Page 26 of 332 FirstFirst ... 162223242526272829303676126 ... LastLast

Thread: 4 Card Blind

Folk Punk Pirate
    Oct 2007
    Mannheim, Germany

Re: 4 Card Blind

Quote Originally Posted by Asthereal View Post
    Actually, I think Eater of Days wasn't that bad. Chalice just didn't do enough.
    Yeah, there may be a reason why Chalice is seeing close to zero play here. Field of Ruin is probably just be the supperior disruption
    Sneaky Pirates of Doom - Not really a Legacy Team anymore.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by spirit of the wretch View Post
    Yeah, there may be a reason why Chalice is seeing close to zero play here. Field of Ruin is probably just be the supperior disruption
    Yeah, I felt like trying it, with the full expectation that it wouldn't be great. And it wasn't. I felt like it was a toss up between my payoff being Rackling and TKS. I thought maybe there would be more Bridges and the like, but it didn't pan out.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Doesn't this go wrong on the draw?
    As in:
    T1: Tomb, Overseer
    T1: Magus
    T2: Field, Revoker. Tap Overseer (O=2/2, R=3/2)
    T2: Suspend Rift Bolt
    T3: Tap Overseer (O=3/3, R=4/3)
    T3: Rift Bolt resolves.

I think you could maybe have gone for Dismember.
    Regular Bolt runs into both Chalice and Sphere, but Dismember at least dodges Chalice.
    Or you could have gone über meta and try Lava Dart. Perhaps a tad too meta though.
    Ahh yes, you are right it does. I would have gone with dismember. I should have thought about it since I have it written down in my 4cb file with other possibilities. Plight of submitting last minute.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Quote Originally Posted by apple713 View Post
    Ahh yes, you are right it does. I would have gone with dismember. I should have thought about it since I have it written down in my 4cb file with other possibilities. Plight of submitting last minute.
    Really sad you didn't go Lava Dart though. Bad, but super techy against some cards.

Sep 2011

Really sad you didn't go Lava Dart though. Bad, but super techy against some cards.
    Ratchet Bomb would have done even better (manlands are not a threat with Magus).

My backup choice for this round was a City, SSG Magus deck but I wasn't smart enough to consider Ratchet Bomb as the other piece.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    Ratchet Bomb probably would have done as well or even better.
    Generally, Ratchet Bomb would have been interesting, yes. For instance instead of Chalice in spirit's and H's deck.
    But apple713 can't cast it after dropping Magus of the Moon.

Lava Dart would have helped murder Steel Overseer AND Phyrexian Revoker OTP in the match against Wrath.
    Also against the Plains, 3x small white dude deck it would have been super helpful.

Sep 2011

Lava Dart would have helped murder Steel Overseer AND Phyrexian Revoker OTP in the match we just discussed.
    Also against the Plains, 3x small white dude deck it would have been super helpful.
    Ratchet Bomb would have done the same, and also killed Griffin and Chronomaton and 1/1 tokens...basically everything he couldn't beat.

However I forgot he doesn't have the mana for it. He could cast it before Magus, which is limiting in many matchups, but probably would have been OK in the matches he didn't already WW.

4. Whoshim: Plains, Mother of Runes, Student of Warfare, Gideon's Lawkeeper

1. Asthereal (TO): Sandstone Needle, City of Traitors, Boldwyr Heavyweights, Aftershock 0-6

2. Wrath of Pie: Field of Ruin, Phyrexian Revoker, Steel Overseer, Ancient Tomb I believe that you can race me even when I am on the play if you name Lawkeeper. Your Revoker will grow too big too fast for my Student. 0-6

3. CptHaddock: Form of the Dragon, Dwarven Hold, Maze of Ith, Pithing Needle 0-6

5. spirit of the wretch: Ancient Tomb, City of Traitors, Chalice of the Void, Eater of Days 1-4

6. JackaBo: Bayou, Elves of Deep Shadow, Smallpox, Emrakul, the Aeons Torn OTP, you win. OTD, I can use Lawkeeper to keep you off of Smallpox, so we draw. 1-4

7. Ace/Homebrew: Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth, Radiant Fountain, Smallpox, Emrakul, the Aeons Torn 0-6

8. FTW: Force of Will, Misthollow Griffin, Saprazzan Cove, Web of Inertia 2-2

9. Strawberry Dwarf: Chancellor of the Forge, Chancellor of the Forge, Blazing Shoal, Blazing Shoal You can get in for a ton of damage initially, but then you cannot get past my 3 1/1s that will hit the table. 6-0

10. Tylert: City of traitors, Field of ruin, Phyrexian revoker, Chronomaton 4-1 Tentative

11. H: Chalice of the Void, Rackling, Ancient Tomb, City of Traitors 3-3

12. apple713: Magus of the Moon, Rift Bolt, Simian Spirit Guide, City of Traitors 6-0

23 points, though I think Tylert has to have some better line than what he posted. It is late here, so I will think about it more tomorrow. I made the wrong meta-call, running Mom into a bunch of artifacts.

There's always next week though...

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Quote Originally Posted by Whoshim View Post
    4. Whoshim: Plains, Mother of Runes, Student of Warfare, Gideon's Lawkeeper

10. Tylert: City of traitors, Field of ruin, Phyrexian revoker, Chronomaton 4-1 Tentative

23 points, though I think Tylert has to have some better line than what he posted. It is late here, so I will think about it more tomorrow.
    I, indeed, found a better line (or i was wrong in my first evaluation):

OTP: T1: I play field / chronomaton. you play student.
    T2: I play city, revoker on lawkeeper (because mother is useless) Chrono is 2/2. student has 1 counter
    T3: Chrono is 3/3. you pump student to 3/3 (2 counters) and attack (17)
    T4: Chrono is 4/4, I attack with revoker (18). You pump student (3 counters)
    T5: Chrono is 5/5. You pump student (4 counters)
    T6: Chrono is 6/6. You pump student (5 counters)
    T7: Chrono is 7/7. you pump student (6 counters)
    T8: Chrono is 8/8. you pump student (7 counters) and attack (9)
    T9: chrono is 9/9 i attack with revoker (16), you play mother
    T10: Chrono is 10/10, you play lawkeeper.
    We do it until turn 17 where i have a 16/16 chronomaton in play and a revoker vs your 4/4 double strike student and 2 1/1. You are at 16 so you have to block. I'm at 9.

If i attack with chrono, you chumpblock with mother. then if you attack with student i take 8 go to 1 (you can't attack with law keeper because you'd die in return). if i attack again you chump wiht lawkeeper, and i chump with revoker and win.

OTD: Same scenario except that, student should be able to attack one turn before and i'd be at 1 and you'd kill by attacking with 3 threats or i block student we both die, and i die to your 2 threats that can kill mine by keeping one in defence and attacking with the other one.

So 3-3 instead of 1-4.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Ratchet Bomb would have done the same, and also killed Griffin and Chronomaton and 1/1 tokens...basically everything he couldn't beat.

However I forgot he doesn't have the mana for it. He could cast it before Magus, which is limiting in many matchups, but probably would have been OK in the matches he didn't already WW.
    Ratchet bomb was a serious contender, especially since I played it last round but I knew that I wouldn't be able to cast it through a sphere of resistance. It would have been better against all those white 1 CMC creatures though. I guess in the future the choice comes down to whether sphere of resistance will be more highly represented than other choices.

I wasent ever really considering chalice of the void as a threat since it has made almost no appearances in the 4 other rounds. Maybe lava dart would have been better but it sucks if there is an x/2.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Quote Originally Posted by apple713 View Post
    Ratchet bomb was a serious contender, especially since I played it last round but I knew that I wouldn't be able to cast it through a sphere of resistance. It would have been better against all those white 1 CMC creatures though. I guess in the future the choice comes down to whether sphere of resistance will be more highly represented than other choices.

I wasent ever really considering chalice of the void as a threat since it has made almost no appearances in the 4 other rounds. Maybe lava dart would have been better but it sucks if there is an x/2.
    Dart can still kill an x/2 if you cast it twice on the same target.
    Looks a tad silly against Forest, Old-Growth Dryads, X, X though.

Edit: alright, I'm gonna stop advocating Lava Dart.

2. Wrath of Pie: Field of Ruin, Phyrexian Revoker, Steel Overseer, Ancient Tomb

1. Asthereal (TO): Sandstone Needle, City of Traitors, Boldwyr Heavyweights, Aftershock WL
    3. CptHaddock: Form of the Dragon, Dwarven Hold, Maze of Ith, Pithing Needle WW
    4. Whoshim: Plains, Mother of Runes, Student of Warfare, Gideon's Lawkeeper WW - Cenn's Tactician is better than Student, in case you were wondering. Not that it matters, because Revoker on your best threat (Student) easily wins anyways.
    5. spirit of the wretch: Ancient Tomb, City of Traitors, Chalice of the Void, Eater of Days WL
    6. JackaBo: Bayou, Elves of the deep shadow, Smallpox, Emrakul, the Aeons Torn WW - You never get to cast Smallpox against me.
    7. Ace/Homebrew: Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth, Radiant Fountain, Smallpox, Emrakul, the Aeons Torn WD - See Tylert's explanation.
    8. FTW: Force of Will, Misthollow Griffin, Saprazzan Cove, Web of Inertia WW
    9. Strawberry Dwarf: Chancellor of the Forge, Chancellor of the Forge, Blazing Shoal, Blazing Shoal DL
    10. Tylert: City of traitors, Field of ruin, Phyrexian revoker, Chronomaton DL
    11. H: Chalice of the Void, Rackling, Ancient Tomb, City of Traitors WW
    12. apple713: Magus of the Moon, Rift Bolt, Simian Spirit Guide, City of Traitors WD - Best removal looks like Dismember, although the option to cast a t1 2-drop threat like Hangarback Walker is not to be underestimated.

14w4d = 46

Operation Ban Field of Ruin looks to be quite successful.
    Last edited by Wrath of Pie; 03-20-2019 at 04:25 PM.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Quote Originally Posted by Wrath of Pie View Post
    Can't you just block his tokens with your dudes for the draw, at least OTP?
    T1: Tomb, dude (18)
    T1: Attack, you block one, both die (17, or double Shoal on the other puts you on 3)
    T2: Second dude (15 or 1, depending on whether he Shoaled or not)
    T2: Attack, you just block and all creatures are dead, so draw.

OTD looks worse:
    T1: Attack (18)
    T1: Tomb, dude (16)
    T2: Attack, you block one, double Shoal on the second one (1)
    Now you can't cast anything anymore and you die to the remaining gobbo.

Operation Ban Field of Ruin looks to be quite successful.
    Wrath makes a good point here.
    Field of Ruin wins many points again.
    Time to give it the axe?

Can't you just block his tokens with your dudes for the draw, at least OTP?
    T1: Tomb, dude (18)
    T1: Attack, you block one, both die (17, or double Shoal on the other puts you on 3)
    T2: Second dude (15 or 1, depending on whether he Shoaled or not)
    T2: Attack, you just block and all creatures are dead, so draw.
    My math was a bit off, that would do it.

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

2. Wrath of Pie: Field of Ruin, Phyrexian Revoker, Steel Overseer, Ancient Tomb

7. Ace/Homebrew: Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth, Radiant Fountain, Smallpox, Emrakul, the Aeons Torn WW - Casting Smallpox on the draw only makes me discard a threat and makes you sacrifice a land, then I Field your other land and win from there. Holding back is not an option for you because of Field.
    Your explanation for your win OTD doesn't work.
    T1 = he plays a land, you play field of ruins
    T2 = He plays radiant fountain (23/20) He smallpoxes (22/19), discards emrakul, top of library = EMrakul - Smallpox - Radiant fountain, you play ancient tomb and overseer (22/17)
    T3 = He draws emrakul, you play revoker (22/15) use overseer => 2/2 3/2
    T4 = He draws small pox, You attack 17/15
    T5 = He plays fountain (19/15) small pox (18/14) does the same thing, you loose revoker
    T6 = He draws emrakul, you attack 16/14
    T7 = He draws smallpox, you attack 14/14
    T8 = he draws smallpox, you loose.

Maybe you can keep upgrading overseer but i don't think you'll kill him anyway.

So you don't play anything. If he Small pox, you indeed have the time to field of ruin a land. However he can do nothing to draw.

WD instead of WW.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

1. Preliminary standings for round 5 show something interesting:

1. Wrath of Pie (46)
    2. Asthereal (41)
    2. Tylert (41)
    2. apple713 (41)

This would mean three players get rewarded 3 season points.
    That's a generous round, ladies and gentlemen!

But more importantly:
    Field of Ruin keeps scoring well. We had it on the watchlist for a while and I almost banned it last round.
    If someone is extremely opposed to banning it, speak up, or it gets the hammer for round 6.

Sep 2011

Does that make me 5th a 3rd time?

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Does that make me 5th a 3rd time?
    Afraid so. You're really suffering from this setup.

Next season we'll probably go for weighed scores per round as season points.
    With that setup, you would probably have been top 3 right now.

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

1. Preliminary standings for round 5 show something interesting:

1. Wrath of Pie (46)
    2. Asthereal (41)
    2. Tylert (41)
    2. apple713 (41)

This would mean three players get rewarded 3 season points.
    That's a generous round, ladies and gentlemen!

But more importantly:
    Field of Ruin keeps scoring well. We had it on the watchlist for a while and I almost banned it last round.
    If someone is extremely opposed to banning it, speak up, or it gets the hammer for round 6.
    to be noted that i had updated my score because of the same "do nothing scenario" vs ace/homebrew like wrath of pie and i am now at 42 :) sorry guys.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Quote Originally Posted by Tylert View Post
    to be noted that i had updated my score because of the same "do nothing scenario" vs ace/homebrew like wrath of pie and i am now at 42 :) sorry guys.
    Edit: that's sad. We could have gotten 3 extra season points this round, but now we're stuck at just one.

Thread Information