Page 57 of 332 FirstFirst ... 74753545556575859606167107157 ... LastLast
Results 1,121 to 1,140 of 6623

Thread: 4 Card Blind

Sep 2011

Re: 4 Card Blind

FTW: Plains, Swamp, Gerrard's Verdict, Spectral Lynx

1. Asthereal (TO): OTP I play Swamp. You play Reef Shaman. I play Gerrard's Verdict and we draw. OTD you lead with Shaman. I play Swamp. You play Ceta and upkeep turn my Swamp into something else. I can't play Verdict so I play Spectral Lynx. You Assault it. Then Ceta kills me. DL 1-4.

2. GoblinSmashmaster: OTP I play Swamp, you play Island Stormscape. I Gerrard's Verdict the rest and play Lynx. You don't have white mana so Lynx kills you. OTD you get Meddling Mage before I can do anything. WL 3-3

3. Wrath of Pie: OTP I play Swamp, you play tapped Tower. I Gerrard's Verdict you, discarding Cavern and Meddling Mage. You play Stormscape. I play Lynx. You can tap down the Lynx forever. OTD you get Meddling Mage before I can do anything. DL 1-4.

4. Unlif3: OTP I Verdict you and you can't cast any creatures. OTD you Meddling Mage me first, naming Spectral Lynx. I Gerrard's Verdict the other Mage out of your hand but the first Mage kills me. WL 3-3.

5. H: OTP I play Swamp, you play a tapped land. I Gerrard's Verdict you out of the game. OTD you get to play something first. If you play Panther, I play Lynx and we draw. If you Addle the Lynx, I Verdict the Panther and we draw. If you Addle the Verdict, I play Lynx and you play Panther and we draw. WD 4-1

7. Whoshim: OTP and OTD I can Verdict you out of the flying hippo and win with Lynx. WW 6-0

8. Tylert: OTP and OTD I Verdict you first, taking Dodecapod (nice answer!) and either Assassin or a land (keeping you off Assassin mana). Then I play Lynx and can block forever to draw. DD 2-2

9. BirdsOfParadise: OTP I play Swamp, you play tapped Ditch. I play Verdict keeping you off both creatures and win. OTD you play Ditch, I play Swamp, and then you get to play something first. You play Meddling Mage naming Spectral Lynx, I Verdict your Bobcat, and the Mage kills me. WL 3-3.

Ouch, I really should have picked something that beats Meddling Mage OTP and OTD instead of just OTP.

23 points (6 wins, 5 draws)

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Whoshim View Post
    7. Whoshim: Irrigation Ditch, Tinder Farm, Meteor Crater, Questing Phelddagrif

8. Tylert: Dodecapod, Tsabo's assassin, Ancient spring, Geothermal crevice 6-0 I get protection from black, and my 4/4 races your 3/3 if you decide to play Dodecapod.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but I think you lose on the draw.

T - tapped land
    W - tapped land

T - tapped land
    W - tapped land

T - Assassin
    W - If you sac only Tinder Farm, then you tap out and he untaps and kills you with Assassin. If you sac both sac lands (leaving Meteor Crater open for protection), then you only have one white source. Next turn he can EOT activate Assassin (making you pay W), then untap and activate again (and you're tapped out).

OTP you get to play your hippo a turn earlier so you can only sac Tinder Farm without being vulnerable to the Assassin, and then afterwards you have 2 white sources to beat the ability.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Asthereal results for round 5 (round "all them Meddling Mages!"):

1. Asthereal (TO): that's me with Reef Assault!! (Shivan Reef, Reef Shaman, Ceta Disciple, Assault)
    2. GoblinSmashmaster: OTP Reef Shaman stops you from making Meddling Mage, Assault will kill Apprentice, Disciple kills you. OTD Mage on Assault, Apprentice stops Disciple, Mage kills me? 3-3
    3. Wrath of Pie: OTP Reef Shaman stops you from making Meddling Mage, Assault will kill Apprentice, Disciple kills you. OTD Mage on Assault, Apprentice stops Disciple, Mage kills me? 3-3
    4. Unlif3: OTP Reef Shaman stops you from making Meddling Mage, Disciple kills you. OTD Mage on Assault, 2nd Mage gets Reef'ed out. Disciple trades with Mage nr. 1 for a draw? 4-1
    5. H: OTP Ditch gets Reef'ed out, I cast my wincon before you can make me discard it. OTD if you want your wincon you have to play it turn 2, but I can't properly interact with it so you win it? 3-3
    6. FTW: OTP Reef Shaman stops Verdict, Lynx gets Assaulted. Wincon wins it. OTD I keep Reef+Assault to kill Lynx but Verdict takes my guys. Or what FTW says. 4-1
    7. Whoshim: Reef Shaman stops a land, any wincon wins it. 6-0
    8. Tylert: Reef Shaman stops a land, any wincon wins it. 6-0
    9. BirdsOfParadise: OTP Reef Shaman stops you from making anything relevant. OTD Reef Shaman stops Bobcat, Mage on Assault, Disciple trades with Mage at some point for a draw. 4-1

Total: 33 points

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    I really should have picked something that beats Meddling Mage OTP and OTD instead of just OTP.
    I tried, but couldn't really find anything that was any good against anything else. So yeah, Reef Shaman I went. Surprised no one else found that little gem.
    Last edited by Asthereal; 08-15-2019 at 04:27 AM.
    Join the 4 Card Blind competition!

T - tapped land
    W - tapped land

T - tapped land
    W - tapped land

T - Assassin
    W - If you sac only Tinder Farm, then you tap out and he untaps and kills you with Assassin. If you sac both sac lands (leaving Meteor Crater open for protection), then you only have one white source. Next turn he can EOT activate Assassin (making you pay W), then untap and activate again (and you're tapped out).

OTP you get to play your hippo a turn earlier so you can only sac Tinder Farm without being vulnerable to the Assassin, and then afterwards you have 2 white sources to beat the ability.
    I have to sac both lands to play (since Crater doesn't give me mana otherwise). Edit: So I think that I lose both. Thanks for checking that. 0 points. A complete shutout.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

T - tapped land
    W - tapped land

T - tapped land
    W - tapped land

T - Assassin

Actually, Crater doesn't make mana unless you have a colored permanent.
    So Whoshim needs to sac both lands anyway, and the trick you use on the draw will now also work on the play.
    I fear with great fear that Whoshim loses both games here.

PS. That last line has no business rhyming as well as it does.

EDIT: Never mind my previous edit. Whoshim already changed his post.
    Also, I'm sorry, Whoshim, that your Phelddagrif did as badly as it did. It was a fun deck.

I expected to lose most. I was hoping to get at least one win though. I had looked at Meddling Mage last week, before I got sick, but I forgot everything. I almost didn't submit a deck this week, but I figured I would just to participate.

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Sorry whoshim. i think i'll crush your dreams of having 6 points...

1. Asthereal (TO): Shivan Reef, Reef Shaman, Ceta Disciple, Assault
    2. GoblinSmashmaster: Island, Stormscape Apprentice, Dromar's Cavern, Meddling Mage
    3. Wrath of Pie: Coastal Tower, Dromar's Cavern, Stormscape Apprentice, Meddling Mage
    4. Unlif3: Plains, Island, Meddling Mage, Meddling Mage
    5. H: Irrigation Ditch, Caves of Koilos, Addle, Noble Panther
    6. FTW: Plains, Swamp, Gerrard's Verdict, Spectral Lynx
    8. Tylert: Dodecapod, Tsabo's assassin, Ancient spring, Geothermal crevice
    9. BirdsOfParadise: Irrigation Ditch, Island, Meddling Mage, Penumbra Bobcat

1. Asthereal: Reef shaman can "port" one land at each upkeep. 0-6 --> 0
    2. Goblinsmashmaster: Both OTP and OTD, you can cast meddling mage naming tsabo's assassin and kill me with it tapping dodecapod. 0-6 --> 0
    3. Wrath of Pie: 0-6 because of meddling mage :) 0-6 --> 0
    4. Unlif3: OTD, both meddling mages stop my 2 threats. On the play, i can land dodecapode for the draw. 1-4 --> 1
    5. H:
    OTP: T1 = Land tapped. You irrigation ditch
    T2 = Land tapped. You Addle naming black because if assassin lands, i loose.
    T3 = cast dodecapode, you cast panther
    T4 = I attack, if you block, stand off if you don't you will stay in defence because you'll loose the race.
    OTD, panther goes down first and you win. 1-4 --> 2

6. FTW: If you verdict, i have a 4/4 that you can block forever. if you don't the assassin will kill the lynx (once eot, and then at my upkeep). So you verdict and it's a draw 2-2 --> 4
    7. Whoshim: I can try to kill phedalgriff at end of turn and at my upkeep. so you can't give protection from black to it twice. I think i win both. 6-0 --> 10
    8. me.
    9. BirdsOfParadise: Meddling mage names tsabo's assassin each game and we draw because you can't attack through dodecapod. 2-2 --> 12

Total 12. Did not see meddling mage that wrecks me. I expected more gerrard's verdict :( All the destroy target creature were too expensive to be played so i thought i'd see more discard :(
    Last edited by Tylert; 08-14-2019 at 09:43 AM.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

H: Irrigation Ditch, Caves of Koilos, Addle, Noble Panther

I lose on the Draw, but on the Play I can make a Panther and First Strike is good. 3-3

2. GoblinSmashmaster: Island, Stormscape Apprentice, Dromar's Cavern, Meddling Mage
    I lose on the Draw, but on the Play I can Addle the Mage and then it's a draw. 1-4

3. Wrath of Pie: Coastal Tower, Dromar's Cavern, Stormscape Apprentice, Meddling Mage
    I think this ends up the same as the above match, even with the tapped land. 1-4

Same again, I think, I draw on the Play, lose on the Draw. 1-4

5. H: Bye, myself.

I'm seeing a pattern here. 1-4

This one I win both, since I can always Addle the 'Grif. 6-0

I can always Addle the Assassin and Panther is better than the 'Pod (on the Play). On the Draw it would be a Draw, since I am one turn slow on the race. 4-1

On the Play I can Addle the Mage and Pather can beat the Bobcat. I lose one the Draw. 3-3

20, I think? Meddling Mage sure was more of a pain than I anticipated...
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

GoblinSmashmaster results for round "Chris Pikula"

Mage names Assault. 3-3

That's me!

That's not me! Mage names Apprentice. 3-3

Mage names Mage. 4-1

Mage names Panther. 4-1

Mage names Lynx. 3-3

Mage fails to name it because I can't spell it. 0-6
    (jk 6-0)

Mage names Assassin. 6-0

Mage names Bobcat 3-3

32 points

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Tylert View Post
    4. Unlif3: 0-6 because of adle + meddling mage. 0-6 --> 0
    He doesn't have Addle, just 2 Mages. When you're OTP he can only get one Mage down before you untap both lands. He names Assassin. You cast Dodecapod. Then he can't attack into you so you draw. When you're OTD then he can get both Mages down first and you lose. 1-4

I expected more gerrard's verdict :( All the destroy target creature were too expensive to be played so i thought i'd see more discard :(
    Terminate and Assault are both cheap. I expected to see more removal and sac land decks (especially into Flametongue Kavu!), and I figured Gerrard's Verdict beats slow decks and tricks in hand. Meddling Mage is too good.

I shortlisted Reef Shaman but only considered pairing it with Meddling Mage, and I wanted something more creative than Meddling Mage that could still beat it OTP. I completely missed the option of 2 1 drops and removal.

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

He doesn't have Addle, just 2 Mages. When you're OTP he can only get one Mage down before you untap both lands. He names Assassin. You cast Dodecapod. Then he can't attack into you so you draw. When you're OTD then he can get both Mages down first and you lose. 1-4
    yeah. right. confusion with the list just below him.
    SO 1-4.

Terminate and Assault are both cheap. I expected to see more removal and sac land decks (especially into Flametongue Kavu!), and I figured Gerrard's Verdict beats slow decks and tricks in hand. Meddling Mage is too good.

I shortlisted Reef Shaman but only considered pairing it with Meddling Mage, and I wanted something more creative than Meddling Mage that could still beat it OTP. I completely missed the option of 2 1 drops and removal.
    How did i miss terminate :)

1. Asthereal (TO): Shivan Reef, Reef Shaman, Ceta Disciple, Assault WL
    2. GoblinSmashmaster: Island, Stormscape Apprentice, Dromar's Cavern, Meddling Mage WL
    4. Unlif3: Plains, Island, Meddling Mage, Meddling Mage WL
    5. H: Irrigation Ditch, Caves of Koilos, Addle, Noble Panther WD
    6. FTW: Plains, Swamp, Gerrard's Verdict, Spectral Lynx WD
    7. Whoshim: Irrigation Ditch, Tinder Farm, Meteor Crater, Questing Phelddagrif WW
    8. Tylert: Dodecapod, Tsabo's assassin, Ancient spring, Geothermal crevice WW
    9. BirdsOfParadise: Irrigation Ditch, Island, Meddling Mage, Penumbra Bobcat WL

10w2d = 32 points

No comment here, can't get any in with all these meddling mages around.
    Last edited by Wrath of Pie; 08-15-2019 at 09:55 AM.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Quote Originally Posted by Wrath of Pie View Post
    What's your plan to draw this one on the draw?

I think he can cast Mage on Mage, and then proceed to cast his second Mage also on Mage.
    He then has 4 power against your one Stormscape Apprentice. Should be enough, unless I'm missing something.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Asthereal View Post
    I think he can cast Mage on Mage, and then proceed to cast his second Mage
    "The named card can't be played."

Unlilf3's deck unfortunately matches up poorly in the mirror.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

"The named card can't be played."

Unlilf3's deck unfortunately matches up poorly in the mirror.
    Oh LOL, can't be played at all. Whoops. Yeah, that's a thing.

So we go:
    U: Island, go
    W: Tower (tapped)
    U: Plains, cast Mage, name Apprentice
    W: tap Tower, play Cavern (bounce Tower), cast Mage, name Mage
    U: Attack.
    -if W lets it through, he loses the race
    -if W blocks it and trades, U casts new Mage and names Apprentice again
    U wins again, right?

This Tower entering the battlefield tapped is kind of an issue, I fear.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Asthereal View Post
    Oh LOL, can't be played at all. Whoops. Yeah, that's a thing.

So we go:
    U: Island, go
    W: Tower (tapped)
    U: Plains, cast Mage, name Apprentice
    W: tap Tower, play Cavern (bounce Tower), cast Mage, name Mage
    -if W lets it through, he loses the race
    -if W blocks it and trades, U casts new Mage and names Apprentice again
    U wins again, right?

This Tower entering the battlefield tapped is kind of an issue, I fear.
    Right. Even if W waits to trade until Tower is on the battlefield and untapped, U gets to cast the 2nd Mage before W gets a chance to play anything, so Apprentice never hits the table.

With an untapped land, he would have Apprentice in play already and be able to draw (U has to name Mage instead). So GoblinSmashmaster would get a draw OTD but Wrath loses.

Tower ends up being better against my deck though, because he can cast and activate Apprentice with only 1 land to beat Gerrard's Verdict.

Hello, a bit late for my results this round (holidays rock ), so w/o further ado let's give it a go.

Confirmed 1-4.
    Confirmed 1-4.
    OTP Island, go ; Coastal, go / Plains, Mage names Apprentice ; Lair bounce Tower / 2nd Mage names Mage > W
    OTD Coastal go ; Island, go / Lair, cast Mage naming Mage and I'm wrecked > L
    Confirmed 3-3.
    That's me !
    Confirmed 4-1.
    Confirmed 3-3.
    Confirmed 6-0.
    Confirmed 4-1.
    OTP Island-go ; Ditch-go / cast Mage naming Bobcat, you cast Mage naming Mage and we draw from there, because I'm the first to attack, so if you elect to block I'll just cast my second mage naming Bobcat again.
    OTD you cast Mage first, gg.
    3-3

Total points : 25.
    Last edited by Unlif3; 08-16-2019 at 05:33 AM.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Quote Originally Posted by Unlif3 View Post
    OTP Island-go ; Ditch-go / cast Mage naming Bobcat, you cast Mage naming Mage and we draw from there, because I'm the first to attack, so if you elect to block I'll just cast my second mage naming Bobcat again.
    Actually, OTP you beat Birds the same way you beat Wrath.

U: Island
    B: Ditch
    U: Plains, cast Mage on Bobcat
    B: Island, cast Mage on Mage
    -> If B blocks and trades, you get to cast the 2nd Mage on Bobcat and you win.
    -> If B let's it through, you just win the race as you attack first.

So this will be 3-3 I think.

PS. You have noted your game against Gobbo the wrong way around.

You're absolutely right, I edited my previous post.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Preliminary standings for round Meddling Mage:

1. Asthereal (TO): 33 - 4,1
    2. GoblinSmashmaster: 32 - 4,0
    2. Wrath of Pie: 32 - 4,0
    4. Unlif3: 25 - 3,1
    5. BirdsOfParadise: 24 - 3,0
    6. FTW: 23 - 2,9
    7. H: 20 - 2,5
    8. Tylert: 12 - 1,5
    9. Whoshim: 0 - 0,0

Which means I take over the top spot in the season ranking, but only by the smallest of margins: 0,2 season points.

Thread Information