Page 60 of 332 FirstFirst ... 105056575859606162636470110160 ... LastLast
Results 1,181 to 1,200 of 6623

Thread: 4 Card Blind

Re: 4 Card Blind

Quote Originally Posted by Asthereal View Post
    I'm thinking we could do 12 rounds of Modern, and I would suggest we ban the winning deck every week, so it's still interesting after a few weeks.
    I guess we'll also have to look at the initial banned list. We can probably just start with all cards that are currently on the Legacy banned list.
    I checked and basically this boils down to banning Misstep and DRS from the start, because the 5 other cards (DTT, TC, Top, Clamp, Probe) do not seem of any use in 4CB.
    It is indeed possible that DRS turns out to be a decent card albeit probably not backbreaking. Misstep, on the other hand, looks like a card that could completely overwhelm the first round, becoming a matter of "play it or build to dodge it".

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

@asthereal: When you're saying "legacy banlist" do you mean our legacy 4CB legacy banlist (from season 1) or regular legacy banlist from WOTC?

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Quote Originally Posted by Unlif3 View Post
    I checked and basically this boils down to banning Misstep and DRS from the start, because the 5 other cards (DTT, TC, Top, Clamp, Probe) do not seem of any use in 4CB.
    It is indeed possible that DRS turns out to be a decent card albeit probably not backbreaking. Misstep, on the other hand, looks like a card that could completely overwhelm the first round, becoming a matter of "play it or build to dodge it".
    With the current Legacy banned list I meant our own banned list in the second post of this forum topic.
    There's stuff like Thoughtseize, Ghost Quarter and Burning Inquiry that completely dominate the format.
    Join the 4 Card Blind competition!

Sep 2011

Deathrite Shaman has finite fuel. Fetchlands are useless in this format and Field of Ruin is bad without Sol Lands. The top land that would end up in your graveyard is Ghost Quarter (which does need banning). Without those, DRS cannot generate mana and is essentially just graveyard hate. It seems fine.

Probe could be strong if there's a deck that can accelerate out Laboratory Maniac, but the mana accel in Modern is limited.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

So options on the table for season 4 are:
    1. Modern (with a dedicated banned list, probably containing most of the banned cards in our season 1 Legacy banned list)
    2. The Block Tour - part 2 (I'd have to figure some stuff out if we want a 12 round season, but I'm sure I can make that work)
    3. ... (I'm open to suggestions. Fire away!)

EDIT: I already have an idea for option 2. When the blocks go back to two sets, I can either add M15, M16 and so on, or I can do what I did for the finale of this season, which is combine two blocks per round.

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    Deathrite Shaman has finite fuel. Fetchlands are useless in this format and Field of Ruin is bad without Sol Lands. The top land that would end up in your graveyard is Ghost Quarter (which does need banning). Without those, DRS cannot generate mana and is essentially just graveyard hate. It seems fine.

Probe could be strong if there's a deck that can accelerate out Laboratory Maniac, but the mana accel in Modern is limited.
    There is still potential for turn 1 Lab Maniac. Whether or not that's good enough is another question, but the potential is there.

Deathrite Shaman is not good enough as a 1-drop by itself, I'm not worried about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrath of Pie View Post
    There is still potential for turn 1 Lab Maniac. Whether or not that's good enough is another question, but the potential is there.
    From my understanding, the point there is just about banning hyper-oppressive cards (like GQ) that will make rounds revolve around them before they do win rounds and get out of the picture.
    Island, SSG, SSG, LabMan or something along those lines loses to literally any piece of discard or removal, I wouldn't be too worried.

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

So we've done so far: Vintage banathon, Legacy, block part 1 and we envisage end of block tour and modern with small bans each round.

I'm trying to figure which formats could be interresting:

- Pauper? plausible (With a banning of the top deck(s) of course)
    - EDH? access to a legendary creature that could come back... and singleton only... not really
    - Oldschool. That would probably be as much degenerate as vintage i suppose but why not.
    - 4CB rotisserie draft (in whatever format we'd like to do it)? That thing could be interresting but it would require a lot of time to do the draft :) But i can imagine for example choosing a block, having all cards available, we determine the draft order and the last drafter can draft twice in a row before going reverse order. if we have 10 players for example: 1 to 10, then 10 to 1, and repeat that once to have 4 cards. include as much basic lands as you wish, send your list to the organiser and do the matches. Long process...
    - ??? anything else???

Quote Originally Posted by Tylert View Post
    So we've done so far: Vintage banathon, Legacy, block part 1 and we envisage end of block tour and modern with small bans each round.

I'm trying to figure which formats could be interresting:

- Pauper? plausible (With a banning of the top deck(s) of course)
    - EDH? access to a legendary creature that could come back... and singleton only... not really
    - Oldschool. That would probably be as much degenerate as vintage i suppose but why not.
    - 4CB rotisserie draft (in whatever format we'd like to do it)? That thing could be interresting but it would require a lot of time to do the draft :) But i can imagine for example choosing a block, having all cards available, we determine the draft order and the last drafter can draft twice in a row before going reverse order. if we have 10 players for example: 1 to 10, then 10 to 1, and repeat that once to have 4 cards. include as much basic lands as you wish, send your list to the organiser and do the matches. Long process...
    - ??? anything else???
    Pauper has potential to be interesting (although the Fallen Empire saclands were never printed at common)

Commander CB has a bigger issue in that it is secretly base CB with upside (i.e. you play a vanilla CB hand and you pick the commander that gives you access to the color identities you want). The singleton restriction means little because most CB hands are singleton anyways. There is potential for those who want to cast their commander, but the format has to be really fair for that to even work.

Old School is likely to be on par with Block CB, actually. Although there is Strip Mine...

Rotisserie draft would probably require a curated pool, and you want excess cards in the pool for more options and you might want more than 4 rounds in the draft as well. The time issue is a real concern though, probably would require a Discord group to be feasible.

Sep 2011

Pauper: The Masques depletion lands, the Invasion saclands, and the Ravnica Karoos are common though. That opens up a lot of potential beyond 1 drops.

Old School: It won't be anywhere near as degenerate as Vintage when you just have double Black Lotus into Mahamoti Djinn instead of Laboratory Maniac with Force of Will backup. Or Mishra's Workshop + Mana Vault into Obsianus Golem. It has the broken mana acceleration but not the broken win conditions, which is why those cards weren't as degenerate back in the day.

The only deck that really needs banning is Black Lotus, Taiga, Channel, Fireball, and that still loses OTD to Lightning Bolt anyway.

Strip Mine won't need banning right away due to artifact mana and turn 1 threats. It actually seems like a fair card.

Could always do Random Standard.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Many options. Thanks for thinking along. I'll look at our options and select a few for you to vote on.
    But first we have a season to continue.

Preliminary scores for round 7

Rank. Player: score - season points:
    1. Wrath of Pie: 26 - 4,3
    2. Asthereal (TO): 24 - 4
    3. FTW: 22 - 3,7
    4. Tylert: 14 - 2,3
    5. Unlif3: 11 - 1,8
    6. GoblinSmashmaster: 9 - 1,5
    7. H: 8 - 1,3

Which changes a grand total of nothing to the ranking for the season, though Wrath does continue to come closer to the top-3.

Round 8 of 4CB Season 3, The Block Tour, has started. This round: Mirrodin block (Mirrodin, Darksteel, Fifth Dawn)!

I have PM'ed myself my deck for round 8, so you can start sending me your decks.

DEADLINE: Wednesday the 4th of September, at 8:00AM Central European Time.
    (That's my time. Pacific Time it'll probably be something like Tuesday night 10:00PM-ish, so keep that in mind.)

PLEASE NOTE:
    - The way you send your deck to me matters. Please send it in the way described below, so it doesn't cost me an hour of editing before I can post all the decks.
    Please send your deck as follows: Ancient Den, Plains, Leonin Skyhunter, Banshee's Blade (so with card tags around each card, and not above eachother), with your Username and 4CB S03R08 in the topic. Many of you already did this for previous rounds. Thanks a lot, this really saves me the time and hassle of copying and pasting text and tags!

After the deadline has passed, I will post all decks on the forum here, and you can start puzzling out your scores.
    If you have any questions, please read the first two posts of this thread first. If you can't find the answer there, drop a message here. We'll answer a.s.a.p.

Happy deck designing everybody!

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

About two days until the deadline, and we're at just 3 entries.
    We need more, if only because so far, I'm getting creamed this round...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

I'm still working on my deck.
    Lots of possibilities. I like this one so far.

About two days until the deadline, and we're at just 3 entries.
    We need more, if only because so far, I'm getting creamed this round...
    I guess your expectations aren't being shattered?

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Damn. i have at least 14 decks after a first pass through the cards (And i'm probably missing some midrange decks like Good creature + removal or discard).
    None of them seems dominant and i have a counter for each of these. it's going to be hard to choose between all of these :)

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Tylert View Post
    Damn. i have at least 14 decks after a first pass through the cards (And i'm probably missing some midrange decks like Good creature + removal or discard).
    None of them seems dominant and i have a counter for each of these. it's going to be hard to choose between all of these :)
    Yeah, I just got tired of all the permutations I was trying to do in my head and just picked one random one that I am sure is likely the worst possible one. Gotta keep my lock on last place!
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    Yeah, I just got tired of all the permutations I was trying to do in my head and just picked one random one that I am sure is likely the worst possible one. Gotta keep my lock on last place!
    Four Mountains should do the trick.

Anyway, 5 entries now. Tough round by the looks of it, but there's still time.

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    To be honest, I prefer rounds like these. Yes it is challenging to find the best deck or the best meta deck, but it's the challenge that makes it interresting :)
    There were a few rounds were everyone was playing the same deck or a variation because it was too easily solved. I guess that will not be the case here... (Or perhaps i'm not good at evaluation block formats for 4CB :) )

Four Mountains should do the trick.
    Now that is tech against Jinxed Choker.

Thread Information