter, Lightning Helix, Rakdos Charm

1. Asthereal (TO): Mountain, Golgari Rot Farm, Red Sun's Zenith, Assasin's Trophy
    I should have played Trophy over Charm, haha. I can't stop you from blowing up my Scepter, and I don't have a way to stop RSZ. 0-6

Imprinting Helix should be enough OTP and OTD. Even OTD, I can Helix Shortfang before you can activate it. 6-0

Rakdos Charm coming through in a weird way.
    OTD
    GS: 8 Goblins
    m!: Scepter
    GS: Attack for 8 (m: 12, G: 18)
    m!: Charm you (m: 12, G: 10)
    GS: Attack for 8 (m: 4, G: 8)
    m!: Charm you (m: 4, G: 0)
    I think Lightning Helix probably gets there too, but let's stick with Rakdos Charm because it's simpler and funnier.

OTP I can imprint Rakdos Charm to destroy your Scepter before you activate it, and your Overseer whenever you play it. Then I just keep casting Charm in one of the other modes while Impatience kills you. OTD you can imprint Trophy and catch my Scepter before I can activate it, then kill me with Steel Overseer plus Impatience damage. 3-3

This is a weird one. Helix being a 6 point swing might be enough. Math below. 6-0

OTP I can make a Scepter with Helix and you can't beat that. OTD you dump my hand and then race me by having a 1/1. 3-3

Helix every turn is way faster than this. 6-0

8. Reeplcheep: Bazaar of Baghdad, Basking rootwalla, Basking rootwalla, Vengevine
    Very fortunate for me that Vengevine has 3 toughness. Helix gets me there. This deck is super cool though. 6-0

Is the round rule a "source"? I assume it is for the sake of this deck, but I really don't know. Even if it isn't, I lose this one. FoN counters Scepter, and then Impatience kills me. 0-6
    OTP I can't beat FoN. OTD I can sit and do nothing until you play Energy Field, then play Scepter on my turn. If you FoN, you lose both fields and Impatience kills you, so you let it resolve. Then I activate it every turn and nobody ever dies. 1-4

Yep, definitely should've played Assassin's Trophy over Rakdos Charm. For a second I thought that OTD I could maybe slowroll and wait until after you cast Mage to play my Scepter (and imprint the other card), but you can just wait until you're at 2 and play Swarm with no buyback, then I have to play Scepter or I'll die, then you can play Mage. 0-6

This is me : ]

Seriously? lmao 0-6
    OTP I can't beat FoN. OTD I can sit and do nothing until you play Energy Field, then play Scepter on my turn. If you FoN, you lose both fields and Impatience kills you, so you let it resolve. Then I activate it every turn and nobody ever dies. 1-4

OTP I make Scepter with Helix and that's more than enough. OTD your Goblin hits me to enable Drill Bit and take my Scepter. 3-3

0+6+6+3+6+3+6+6+1+0+1+3 = 41

I think Trophy over Charm would've been 12 extra points. I wanted to beat other Scepter decks at least OTP (only 1???), so I searched for "destroy target artifact" and competely forgot about Assassin's Trophy, haha.

vs jhhdk (OTD)
    j: Forest
    m: Imprint Helix
    j: Urborg, Algae my City
    m: Helix you (m: 23, j: 17)
    j: Tabernacle, Algae Tabernacle, tap it for B
    m: 21
    j: Algae on Forest
    m: 19
    j: Tap Forest for G, Algae on Urborg
    m: 17
    j: 15
    I win this race.
    Last edited by maxx!; 02-24-2021 at 07:36 PM.

Sep 2011

That's me. Can't believe I'm the only one playing Zenith. It's such an obvious choice.

I start with Mountain, Zenith for 0. You can counter, but I'll then have Trophy for your remaining Energy Field and I'll have cast spells on two of my turns and you on just one, so I would win. So you have to let it resolve. You play Skerry and go to 18. Turn 2 I play Zenith for 0 again. Resolves again. Then I play Farm and bounce Mountain. You untap and drop Field. I play Mountain and cast Trophy on your land. If you counter it, you lose Field and die. If you let it resolve, you lose Field and your mana source and still lose as I'm higher in life. 6-0
    You make a good point. Their deck has a critical flaw. If we slow roll and wait for them to play Energy Field first, then they can't cast FoN without losing Energy Field protection and dying to Impatience or another threat.

FTW vs Tylert
    F: City. Overseer
    T: Tapped Skerry [T=18]

F: Cast nothing. Overseer 2/2 [F=18]

Overseer threatens to win the race, so Tylert/Serguei must play Energy Field either now or later to avoid death.

T: Energy Field
    F: Isochron Scepter. FoN counters it, but this breaks Energy Field. Attack with Overseer & miss an impatience trigger
    Then Overseer gets there FTW

I should win OTD too.
    Overseer forces Energy Field to come down, then Scepter makes FoN break the Field, then Overseer wins.

WW 6-0 instead of 0-6
    Changing my results

You still beat maxx!, who doesn't have a 2nd threat to do the same thing
    dte also can't slow roll because Amnesia is useless after Energy Field is out

You still beat maxx!, who doesn't have a 2nd threat to do the same thing
    Actually doesn't this change whenever the Energy Field player goes first? If nobody ever acts, the player who goes first loses to Impatience. This forces Energy Field to be played, and then FoN is offline. When I'm OTD, I could wait until Energy Field is in play, then play Scepter, and then use the Scepter every turn to never die. It's not a win, but I'll take 1-4 over 0-6.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by maxx! View Post
    Actually doesn't this change whenever the Energy Field player goes first? If nobody ever acts, the player who goes first loses to Impatience. This forces Energy Field to be played, and then FoN is offline. When I'm OTD, I could wait until Energy Field is in play, then play Scepter, and then use the Scepter every turn to never die. It's not a win, but I'll take 1-4 over 0-6.
    Good point. OTD you don't need a threat, they still have to play Energy Field first. 1-4 by casting infinite do-nothing spells.

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

Attempt at my result for this round. I didn't put a ton of effort in this time and it shows.

Trophy beats my lands. LL

0-6

I don't think I can win the race here, Sprout Swarm is pretty slow. LL

0-6

Get smashed by Goblins. LL

0-6

Trophy beats my lands. LL

0-6

Tabernacle makes Swarm pretty bad, but I can Meddling Mage Algae and pay to keep my 2/2 and that should be enough to race. WW

6-0

I see there is a "discard your hand" that we missed. LL

0-6

Meddling Mage naming Lightning Bolt. WW

6-0

Fast kill I can't interact with. LL

0-6

I can't interact with Energy Field. LL

0-6

This is me

Meddling Mage works well against Scepter. WW

6-0

0-6

Drill Bit takes my Mage, and Pyrokinesis stops the convoke parade. LL

0-6

Total: 18 points, all from Meddling Mage. The other 3 cards in my deck should have been other things.

Quote Originally Posted by alphastryk View Post

0-6

0-6
    Don't need to, they have to cast Energy Field (otherwise you name it for Meddling Mage) which means they can't Force Sprout Swarm which you eventually cast with buyback on each of your turns, avoiding damage from the round trigger.

I start with Mountain, Zenith for 0. You can counter, but I'll then have Trophy for your remaining Energy Field and I'll have cast spells on two of my turns and you on just one, so I would win. So you have to let it resolve. You play Skerry and go to 18. Turn 2 I play Zenith for 0 again. Resolves again. Then I play Farm and bounce Mountain. You untap and drop Field. I play Mountain and cast Trophy on your land. If you counter it, you lose Field and die. If you let it resolve, you lose Field and your mana source and still lose as I'm higher in life. 6-0
    LL 0pts

LL cannothandle withnezumi

WW you cannot interact withfield
    6 pts

cannot handle scepter and overseer LL
    0pts

Quote Originally Posted by jhhdk View Post
    WW 6pts

0-6. This again!
    WW 6 pts

I cannot interact with your loop and youcannot interactenergy field DD 2pts

You cannotinteract withenrgy field WW6 pts

Miror DD 2pts

You cannot interact with field but once youhave MM on Fon You can boucle with your buyback spell each turn
    DD 2pts

Quote Originally Posted by maxx! View Post
    In fact this is still a WW for me

When I am OTD you have to play something first and I will be able to FoN then to slam field

When I am OTP it changes something. SO go into the future :)
    T10 I have to play some otherwise I die from the impatience triggers. So I play a field not to die

At your turn you have to play scepter exiling Helix as well not to die.

T11 I do nothing. The impatience damages are prevented by Field.
    At your turn, you have activate scepter and try to copy Helix to gain enough life to compensate the Impatience triggers. At this Moment I can FoN the copy. I have to sac my Filed which is in play.
    At the end of your turn you are dying by the impatience trigger, because scepter does not cast the spell but just copy it ;)

WW 6pts

Quote Originally Posted by silkster View Post
    Oh man, I'm actually kinda close to beating this, but I need to Drill after you play a Field, but Field stops spectacle. LL, 0 points
    WW 6pts

42 pts

Feb 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Serguei View Post
    At the end of your turn you are dying by the impatience trigger, because scepter does not cast the spell but just copy it ;)
    Actually I think the scepter cast the copy, and it is considered a spell. A bit weird, but that's why scepter was so good in this round.

Ok maybe Trophy should be banned. It just won the last 3 rounds.
    and actually the best trophy deck was not even played.
    Something like forest, lotus petal, serene remembrance, assassin's trophy would have scored 69.

Actually I think the scepter cast the copy, and it is considered a spell. A bit weird, but that's why scepter was so good in this round.
    It says that right on the card.

While in the process of repressing memory of this round I am thinking about rounds to come.
    With regards to Turtle up round

OTP:
    P1:
    P2:
    P1:
    P2:
    P1:
    P2: <--- this is where the party starts?

Sep 2011

Isochron Scepter: "you may cast the copy without paying its mana cost".

Should be WD vs maxx! for the Energy Field decks

and actually the best trophy deck was not even played.
    Something like forest, lotus petal, serene remembrance, assassin's trophy would have scored 69.
    LL vs Empty (8 goblins too fast - I needed to both block & Trophy every turn to barely squeak by OTP)
    LL vs Amnesia (OTP holding up Trophy for Amnesia leaves Serene exiled forever, then impatience kills)

Doesn't score quite that much. Scepter-Trophy only got 4 losses too. That is great tech for impatience though and wins the Trophy mirrors.
    Last edited by FTW; 02-26-2021 at 02:50 AM.

Feb 2014

LL vs Empty (8 goblins too fast - I needed to both block & Trophy every turn to barely squeak by OTP)
    LL vs Amnesia (OTP holding up Trophy for Amnesia leaves Serene exiled forever, then impatience kills)

Doesn't score quite that much. Scepter-Trophy only got 4 losses too. That is great tech for impatience though and wins the Trophy mirrors.
    I looked it up from the point of view of the Amnesia player, so in my limited view it was "run over all but gobbos ;) "

Sep 2011

I think the only outstanding result now is Reeplcheep vs H.
    H can Bolt Vengevine, Bauble-Bolt a Rootwalla, then loop Baubles to have impatience (2 dmg) race the last 1/1. WW for H

@alphastryk: 18 points is for T3 Mage too. Looks like just going all-in on Meddling Mage would have been at least 45 points, maybe more depending on the 4th card. Tempo > plant tokens

@jhhdk: That's my understanding of the Turtle Up round.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

I think the only outstanding result now is Reeplcheep vs H.
    H can Bolt Vengevine, Bauble-Bolt a Rootwalla, then loop Baubles to have impatience (2 dmg) race the last 1/1. WW for H

@alphastryk: 18 points is for T3 Mage too. Looks like just going all-in on Meddling Mage would have been at least 45 points, maybe more depending on the 4th card. Tempo > plant tokens

@jhhdk: That's my understanding of the Turtle Up round.
    Yes, Turtle Up turns are counted like when time after a round is called.
    One turn per player is counted as one. Me, you, me, you, me, and we're off.

On another note:
    Anyone opposed to banning all cards that cost 3 or less mana that make you discard your entire hand?
    I'd like to ban the individual cards, in case someone forgets to check the general bannings.

So these would go:
    Induced Amnesia
    Wistful Thinking

Which ones am I forgetting about?
    Join the 4 Card Blind competition!

Sep 2011

The ones I can think of are banned:
    Windfall
    Wheel of Fortune
    Dark Deal
    Wistful Thinking
    Induced Amnesia
    Barbed Shocker
    Burning Inquiry
    Delirium Skeins

I think it's fine to keep stuff like Wheel and Deal and Mind Twist and Identity Crisis because the extra mana cost is prohibitive in most formats, and the other formats have a ton of other overpowered stuff too.

I also think it's fine to keep Shocker because it needs a haste enabler or only hits on turn 2, and it dies to anything that stops a 1/1, so it doesn't seem oppressive. It saw 0 play in 24 seasons of Pauper-Peasant. However I have no objection to its banning.

There's also Parallax Nexus. However this is temporary. The cards come back, unless there's some other slower convoluted enabling.

Thread Information