Page 38 of 332 FirstFirst ... 283435363738394041424888138 ... LastLast

Thread: 4 Card Blind

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Re: 4 Card Blind

Quote Originally Posted by apple713 View Post
    It is probably worth noting that this is the first round that war of the spark will be legal. It becomes legal on May 3rd.
    Indeed. I should read up on the new cards.

Also, you guys are quick. Four entries already for round 4.
    EDIT: Aaand we're at five.
    Last edited by Asthereal; 05-03-2019 at 08:00 AM.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Two days until the deadline. Don't forget to send in your decks!
    Join the 4 Card Blind competition!

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

The deadline for round 4 has passed, but I'm waiting for response on an illegal deck that was sent in.
    So if anyone still wants to send something in, you can do so until I've posted the decks for the round.

I expect to post decks in 4-ish hours tops.

EDIT: Illegal deck has been legalized, but I'll be doing some work stuff for a bit, so there's still time if people want to join.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

DECKS FOR ROUND 4 OF THE VINTAGE BANNATHON

1. Asthereal (TO): Snow-Covered Island, Mana Crypt, Show and Tell, Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
    2. Wrath of Pie: Badlands, Mox Ruby, Pardic Dragon, Blackmail
    3. apple713: Mox Sapphire, Mox Sapphire, Tolarian Academy, Jace, Wielder of Mysteries
    4. GoblinSmashmaster: Tolarian Academy, Mox Ruby, Memnite, Wheel of Fortune
    5. Whoshim: Mox Sapphire, Mox Sapphire, Tolarian Academy, Jace, Wielder of Mysteries
    6. FTW: Scrubland, Cenn's Tactician, Blackmail, Ghost Quarter
    7. H: Angrath's Rampage, Dreadhorde Arcanist, Swamp, Mox Ruby
    8. Tylert: Chancellor of the tangle, aether vial, myr superion, deputy of detention

Please post your scores and cross-check with the opponents.
    I'll update the Google Spreadsheet for the season, so you can enter your scores there as well: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Note for the Bannathon:
    With 8 participants, the top 4 scoring decks for this round will be banned for next rounds.
    So if you want to start brewing for round 4 already, keep that in mind.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Asthereal results for round 4:

1. Asthereal (TO): that's me, thinking I was clever. Not so much, as it turns out... Snow-Covered Island, Mana Crypt, Show and Tell, Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
    2. Wrath of Pie: Blackmail wrecks me OTD, OTP Emrakul should do it. 3-3
    3. apple713: I should have read the cards of the new set. Jace wins it. 0-6
    4. GoblinSmashmaster: Emrakul trigger retrieves my cards, so I get to go off again. Emry > Memnite (duh!). 6-0
    5. Whoshim: I should have read the cards of the new set. Jace wins it. 0-6
    6. FTW: Blackmail wrecks me OTD, OTP Emrakul should do it. 3-3
    7. H: Arcanist can't recast a CMC2 card, right? Making me sac Emry shuffles back S&T and Emry, so two turns later Emry returns and kills you, unless I miss something. 6-0
    8. Tylert: You keep Deputy in hand to use when I S&T Emry into play. The other dudes will kill me at some point. 0-6

Total: 18 points.
    Last edited by Asthereal; 05-08-2019 at 11:28 AM.

Sep 2011

Ah of course, they just printed another Lab Man. Should have looked at the new set.

FTW: Scrubland, Cenn's Tactician, Blackmail, Ghost Quarter

1. Asthereal (TO): OTP Blackmail takes Show and Tell or Island. OTD Emrakul kills me. WL 3-3
    2. Wrath of Pie: OTP you hide Badlands, I discard your threat and you discard mine. OTD you suspend the Dragon and I can't beat it. DL 1-4
    3. apple713: OTP Blackmail takes Jace or Academy. OTD you turn 1 me. WL 3-3
    4. GoblinSmashmaster: OTP Blackmail takes Ruby or Academy and Cenn beats Memnite. OTD I have no hand. WL 3-3
    5. Whoshim: OTP Blackmail takes Jace or Academy. OTD you turn 1 me. WL 3-3
    7. H: OTP Blackmail takes Swamp or Ruby and you can't cast spells. OTD you can play Arcanist, but then Ghost Quarter kills your Swamp and you can never cast Rampage. Cenn's Tactician eventually outgrows Arcanist and wins. WW 6-0
    8. Tylert: You hide Vial from Blackmail, so I take Deputy. Cenn's Tactician can grow big enough to stop Myr Superior or Chancellor on their own, and it can block two creatures, but it won't get big enough to win the double block in time. LL 0-6

19 points

5. Whoshim: Mox Sapphire, Mox Sapphire, Tolarian Academy, Jace, Wielder of Mysteries

1. Asthereal (TO): Snow-Covered Island, Mana Crypt, Show and Tell, Emrakul, the Aeons Torn 6-0

2. Wrath of Pie: Badlands, Mox Ruby, Pardic Dragon, Blackmail 3-3

3. apple713: Mox Sapphire, Mox Sapphire, Tolarian Academy, Jace, Wielder of Mysteries 3-3

4. GoblinSmashmaster: Tolarian Academy, Mox Ruby, Memnite, Wheel of Fortune 3-3

6. FTW: Scrubland, Cenn's Tactician, Blackmail, Ghost Quarter 3-3

7. H: Angrath's Rampage, Dreadhorde Arcanist, Swamp, Mox Ruby 6-0

8. Tylert: Chancellor of the tangle, aether vial, myr superion, deputy of detention 6-0

30 points.

The discard decks all remove my win when going first, but I win when going first.

Three of the decks don't have a way to win turn 1 or stop my turn 1 win when they are on the play.

I am glad to see only one mirror match. It was generous of you to point out that the new set was coming out, apple713. I was worried you were going to alert people to the new Lab Man.

GoblinSmashmaster results for round "ban Lab Man V2":

1. Asthereal (TO): Snow-Covered Island, Mana Crypt, Show and Tell, Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
    Emrakul's clause owns my 4th iteration of "discard your hand". 0-6

We trade games. 3-3

3. apple713: Mox Sapphire, Mox Sapphire, Tolarian Academy, Jace, Wielder of Mysteries
    T1 combo trades games with Memnite! 3-3

4. GoblinSmashmaster: Tolarian Academy, Mox Ruby, Memnite, Wheel of Fortune
    That's me!

T1 combo trades games with Memnite! 3-3

6. FTW: Scrubland, Cenn's Tactician, Blackmail, Ghost Quarter
    Your 1/1 is better than mine. 3-3

7. H: Angrath's Rampage, Dreadhorde Arcanist, Swamp, Mox Ruby
    Your 1/3 outraces my 1/1. 3-3

8. Tylert: Chancellor of the tangle, aether vial, myr superion, deputy of detention
    Memnite goes the distance! 6-0

Total: 21 points

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Asthereal View Post
    7. H: Arcanist can't recast a CMC2 card, right? Making me sac Emry shuffles back S&T and Emry, so two turns later Emry returns and kills you, unless I miss something. 6-0
    Bleh, yeah, I'm dumb.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Quote Originally Posted by Whoshim View Post
    I am glad to see only one mirror match. It was generous of you to point out that the new set was coming out, apple713. I was worried you were going to alert people to the new Lab Man.
    Easily the best CB card from the set.

1. Asthereal (TO): Snow-Covered Island, Mana Crypt, Show and Tell, Emrakul, the Aeons Torn WL
    3. apple713: Mox Sapphire, Mox Sapphire, Tolarian Academy, Jace, Wielder of Mysteries WL
    4. GoblinSmashmaster: Tolarian Academy, Mox Ruby, Memnite, Wheel of Fortune WL
    5. Whoshim: Mox Sapphire, Mox Sapphire, Tolarian Academy, Jace, Wielder of Mysteries WL
    6. FTW: Scrubland, Cenn's Tactician, Blackmail, Ghost Quarter WD
    7. H: Angrath's Rampage, Dreadhorde Arcanist, Swamp, Mox Ruby WW
    8. Tylert: Chancellor of the tangle, aether vial, myr superion, deputy of detention WW

9w1d = 28
    Last edited by Wrath of Pie; 05-09-2019 at 03:45 PM.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    Bleh, yeah, I'm dumb.
    Don't beat yourself up. You still beat Tylert by making him sac his Vial. That Rampage thing is a nice find.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Asthereal View Post
    Don't beat yourself up. You still beat Tylert by making him sac his Vial. That Rampage thing is a nice find.
    I was specifically trying to beat Vial strategies and hurried to try to put something around it.

I'm extra dumb because I literally looked up all 4 mana Planeswalkers as well, but failed to actually read that Jace,

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Wrath of Pie View Post
    Are you sure you beat him OTP? Blackmail can't stop his Aether Vial.

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    Are you sure you beat him OTP? Blackmail can't stop his Aether Vial.

I think he wins anyway. Blackmail can take Detention dude, so it is a race between a suspended Dragon and the Myr. The Dragon will have a third counter added to it because Vial gets cast.

T1 - Suspend Dragon // Cast Vial
    T2 - Remove counter (2) and cast Blackmail, taking Deputy of Detention // Add counter to Vial (1)
    T3 - Remove counter (1) // Add counter (2) play Myr
    T4 - Remove counter, cast, swing with +2 firebreathing (6 damage dealt) // Myr swings for 5

So the dragon gets the first hit in. Due to firebreathing, it takes only 4 swings. Also, there is not enough time for the Chancellor to come down with the Vial.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Whoshim View Post
    So the dragon gets the first hit in. Due to firebreathing, it takes only 4 swings. Also, there is not enough time for the Chancellor to come down with the Vial.
    Right. I didn't work through the math. I assumed WL was because of Blackmail, and thought he should either win both (if the dragon was faster) or lose both (if not, or if Chancellor blocks in time). Guess they're both the same clock, so it's just who attacks first.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

H: (Angrath's Rampage, Dreadhorde Arcanist, Swamp, Mox Ruby)

1. Asthereal (TO): (Snow-Covered Island, Mana Crypt, Show and Tell, Emrakul, the Aeons Torn)
    Yeah, I just loose, I'm dumb and made a bad dead. 0-6

2. Wrath of Pie: (Badlands, Mox Ruby, Pardic Dragon, Blackmail)
    I can't beat Blackmail. 0-6

3. apple713: (Mox Sapphire, Mox Sapphire, Tolarian Academy, Jace, Wielder of Mysteries)
    Nothing for me to do here since Rampage is a Sorcery. 0-6

4. GoblinSmashmaster: (Tolarian Academy, Mox Ruby, Memnite, Wheel of Fortune)
    Can't win with no hand and since I am stupid an thought Arcanist had 2 power. 0-6

5. Whoshim: (Mox Sapphire, Mox Sapphire, Tolarian Academy, Jace, Wielder of Mysteries)
    Same, again. 0-6

6. FTW: (Scrubland, Cenn's Tactician, Blackmail, Ghost Quarter)
    Well, again, since I am stupid an thought Arcanist had 2 power. 0-6

7. H: Bye, myself.

8. Tylert: (Chancellor of the tangle, aether vial, myr superion, deputy of detention)
    This one I can actually win, because he can't wait to cast the Vial. On the play I can run out the Arcanist, which is useless, but if Vial isn't played on his trun 1, he can't play it. So in any case, I can Rampage it. 6-0

Indeed, I am dumb and even though I knew that Arcanist had a power of 1, I still thought it was 2...

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    H: (Angrath's Rampage, Dreadhorde Arcanist, Swamp, Mox Ruby)
    4. GoblinSmashmaster: (Tolarian Academy, Mox Ruby, Memnite, Wheel of Fortune)
    Can't win with no hand and since I am stupid an thought Arcanist had 2 power. 0-6
    OTP you cast your 1/3 dude and race the Memnite. There's 3 more points for you.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Opponent Deck OTP OTD Explanation
    1. Asthereal (TO) Snow-Covered Island, Mana Crypt, Show and Tell, Emrakul, the Aeons Torn W W Emrakul is too slow
    2. Wrath of Pie Badlands, Mox Ruby, Pardic Dragon, Blackmail W L Lose to discard
    3. apple713 Mox Sapphire, Mox Sapphire, Tolarian Academy, Jace, Wielder of Mysteries X X
    4. GoblinSmashmaster Tolarian Academy, Mox Ruby, Memnite, Wheel of Fortune W L Lose to discard
    5. Whoshim Mox Sapphire, Mox Sapphire, Tolarian Academy, Jace, Wielder of Mysteries W L Mirror
    6. FTW Scrubland, Cenn's Tactician, Blackmail, Ghost Quarter W L Lose to discard
    7. H Angrath's Rampage, Dreadhorde Arcanist, Swamp, Mox Ruby W W Once jace hits play he'll win and rampage isnt an instant.
    8. Tylert Chancellor of the tangle, aether vial, myr superion, deputy of detention W W Vial is too slow
    Total Points: 30
    Win: 71.43%

I expected to see 1 mirror match but from Wrath because I thought he that said he was looking forward to playing with some of the new War of the Spark cards. Also, I was kinda surprise that tolarian academy was unbanned so late in the season.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

Quote Originally Posted by apple713 View Post

I expected to see 1 mirror match but from Wrath because I thought he that said he was looking forward to playing with some of the new War of the Spark cards. Also, I was kinda surprise that tolarian academy was unbanned so late in the season.
    Tolarian Academy is at best a conditional sol land, so not that surprising it lasted this long. I think Jace, Wielder of Mysteries was really what unlocked its potential.

(I saw potential in six cards from the set, and that was the most obvious.)

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Preliminary standings for round 4:

Rank, username, score, season points
    1. apple713: 30 - 4,3
    1. Whoshim: 30 - 4,3
    3. Wrath of Pie: 28 - 4
    4. GoblinSmashmaster: 21 - 3
    5. FTW: 19 - 2,7
    6. Asthereal (TO): 18 - 2,6
    7. Tylert: 12 - 1,7
    8. H: 9 - 1,3

Which means the following acrds will be added to the banned list:
    Badlands
    Blackmail
    Jace, Wielder of Mysteries
    Memnite
    Mox Ruby
    Mox Sapphire
    Pardic Dragon
    Tolarian Academy
    Wheel of Fortune

In the season ranking this means apple713 consolidates his leading position, while Wrath moves up to 3rd place and Whoshim to 4th, dropping me to 5th place.

EDIT: Made a few adjustments because of an incorrect result.
    Last edited by Asthereal; 05-09-2019 at 10:13 AM.

Thread Information