Page 107 of 332 FirstFirst ... 75797103104105106107108109110111117157207 ... LastLast
Results 2,121 to 2,140 of 6623

Thread: 4 Card Blind

Sep 2011

Re: 4 Card Blind

8. FTW: Bayou, Duress, Evil Presence, Hexdrinker

I got punished hard for forgetting about Crashing Footfalls. Using that over Hexdrinker 6-0s the Trophy matchup, 6-0s Archangel, and avoids losing to Silkster.

1. Asthereal (TO): OTP and OTD I Duress Elixir, breaking the loop. Then I Evil Presence one of your lands, turning off Village. You Trophy my creature to draw. DD 2-2
    2. GoblinSmashmaster: OTP I Duress you, taking Force. Then I Evil Presence Karakas and Hexdrinker wins. OTD if you play out Judge's Familiar, you could sac it to counter Duress, but then you don't have a blue card to pitch to Force to stop Evil Presence on Karakas. If you hold back the Familiar, Duress trades with Force anyway and Evil Presence locks out Karakas. If you play the Familiar and hold back Leyline, I just win with Hexdrinker normally. WW 6-0
    3. Tylert: See above. DD 2-2
    4. alphastryk: See above. DD 2-2
    5. Wrath of Pie: OTP I can Duress either Lotus Petal or Skeins to stop you. OTD you lock me out first. WL 3-3
    6. Moosedog: OTP I Duress Chalice. Then if you play a Tomb, I Evil Presence it and you never get to cast TKS. OTD you play Chalice @ 1 and my hand is dead. WL 3-3
    7. silkster: OTD I Duress Crashing Footfalls and you can Restore Balance me to draw. OTD after your first play I can Evil Presence your land to shut off your other spells. If you Duress Evil Presence, I Duress Footfalls back to draw. Instead you can just aggro me out by suspending Footfalls first. Hexdrinker can't reach 6/6 fast enough to stabilize.
    DL 1-4
    9. H: OTP I Duress LED or Rites and win. OTD you play Archangel first and it absorbs all the damage. WL 3-3

22 points (5 wins, 7 draws)

Edit: Silkster match changed from DD to DL. I forgot you can aggro out Footfalls, treating Balance as a dead card, and that races Hexdrinker by 1 turn.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Asthereal View Post
    1. Asthereal (TO): Golgari Rot Farm, Treetop Village, Assassin's Trophy, Elixir of Immortality
    2. GoblinSmashmaster: Leyline of Singularity, Karakas, Judge's Familiar, Force of Negation
    I'll play Elixir first. If you counter it, I'll just Trophy Karakas and Village will win it. But if you don't, Elixir will reshuffle Trophy anyway, so you can't stop it anyway. 6-0
    If he Forces Trophy it gets exiled so you can't reshuffle it....
    But you could Trophy on his turn to dodge Force, so he has to exile the Elixir anyway

7. silkster: Gemstone Mine, Duress, Crashing Footfalls, Restore Balance
    I can keep mana open and activate Elixir after Balance resolves. Unless you make me discard Elixir before I cast it, in which case I just lose. So you do that. 0-6
    I think you might be able to draw both.
    Due to the different suspend costs on his cards, he has to suspend Balance at least 2 turns before suspending Footfalls, otherwise he kills his own Rhinos. That buys you tempo to either destroy his land first (if he Duresses Elixir) or Elixir loop (if he Duresses Trophy).

OTP
    A: Village
    S: Duress Elixir

A: Rot Farm
    S: Suspend Footfalls (If he suspends Balance, you Trophy his land and he can never cast Footfalls = draw)

A: Turn 5 is too early to attack. Pass
    S: 3 time counters (If he suspends Balance now, it will just kill his Rhinos, so Balance is dead)

A: Attack with Village [S=17]
    S: 2 time counters

A: Attack with Village [S=14]
    S: 1 time counter

A: Attack with Village [S=11]
    S: Rhinos

A: Trophy a Rhino
    S: Hold other Rhino on defense (he needs 5 hits to kill, and you need 4, so he loses the race)
    Draw

OTD
    S: Duress your Elixir
    A: Tapped Village

S: Suspend Footfalls, 4 counters. (If he suspends Balance with 6 counters, he has to wait 2 turns to suspend Footfalls to avoid losing Rhinos to his own Balance, and then you can Trophy him off Green mana first to draw)

S: 3 time counters (If he suspends Balance now, it will just kill his Rhinos, so Balance is dead)
    A: Turn 6. Attack with Village [S=17]

S: Hold other Rhino on defense (Again he needs 5 hits to kill, and you need 4)
    Draw

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    Due to the different suspend costs on his cards, he has to suspend Balance at least 2 turns before suspending Footfalls, otherwise he kills his own Rhinos. That buys you tempo to either destroy his land first (if he Duresses Elixir) or Elixir loop (if he Duresses Trophy).

OTP
    A: Village
    S: Duress Elixir

S: Suspend Footfalls (If he suspends Balance, you Trophy his land and he can never cast Footfalls = draw)

A: Turn 5 is too early to attack. Pass

A: Attack with Village [S=17]

S: Hold other Rhino on defense (he needs 5 hits to kill, and you need 4, so he loses the race)
    Draw

OTD

S: Suspend Footfalls, 4 counters. (If he suspends Balance with 6 counters, he has to wait 2 turns to suspend Footfalls to avoid losing Rhinos to his own Balance, and then you can Trophy him off Green mana first to draw)

Draw
    Right, I forgot he needs to suspend Balance first and wait before he can suspend Footfalls.
    This is so limiting that he'll end up either not using Balance at all, or using it to force the draw.

Two draws it is, then.
    Join the 4 Card Blind competition!

JediSmashmaster Results for Round: Regular Legacy

1. Asthereal (TO): Golgari Rot Farm, Treetop Village, Assassin's Trophy, Elixir of Immortality
    Your creature is a land 0-6

2. GoblinSmashmaster: Leyline of Singularity, Karakas, Judge's Familiar, Force of Negation
    That's me!

3. Tylert: Golgari Rot Farm, Treetop Village, Assassin's Trophy, Elixir of Immortality

4. alphastryk: Golgari Rot Farm, Treetop Village, Assassin's Trophy, Elixir of Immortality

5. Wrath of Pie: City of Traitors, Lotus Petal, Delirium Skeins, Nether Spirit
    I use the Force 6-0

6. Moosedog: Ancient tomb, Ancient tomb, Chalice of the void, Thought-knot seer
    Your creature is not a land 4-1

7. silkster: Gemstone Mine, Duress, Crashing Footfalls, Restore Balance
    I use the Force 2-2

Land destruction 0-6

9. H: Lion's Eye Diamond, Plains, Unburial Rites, Empyrial Archangel
    I use the Force 6-0

Total points: 18

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

This round was indeed not nearly as fun as I had hoped.
    But that's okay. We're trying something new here. It was always going to be hit or miss.

Preliminary standings for round 5

Rank. Player: Score - SP:
    1. Moosedog: 31 - 3,9
    2. Wrath of Pie: 30 - 3,8
    2. silkster: 30 - 3,8
    4. FTW: 22 - 2,8
    5. alphastryk: 18 - 2,3
    6. Asthereal (TO): 17 - 2,3
    6. GoblinSmashmaster: 17 - 2,3
    6. Tylert: 17 - 2,3
    9. H: 15 - 1,9

Which leads to these standings in the season:
    1. FTW: 19,9
    2. Moosedog: 17,5
    3. Wrath of Pie: 16,8
    4. Asthereal (TO): 15,2
    5. Tylert: 13,4
    6. alphastryk: 11,1
    7. silkster: 9,8
    8. GoblinSmashmaster: 8,8
    9. H: 7,1

EDIT: silkster scores 4-1 against the Elixir-Trophy decks.

Quote Originally Posted by Asthereal View Post
    Asthereal's scores for round 5, "Take Five":

That's me, with a rather unoriginal entry.
    I'll play Elixir first. If you counter it, I'll just Trophy Karakas and Village will win it. But if you don't, Elixir will reshuffle Trophy anyway, so you can't stop it anyway. 6-0

Presence is fun, but doesn't stop me from casting my stuff. Duress my Elixir, I Trophy Hex FTD. Duress Trophy? I Elixir it back and still use it to kill Hex FTD. Looks like a 2-2.
    I think your GoblinSmashmaster match is actually a draw. Force of Negation exiles the Trophy, while Karakas+Leyline keeps the Village at bay.

If Duress hits Trophy, you Elixir it back to kill Hex, then you Elixir it back to kill Evil Presence for the win. Of course, that just means that Duress will hit your Elixir and it's a draw anyway.

Edit: and I see now that FTW already pointed this out and pointed out that Force of Negation can only be pitch-cast on the opponent's turn. That card has so many nuances to it. I manage to remember the exile part, but I keep forgetting the turn restriction.

OTD

Draw
    I have the details in my post, but on my play I can sequence Balance -> Duress Elixir -> Rhinos, and I choose the order they happen in on my 7th turn.

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

Quote Originally Posted by silkster View Post
    I think your GoblinSmashmaster match is actually a draw. Force of Negation exiles the Trophy, while Karakas+Leyline keeps the Village at bay.

If Duress hits Trophy, you Elixir it back to kill Hex, then you Elixir it back to kill Evil Presence for the win. Of course, that just means that Duress will hit your Elixir and it's a draw anyway.
    The Karakas / Leyline combo doesn't handle lands, as leyline only makes non lands legendary.

Quote Originally Posted by alphastryk View Post
    The Karakas / Leyline combo doesn't handle lands, as leyline only makes non lands legendary.
    Thanks. I should have looked closer. I even re-read Karakas cause I was confused about the land versus non-land part. My bad. This game is hard.

9. H: OTP I Duress LED or Rites and win. OTD you play Archangel first and it absorbs all the damage. WL 3-3
    Duress on LED is still a win so the outcome is unchanged, but Duress on Rites does not go well. :)

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Quote Originally Posted by silkster View Post
    I have the details in my post, but on my play I can sequence Balance -> Duress Elixir -> Rhinos, and I choose the order they happen in on my 7th turn.
    That does seem to work. I don't see anything else, so I'll edit the results to 1-4.

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

I'll thank asthereal and other contributors for the results of my boring deck...
    I sent it early to asthereal saying it was a placeholder before submitting my real deck and then... i forgot as i was burried into work...
    SOrry about the clear uninspired submition :) (But It was a slow round, so a slow deck could make it!!)

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Quote Originally Posted by Tylert View Post
    I'll thank asthereal and other contributors for the results of my boring deck...
    I sent it early to asthereal saying it was a placeholder before submitting my real deck and then... i forgot as i was burried into work...
    SOrry about the clear uninspired submition :) (But It was a slow round, so a slow deck could make it!!)
    Judging from the fact that two more people played the exact same 4 cards, I'd say it wasn't such a strange entry.

r/threecardblind has an interesting variant this week.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Slight banning update
    So, Wrath made it abundantly clear I had forgotten to ban a card.
    Also, a little search gave me another card that might deserve a ban.
    So henceforth shall be banned: Delirium Skeins and Mind Rake.
    See the second post or our Google Spreadsheet for more bannings.

Anyway, with that out of the way, let's fire up another round!

ROUND 6 of SEASON 6: DEVIANT LEGACY has started.

This round we will play Deja vu - All spells can be cast from graveyards as well. If you do, the card gains "if this card would be put in a graveyard, exile it instead". (NB. This is a replacement effect.)
    Additional bannings: Dark Ritual, Lion's Eye Diamond, all cards that have or use the "storm" mechanic.
    Please note that "suspend" can't happen from the graveyard (it says "from your hand" in its wording). Would be s(ad/illy) if someone missed that detail.

I have PM'ed myself my deck for round 6, so you can start sending me your decks.

DEADLINE: Wednesday the 13th of May, at 11:00AM Central European Time.
    (That's my time zone. Pacific Time it'll probably be something like Tuesday night a bit past midnight, so keep that in mind.)

PLEASE NOTE:
    The way you send your deck to me matters. Please send it in the way described below, so it doesn't cost me an hour of editing before I can post all the decks.
    Please send your deck as follows: Mountain, Goblin Guide, Mogg Fanatic, Lightning Bolt.
    So with card tags around each card, and not above eachother, and with your Username and 4CB S06R06 in the topic.
    Don't forget to keep an eye on the banned list. You'll find it in the second post of the thread, or in our Google Spreadsheet.

After the deadline has passed, I will post all decks on the forum here, and you can start puzzling out your scores.
    If you have any questions, please read the first two posts of this thread first. If you can't find the answer there, drop a message here. We'll answer a.s.a.p.

Also, if you've been lurking on this thread and looking to join, you can step in anytime, any round. That's no problem at all. Just send me your deck before the deadline, and I'll add you to the competition.

Happy deck designing everybody!
    Last edited by Asthereal; 05-09-2020 at 01:15 PM.

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

I'm sure I'm missing something else cool to do, but I honestly couldn't even come up with great storm decks so I'm not sure we need to ban those. LED is pretty dangerous for sure though.

I'm sure I'm missing something else cool to do, but I honestly couldn't even come up with great storm decks so I'm not sure we need to ban those. LED is pretty dangerous for sure though.
    Pretty sure Tendrils would kill turn 1 with it and LED legal, thanks to the power of Lotus Petal.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Cast Tendrils from hand, then cast Tendrils from graveyard?
    The longer I thought about Storm, the better it got, so I decided to just ban all of it for this round.

EDIT: An avid reader pointed out to me that the current wording for Deja Vu leaves room for discussion.
    The idea is that you can only use it once from the graveyard once, and not stack exile triggers infinitely. That would be silly.
    So: The exiling of the card becomes part of the resolution with instants and sorceries, and it becomes a triggered ability with "split second" for permanents.

EDIT2: Another even avider reader pointed out that a replacement effect would work even better, so I turned it into a replacement effect.
    Instead. I turned it into a replacement effect instead.
    Last edited by Asthereal; 05-09-2020 at 01:17 PM.

Sep 2011

"if this card would be put in a graveyard, exile it instead".

If you make it a replacement effect it should be safe.

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

Quote Originally Posted by Wrath of Pie View Post
    Pretty sure Tendrils would kill turn 1 with it and LED legal, thanks to the power of Lotus Petal.
    Yes, its a turn 1 kill, but loses to discard, graveyard hate (which I would expect a lot of), or a free counter. And if we've already banned Dark Ritual and LED, there's not really good ways to get enough mana (since getting enough storm requires casting Tendrils twice). I've got no issues leaving it banned though if thats the route we're going.

(I will post some theoretical decks here though)

Honestly, thats how I was already reading this - seems like the safest option.

Also worth noting that as written, lands cannot be played from the graveyard, only spells since its worded as "cast".

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

I knew there'd be a better way to word this. Thanks.

Thread Information