Page 177 of 332 FirstFirst ... 77127167173174175176177178179180181187227277 ... LastLast
Results 3,521 to 3,540 of 6623

Thread: 4 Card Blind

Sep 2011

Re: 4 Card Blind

I'll share afterwards too. I'm really curious what everyone came up with.

But silkster doesn't need any extra advantages, so I'm holding onto tech until the decks are posted.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

No entry from silk still. I'll finish my work thing and post decks in a bit, with or without you.
    Join the 4 Card Blind competition!

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

About Round 3: Berserker: Creatures can't block, creatures attack each turn if able, combat damage cannot be prevented, prevent all non-combat damage to players

I don't know if this clause is restrictive enough. IT looks like the meta from the end of our first season would perfectly fit into it. I Don't know if it is worth to play a round where the meta is already known...
    Could we restrict it to creatures and lands only? (Or anything else that narrows the scope of cards we could use)

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Quote Originally Posted by Tylert View Post
    About Round 3: Berserker: Creatures can't block, creatures attack each turn if able, combat damage cannot be prevented, prevent all non-combat damage to players

I don't know if this clause is restrictive enough. IT looks like the meta from the end of our first season would perfectly fit into it. I Don't know if it is worth to play a round where the meta is already known...
    Could we restrict it to creatures and lands only? (Or anything else that narrows the scope of cards we could use)
    I would contratulate the people who create decks that effectively abuse the current restrictions and win without using creatures.
    Also, I don't want to accidentally invalidate creature removal, which should be important this round. So I say we keep this as is.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Silk's too slow, so here's the decks for round 1.
    Also, warm welcome to our newest player, Serguei!

DECKS FOR ROUND 1 OF SEASON 9: Deviant Legacy - Part 2

The rule for Canadian Backbuild: A loss nets you 3 points and a win nets you zero. You still play optimally to win. Your deck must win both OTP and OTD against the Canadians (Snow-Covered Forest, Snow-Covered Mountain, Grizzly Bears, Balduvian Bears).

Our entries:
    1. Asthereal (TO): Grove of the Burnwillows, Mountain, Punishing Fire, Volcanic Dragon
    2. Wrath of Pie: Timberline Ridge, Helix Pinnacle, Mugging, Mugging
    3. Reeplcheep: Pine Barrens, Deathmark, Deathmark, Helix Pinnacle
    4. FTW: Veldt, Helix Pinnacle, Traproot Kami, Green Scarab
    5. dte: Wirewood Symbiote, Ketria Triome, Saprazzan Legate, Saprazzan Legate
    6. jhhdk: Secluded Steppe, Secluded Steppe, Circle of protection: Green, Mesa Pegasus
    7. H: Swamp, Reaver Drone, Deathmark, Deathmark
    8. alphastryk: Subterranean Hangar, Glistening Oil, Diamond Kaleidoscope, Helix Pinnacle
    9. Tylert: Forest, Sulfur vent, Budoka gardener, Jade mage
    10. GoblinSmashmaster: Snow-Covered Forest, Snow-Covered Mountain, Bear Cub, Ayula, Queen Among Bears
    11. Serguei: Subterranean Hangar, Perish, Mental agony, Acolyte of Xathrid
    12. maxx!: Karplusan Forest, Molten Slagheap, Elvish Archers, Dead Ringers

Please post your scores and cross-check with the opponents.
    I'll also be building a new Google Spreadsheet for the season, so you can enter your scores there as well.
    URL: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
    Last edited by Asthereal; 01-25-2021 at 08:29 AM.

Feb 2014

Me, hating on mountains and their scary slopes.
    And sporting my favourite insect :)

1. Asthereal (TO): Grove of the Burnwillows, Mountain, Punishing Fire, Volcanic Dragon
    0. The merfolks eat dragons that stay in hands at breakfast. not a great start.

6. You mugg the insect and take forever to win.

6. You kill the insect and win slowly.

6. You get a scarab that protects you from other isects.

Me.

6. jhhdk: Secluded Steppe, Secluded Steppe, Circle of protection: Green, Mesa Pegasus
    6. you've got you insect repellant.

6. Kill the insect, kill me.

8. alphastryk: Subterranean Hangar, Glistening Oil, Diamond Kaleidoscope, Helix Pinnacle
    6. Insecticide oil for the win.

6. your creatures beat the insect.

10. GoblinSmashmaster: Snow-Covered Forest, Snow-Covered Mountain, Bear Cub, Ayula, Queen Among Bears
    6. You play the scariest card, a basic mountain. But I cannot beat a 4/4.

6. Perish on a lone symbiote does the trick. And welcome!

6. Elvish archer >> Wirewood symbiote, at least here.

That went much better than expected!
    And much better than my other decks:
    Noble hierarch, rainbow vale, hunt the hunter, hunt the hunter
    and Homarid shaman, sand silos, Svyelunite Temple, Svyelunite Temple (that one was because I could do a full fallen empires deck, and I really do love fallen empire as an extension).

Sep 2011

tl;dr - The fastest I can possibly win is the upkeep of Turn 202 (after adding the 100th counter on turn 201).
    Unless you have a Forest, my creature is a 0/0 and I'm completely defenseless to any threat.
    If you have both a Forest and green permanent, then I have a 2/3 reach wall.

1. Asthereal (TO): Punishing Fire quickly kills me. LL 6-0
    2. Wrath of Pie: Ah, the mirror. Well played. WL 3-3
    3. Reeplcheep: Whoa, what is this speedy aggro deck that wins before turn 110? LL 6-0
    5. dte: Forest + green creature, good tech. WW 0-6
    6. jhhdk: No forests, so my wall is a 0/0. LL 6-0
    7. H: Yikes, a fatty! LL 6-0
    8. alphastryk: Another speedy aggro deck. LL 6-0
    9. Tylert: Forest + green creatures, and you can't even go wide with multiple tokens. Nice deck. WW 0-6
    10. GoblinSmashmaster: Luckily I have Green Scarab instead of Green Ward so your 4/4 smashes me. LL 6-0
    11. Serguei: Welcome! Cool deck. You need 41 mana to kill me, which means you win well before turn 100. LL 6-0
    12. maxx!: If you played Taiga then I'd be in trouble. As is, I can't stop Archers. LL 6-0

51 points (5 wins, 17 losses)
    Last edited by FTW; 01-25-2021 at 01:47 PM.

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

I see I failed to produce the slowest deck . Who knew golfishing on turn 109 was too fast! Also, My removal was not narrow enough clearly.

I see you brought a 3 card blind deck. However, Grove + Fire wins before my Pinnacle is completed (my goldfish is turn 109). LL

6 points

I see you have constructed an even slower Pinnacle deck. WW

0 points

Your Pinnacle is completed on your turn 101, but I cannot complete mine until my turn 109 thanks to my terrible color filtering Kaleidoscope. LL

6 points

I see you also come rom the slow Pinnacle school, but yours is slower than mine. WW

0 points

My removal is too good. Oil kills the Symbiote and your Legates are blanks. Nice deck. WW

0 points

My removal is too good. Oil kills the Pegasus. WW

0 points

My removal is too good. Oil kills the Drone. WW

0 points

This is me!

Once again, my removal is too good. WW

0 points

I love the idea here of being as close as possible to the deck we all have to beat. EDIT: Because you play to win and make a 4/4, Glistening Oil can't get rid of it your threats before I get poisoned. LL

6 points

I don't think I can beat a discard spell, so Mental Agony takes away my ability to win. EDIT: However, I can hold onto my Oil and kill your Acolyte with it to force draws. DD

2 points

Foiled again by my removal. WW

0 points

total: 20 points. Clearly my removal was not nearly narrow enough, and I also was not the slowest deck. Whoops!
    Last edited by alphastryk; 01-21-2021 at 03:17 PM.

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

1. Asthereal: I think I can't kill you before you kill all my boys. 6-0 --> 6.
    2. Wrath of Pie: You can't cast mugging two turns in a row. That means that I nned to play Gardener first, You kill it, then I can play jade mage the turn after you can't kill it and I can make a 1/1 to win... well loose 0-6 --> 6
    3. Reeplcheep: I can't play jade mage and have it survive a turn to make a 1/1. I loose both! 6-0 --> 12
    4. FTW: OTD on turn 4, you'll cast Green scarab on your 0/1 and I won't be able to kill you anymore. Pinnacle will win this. 0-6 --> 18
    5. dte: Nice tech. 0-6 --> 18
    6. jhhdk: I'll do first damage in both games but you will hold at bay my 2/1. If I attack with my 1/1 you block, If I don't, You stay in defense. 2-2 --> 20
    7. H. You kill my threats and win. 6-0 --> 26
    8. Alphastryk: You kill my 3 creatures towards T11 on the draw. 6-0 --> 32
    9. Me.
    10. Goblinsmashmaster: A 4/4 is too big for me. Can't Kill it and survice. 6-0 --> 38
    11. Serguei: I Can win OTP barely by playing jade mage first. You have to Mental agony before using perish. Once you have used mental agony, I can make a 3/3 EOT and as you are at 12, I have 4 turns to kill you that is just enough. OTD, You win just before dying. 3/3 --> 41
    12. Maxx!: I can't commit more than one creature to win. But you are allways the first one attacking because of first strike you win the race and I can't block. 6-0 --> 47

Total = 47

VS Serguei
    T1 = Vents. Hangar.
    T2 = Forest, Mage. H1.
    T3 = 20/18. H2.
    T4 = 20/16. H3.
    T5 = 20/14. H4.
    T6 = 20/12. Mental agony 18/12, 1/1 EOT.
    T7 = 18/9. H1.
    T8 = 18/6. H2.
    T9 = 18/3. H3.
    T10 = 18/0. Perish.

I first found the deathmark deck. Which was clearly meta dependent... but It meant that if I could play a green creature I'd loose. So I went to sylvan advocate (2/3 vigilance) + first strike which is nice.
    Then I realized a 2/3 would be too good. and went to Trueheart duelist + Djeru's resolve. FInally I found that 3 2/2 bodies were too good and went to a green persist strategy while also finding Brimaz vanguard + Onction. I choose to play a variation of the Two 2/(1 or 2) bodies + a 1/1 that was using green creature to be beaten by anti green decks...
    Some decks could have been good depending on the meta: 2/1 vigilance + Protection from green, 1/1 for 0 + two mana tithe, the deathmark deck. But knowing that, Playing lands that can't store mana and green creatures was an easy choice.
    I failed to find something that could only win vs 2 2/2 or a mountain thought like the sapprazan legate or the defender that has a toughness equal to the number of forests in play.

My worst card that was usefull was anoint. Used on brimaz vanguard, it could make it trade twice vs bears while getting a 1/1.
    Last edited by Tylert; 01-21-2021 at 01:45 PM.

Sep 2011

Hahaha these decks are all hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by alphastryk View Post
    I see I failed to produce the slowest deck . Who knew golfishing on turn 109 was too fast! Also, My removal was not narrow enough clearly.
    When you thought you had the slowest, I was curious if you used some slow filtering tech to make it harder to get mana. Kaleidoscope is a great find! I had a version with an off-color land + Chromatic Sphere (delays 2 turns), but that left only 1 slot to beat 2 bears. I thought that would mean playing a card that stops too many other decks, so I went with my "faster" version with worse defenses.

Quote Originally Posted by dte View Post
    Homarid shaman, sand silos, Svyelunite Temple, Svyelunite Temple (that one was because I could do a full fallen empires deck, and I really do love fallen empire as an extension).
    Love the Fallen Empires throwback. I wanted to do something with Orcs but it didn't quite come together.

Legate is great tech!

I also tried out decks using threats that could only be cast against the Canadians. There are many variations, using Deepwood Legate, or relying on colored mana production from Exotic Orchard or Vesuva. But these ideas all fell flat when I considered the Canadians could just do nothing to draw. Playing a generic 1/1 is a great solution to that! I like that you also played a Forest-Mountain just to catch the other hate decks too. Smart deck!

I'll post my other decks

Control: Grove of the Burnwillows, Rishadan Port, Bazaar Trader, Sorrow's Path
    This was my cheesy build using the worst card in Magic, but it is actually OP and beats too much.

Aggro: Sacred Foundry, Snow-Covered Forest, Arctic Foxes, Wall of Hope
    Wall of Hope just barely survives 2 bears, and Arctic Foxes only has evasion against 2/2 fatties in snow decks... Instead of going slow, this was my attempt at most fragile win condition + most fragile defense.

Control: Veldt, Vesuva, Helix Pinnacle, Custody Battle
    Custody Battle hilariously holds off 2 bears without letting you ever attack back. But this speeds up Helix Pinnacle a lot in mirrors.

Pillow Fort: Shivan Gorge, Mercadian Bazaar, Thespian's Stage, Glade Watcher
    Shivan Gorge is way too fast

Prison: Rushwood Grove, Meekstone, Muraganda Petroglyphs, Helix Pinnacle
    This only stops vanilla creatures, but it's a fast Helix Pinnacle.

Feb 2014

This is me!

I love the idea here of being as close as possible to the deck we all have to beat. It works out here, as my removal is too good. WW

0 points
    You should lose (win?) that one: your removal also gives infect, so you take 4+3+2+1=10 poison counters, both OTP and OTD.

Also, quite a lot of pinnacles!

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

Quote Originally Posted by dte View Post
    You should lose (win?) that one: your removal also gives infect, so you take 4+3+2+1=10 poison counters, both OTP and OTD.

Also, quite a lot of pinnacles!
    Aha because GoblinSmashmaster has to play to win and lead with Ayula then make it a 4/4. You're right, updating results.

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    When you thought you had the slowest, I was curious if you used some slow filtering tech to make it harder to get mana. Kaleidoscope is a great find! I had a version with an off-color land + Chromatic Sphere (delays 2 turns), but that left only 1 slot to beat 2 bears. I thought that would mean playing a card that stops too many other decks, so I went with my "faster" version with worse defenses.
    I only know about the Kaleidoscope from the "joy" of getting one in a Visions pack once.

Here's a few of my other terrible ideas:

I should maybe played this horrible wall plan instead of Glistening Oil
    Fountain of Cho, One-Eyed Scarecrow, Diamond Kaleidoscope, Helix Pinnacle

I also had some decks that looped Rath's Edge with a storage land and Wheel of Sun and Moon but they were very slightly faster than the Helix Pinnacle decks.

1. Asthereal (TO): Grove of the Burnwillows, Mountain, Punishing Fire, Volcanic Dragon LL - You win way too fast for this format.
    3. Reeplcheep: Pine Barrens, Deathmark, Deathmark, Helix Pinnacle LL - I debated something like this, then realized that being the slower Helix Pinnacle hand was worth way more than the narrower removal spell.
    4. FTW: Veldt, Helix Pinnacle, Traproot Kami, Green Scarab WL - This is way more clever than my entry and probably what I should have played.
    5. dte: Wirewood Symbiote, Ketria Triome, Saprazzan Legate, Saprazzan Legate WW
    6. jhhdk: Secluded Steppe, Secluded Steppe, Circle of protection: Green, Mesa Pegasus WW
    7. H: Swamp, Reaver Drone, Deathmark, Deathmark WW
    8. alphastryk: Subterranean Hangar, Glistening Oil, Diamond Kaleidoscope, Helix Pinnacle LL
    9. Tylert: Forest, Sulfur vent, Budoka gardener, Jade mage LL - I can't mug three creatures.
    10. GoblinSmashmaster: Snow-Covered Forest, Snow-Covered Mountain, Bear Cub, Ayula, Queen Among Bears WD - Staring contests are what Backbuild are all about.
    11. Serguei: Subterranean Hangar, Perish, Mental agony, Acolyte of Xathrid DD
    12. maxx!: Karplusan Forest, Molten Slagheap, Elvish Archers, Dead Ringers WW

3d9l = 30 points

I started with the classic Ensnaring Bridge/Copper Tablet strategy, but it won too fast and I did not expect creatures to be relevant (turns out I was wrong), thus the double Mugging with Helix Pinnacle. I dismissed Deathmark because being slower in the Helix Pinnacle mirror was going to be important.

I also considered the hilarious of Death of a Thousand Stings as a win condition, but couldn't find anything to make it workable.
    Last edited by Wrath of Pie; 01-22-2021 at 06:17 AM.

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

A

I should maybe played this horrible wall plan instead of Glistening Oil
    Fountain of Cho, One-Eyed Scarecrow, Diamond Kaleidoscope, Helix Pinnacle
    Man you wanted to play a 2/3??? that is way too strong.

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

Man you wanted to play a 2/3??? that is way too strong.
    It can't attack! I'm basically playing a Moat, which also got crossed off my list for being too good.

Drat! Your removal is just too good and I am unfortunately defenseless against recuring burn to the face. 6 - 0

Drat! Your removal kills my offence and you eventually win with Helix. 6 - 0

Again my beater dies to removal and helix goes the distance. 6 - 0

Your defence is slightly ineffective and I manage to win already on turn 22ish. 0 - 6

I am able to win, but I am a bit curious how you win against the Canadian bears? Edit: i figured it out. I forgot the bear deck had a mountain. 0 - 6

Myself

Your removal kills my offence and I am utterly defenceless against Reaver Drone. 6 - 0

Your removal kills my offence and Helix gets there on turn 400ish. 6 - 0

It's a pretty close race, but seems like you'll win no matter how well I play. 2 - 2 Edit forgot I can block even if you can't.

Impressively narrow hate deck. You really show those bears who's boss, unfortunately my deck is too stronk for you. 0 - 6

My deck is stronger than yours. I resolve all my threats before you can resolve mental agony and my 1/1 is faster than your Acolyte. 0 - 6

My defence holds up against your onslaught and your removal is too narrow to be effective (amazingly Narrow! I should have gone with green
    forestwalk creature instead and I could've had draws here).

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Quote Originally Posted by jhhdk View Post
    It's a pretty close race, but seems like you'll win no matter how well I play. 6 - 0
    OTD:

T1 = Vents. Steppes.
    T2 = Forest, Sage. Steppes.
    T3 = Mage 20/18. Pegasus.
    T4 = attack, you trade with sage, 1/1. COP.
    T5 = 20/15. COP.
    T6 = 20/12.

I can't damage you anymore.

So it's 2-2.

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Quote Originally Posted by jhhdk View Post
    I am able to win, but I am a bit curious how you win against the Canadian bears?
    Saprazzan legate is free because he has a forest and his opponent has a mountain.
    He can attack with one legate and keep a 1/1 and a 1/3 in defense to kill one bear, and after that block the other one for ever.

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

Saprazzan legate is free because he has a forest and his opponent has a mountain.
    He can attack with one legate and keep a 1/1 and a 1/3 in defense to kill one bear, and after that block the other one for ever.
    Also importantly, the Canadians can't hold the Mountain to force a draw because the 1/1 wins it then.

Thread Information