Page 153 of 332 FirstFirst ... 53103143149150151152153154155156157163203253 ... LastLast
Results 3,041 to 3,060 of 6623

Thread: 4 Card Blind

Re: 4 Card Blind

The really bad news is that now I have to put in actual effort in my submissions, so now it's back to eighth place for me.

Reeplcheep for round: 3 things are certain: death, taxes, and LD.

1. Asthereal (TO): Forest, Ghost Quarter, Scavenger Folk, Young Wolf
    2/2 draws 2/2. 2-2.

2. Reeplcheep: Plains, Ghost Quarter, Sacred Cat, Akrasan Squire
    Thats me, taking my favourite deck that didn't perform and adding LD.

3. Wrath of Pie: Ghost Quarter, Plains, Akrasan Squire, Akrasan Squire
    Pseudo-mirror where whoever attacks first wins. 3-3.

4. Karshtakavaar: Skyline Cascade, Selesnya Sanctuary, Phantom Nomad, Hydra's Growth
    Great voltron deck! Glad to see you join us. Unfortunately bouncelands get wrecked by LD. 6-0.

5. dte: Swamp, Ostracize, Shrieking Affliction, Typhoid Rats
    2/2 lifelink races affliction. 6-0.

6. GoblinSmashmaster: Veinfire Borderpost, Mountain, Plague Stinger, Consuming Fervor
    Infect > lifelink. 0-6.

7. Tylert: Swamp, Chronomaton, Wretched banquet, Unearth
    Chronomaton is pretty sad w/o mana. 6-0.

8. alphastryk: Ghost Quarter, Plains, Savannah Lions, Savannah Lions
    Pseudo-mirror but this time we can trade. 2-2.

9. H: Island, Force Spike, Force Spike, Spectral Sailor
    1/1 loses to my board. 6-0.

10. FTW: Plains, Cenn's Tactician, Gideon's Lawkeeper, Icatian Javelineer
    3 dudes beat a Javelineer. 6-0

11. maxx!: Plains, Ghost Quarter, Icatian Javelineers, Icatian Javelineers
    I thought about javelineer, but valued the lifelink/recursion more. It hurts though in the pseudo-mirror. 0-6.

12. silkster: Forest, Young Wolf, Thallid, Ghost Quarter
    Totally missed thallid. I get you to 8 and then you stabilize. 0-6.

11 W 2 D for 35. Copying the zeitgeist seems to do better than my brews.
    edit: 11W 4D for37
    Last edited by Reeplcheep; 11-01-2020 at 10:29 AM.

This was the list I had planned to send in last week, then sent in that terrible Reclaim deck around 2AM local time in a sleepy delirium. I had no time at all for 4CB this week, and after seeing how poorly I did last week and how well the 2 threat Strip Mine decks did, I felt fine sending this in (not that I had time to brew anything else).

maxx!: Plains, Ghost Quarter, Icatian Javelineers, Icatian Javelineers

Whoever goes second has to spend their whole first turn on Ghost Quarter, and then ends up behind in the race. The difference is that Young Wolf blocks better than Javelineers. OTP I force you to stay back, OTD you just race me. 1-4

We each get a 1-drop, but mine kill yours and live. 6-0

Same as Reeplcheep. 6-0

4. Karshtakavaar: Skyline Cascade, Selesnya Sanctuary, Phantom Nomad, Hydra's Growth
    Welcome! This is a really cool deck. Unfortunate about all the Ghost Quarters this round. I assume they will be banned shortly. 6-0

I can't keep enough cards in my hand to stay alive vs Affliction if I play a threat. But you can't play anything else and we stare. 2-2

6. GoblinSmashmaster: Veinfire Borderpost, Mountain, Plague Stinger, Consuming Fervor
    Plague Stinger dies to a javelin before he suits up. 6-0

You only get to play 1 card before I Quarter your Swamp. Chronomaton dies to a Javelin, and Banquet doesn't stop me since I have a second threat. 6-0

Javelineers beat Savannah Lions. 6-0

Force Spikes will never hit anything since as soon as you show the Island it gets Quartered, so your only option is to play the Sailor, who eats a javelin. 6-0

2 Javelineers beats 1. 6-0

This is me :]

Same as Asthereal. 1-4

1+6+6+6+2+6+6+6+6+6+1 = 52

Much better than the 4 points I got last week! Still trying to get a handle on Peasant. It is surprisingly different from Pauper. Way more than I expected.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    Hmm that makes sense. I didn't consider that holding Thallid gets you a turn back.
    Can I also do this with my Folk?
    I think so.

F: Javelineers
    A: Quarter the land
    F: Attack, A=19
    A: Wolf
    F: Wait
    A: Attack, F=19, don't cast anything
    F: To win the race you have to attack, so you do, A=18
    A: Attack, F=18, now, with Javelineers tapped, I cast Folk
    From here you can ping Folk, but it costs a turn now.
    Join the 4 Card Blind competition!

Hi all, thanks for all the welcoming messages as I die horribly to GQ :D

0-6, Ghost Quarter before I get to do anything

0-6, Ghost Quarter wrecks me again

0-6, Oop, another Ghost Quarter, GG

Bye. Ey that me

0 - 6, Ostracize takes my only threat.

This deck goldfishes on 6, but Skyline Cascade -might- make it interesting (as does Infect vs Phantom creature). If you Fervor the Plague Stinger right away, I have Skyline Cascade still in hand and you can't reach 10 infect before Stinger shrinks to death (4 + 2 + 1 /= 10). You could refuse to Fervor the Plague Stinger until I play the Cascade so lethal is still possible, in which case we race. I could refuse to Cascade until you Fervor, in which case I lose to what is effectively an unblockable 2/2 and Become Immense. You always attack with the Stinger, as it can't profitably block a Nomad so not attacking just puts yourself behind on the race for no benefit. I always Cascade the Stinger after the first attack or I'm getting behind in the race for no benefit, cause you can keep holding Fervor to make me hold Cascade. So lets look at the race.

OTP:
    1 - Skyline Cascade tapped. Borderpost off the Mountain.
    2 - I Conclave the Cascade. Mountain, Stinger.
    3 - I hold the Cascade and play Nomad. Can't Fervor here or you lose to Stinger dying before getting to lethal infect, so I take 1 in the air.
    4 - I Cascade the Stinger and swing for 2. You pass, as there's no point getting a -1/-1 counter next upkeep for no damage this turn.
    5 - I enchant the Nomad and take you to 15. Stinger untaps, gets Fervored and takes me to 5 poison.
    6 - Nomad gets even more heads and takes you to 9. Stinger takes me to 8 poison.
    7 - Nomad becomes A Very Large Boy and takes you to -3.

OTD:
    1 - Borderpost bounces Mountain, I Cascade
    2 - Mountain, Stinger, I Conclave.
    3 - Swing for 1 infect, I Cascade the Stinger and play Nomad.
    4 - Pass for the same reason as above. I enchant the Nomad and swing for 3.
    5 - Stinger untaps and gets angry, but will be smaller than the attacking Nomad so can't be held to block. I go to 5 poison. Nomad also becomes an angry boy and takes you to 11.
    6 - Stinger becomes less angry but still takes me to 8 poison. Nomad grows only angrier and takes you to -1

I think this is 6-0, as I can't find a line where there's a block with the Stinger that kills the Nomad and doesn't make it impossible to get to 10 infect, and I think I outrace with Skyline in the picture. Happy to be proven wrong, as I refuse to believe my deck functioned as intended. EDIT: I'm a numpty. Infect is still damage that can be prevented. There's no situation where a Plague Stinger of any size kills a Phantom Nomad with more than one counter on it. Also, in response to FTW's line: As Consuming Fervor gives the triggered ability to the creature it enchants, I control both the 'add -1/-1 counter' and 'double +1/+1 counters' triggers, so I always double before I shrink - APNAP doesn't come into it. Confident this is a 6-0 now.

See, here's the threat I was expecting, Chronomaton. However, you run my one weakness: Literally any form of interaction. 0-6

0-6. My nemesis returns.

Man, this 'running interaction' strategy is pretty solid. However, I have enough mana to eventually Nomad and pay for a single Spike. While I never get to Hydra's Growth, a 2/2 outraces a 1/1, even when that 1/1 gets to attack two extra times. 6-0. I'm still looking for how I lose this one.
    I am wondering about the inclusion of a second Spike over a different axis of interaction though - is Piracy Charm legal?

0-6. By my napkin calculations, exponential growth beats linear growth even with Javelineer slowing things down. Sadly, -someone- had to include interaction in their deck. Lawkeeper keeps my massive Phantom Hydra down while I die to literally anything.

0-6. Man, Strip Mine is pretty good.

0-6. One last battle against my nemesis.

12 points! Poorly timed Karoo deck is poorly timed. I got overly excited at the prospect of bouncelands interacting with Zendikars ETB lands and forgot to consider the still-present threat of low opportunity cost LD. I was totally expecting to be bodied by literally any removal or discard, so the fact there was only one of each was a surprise to me. Was hoping to present a fast clock that would beat other decks trying to just race, and that seems to have happened - sadly, only one of that too.
    That said, I'm happy to be taking part in one of these as I have been wanting to do so for quite a while now.
    Last edited by Karshtakavaar; 10-29-2020 at 09:34 AM.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Karshtakavaar View Post
    Hi all, thanks for all the welcoming messages as I die horribly to GQ :D

That said, I'm happy to be taking part in one of these as I have been wanting to do so for quite a while now.
    Welcome to our game! Glad you had the opportunity to join. You just got unlucky picking the one round where LD was most commonly played (last round there were 2 Strip Mines, then just 1 the 3 rounds before that). Your deck would have been strong in other rounds!

In our game, if you can't win, one of the options is to play for a draw by doing nothing. You're not forced to race. If the opponent can't win if you don't attack or play certain cards, then it just becomes a stalemate. DD 2-2

GoblinSmashmaster can't race you, but he has a line where he can force a draw by putting Consuming Fervor on your creature.

Bye. Ey that me

This deck goldfishes on 6, but Skyline Cascade -might- make it interesting (as does Infect vs Phantom creature). If you Fervor the Plague Stinger right away, I have Skyline Cascade still in hand and you can't reach 10 infect before Stinger shrinks to death (4 + 2 + 1 /= 10). You could refuse to Fervor the Plague Stinger until I play the Cascade so lethal is still possible, in which case we race. I could refuse to Cascade until you Fervor, in which case I lose to what is effectively an unblockable 2/2 and Become Immense. You always attack with the Stinger, as it can't profitably block a Nomad so not attacking just puts yourself behind on the race for no benefit. I always Cascade the Stinger after the first attack or I'm getting behind in the race for no benefit, cause you can keep holding Fervor to make me hold Cascade. So lets look at the race.

OTP:
    3 - I hold the Cascade and play Nomad. Can't Fervor here or you lose to Stinger dying before getting to lethal infect, so I take 1 in the air.
    4 - I Cascade the Stinger and swing for 2. You pass, as there's no point getting a -1/-1 counter next upkeep for no damage this turn.
    5 - I enchant the Nomad and take you to 15. Stinger untaps, gets Fervored and takes me to 5 poison.
    6 - Nomad gets even more heads and takes you to 9. Stinger takes me to 8 poison.
    7 - Nomad becomes A Very Large Boy and takes you to -3.

OTD:
    1 - Borderpost bounces Mountain, I Cascade
    2 - Mountain, Stinger, I Conclave.
    3 - Swing for 1 infect, I Cascade the Stinger and play Nomad.
    4 - Pass for the same reason as above. I enchant the Nomad and swing for 3.
    5 - Stinger untaps and gets angry, but will be smaller than the attacking Nomad so can't be held to block. I go to 5 poison. Nomad also becomes an angry boy and takes you to 11.
    6 - Stinger becomes less angry but still takes me to 8 poison. Nomad grows only angrier and takes you to -1

I think this is 6-0, as I can't find a line where there's a block with the Stinger that kills the Nomad and doesn't make it impossible to get to 10 infect, and I think I outrace with Skyline in the picture. Happy to be proven wrong, as I refuse to believe my deck functioned as intended. EDIT: I'm a numpty. Infect is still damage that can be prevented. There's no situation where a Plague Stinger of any size kills a Phantom Nomad with more than one counter on it. Confident this is a 6-0 now.

Consider this line instead.

OTP:
    3 - I hold the Cascade and play Nomad. Stinger doesn't attack. Fervor on Nomad (Nomad becomes 5/5, base 3/3 with 2 +1/+1 counters)
    4 - On your upkeep, Nomad gets a -1/-1 counter nullifying a counter (4/4, 1 counter). You swing for 4. Play Cascade tapped.
    5 - Nomad goes to 3/3 (0 counters). Enchant the Nomad to 4/4 (1 counter). Swing for 4.
    6 - APNAP: Nomad gets a -1/-1 first (0 counters), then doubles (0 counters) to 3/3. Swing for 3.
    7 - Nomad shrinks to 2/2. Swing for 2
    8 - Nomad shrinks to 1/1. Swing for 1 (14 damage total)
    9 - Nomad dies. Stinger now attacks you to death.
    Loss.

To avoid getting your creature killed by Fervor and then dying to Plague Stinger, you need to play Skyline Cascade earlier for mana and lose the trigger so you can enchant your guy sooner. Then GoblinSmashmaster still can't race, but he can trade to draw.

Better line for you OTP:
    3 - Play Cascade and Nomad. Consuming Fervor on Nomad 5/5 (base 3/3 with 2 counters), Stinger stays back.
    4 - Nomad goes to 4/4 (1 counter). Enchant it to 5/5 (2 counters).

If Nomad attacks, Stinger blocks. The damage is prevented by Nomad loses a counter to 4/4 (1 counter).
    5 - Upkeep Nomad goes down to 0 counters, then doubles to 0 counters - still 3/3. It attacks for 3.
    6 - Nomad shrinks to 2/2. It attacks for 2.
    7 - Nomad shrinks to 1/1. It attacks for 1. 6 damage dealt total.
    8 - Nomad dies.
    Draw

If Nomad doesn't attack on turn 4, Stinger just holds back and passes.
    5 - Upkeep Nomad goes to 4/4 (1 counter), then doubles to 5/5 (2 counters). If Nomad attacks, same problem as turn 4.
    6 - Upkeep Nomad goes to 4/4 (1 counter), then doubles to 5/5 (2 counters). If Nomad attacks, same problem as turn 4.
    7 - Upkeep Nomad goes to 4/4 (1 counter), then doubles to 5/5 (2 counters). If Nomad attacks, same problem as turn 4.
    Draw

The same thing happens with you OTD.

Thanks for the warm welcome, it's really appreciated :D

3 - Play Cascade and Nomad. Consuming Fervor on Nomad 5/5 (base 3/3 with 2 counters), Stinger stays back.
    4 - Nomad goes to 4/4 (1 counter). Enchant it to 5/5 (2 counters).
    I did spot enchanting my dude with the Fervor, but I disagree with where it leads to. APNAP cares about who controls the trigger and in the case of Consuming Fervor, the trigger is granted to a creature I control and is not on the enchantment itself like it is on Hydra's Growth (EDIT: Or on Unstable Mutation, as it turns out. Unstable Mutation would have led to the above scenario). So on the following turns:

If Nomad attacks and Stinger blocks: The damage is prevented by Nomad, it loses a counter. It's a 4/4 with 1 counter.
    5 - Upkeep I have two triggers - one from Phantom Nomad, granted by Consuming Fervor, and one from Hydra's Growth. I put the -1/-1 counter trigger on the stack first, then the Hydra's Growth trigger. Nomad grows to a 5/5 with 2 counters, then shrinks to a 4/4 with 1. It attacks for 4.
    6 - Nomad grows to a 5/5 with 2 counters, then to a 4/4 with 1. It attacks for 4
    7 - This keeps happening.
    8 - It's still happening.
    I have a 4/4, he has nothing, mate in 5.

OTOH, if Nomad doesn't attack on turn 4, and Stinger also doesn't attack.
    5 - Upkeep Nomad doubles counters, and loses one. Now it's a 6/6 with 3 counters. Swing for 6, Stinger can't block and remove all the counters.
    6 - Upkeep, Nomad doubles and loses one - now it's a 8/8 with 5 counters. Swing for 8, Stinger is still just pushing 1 infect a turn.
    This is a losing battle for GoblinSmashmaster, I get bigger and Stinger stays the same.

I haven't done the math for OTD, but I assume it's the same - has to be two triggers from the Fervor before Hydra's comes down for the Fervor to kill my Nomad, and a non-Fervor'd Plague Stinger can't race Discount Kalonian Hydra. I always curve 2 into 3 against him, so there's only one upkeep where I have to shrink my Nomad, and I can dodge the Plague Stinger putting the second counter on it.

Sorry if this is coming across as passive aggressive or something, I do genuinely appreciate the effort to look at and respond to my matchups and having someone check my work is definitely a good idea :P

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Sorry if this is coming across as passive aggressive or something, I do genuinely appreciate the effort to look at and respond to my matchups and having someone check my work is definitely a good idea :P
    Don't worry about that. We have a rule where optimal play is required from both players.
    This means that when a different line is better for a player, that line is played by that player.

And optimal play requires us to know the rules perfectly, which is impossible because this game is super hard, even if you're only using four cards.

EDIT: Also, FTW please check my post above. I think I too have a line OTD against you where I can win a turn by waiting to cast my Folk.

Sep 2011

I did spot enchanting my dude with the Fervor, but I disagree with where it leads to. APNAP cares about who controls the trigger and in the case of Consuming Fervor, the trigger is granted to a creature I control and is not on the enchantment itself like it is on Hydra's Growth (EDIT: Or on Unstable Mutation, as it turns out. Unstable Mutation would have led to the above scenario). So on the following turns:
    Oh interesting. I treated it as a color-shifted Unstable Mutation with modern wording, but it appears there's a relevant functional difference between the two cards. If it grants the ability to the creature and you control the trigger (not the aura's controller), then you can absolutely change the order to avoid death and win easily. 6-0 for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Asthereal View Post
    EDIT: Also, FTW please check my post above. I think I too have a line OTD against you where I can win a turn by waiting to cast my Folk.
    Yes, I agree. You could use the same line as silkster to avoid the draw.

As Consuming Fervor gives the triggered ability to the creature it enchants, I control both the 'add -1/-1 counter' and 'double +1/+1 counters' triggers, so I always double before I shrink - APNAP doesn't come into it.
    This is a really nice catch!

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

1. Asthereal: Ghost quarter wrecks my deck. 0-6 --> 0
    2. Reeplcheep: Ghost quarter wrecks my deck. 0-6 --> 0
    3. Wrath of pie: Ghost quarter wrecks my deck. 0-6 --> 0
    4. Karshtakavaar: AAAahhhh... I thought I was gonna say this all matches long :) I have removal and just enough time to grow chrono to power 2 before you can outgrow Nomad and I can play banquet. 6-0 --> 6
    5. dte: I'm not fast enough. 0-6 --> 6
    6. Goblinsmashmaster: I can kill stinger before you can grow it over chronomaton and bring back chronomaton from the earth if it dies to Fervor. 6-0 --> 12
    7. Me.
    8. Alphastryk: Ghost quarter wrecks my deck. 0-6 --> 12
    9. H: You can counter two spells, this has to be chrono and unearth. I kill sailor with banquet. luckily, on the play chrono lands first and it's an easy win (dixit FTW) 4-1 --> 16
    10. FTW: As long as you cast javelineers first, you can Tap chrono and attack me with tactitian. 0-6 --> 16
    11. Maxx!: Ghost quarter wrecks my deck. 0-6 --> 16
    12. silkster: Ghost quarter wrecks my deck. 0-6 --> 16

Total = 16. No work = no win :) guys, how much gems do you have hidden there??? :)
    Last edited by Tylert; 10-30-2020 at 05:00 AM.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Tylert View Post

9. H: You can counter two spells, this has to be chrono and unearth. I kill sailor with banquet. 2-2 --> 14
    I think you win on the play, because you can cast Chrono before H has counter mana up and then it's an easy win.

My matchup is the same. OTP I get Cenn's Tactician first and win. OTD H counters my 2 best creatures and I trade my 3rd card with Sailor.

4-1?

guys, how much gems do you have hidden there??? :)
    Near the end of the Pauper Season , I made a spreadsheet for Peasant ideas that would come to mind while brainstorming. My list was really big, and it's been interesting to see what's been good (cause most if it hasn't even been good enough to find what cards I'd play with them) and what I missed.
    Laboratory Maniac was a big surprise.
    Mistveil Plains I thought wouldn't be good until close to the end (it really needs that bauble).
    Invisible Stalker was on my list but I never even tried to build around it. I think I was aiming too high trying to give it power and lifelink. I had Taste for Mayhem on my watch list in Pauper, but I abandoned it when Ornithopter got banned.
    Channel was a fun surprise. I'm always worried about playing turn 2 decks, but the raw power is undeniable.

Then there's a whole bunch of cards that I was excited to think of, but that feel really underwhelming when I actually try to make a list, like Fretwork Colony, Exemplar of Strength, Hymn to Tourach, and freaking Sol Ring. That card is super busted, but somehow never seems good enough. Somehow Borderposts are good, but Sol Ring isn't. I mean, I understand that Sol Ring uses your uncommon slot, and in this format the cost of returning a basic to your hand is actually an important ability. But it still feels weird.

I have high hopes for a few cards/decks that I think will be good soon, but there are often surprises in the moment. Ghost Quarter was fun because it pretty much forces your other cards to be land+creature+creature, but there's a lot of flexibility there as we saw this round. And then there's always the possibility that something like Fountain of Cho will be good, though I think the gem of that deck was the Steadfast Sentinel. To finally answer your question: about 3.

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

I think you win on the play, because you can cast Chrono before H has counter mana up and then it's an easy win.

My matchup is the same. OTP I get Cenn's Tactician first and win. OTD H counters my 2 best creatures and I trade my 3rd card with Sailor.

4-1?
    Good catch

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

H: Island, Force Spike, Force Spike, Spectral Sailor

I forgot GQ existed, 0-6

More GQ. 0-6

Yet more GQ. 0-6

You can cast your two drop with three mana and I can't beat that. 0-6

Hey, one I can win...on the Play, since Sailor can race the Rats. 3-3

I think I can win this one on the Play, countering the Boarderpost and Fervor. On the Draw though, I can counter Stinger, but I can't counter Fervor. 4-1

I lose on the Draw, on the Play I can only really force a draw. 1-4

Oh, hey GQ, nice to see you again. 0-6

9. H: Bye, myself.

I lose on the Draw, on the Play I can counter everything but Lawkeeper for a draw. 1-4

Oh, GQ, almost missed you! 0-6

Long time no see GQ. 0-6

Long story short, don't forget that GQ exists. Also, Force Spike always sucks, haha. 9 points is pretty terrible.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Feb 2014

Quote Originally Posted by silkster View Post
    I spent too much thought on Eldrazi this week, as they were the top non-banned decks of last week, but on further inspection they're vulnerable in the mana base and to removal. (I'm guessing that's what the Lawkeeper was for, in addition to just being removal that can attack.) In hindsight, I'm quite impressed that the Eldrazi found their spot so well, sandwiched between the dominance of Path to Exile and Ghost Quarter.
    Actually Eldrazi would have been pretty good here, with 2 * Hickory Woodlot, channel and Eldrazi Devastator (not making the hand mistake again!), would have scored 56, losing only to FTW and drawing against Tylert.
    I thought of it (2nd woodlot over nantuko, as I thought - correctly here - that no one would play blackmail), and decided against it, thinking many would play a solution against Eldrazi, and decided to pack one myself. Bad idea :)
    And for being after path, after knight I thought everyone would play Knight & Path, saw that path did badly and I was going to submit another deck than eldrazi until I saw that Path was banned, and thought that Eldrazi was more fun.

So the question was: with the power of SM/GQ prominently displayed, does that mean you should play it, or does it mean that everyone will play it and you should build against it? I figured that GQ wouldn't actually be that great this week because we've used up the powerful one-drops. So I figured that people wouldn't be too worried about GQ and would leave themselves at least partially vulnerable to it. And I figured that Thallid was a good enough ace in the hole.
    Thallid was a great idea, and a card I am so fond of!
    On the fun facts: as strip mine / GQ are colorless, it is basically a basic land + 2 1-drop common threats of the colour of your choice. The best decks were green, then white. No one bothered with the other colours.
    A glimpse at the banned list, and we see 38 black cards, 23 R, 21 U, 18 W and 8 G.
    G has clearly been underused, and no wonder finding threats in black is tough ;)

Interesting reasoning. I also thought that the weak remaining 1-drops would make GQ decks seem unappealing, so I thought that would lead to more people playing around GQ instead of playing it. Must be the same thing dte thought. So I tried to 1-up the people building against it, instead of just building against it or playing it (which both seem better here). I thought maybe 1-2 people would play it at most and accepted taking those losses, really surprised to see 6!!
    Definitely same thoughts.

freaking Sol Ring. That card is super busted, but somehow never seems good enough. Somehow Borderposts are good, but Sol Ring isn't. I mean, I understand that Sol Ring uses your uncommon slot, and in this format the cost of returning a basic to your hand is actually an important ability. But it still feels weird.
    Ancient tomb has also not been played. I toyed with a suicide deck of Ancient tomb + 3*legionary . It would have done kinda ok actually this week. It even races infect!

Total = 16. No work = no win :) guys, how much gems do you have hidden there??? :)
    Well, actually there is one card/archetype that would have done incredible this week....
    An old favorite of yours, that only ever need one mana ;)

Sep 2011

This week certainly looks like it's Ghost Quarters all the way down, but there are some lists here and there that are just really different. After correcting some mistakes, I think my other deck would have done a tiny bit better, but I could easily be missing something like I was in our matchup. Unfortunately, beating GQ might have been its real strength, so I'm not sure how useful it is moving forward.
    Looks like my 2 anti-GQ decks would have scored really well, but not much better than the best GQ decks did anyway. They're not as strong moving forward either but pretty strong against LD.

My shortlist of dangerous Peasant uncommons included:
    Mental Misstep
    Strip Mine
    Ghost Quarter
    The Rack
    Cabal Therapy
    Blackmail
    Chronomaton
    Elixir of Immortality
    Path to Exile
    Laboratory Maniac
    Force of Will
    storage lands
    2 others I won't spoil yet

Most are already banned now. Somehow I still managed to write off Lab Man as too weak, and not play around GQ even after showing how good Strip Mine is with 2 1-drop creatures. I never saw stuff like Mistveil Plains, Invisible Stalker, Channel or Hydra's Growth coming. There are some creative tricky decks popping up! Wide open format.

Invisible Stalker was on my list but I never even tried to build around it. I think I was aiming too high trying to give it power and lifelink. I had Taste for Mayhem on my watch list in Pauper, but I abandoned it when Ornithopter got banned.
    It was almost identical to the Silhana Ledgewalker + Taste for Mayhem deck earlier, a Pauper strategy like Infect + Unstable Mutation. Including Empty, it looks like GoblinSmashmaster has been basically playing Pauper decks in Peasant and still doing reasonably well.

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    Long story short, don't forget that GQ exists. Also, Force Spike always sucks, haha. 9 points is pretty terrible.
    When my deck gets a decisive win, I sometimes wonder what others were thinking. Then I realized that your deck was perfectly designed to crush the Channel decks, which were the top non-banned decks of last round. It also does work against Borderposts, where GQ isn't as good. Had you played this deck in round 4, it would have scored 32 points, for an above average 3.2 round points.

Quote Originally Posted by dte View Post
    Actually Eldrazi would have been pretty good here, with 2 * Hickory Woodlot, channel and Eldrazi Devastator (not making the hand mistake again!), would have scored 56, losing only to FTW and drawing against Tylert.
    I thought of it (2nd woodlot over nantuko, as I thought - correctly here - that no one would play blackmail), and decided against it, thinking many would play a solution against Eldrazi, and decided to pack one myself. Bad idea :)
    I thought about doubling up on lands just to play around GQ and it felt wrong to spend a whole card just to defend against one card. It's so useless in every other match up that it felt better to just play something else entirelyI think Tylert beats that Eldrazi deck. Cast Chrono and start growing it. This forces the Eldrazi to come out and attack. Then you just block the Eldrazi, point removal at it, and rebuy the robot.

I incorrectly thought that Blackmail would have a decent showing this week. I guess it has already lost all of these friends, so the pickings are getting slim.
    Carrion Feeder
    Corpulent Corpse
    Disowned Ancestor
    Fourth Bridge Prowler
    Fume Spitter
    Liliana's Steward
    Nip Gwillion
    Rimebound Dead
    Shamble Back
    Skittering Heartstopper
    Thornbow Archer
    Vampire Lacerator
    Vile Rebirth

I guess the same could have been said about GQ, except that it accepts friends of any colour. In all of Magic's history, if ever there was a week where Fallen Empires got to shine, this feels like it.

I kept looking for any kind of missed mana acceleration in Pauper, and kept asking myself: really, Crystal Vein never had a common printing online or in a commander set or whatever? I was so focused on it that I actually missed Ancient Tomb.

Quote Originally Posted by dte View Post
    Well, actually there is one card/archetype that would have done incredible this week....
    An old favorite of yours, that only ever need one mana ;)
    As I was reading this, I was wondering if you were about to give away some hidden gem, and then had a good laugh when I saw that it was a gem that was hiding in plain sight. Sneaky!

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Scores for round 5:
    1. silkster: 54 - 4,9
    2. maxx!: 52 - 4,7
    3. Asthereal (TO): 39 - 3,5
    4. Reeplcheep: 37 - 3,4
    5. dte: 35 - 3,2
    6. Wrath of Pie: 33 - 3
    7. alphastryk: 32 - 2,9
    8. GoblinSmashmaster: 28 - 2,5
    9. FTW: 24 - 2,2
    10. Tylert: 16 - 1,5
    11. Karshtakavaar: 12 - 1,1
    12. H: 9 - 0,8

Which leads to these bannings:
    Ghost Quarter
    Scavenger Folk
    Young Wolf
    Icatian Javelineers
    Thallid

And the season standings look as follows:
    1. silkster: 21,4
    2. dte: 20,9
    3. FTW: 20,2
    4. maxx!: 15,5
    5. GoblinSmashmaster: 14,4
    6. Wrath of Pie: 13,4
    7. alphastryk: 11,9
    8. Asthereal (TO): 10,9
    9. H: 9,6
    10. Tylert: 9,5
    11. Reeplcheep: 9
    12. Karshtakavaar: 1,1

So silk's win this round puts him back on top, closely followed by maxx! and FTW.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

ROUND 6 OF SEASON 8: PEASANT CONTINUED BANNATHON has started.

I have PM'ed myself my deck for round 6, so you can start sending me your decks.

DEADLINE: Wednesday the 4th of November at 11:00AM Central European Time.
    (That's my time zone. Pacific Time it'll probably be something like Tuesday night a bit past midnight, so keep that in mind.)

PLEASE NOTE:
    The way you send your deck to me matters. Please send it in the way described below, so it doesn't cost me an hour of editing before I can post all the decks.
    Please send your deck as follows: Swamp, Swamp, Terror, Black Knight.
    So with card tags around each card, and not above eachother, and with your Username and 4CB S08R06 in the topic.
    Don't forget to keep an eye on the banned list. You'll find it in the second post of the thread, or in our Google Spreadsheet.

After the deadline has passed, I will post all decks on the forum here, and you can start puzzling out your scores.
    If you have any questions, please read the first two posts of this thread first. If you can't find the answer there, drop a message here. We'll answer a.s.a.p.

Also, if you've been lurking on this thread and looking to join, you can step in anytime, any round. That's no problem at all. Just send me your deck before the deadline, and I'll add you to the competition.

Happy deck designing everybody!

Thread Information