Thread: 4 Card Blind

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Re: 4 Card Blind

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    If it wasn't a Ghost Quarter block, someone would have just played
    Cavern of Souls, Island, Avacyn's Pilgrim, Laboratory Maniac

GQ kept them down to fairer 2cc threats like infinite wolves and 13/13 tramples.
    Yeah, it was a pretty powerful round.

About 24 hours until the deadline for next round, and we're at 3 players so far. Don't miss out!
    Join the 4 Card Blind competition!

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Quote Originally Posted by Asthereal View Post
    Yeah, it was a pretty powerful round.

About 24 hours until the deadline for next round, and we're at 3 players so far. Don't miss out!
    I've prepared something. It's in the pipe. Strill trying to find something better than it before sending it.

Another obnoxious round :)

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Quote Originally Posted by Tylert View Post
    I've prepared something. It's in the pipe. Strill trying to find something better than it before sending it.

Another obnoxious round :)
    Is it that bad?
    I may have overlooked a card then...

EDIT: Five players now. We're getting there.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

The deadline has passed, and again I have decks from all the regulars, so here we go:

DECKS FOR ROUND 5 OF THE BLOCK TOUR Part 2 ( Return to Ravnica block):

1. Asthereal (TO): Godless Shrine, Dryad Militant, Dutiful Thrull, Shrieking Affliction
    2. Wrath of Pie: Swamp, Rakdos Cackler, Rakdos Cackler, Shrieking Affliction
    3. square_two: Breeding Pool, Wasteland Viper, Rapid Hybridization, Serene Remembrance
    4. Tylert: Swamp, Drainpipe Vermin, Shrieking Affliction, Shrieking Affliction
    5. H: Blood Crypt, Shrieking Affliction, Drainpipe Vermin, Mugging
    6. Unlif3: Blood Crypt, Rakdos Cackler, Mugging, Shrieking Affliction
    7. FTW: Overgrown Tomb, Swamp, Abrupt Decay, Lotleth Troll
    8. GoblinSmashmaster: Blood Crypt, Shrieking Affliction, Mugging, Rakdos Cackler

Please post your scores and cross-check with the opponents.
    I'll update the Google Spreadsheet for the season, so you can enter your scores there as well: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Asthereal's results for round 5:

1. Asthereal (TO): Godless Shrine, Dryad Militant, Dutiful Thrull, Shrieking Affliction
    That's me, with a somewhat untuned version of what everybody seems to be playing...
    Shrine costs 2 life, or makes me be on the draw when on the play. I fear you just race me. 0-6
    3. square_two: Breeding Pool, Wasteland Viper, Rapid Hybridization, Serene Remembrance
    Wow, this one's complicated. EDIT: Actually, FTW is probably right and we draw this. 2-2
    Actually, I get to just play Land>Dryad, and you can never attack as Dryad would race you, and keeping two cards in hand means Affliction never turns on. So you keep back Vermin for defence and we draw twice. 2-2
    Re-evalutated this. The one who plays the third card first loses the Affliction race. I open with Dryad or Thrull, you Mug it and we're stuck. 2-2
    Re-evalutated this. See analysis below. OTD I lose because you're a tad faster, OTP we draw. 1-4
    You get to Decay Affliction, and regen dudes make this a stalemate. 2-2
    8. GoblinSmashmaster: Blood Crypt, Rakdos Cackler, Mugging, Shrieking Affliction
    Re-evalutated this. See analysis below. OTD I lose because you're a tad faster, OTP we draw. 1-4

Total: 10 points

Against Unlif3 & GoblinSmashmaster

OTD
    U: Crypt (U=18), cast Cackler
    A: Shrine (A=18) - if I cast Thrull
    U: Cast Mugging on Thrull, attack, A=16
    A: Have to cast Affliction, or you win the race anyway
    U: U=15, cast Allfiction, attack, A=14
    A: A=11, cast Dryad
    U: U=12, attack, block and trade - from here:
    A=8, U=9, A=5, U=6, A=2, U=3, A=dead
    /
    A: Shrine (A=18) - if I instead cast Dryad
    U: Cast Mugging on Dryad, attack (A=16)
    A: Have to cast Affliction, or you win the race anyway
    U: U=15, cast Affliction, attack, A=14
    A: A=11, cast Thrull
    U: U=12, attack, can't block or Thrull dies, so A=9
    A: A=6 and Thrull won't help anymore.
    So I lose OTD
    ---
    OTP
    A: Shrine (A=18), cast Thrull
    U: Crypt (U=18). If you cast Cackler, I can block eternally for a draw.
    So if you want to win, you have to try Mugging the Thrull.
    A: If I go for a win and dast Dryad, here's what happens:
    U: Cast Affliction
    A: A=15, cast Affliction, attack, U=16
    U: U=13, cast Cackler (no unleash)
    A: A=12, attack, block and trade, and from here:
    U=10, A=9, U=7, A=6, U=4, A=3, U=1 and A dies.
    So I have to go for the draw. Unlif3 and GSM also can't go for the win, so we draw.
    Last edited by Asthereal; 11-09-2019 at 06:59 AM.

Sep 2011

Wow, everyone played Shrieking Affliction. I thought more people would try things like Forced Adaptation, Madcap Skills, or Savageborn Hydra (just racing Affliction) or even Hands of Binding (on a flyer), necessitating removal that doesn't lose to Judge's Familiar. Completely misjudged this meta!

1. Asthereal (TO): Decay Affliction and Stalemate against regenerators. DD 2-2
    2. Wrath of Pie: Decay Affliction and Stalemate against your attackers. DD 2-2
    3. square_two: See below. You beat creature-based decks, just very slowly. LL 0-6
    4. Tylert: I can Decay one Affliction, but then Vermin + 2nd Affliction race my Troll. LL 0-6
    5. H: Decay Affliction, Mugging kills Troll when I'm tapped out, and then Vermin gets there. LL 0-6
    6. Unlif3: Same as H. LL 0-6
    8. GoblinSmashmaster: Same as H. LL 0-6

4 points (4 draws)

FTL vs Square_Two:
    Me - Tapped land
    You - Pool. Viper. [You=18]

Me - Swamp. Decay Viper.
    You - Pass

Me - Troll. You Hybridize it into a 3/3.
    You - Serene Rememberance. Your library = Serene Rememberance -> Hybridization -> Viper (in 4CB we always get the worst reshuffle)

Me - Attack for 3. [You =15]
    You - Draw Rememberance.

Me - Attack for 3. [You=12]
    You - Draw Hybridization

Me - Attack for 3. You can Hybridize it into another 3/3 to kick it out of combat.
    You - Wasteland Viper

Now you can block me, so I can never attack again. You can Serene Rememberance again and Hybridize your own Viper into a 3/3, but your 3/3 can't attack me because mine will race you. So you do it again... make another Viper and Hybridize it. Then you have 2 3/3s. Then you have 3 3/3s. Eventually you can race me.

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

8. GoblinSmashmaster: Blood Crypt, Shrieking Affliction, Mugging, Rakdos Cackler

shrieking affliction is not the rack. i have to redo this :)

Sep 2011

More Affliction with a basic, so I guess you're quicker as well? 0-6
    You have a better line. Just play 1 creature and leave 2 cards in hand.

A - Tapped Shrine
    T - Swamp, Vermin

A - Dryad
    T - Affliction. If T attacks for 1, A doesn't block and attacks back for 2, so T doesn't attack.

A - Do nothing.
    T - Affliction. Same problem.

A - Do nothing.
    Stalemate. DD 2-2

Everyone with 1 drop decks can do this to draw. I can't because I have a 2-drop, so I would lose to 20 Vermin attacks unless I play something.

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Wow, everyone played Shrieking Affliction. I thought more people would try things like Forced Adaptation, Madcap Skills, or Savageborn Hydra (just racing Affliction) or even Hands of Binding (on a flyer), necessitating removal that doesn't lose to Judge's Familiar. Completely misjudged this meta!
    I swear i tried to find a deck that would beat shrieking affliction, but i did not.
    The only decks that could have beaten shrieking affliction, like triple boros elite or savageborn hydra loose to the 1 removal deck (Mugging or Abrupt decay) so it was a big no no for me.

Without this card, the round would probably have been way better!

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

A - Tapped Shrine
    T - Swamp, Vermin

A - Dryad
    T - Affliction. If T attacks for 1, A doesn't block and attacks back for 2, so T doesn't attack.

A - Do nothing.

A - Do nothing.
    Stalemate. DD 2-2

Everyone with 1 drop decks can do this to draw. I can't because I have a 2-drop, so I would lose to 20 Vermin attacks unless I play something.

ahahah. I have to review my analysis for all matches :)

Sep 2011

Total = 42. Seems like a full sweep. But, there may be some lines i have overlooked (Or just plainly badly calculated) so please check.

It's me who wanted bans for this season! Another obnoxious round where you have to play an obvious card to win...
    But having to find the best variation was cool :)
    Great deck! I think you draw against most of them though. See my other comment. They can leave 2 cards in hand to nullify Shrieking Affliction. You can't force them to discard. They can choose to never attack or block you. If you attack, any 2/x races you, so you're forced to leave it on defense and draw.

That's where Shrieking Affliction is worse than The Rack. They need to be at 0-1 cards. It does nothing at 2 cards. The lack of discard to force hand size down to 1 is why I didn't expect to see so much Shrieking Affliction played.

Sep 2011

Wow, this one's complicated. Some quick math tells me I probably race you, but I may have missed something. 6-0
    I think you can't race him. He can nullify Affliction often (keep 2 cards in hand). Against most decks he just needs to turn his Viper into a 3/3, then sit on 2 cards in hand and no one can deal him any damage, at worst DD for him. He might even be able to win if he can make more 3/3s before Afflictions hurt him. Your one advantage is Dryad Militant, which could exile his spell and break the loop, so he has to play around that.

A - Shrine, Dryad Militant (play Dryad first to threaten to exile Hybridization) [A=18]
    S - Pool, Viper [S=18]

A - Thrull (no point in Affliction yet). Attacking with Dryad into Viper is bad (you need to threaten to exile RH) so you pass.
    S - Leave up mana.

A - Affliction. Attacking is not favorable yet. Pass.
    S - 0 damage from Affliction. Leave up mana.

If you never attack, he can just sit there and draw.

A - You attack to try to beat the draw. Both Dryad and Thrull attack. You have regen mana. Viper trades with Dryad. [S=17]
    S - 0 damage from Affliction. Cast Rememberance, reshuffling --> Rememberance first, then Viper

A - Attack for 1 [S=16]
    S - Affliction hits. [S=13] He draws Rememberance and passes with 2 cards.

A - Attack for 1 [S=12]
    S - Draw Viper and cast it.

A - Now you can't deal damage with Affliction or Thrull. He can just sit there and draw.

DD 2-2

I think he's too low in life to RH himself into enough 3/3s to win. He would have to make 2 to get past your regenerator and he takes Affliction damage in between each time.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

A - Tapped Shrine
    T - Swamp, Vermin

A - Dryad

A - Do nothing.

A - Do nothing.
    Stalemate. DD 2-2

You're right, I missed that one. My brain told me Affliction also works when you have two cards in hand, which it obviously doesn't.

I think you can't race him. He can nullify Affliction often (keep 2 cards in hand). Against most decks he just needs to turn his Viper into a 3/3, then sit on 2 cards in hand and no one can deal him any damage, at worst DD for him. He might even be able to win if he can make more 3/3s before Afflictions hurt him. Your one advantage is Dryad Militant, which could exile his spell and break the loop, so he has to play around that.

A - Shrine, Dryad Militant (play Dryad first to threaten to exile Hybridization) [A=18]
    S - Pool, Viper [S=18]

A - Thrull (no point in Affliction yet). Attacking with Dryad into Viper is bad (you need to threaten to exile RH) so you pass.
    S - Leave up mana.

A - Affliction. Attacking is not favorable yet. Pass.
    S - 0 damage from Affliction. Leave up mana.

If you never attack, he can just sit there and draw.

A - You attack to try to beat the draw. Both Dryad and Thrull attack. You have regen mana. Viper trades with Dryad. [S=17]
    S - 0 damage from Affliction. Cast Rememberance, reshuffling --> Rememberance first, then Viper

A - Attack for 1 [S=16]
    S - Affliction hits. [S=13] He draws Rememberance and passes with 2 cards.

A - Attack for 1 [S=12]
    S - Draw Viper and cast it.

A - Now you can't deal damage with Affliction or Thrull. He can just sit there and draw.

DD 2-2

I think he's too low in life to RH himself into enough 3/3s to win. He would have to make 2 to get past your regenerator and he takes Affliction damage in between each time.
    I see I miscalculated here as well. This looks correct. I might revisit, but for now I'll adjust my score.
    Last edited by Asthereal; 11-06-2019 at 09:44 AM.

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Great deck! I think you draw against most of them though. See my other comment. They can leave 2 cards in hand to nullify Shrieking Affliction. You can't force them to discard. They can choose to never attack or block you. If you attack, any 2/x races you, so you're forced to leave it on defense and draw.

That's where Shrieking Affliction is worse than The Rack. They need to be at 0-1 cards. It does nothing at 2 cards. The lack of discard to force hand size down to 1 is why I didn't expect to see so much Shrieking Affliction played.
    yeah yeah... saw that... I still win versus H who choose to play a 1/1 and so i have first blood each time!

here is my new analysis:

1. Asthereal: If you just play a 1 drop and either do not block if i attack and do not attack if i stay in defense, it's a draw. 2-2 --> 2
    2 Wrath of Pie: If you just play a 1 drop and either do not block if i attack and do not attack if i stay in defense, it's a draw. 2-2 --> 4
    3. square_two: same here. 2-2 --> 6
    4. Me.
    5. H: You are playing a 1 drop, but it's a vermin. 1/1 also. If you play crypt untapped to block with vermin, you'll have less life and loose your mugging. I'll have affliction first on the board and win. If you play crypt tapped, you will be attacked by vermin first. If you try to "mugging" my vermin, you'll loose a card... You can't race because you will allways have less life than me. so I win both OTP and OTD. 6-0 --> 12
    6. Unlif3: same here 2-2 --> 14
    7. FTW: Ahaha you're playing a two drop! 6-0 --> 18
    8. GoblinSmashmaster: you're playing a 1 drop 2-2 --> 20

I had forgotten that a 1/1 could draw the game when playing shrieking affliction.
    I remembered to not play the triple shrieking affliction deck just because the opponent could do nothing and win and would have to impact the board... but SHrieking affliction is not the rack... and he needs to drop two cards :(

Total = 20.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

I still win versus H who choose to play a 1/1 and so i have first blood each time!

5. H: You are playing a 1 drop, but it's a vermin. 1/1 also. If you play crypt untapped to block with vermin, you'll have less life and loose your mugging. I'll have affliction first on the board and win. If you play crypt tapped, you will be attacked by vermin first. If you try to "mugging" my vermin, you'll loose a card... You can't race because you will allways have less life than me. so I win both OTP and OTD. 6-0 --> 12
    Doesn't he just wait for you to cast Vermin and then go land>Mugging, killing it without you having mana to make him discard?

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Doesn't he just wait for you to cast Vermin and then go land>Mugging, killing it without you having mana to make him discard?
    Reading is tech. I have to pay for the discard! :)
    Then yeah. draw also...
    Grand TOTAL = 16!!.

Sep 2011

Yeah Drainpipe Vermin can't force discard and is easy to play around.

Did you see my comment earlier about square_two? I think he 2-2s you and Tylert and beats most other Affliction decks.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Yeah Drainpipe Vermin can't force discard and is easy to play around.

Did you see my comment earlier about square_two? I think he 2-2s you and Tylert and beats most other Affliction decks.
    I just edited my post.

Yeah, it's a really cool deck, I have to say.
    I did not see that coming at all.

Reading is tech. I have to pay for the discard! :)
    Then yeah. draw also...
    Grand TOTAL = 16!!.
    Actually, it's 18. Assuming Google Spreadsheets is better at adding than we are.

1. Asthereal (TO): Godless Shrine, Dryad Militant, Dutiful Thrull, Shrieking Affliction WW - Shockland leaves me ahead on life which means you are forced to play into Affliction, which works out poorly.
    3. square_two: Breeding Pool, Wasteland Viper, Rapid Hybridization, Serene Remembrance LL - You found 1-drops that beat Affliction!
    4. Tylert: Swamp, Drainpipe Vermin, Shrieking Affliction, Shrieking Affliction DD
    5. H: Blood Crypt, Shrieking Affliction, Drainpipe Vermin, Mugging WW - See explanation post.
    6. Unlif3: Blood Crypt, Rakdos Cackler, Mugging, Shrieking Affliction WD - See explanation post.
    7. FTW: Overgrown Tomb, Swamp, Abrupt Decay, Lotleth Troll DD - I think Golgari Guildgate would have been better for you over Overgrown Tomb.
    8. GoblinSmashmaster: Blood Crypt, Shrieking Affliction, Mugging, Rakdos Cackler WD - See explanation post.

6w6d = 24 points
    Last edited by Wrath of Pie; 11-08-2019 at 11:15 AM.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

H: Blood Crypt, Shrieking Affliction, Drainpipe Vermin, Mugging

Probably correct that whoever is on the play wins. 3-3

I think I lose here, since a 2/2 races a 1/1. 0-6

My intuition says I lose these, but I don't know what the math says.

If I am on the Play:
    H: Crypt, untapped [H=18], Vermin. (Affliction does nothing here.)
    S2: Pool, lets say Untapped [S2=18], the only card that does anything is Viper.

H: Mugging on Viper, attack for 1, [S2=17].
    S2: Remembrance, shuffling Remembrance and Viper. Library order: Remembrance on top and Viper on bottom.

H: Attack for 1, play Affliction. [S2=16]
    S2: Only RH in hand, so take 3 from Affliction [S2=13], pass. Hand is now RH, Remembrance.

H: Attack for 1 [S2=12]
    S2: No Affliction damage, Draw Viper, play Viper.

H: If I attack and S2 blocks, I can trigger Vermin. If S2 discards Remembrance, I don't think Hybridiazation on the Viper can win the race, since S2 will be at 9 on the next turn, the 3/3 won't be able to attack until the following turn and I am at 18 then to 6. So, the discard, if it happens must be Hybridization. That would delay a 3/3 by another two turns, which I don't think gets there. So, it would seem that it's best to not block at all. So, [S2=11].
    S2: Hybridize the Viper, pass.

H: I definitely want to attack here, since Remembrance is the only card in hand. Again, S2 can't race here with just a 3/3 losing Remembrance, so, no block. [S2=10].
    S2: Only one card in hand, Remembrance, so [S2=7]. Cast Remembrance, order is Remembrance, RH, Viper. You have a 6 turn clock (18/3) but I have 3 coming next turn, (4), plus 3 on the following turn, plus a potential attack (7). So, attacking does not seem to win yet, so pass.

H: No attack since it can be blocked.
    S2: No cards in hand, so Affliction [S2=4], one card in hand, Remembrance, does nothing, so pass, the attack still can't race.

H: Attack, since I can trigger Vermin for gain on a block. If no block, I win the the following upkeep. If blocked, I trigger Vermin, discarding Remembrance, then there is no way for S2 to race the Affliction.

So, I think I win on the Play. Unsure about the Draw, but my guess is that it doesn't make that much of a difference?

More analysis needed, clearly.

I don't think I can win this. 0-6

5. H: Bye, myself.

We just trade wins on the Play? 3-3

FTW covered this, I can win both. 6-0

I think this is a double draw. 2-2

Still really unsure on the line for my matchup with square_two though...
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Thread Information