Page 103 of 332 FirstFirst ... 3539399100101102103104105106107113153203 ... LastLast
Results 2,041 to 2,060 of 6623

Thread: 4 Card Blind

Re: 4 Card Blind

Quote Originally Posted by alphastryk View Post
    I *think* it won't matter because if you grow hangarback I can chump block and regenerate with Yavimaya Hollow and if you don't grow your team you get overrun by wolves.

I still haven't figured out the rest of the combat math though.
    That probably means I lose, because you are guaranteed to get a 3/3 each turn and it will survive, and I can never meaningfully attack with Revoker/Overseer to try to clear out Wolves.

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

Quote Originally Posted by Wrath of Pie View Post
    That probably means I lose, because you are guaranteed to get a 3/3 each turn and it will survive, and I can never meaningfully attack with Revoker/Overseer to try to clear out Wolves.
    That seems like it makes sense, and then I'd eventually have enough wolves to attack past your 3 blockers.

Revisiting my match against H now as well:

OTP:
    My t1: Play my tapped land, pass
    H's t1: City, overseer
    My t2: land, mayor (pretty sure there's no reason to ever play the safekeeper since it just slows me down making wolves and its ability does nothing).
    H's t2: overseer, pump
    board: Mayor | 2 2/2 overseers
    My t3: play nothing, create a wolf and put a counter on it with Oren-rief since I won't be using Yavimaya Hollow just yet.
    board: Mayor, 4/4 wolf | 2 2/2overseers
    H's t3: final overseer, hold up pumps so I can't attack with the 4/4.
    board: Mayor, 4/4 wolf | 2 2/2overseers and a 1/1 overseer
    My t4: play nothing, create a wolf and put a counter on it with Oren-rief since I won't be using Yavimaya Hollow just yet. H pumps on my end step.
    board: Mayor, 2 4/4 wolves | 2 4/4 overseers and a 3/3 overseer
    H's t4: hold up overseers as blockers
    board: Mayor, 2 4/4 wolves | 2 4/4 overseers and a 3/3 overseer
    My t5: play nothing, create a wolf (start leaving up hollow at this point so I don't lose all 3 wolves if I'm forced to triple block). H pumps on my end step.
    board: Mayor, 2 4/4 wolves, 3/3 wolf | 2 7/7 overseers and a 5/5 overseer
    H's t5: I think this turn is where it starts to get complicated. If H chooses to attacking with one of the 7/7s leaving up 2 pumps, I block with all 3 wolves and regenerate one of the 4/4s, losing I assume 1 4/4 to kill an overseer. That doesn't seem like a profitable attack yet, so H keeps waiting.
    board: Mayor, 2 4/4 wolves, 3/3 wolf | 2 7/7 overseers and a 5/5 overseer
    My t6: play nothing, create a 3/3 wolf. No attacks, that just costs me wolves. H pumps on my end step
    board: Mayor, 2 4/4 wolves, 2 3/3 wolves | 2 10/10 overseers and a 8/8 overseer
    H's t6: It turns out any attack where I can kill an overseer is bad, because I can then generate a chump blocker every turn for one remaining guy while regenerating my other blocker. So we stall longer.
    board: Mayor, 2 4/4 wolves, 2 3/3 wolves | 2 10/10 overseers and a 8/8 overseer
    My t7: play nothing, create a 3/3 wolf. No attacks. H pumps on my end
    board: Mayor, 2 4/4 wolves, 3 3/3 wolves | 2 13/13 overseers and an 11/11 overseer.
    H's t7: keep on waiting - I think at some point growing each guy by +3/+3 is better than making a 3/3 as eventually I won't be able to kill one by gang blocking. and will have to block them all since each one would be lethal
    board: Mayor, 2 4/4 wolves, 3 3/3 wolves | 2 13/13 overseers and an 11/11 overseer.
    My t8: more of the same
    board: Mayor, 2 4/4 wolves, 4 3/3 wolves | 2 16/16 overseers and an 14/14 overseer.
    H's t8: keep waiting
    board: Mayor, 2 4/4 wolves, 4 3/3 wolves | 2 16/16 overseers and an 14/14 overseer.
    My t9: make guy, h pumps etc
    board: Mayor, 2 4/4 wolves, 5 3/3 wolves | 2 19/19 overseers and an 17/17 overseer.
    H's t9: keep waiting
    board: Mayor, 2 4/4 wolves, 5 3/3 wolves | 2 19/19 overseers and an 17/17 overseer.
    My t10: Make a guy and pass - an attack still isn't lethal and I need at least 3 blockers. H pumps.
    board: Mayor, 2 4/4 wolves, 6 3/3 wolves | 2 22/22 overseers and an 20/20 overseer.
    H's t10: Each attacker is now lethal, so I'm forced to block each one, and I can only regenerate one creature. If I block one with mayor and regenerate, and block 2 others with 3/3s I can win on the attack back. However, if we keep playing this waiting game I eventually have enough wolves to go wide around the blockers.

Wow that was a headache, but maybe a decent chunk of it didn't matter in the end. I didn't see a way its hugely different OTD but I might have missed something. Can anybody double check me on the above?

If I got all that right, it sounds like I actually do beat both Wrath of Pie and H 6-0 instead of losing 0-6. Updating my initial post now.

Sep 2011

3. FTW: Leyline of Singularity, Karakas, Mother of Runes, Student of Warfare

1. Asthereal (TO): OTP I play Mother. You have to Lava Dart it immediately, otherwise I counter a ping for free. After that you can kill Student before I hit L2 so I just infinitely bounce your creatures. DD 2-2
    2. alphastryk: I play out Student and then bounce your plays while attacking. WW 6-0
    4. GoblinSmashmaster: OTP I play Mother first. You PtE it. I play Student. You play Lackey. I keep bouncing Lackey and win with a 1/1. OTD you play Lackey. I play Mother. You PtE it and attack, dropping Morophon [Me=19]. Being able to deploy 2 threats and 1 removal before my turn 2 sets me behind in tempo, so this one's close. I play Student. You attack me for 8 [Me=11]. I hold. You attack me for 8 [Me=3] and EOT I bounce Lackey. I untap and bounce Morophon. You play Lackey. I bounce Lackey. From there you're locked out and 1/1 Student wins. WW 6-0
    5. Wrath of Pie: I bounce your team and Student gets there. WW 6-0
    6. H: I bounce your team and Student gets there. WW 6-0
    7. Tylert: I play out Mother first, which eats Legion's End, then Student gets there. WW 6-0
    8. Moosedog: I bounce your team and Student gets there. WW 6-0
    9. silkster: OTP I play Mother. You play Vial. I play Student. You vial in Therapist. I level up Student to 3/3 first strike. If you Vial in Chupacabra, Mother protects it. Then Student can race through your 1/1 and 2/2 (Mother blocks Chupacabra and protects itself) and I can eternally bounce Chancellor if you go up to 7. Same thing should work OTD. WW 6-0

44 points (14 wins, 2 draws)

I support a Leyline ban. It was stronger than I expected, especially in a Tribal format where we're forced to play at least 2 creatures.
    Last edited by FTW; 04-26-2020 at 09:37 PM.

Site Contributor

Jul 2009
    Philadelphia, PA

Yea I didn’t think this round through very well. I got a little blinded by the idea of people running humans. Go figure I cannot even beat the decks that used them. Ha.

Asthereal (TO): Mountain, Grim Lavamancer, Fire Bowman, Lava Dart
    deck that’s designed to beat X/1 creatures. Beats X/1 creatures. 0-6
    2. alphastryk: Yavimaya Hollow, Oran-Rief, the Vastwood, Mayor of Avabruck, Sylvan Safekeeper
    Why is your wolf a 4/4, am I missing something ? Edit, b/cof the land. I see 0-6
    Karakas ruins my day. Cool idea. 0-6
    4. GoblinSmashmaster: Plateau, Goblin Lackey, Morophon, the Boundless, Path to Exile
    OTP -I duress the path and chump lackey. OTD – you can get lackey through. 3-3
    5. Wrath of Pie: City of Traitors, Hangarback Walker, Steel Overseer, Phyrexian Revoker
    You just chump my guys and have more creatures. 0-6
    6. H: City of Traitors, Steel Overseer, Steel Overseer, Steel Overseer
    You can just chump my guys. Not even sure you would need to though 0-6
    7. Tylert: Blooming marsh, Llanowar Elves, Legion's end, Nissa's chosen
    Agree. 2-2
    8. Moosedog: Badlands, Duress, Stromkirk noble, Stromkirk noble
    ME.
    9. silkster: Chancellor of the Tangle, Aether Vial, Cabal Therapist, Ravenous Chupacabra
    OTP I duress the vial and win. OTD you can chump to buy time and win. 3-3
    Last edited by Moosedog; 04-23-2020 at 02:09 PM.

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

Quote Originally Posted by Moosedog View Post
    Why is your wolf a 4/4, am I missing something ?
    On the same turn I create a wolf, I use Oran-Rief to put a +1/+1 counter on it, so combined with the Mayor's lord pump its a 4/4. Added the details into my original post.

Quote Originally Posted by Asthereal View Post
    Asthereal scores for round 3:

1. Asthereal (TO): Mountain, Grim Lavamancer, Fire Bowman, Lava Dart
    5. Wrath of Pie: City of Traitors, Hangarback Walker, Steel Overseer, Phyrexian Revoker
    I should look at this matchup to make sure that it is in your favor, because it is not as simple as it seems.

On the play I lead with Hangarback Walker. Your removal suite is not well-built to handle it growing, so you have to Lava Dart it on your turn, leaving me with a 1/1 flier. (If you fail to do so, I will force you to do so by attacking with Hangarback, and if you do anything else I can safely grow it to 2/2, and then your removal suite is in major trouble.) If I cast Overseer, it dies to Fire Bowman, and you still have flashback Lava Dart + Grim Lavamancer activation to deal with the two remaining threats, so I cast Phyrexian Revoker naming Fire Bowman and attack with my flier. You then cast Fire Bowman. If I cast Steel Overseeer, you Lava Dart my Revoker, sac Bowman to ping Overseer, and activate Grim Lavamancer to ping my token, so I just attack with my token. I will win the combat damage race, so your best bet is to flashback Lava Dart on Revoker, but because I am ahead in the damage race I cast Steel Overseer and attack with my mighty 1/1 flier, Fire Bowman has to ping Overseer, and I still win the damage race.

On the draw you lead with Fire Bowman. I still cast Hangarback Walker, and you still have to deal with it on your turn. Fire Bowman is the better choice over Lava Dart, because you do not want Revoker naming it causing problems. I cast Steel Overseer and attack with my token, then you have to Lava Dart Overseer. I am not ahead enough in the life race to simply race with the token, but if I cast Revoker it eats flashback Lava Dart and my token dies, so I lose on the draw.

Looks like WL to me.

GoblinSmashmaster Results for Round: Tribal

Lava darts at Lackey 0-6

2. alphastryk: Yavimaya Hollow, Oran-Rief, the Vastwood, Mayor of Avabruck, Sylvan Safekeeper
    Goblins smash! Then Sylvan keeps you safe from Lackey & Mayor gets Exiled. 4-1

Karakas singles out Lackey 0-6

4. GoblinSmashmaster: Plateau, Goblin Lackey, Morophon, the Boundless, Path to Exile
    That's me, smashing with Goblins!

Too many threats 0-6

Goblins smash! 3-3

Path the Elf 6-0

Goblins smash! 3-3

9. silkster: Chancellor of the Tangle, Aether Vial, Cabal Therapist, Ravenous Chupacabra
    Goblins smash! Then Chup bounds Morophon 3-3

19 points

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

I should look at this matchup to make sure that it is in your favor, because it is not as simple as it seems.

On the play I lead with Hangarback Walker. Your removal suite is not well-built to handle it growing, so you have to Lava Dart it on your turn, leaving me with a 1/1 flier. (If you fail to do so, I will force you to do so by attacking with Hangarback, and if you do anything else I can safely grow it to 2/2, and then your removal suite is in major trouble.) If I cast Overseer, it dies to Fire Bowman, and you still have flashback Lava Dart + Grim Lavamancer activation to deal with the two remaining threats, so I cast Phyrexian Revoker naming Fire Bowman and attack with my flier. You then cast Fire Bowman. If I cast Steel Overseeer, you Lava Dart my Revoker, sac Bowman to ping Overseer, and activate Grim Lavamancer to ping my token, so I just attack with my token. I will win the combat damage race, so your best bet is to flashback Lava Dart on Revoker, but because I am ahead in the damage race I cast Steel Overseer and attack with my mighty 1/1 flier, Fire Bowman has to ping Overseer, and I still win the damage race.

On the draw you lead with Fire Bowman. I still cast Hangarback Walker, and you still have to deal with it on your turn. Fire Bowman is the better choice over Lava Dart, because you do not want Revoker naming it causing problems. I cast Steel Overseer and attack with my token, then you have to Lava Dart Overseer. I am not ahead enough in the life race to simply race with the token, but if I cast Revoker it eats flashback Lava Dart and my token dies, so I lose on the draw.

Looks like WL to me.
    If you open with Walker or Overseer, I was planning to use the Bowman to kill it, since Revoker might be used to call Bowman, which could be awkward.
    If I go this route, I'll have Spike (2x) and Lavamancer for Overseer, Revoker and the 1/1 flying token.

If you manage to find a line where I cannot use the Lavamancer ability effectively, I'll have to use Spike for Overseer and the token, leaving Lavaman to block Revoker for the draw, but I thought I could use Lavaman anyway. I do have to time him well though, since I have to tap for red, then sac Mountain for Spike flashback, and then exile Bowman and Mountain and use that red mana for the Lavaman ability, so these things all need to happen in the same turn.

This is what I had in mind:
    W: City, Walker
    A: Mountain, Bowman, kill Walker, you get a 1/1 flyer
    W: Attack for 1 (A=19), cast Overseer
    A: Dart the Overseer
    W: Attack for 1 (A=18), cast Revoker and name Lavamancer
    A: Cast Lavamancer
    W: Attack with both (A=15)
    A: Tap Mountain for red, sac Mountain to flashback Dart on Revoker, then use the red mana and exile Bowman and Mountain from the grave to activate Lavamancer on the token.

But you have smarter lines. Let me try this:
    W: Attack for 1 (A=19), don't cast anything as you are ahead anyway
    W: Attack for 1 (A=18), still don't cast anything
    A: Now I'll lose the race if I don't kill the 1/1, and I can't use Lavamancer just yet, so I'll have to Darte the token.
    W: Now I'm in a bit of a hassle, because you can force me to flashback the Spike before I can use Lavamancer.
    Say you cast Overseer now. I can either Lavamancer it right now but lose Spike flashback, or I flashback Dart but lose Lavamancer.
    Or you cast Revoker first, which I can't Lavamancer anyway (you just name him) so I'll have to block Revoker and flashback Spike on Overseer.
    A: Whatever you cast, I keep Lavamancer to block and trade with Revoker, and flashback Dart on Overseer for the draw.

I don't see any better lines right now, so maybe it becomes 4-1 for me?
    Unless you find more cool things to try.

This matchup is interesting, because I kind of designed my deck to beat yours, but your deck is really versatile.

EDIT: Wait. Can't you use the same strat on the draw?
    Bowman / Walker / Lavaman, kill Walker with Bowman / attack with 1/1 flyer, don't cast stuff yet / Attack with Lavaman.
    No, you have to do things, because while you are faster, I can use Dart on your head as well to steal the race.
    Wow, Lavamancer and Dart together, both on your head. That's even faster than your race on the draw. Let me rethink:

OTD for me
    W: Attack for 1 (A=19), don't cast anything as you are ahead anyway
    W: Attack for 1 (A=18), still don't cast anything
    A: Since I can steal the race with Lavamancer's ability and Dart on your head, I can start attacking. Lavaman attacks, W=19
    W: If you keep attacking and not casting anything, you will die with me on 2 or 3 life. If you cast Revoker or Overseer, it will die to Dart. So you keep the 1/1 flyer back to defend.
    A: Now, if I want to try to win, I'll need to Dart the token anyway. So Dart token, attack with Lavaman, W=18
    W: Cast Revoker, name Lavaman.
    A: Now you have the faster clock, so I'll again need to defend and block + trade with Lavaman and flashback Dart on Overseer for the draw.
    Which might also work for you on the draw:

OTP for me
    A: Mountain, Bowman
    A: Lavamancer, use Bowman on Walker, you get 1/1 flyer
    W: Do nothing, keep token back for defense
    A: Uh... Dart token and attack? W=19
    W: Cast Revoker, name Lavamancer
    A: Still have to block and trade Lavaman with Revoker and flashback Dart for Overseer.

So 2-2?

Complicated stuff, this.

EDIT2: Chess24 chat was indeed rather cancerous. Disappointing, since the Chess24 chat is usually a lot nicer than YT or Twitch. Or maybe I just read mr. Dodgy's silly jokes.
    Join the 4 Card Blind competition!

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

Quote Originally Posted by GoblinSmashmaster View Post
    Goblins smash! Then Sylvan keeps you safe from Lackey & Mayor gets Exiled. 4-1
    I think you're right that the best I can really get on the play is a draw, I didn't consider you attacking Lackey into Safekeeper to force the trade. Updating my post.

So 2-2?

Complicated stuff, this.

EDIT2: Chess24 chat was indeed rather cancerous. Disappointing, since the Chess24 chat is usually a lot nicer than YT or Twitch. Or maybe I just read mr. Dodgy's silly jokes.
    Yeah, silly me forgot you could just remove my Hangarback with Fire Bowman on the play, so it ends up with Revoker staring down Grim Lavamancer instead.

It does look like DD is the correct result though, which is funny.

Turns out that free chat is going to be a cancer no matter what, even if the moderation tries to keep up.

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Yeah, silly me forgot you could just remove my Hangarback with Fire Bowman on the play, so it ends up with Revoker staring down Grim Lavamancer instead.

It does look like DD is the correct result though, which is funny.

Turns out that free chat is going to be a cancer no matter what, even if the moderation tries to keep up.
    If you watch something and there is a free chat, then everyone speaking there is either a total psycho / moron or a better player than everyone you can see playing in the video feed :)

Damn... i had wrath of pie's, H's and FTW's decks in my initial listings... Than I thought that everyone was going to play Triple overseer and went cute with legion's end and nissa's choosen...

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Tylert View Post
    Damn... i had wrath of pie's, H's and FTW's decks in my initial listings... Than I thought that everyone was going to play Triple overseer and went cute with legion's end and nissa's choosen...
    I'm surprised you didn't answer Overseers with Deputy of Detention

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    Yeah, I can't believe Tylert missed an opportunity to play Aether Vial. He could have even played Reflector Mage for Wizard tribal!

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

VIal was not a creature spell, hence, i did not think about it :)
    You gotta think outside of the box sometimes, and apparently this is not my forte...

Sep 2011

For the next round (Russian Life Poker), are we banning anything?

Thanks for the welcome. Extra thanks to Wrath of Pie for pointing me in this direction.

DECKS FOR ROUND 3 OF SEASON 6 - DEVIANT LEGACY: TRIBAL

Me, silkster: Chancellor of the Tangle, Aether Vial, Cabal Therapist, Ravenous Chupacabra

Dart can keep me from activating Therapist, but I just go too big. WW, 6 points

On the play I catch the Mayor with upkeep or draw step vial. On the draw I'm too slow. WL, 3 points

Holy yikes! If I had thought of this, I would have played this. On the play, I can catch the Mother. When I get to Chupacabra, Karakas bounces Student on defence, then Student outgrows my 2/2. If I ever tick vial past 4, I lose my 2/2, and my 6/7 would never last in play. LL

On the play I catch Morophon and then outclass the Lackey. On the draw, the Chupacabra is a turn too slow. WL, 3 points

I was like "yeah, I can beat 2 drops", but I can't beat Revoker. LL

I can't beat one that sticks past Chupacabra. WL, 3 points

I go very big. WW, 6 points

I thought people would play Ostracize this round, not Duress. WL, 3 points

I'm 50-50 in wins and losses. Totally average.

Quote Originally Posted by Tylert View Post
    If I had thought of Leyline+Karakas, there's no way I would have given that up. That said, I didn't think of triple Overseer. Actually, I couldn't think of any reasonably decks. I started with Vial+Chancellor+Chupacabra and from there it was just a search for the last card. At first I was looking for land destruction, cause I was afraid too many games would end in draws where I leave Vial on 4 and never do anything while you don't play your threat. Therapist is good for that, but also does something against really aggressive decks.

The only other decks I could think of were double Spirit Guide decks, which would have gotten 12 or 15 points. I was not on the pulse.

PS: I see that people put card tags around each card individually. I don't think I did that, but I will next time.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

For the next round (Russian Life Poker), are we banning anything?
    Should we?

I'm not 100% sold on banning Leyline of the Singularity just yet.
    Maybe we should, because banning Karakas instead is silly, and the combo is quite insane, but still.
    What do you guys think?

I haven't decided on my deck for next round yet, so we can do whatever we feel like doing.

Sep 2011

Welcome to our 4CB group!

Quote Originally Posted by silkster View Post
    Holy yikes! If I had thought of this, I would have played this. On the play, I can catch the Mother. When I get to Chupacabra, Karakas bounces Student on defence, then Student outgrows my 2/2. If I ever tick vial past 4, I lose my 2/2, and my 6/7 would never last in play. LL
    Good point. I forgot you can Therapy the Mother by Vialing in Therapist on your upkeep, but Karakas still protects Student.

On the play I catch Morophon and then outclass the Lackey. On the draw, the Chupacabra is a turn too slow. WL, 3 points
    OTP if he doesn't play Lackey and waits, he can hold open Path to Exile for Therapist. You can hold back too, but then you end up leaving Vial @ 1 forever and not being able to do anything (draw). To avoid the draw, you have to either play out Therapist into PtE or tick Vial up to 2, either way losing the ability to pick off Morophon. It doesn't matter because Chupacabra still lands in time.

In our game "do nothing" is a viable option to force a draw, so just remember to play around that. It could make a difference in future rounds.

At first I was looking for land destruction, cause I was afraid too many games would end in draws where I leave Vial on 4 and never do anything while you don't play your threat. Therapist is good for that, but also does something against really aggressive decks.
    Land destruction is really good against 1 land decks, like Leyline+Karakas. I took the gamble people wouldn't use LD if we had to run 2 creatures, but that could change in other rounds. There's been a lot of LD in past rounds.

Double Spirit Guide and Double Chancellor enable some silly decks. I was hoping to see some people play them, but they may not have done well in this meta anyway.

Sep 2011

Should we?

I'm not 100% sold on banning Leyline of the Singularity just yet.
    Maybe we should, because banning Karakas instead is silly, and the combo is quite insane, but still.
    What do you guys think?

I haven't decided on my deck for next round yet, so we can do whatever we feel like doing.
    What's happening for this round?

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Yeah, I got a little sick. No corona, thankfully.
    Let me "cough up" a deck real quick.

Before that, here's the standings for the round:
    1. FTW: 44 - 5,5
    2. Asthereal (TO): 34 - 4,3
    3. Wrath of Pie: 32 - 4
    4. alphastryk: 28 - 3,5
    5. silkster: 24 - 3
    6. GoblinSmashmaster: 19 - 2,4
    7. H: 18 - 2,3
    8. Tylert: 8 - 1
    8. Moosedog: 8 - 1

Whicht leads to these standings in the season so far:
    1. FTW: 13,7
    2. Asthereal (TO): 11,3
    3. Wrath of Pie: 10,7
    4. Moosedog: 9,8
    5. Tylert: 8,7
    6. alphastryk: 6
    7. H: 3,3
    8. silkster: 3
    9. GoblinSmashmaster: 2,4

So that's a pretty significant shakeup, in which FTW takes the lead with an excellent round.

Thread Information