Page 90 of 332 FirstFirst ... 4080868788899091929394100140190 ... LastLast
Results 1,781 to 1,800 of 6623

Thread: 4 Card Blind

Sep 2011

Re: 4 Card Blind

2. FTW: Lotus Bloom, Electrodominance, Restore Balance, Keldon Halberdier

1. Asthereal (TO): Seal stops Halberdier but Balance still does its thing. DD 2-2
    3. Moosedog: Turn 4 Lotus Bloom resolves. Suspend Keldon for R and cast Electrodominance X=0, which casts Balance. You lose all your lands and cards in hand, then Keldon resolves long after Blast Zone is gone. WW 6-0
    4. Wrath of Pie: Turn 4 Balance. WW 6-0
    5. H: Turn 4 Balance. WW 6-0

20 points (6 wins, 2 draws)

@Moosedog: Welcome! Your all-land deck would be very strong in some metas, just bad timing this was the round I played Balance.dec.

@Asthereal: I was waiting for double-discard Cry of Contrition to get banned before submitting this, but unfortunately you had Gargadon axed since round 1 so I had to use the little 4/1. Maybe you were expecting Barren Glory instead? That was also dangerous with Cry banned.
    Last edited by FTW; 02-19-2020 at 09:35 PM.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Wrath of Pie View Post
    vs. Moosedog my best bet is to force him to use Blast Zone while Evil Presence is in my hand, which should be doable with Cruel Sadist alone (Stromkirk does not grow fast enough by itself), then I should have enough life that I can Evil Presence the storage land, limiting him to Treetop Village attacks while I attack with Stromkirk twice to make it a 3/3 so I can trade.
    1w4d = 7 points
    If you Evil Presence the Treetop Village instead, he doesn't have green mana to activate the other manland.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    If you Evil Presence the Treetop Village instead, he doesn't have green mana to activate the other manland.
    But it'll still make mana, so activating Blast Zone for one and killing Presence along with it is still an option.

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    Well, that would work if the land activated was the Treetop, but if it is the Lumbering Falls, I can't Path that, it has Hexproof. It does take more time, but Hierarch is a 20-turn clock.

Another option might be to play Student and up it to have First Strike. Then there is no good block, so Blast Zone is the only option. Now the question would remain can the Lumbering Falls race the Hierarch from there.

This is actually a rather complex scenario, maybe even worse than Bitterblossom math, haha.
    Oh snap. That's a sharp one. We'll need to look into this.
    Maybe indeed all you have is the draws, as him activating Falls can only happen every four or so turns, so he might not be able to use it proactively.
    Join the 4 Card Blind competition!

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

For those who already want to start looking at a deck for round 7, these cards will get the axe:
    Lotus Bloom, Electrodominance, Restore Balance and Keldon Halberdier.
    Nice deck, FTW. And good riddance, because this deck invalidates many strategies.

Standings for round 6 are as follows:
    (Rank. Player: Score - SP)
    1. FTW: 20 - 5
    2. H: 12 - 3
    2. Moosedog: 12 - 3
    4. Wrath of Pie: 9 - 2,3
    5. Asthereal (TO): 5 - 1,3

EDIT: FTW came up with a winning line OTD for Wrath against Moosedog, and I don't see a defense, so Wrath surpasses MD.
    EDIT2: All scores should be final now.
    Last edited by Asthereal; 02-21-2020 at 02:59 PM.

Site Contributor

Jul 2009
    Philadelphia, PA

3. Moosedog: Blast Zone, Lumbering falls, Calciform pools, Treetop Village

1. Asthereal (TO): Copperline Gorge, Hexdrinker, Seal of Fire, Nature's Claim
    Blast zone removes threat and I can swing in leisurely. WW
    2. FTW: Lotus Bloom, Electrodominance, Restore Balance, Keldon Halberdier
    Balance, well played, ha. LL
    4. Wrath of Pie: Blackcleave Cliffs, Evil Presence, Stromkirk Noble, Cruel Sadist
    I believe you will force me to use blast zone on just one of your guys, and then you can time the presence to mess with my manlands and I can’t win the race.
    5. H: Temple Garden, Noble Hierarch, Student of Warfare, Path to Exile
    I believe there’s a line where you lead with student and make me use blast zone on just the student. Then I sit behind hexproof, but we need to check my life total to see if I could win the race, but I believe it’s either a WW for me or DD. Should have time to run through it this afternoon.

Edit: Please bear with me, I'm figuring out card tags.
    Last edited by Moosedog; 02-20-2020 at 12:51 PM.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Asthereal View Post
    But it'll still make mana, so activating Blast Zone for one and killing Presence along with it is still an option.
    Wrath's proposed line was:
    1) Use Cruel Sadist to grow big enough to stop the manlands and threaten to win, baiting Blast Zone to blow
    2) Then Evil Presence the storage land, turning off Lumbering Falls
    3) Then cast Stromkirk Noble and force a draw with Treetop Village

If he can in fact use Cruel Sadist to bait Blast Zone, then he could use Evil Presence to shut off BOTH manlands due to the lack of green sources, then win with Stromkirk Noble.

If Cruel Sadist can't threaten to win (due to life loss) but only to hold off the manlands as a 4/4, then Moosedog could choose not to activate Blast Zone and lead to a stalemate for the draw.

Edit: Wrath has the win here. He just didn't realize he could shut off both manlands at once because the storage land can't produce green mana.
    Cruel Sadist math below

Wrath vs Moose, Wrath OTD

M - Tapped Falls
    W - Sadist

M - Tapped Village
    W - Grow to 2/2 [W=19]

M - Pools. Attack with 3/3 Village [W=16] (pressuring life is the best way to stop Cruel Sadist from threatening the win)
    W - Leave Sadist untapped.

Now if Moose attacks with Village again, Wrath can block and grow to 3/3, trading Sadist with Village, taking Moose off green mana for Lumbering Falls. That also leaves Moose too tapped out to activate Blast Zone. Wrath untaps to Evil Presence the Blast Zone or storage land (whatever was in play to activate Treetop), either play disabling Blast Zone, then win with Stromkirk. Therefore Moose can't trade with Sadist and has to stop attacking.

M - Blast Zone. Go. EOT Sadist grows to 3/3 [W=15]
    W - Pass with Sadist untapped. EOT Pools gets 1 counter

M - Can't attack. Pass. EOT Sadist grows to 4/4 [W=14]
    W - Pass with Sadist untapped. EOT Pools @ 2 counters

M - Pass. EOT Sadist grows to 5/5 [W=13]
    W - Pass. EOT Pools @ 3 counters

M - Pass. EOT Sadist grows to 6/6 [W=12]
    W - Pass. EOT Pools @ 4 counters

M - Pass. EOT Sadist grows to 7/7 [W=11]
    W - Pass. EOT Pools @ 5 counters

M - Pass. EOT Sadist grows to 8/8 [W=10]
    W - Pass. EOT Pools @ 6 counters

M - Pass. EOT Sadist grows to 9/9 [W=9]
    W - Pass. EOT Pools @ 7 counters

M - Pass. EOT Sadist grows to 10/10 [W=8]
    W - Attack with 10/10 Sadist.

Moose can't race. 10/10 kills him from 20 life faster than 3/3 can attack 8 life.
    Chumping with a manland loses. It loses a green source and taps him out, then postcombat Wrath Evils Presences the Blast Zone or storage land. Sadist wins.
    Therefore Moose has to use Blast Zone. He could sneak in more damage first but it's not enough.

W - Attack with 10/10 Sadist. He takes 10. [M=10]
    M - Remove 4 storage counters. Activate Blast Zone to kill Sadist, then activate Treetop Village and attack [W=5]

W - Evil Presence the Treetop Village. Both manlands are shut down.
    M - Pass

W - Stromkirk Noble FTW.

That was OTD. Wrath should win OTP too.

WW for Wrath.

Leave it to me to forget that Calciform Pools does not produce green.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Leave it to me to forget that Calciform Pools does not produce green.
    It happens. I forgot the fact that humans can't block Stromkirk Noble twice.

Anyway, I adjusted the rankings. If all else stays the same I'll enter everything in the season standings and open round 7.
    My deck for round 7 is almost ready.

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    Well, that would work if the land activated was the Treetop, but if it is the Lumbering Falls, I can't Path that, it has Hexproof. It does take more time, but Hierarch is a 20-turn clock.

Another option might be to play Student and up it to have First Strike. Then there is no good block, so Blast Zone is the only option. Now the question would remain can the Lumbering Falls race the Hierarch from there.

This is actually a rather complex scenario, maybe even worse than Bitterblossom math, haha.
    Lumbering Falls beatdown is a problem for you, because even though it is slow it should make it win the race because Calciform Pools can build up as many storage counters as it needs to be able to activate Lumbering Falls six or seven turns in a row, while threatening to block Hierarch at a certain point. Looks like LL for you, unfortunately.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Lumbering Falls beatdown is a problem for you, because even though it is slow it should make it win the race because Calciform Pools can build up as many storage counters as it needs to be able to activate Lumbering Falls six or seven turns in a row, while threatening to block Hierarch at a certain point. Looks like LL for you, unfortunately.
    Looks correct. H and Moosedog agree?

Site Contributor

Jul 2009
    Philadelphia, PA

Yes. I have it

Asthereal WW
    FTW: LL
    Wrath of Pie: LL
    H: WW

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Looks correct. H and Moosedog agree?
    Sorry, I've been at a funeral all day.

I'm still not sure about the math, since I think the earliest he could Blast Zone the Student, I think he would be at 13. I can attack with Hierarch as long as there isn't sufficient Mana to block with Falls.

Even if, optimistically, I get 3 attacks in, that still isn't sufficient to win the race. In reality, it's likely less, since there is a time, when Pools can be the 3rd land played, to add a counter pre-Blast Zone.

So, I think it is likely that I lose both games.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Thanks for confirming. Scores are now final, and as we're halfway we now have these standings for the season:

1. Asthereal (TO): 23,4
    2. Wrath of Pie: 15,2
    3. Tylert: 15,1
    3. FTW: 15,1
    5. H: 12,3
    6. Moosedog: 3

So FTW jumps to a shared 3rd place thanks to his strong performance, and my dismal round ended up not hurting much thanks to Tylert missing a round.

And my deck is ready, so...

ROUND 7 of SEASON 5: MODERN MADNESS has started.

I have PM'ed myself my deck for round 7, so you can start sending me your decks.

DEADLINE: Wednesday the 26th of February, at 11:00AM Central European Time.
    (That's my time zone. Pacific Time it'll probably be something like Tuesday night a bit past midnight, so keep that in mind.)

PLEASE NOTE:
    The way you send your deck to me matters. Please send it in the way described below, so it doesn't cost me an hour of editing before I can post all the decks.
    Please send your deck as follows: Swamp, Mountain, Blightspeaker, Combust (so with card tags around each card, and not above eachother), with your Username and 4CB S05R07 in the topic.
    Many of you already do this. Thanks a lot, this really saves me a lot of time and hassle of copying and pasting text and tags!
    Don't forget to keep an eye on the banned list. It will grow every round. You'll find the banned list in the second post of the thread, or in our Google Spreadsheet.
    I have reorganized the banned list in our spreadsheet to be alphabetical now, but it's okay if one of you wants to change it back.
    Or to something else entirely. It's two clicks to turn it into a different order. Just try not to delete any of it.

After the deadline has passed, I will post all decks on the forum here, and you can start puzzling out your scores.
    If you have any questions, please read the first two posts of this thread first. If you can't find the answer there, drop a message here. We'll answer a.s.a.p.

Also, if you've been lurking on this thread and looking to join, you can step in anytime, any round. That's no problem at all. Just send me your deck before the deadline, and I'll add you to the competition.

Happy deck designing everybody!

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

I thought I would have some internet during my hollidays... turn out I was wrong...
    Will be there for next round.

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

What a meta deck :)
    I wasn't there to give you 6 points... sorry :)

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Quote Originally Posted by Tylert View Post
    What a meta deck :)
    I wasn't there to give you 6 points... sorry :)
    Yeah, it was pretty crap.

I forgot my own basic rule for 4CB:
    "Your deck must always be able to function properly in a vacuum."
    And a deck with one threat that dies to everything does not function properly on its own.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

About 24 hours until the deadline, and we're at 4 entries. Don't miss out!

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

I'll send something tongith at least.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Deadline has passed and it looks like I have everybody, so here we go:

DECKS FOR ROUND 7 OF SEASON 5: MODERN MADNESS

1. Asthereal (TO): Blinkmoth Nexus, Quicksand, Steel Overseer, Steel Overseer
    2. FTW: Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth, Shrieking Affliction, Mutavault, Smallpox
    3. Wrath of Pie: Mage-Ring Network, Urza's Factory, Hangarback Walker, Steel Overseer
    4. Moosedog: Keldon Megaliths, Fungal Reaches, Raging Ravine, Blast Zone
    5. Tylert: Blinkmoth Nexus, Blinkmoth Nexus, Steel Overseer, Phyrexian Revoker
    6. H: Blinkmoth Nexus, Quicksand, Steel Overseer, Memnite

Please post your scores and cross-check with the opponents.
    I'll update the Google Spreadsheet for the season, so you can enter your scores there as well: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Deadline has passed and it looks like I have everybody, so here we go:

DECKS FOR ROUND 7 OF SEASON 5: MODERN MADNESS

1. Asthereal (TO): Blinkmoth Nexus, Quicksand, Steel Overseer, Steel Overseer
    2. FTW: Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth, Shrieking Affliction, Mutavault, Smallpox
    3. Wrath of Pie: Mage-Ring Network, Urza's Factory, Hangarback Walker, Steel Overseer
    4. Moosedog: Keldon Megaliths, Fungal Reaches, Raging Ravine, Blast Zone
    5. Tylert: Blinkmoth Nexus, Blinkmoth Nexus, Steel Overseer, Phyrexian Revoker
    6. H: Blinkmoth Nexus, Quicksand, Steel Overseer, Memnite

Please post your scores and cross-check with the opponents.
    I'll update the Google Spreadsheet for the season, so you can enter your scores there as well: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
    AH, I forgot to add quicksand in my deck :)

Thread Information