Page 78 of 332 FirstFirst ... 286874757677787980818288128178 ... LastLast
Results 1,541 to 1,560 of 6623

Thread: 4 Card Blind

Sep 2011

Re: 4 Card Blind

3. FTW: Swamp, Despise, Ruthless Ripper, Shambling Goblin

I really should have played 2 Despise instead of 2 creatures! Clean sweep...

1. Asthereal (TO): Despise your Ainok. Then I have more 1/1s than you. WW 6-0
    2. Wrath of Pie: See below. LL 0-6
    4. square_two: Despise one Deathdealer, but from there I can't race you or threaten to kill you. LL 0-6
    5. H: You're less threatening than Wrath, but I still can't race you. LL 0-6
    6. Tylert: See below. I can Despise one but then the other can grow and race me. LL 0-6
    7. Unlif3: See below. I Despise you but you can get it back and race me. LL 0-6
    8. GoblinSmashmaster: Same as Wrath. LL 0-6

6 points (2 wins)

Vs Wrath OTP
    Me - Ripper
    You - Backwater (W=21)

Me - Goblin. Attack (W=20)
    You - Crucible. 1 counter

Me - Despise Dragonlord. Attack (W=18)
    You - 2 counters

Me - Attack (W=16)
    You - 3 counters

Me - Attack (W=14)
    You - 4 counters

Me - Attack (W=12)
    You - Remove 4 counters: Icefall Regent, tapping Ruthless Ripper

Me - Do nothing
    You - Attack with Regent (F=16).

I need 12 more attacks and you need 4 more attacks.
    OTD is worse. I lose both.

Vs Tyler OTP
    Me - Ripper
    You - Plains

Me - Goblin. Attack (T=19)
    You - Plains. Ainok

Me - Despise other Ainok. Attack. If you block, you lose. (T=17)
    You - Outlast +1. 3/2 First strike.

Me - Attack (T=15)
    You - Outlast. 4/3 First strike.

Me - Attack (T=13)
    You - Attack me (F=16).

You can win in 5 attacks while I need 7, so you win the race.

Vs Unlif3 OTP
    Me - Ripper
    You - Backwater (U=21)

Me - Goblin. Attack (U=20)
    You - Crucible. 1 counter

Me - Despise Dragon. Attack (U=18)
    You - Haven. Sacrifice to return Dragon.

Me - Attack (U=16)
    You - 2 counters

Me - Attack (U=14)
    You - 3 counters

Me - Attack (U=12)
    You - 4 counters

Me - Attack (U=10)
    You - Remove 4 counters: Necromaster Dragon.

Me - Attack with 1 deathtouch. (U=9)
    You - Attack with Dragon (F=16). Pay 2: create 2/2 zombie. I lose.

2. Wrath of Pie: Dismal Backwater, Crucible of the Spirit Dragon, Icefall Regent, Dragonlord Silumgar

1. Asthereal (TO): Swamp, Plains, Ruthless Ripper, Ainok Bond-Kin WW
    3. FTW: Swamp, Despise, Ruthless Ripper, Shambling Goblin WW
    4. square_two: Jungle Hollow, Forest, Rakshasa Deathdealer, Rakshasa Deathdealer WL - Turns out the gainland saves the day on the play. On the draw I am a turn too slow to cast Silumgar, and Icefall Regent fails to win by itself.
    5. H: Haven of the Spirit Dragon, Crucible of the Spirit Dragon, Necromaster Dragon, Dragonlord Silumgar DD - First to play a creature loses.
    6. Tylert: Plains, Plains, Ainok Bond-Kin, Ainok Bond-Kin WW
    7. Unlif3: Dismal Backwater, Haven of the Spirit Dragon, Crucible of the Spirit Dragon, Necromaster Dragon WW
    8. GoblinSmashmaster: Dismal Backwater, Crucible of the Spirit Dragon, Icefall Regent, Dragonlord Silumgar DD - First to play a creature loses.

9w4d = 31 points

Was worried about double Despise and double Chief of the Edge, but the latter loses to deathtouch creatures and Ainok Bond-Kin and double Despise carries some risk.
    Last edited by Wrath of Pie; 11-28-2019 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Dragonlord Silumgar costs 6 mana

Quote Originally Posted by Wrath of Pie View Post
    What he said.

Total points: 34

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Man. I missed so much good cards...
    Rashaska deathdealer... how come i did not see that... it seems good.
    And i really thought that crucible of the spirit dragon could only do colorless mana... and thought so that dragons could not win anything :)

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

H: Haven of the Spirit Dragon, Crucible of the Spirit Dragon, Necromaster Dragon, Dragonlord Silumgar

1. Asthereal (TO): Swamp, Plains, Ruthless Ripper, Ainok Bond-Kin
    So, I think I can win this. If you only cast Ripper, so Silumgar can't steal the Ainok, I'd just steal Ripper, then Bond-Kin could just get blocked by Ripper. I don't see a way to have both race either, before I can cast Silumgar. 6-0

2. Wrath of Pie: Dismal Backwater, Crucible of the Spirit Dragon, Icefall Regent, Dragonlord Silumgar
    You know, one, I completely missed how Icefall is better than Necromaster. Second, I did not think about the mirror at all. I'm pretty sure whoever casts a Dragon first just loses though, so I don't see how this ends up as anything but a set of draws. 2-2

As FTW covered, even my suboptimal build can win these. 6-0

4. square_two: Jungle Hollow, Forest, Rakshasa Deathdealer, Rakshasa Deathdealer
    This one is trickier, since Deathdealer can both trade with Necromaster or regenerate if I block one. Which would seem to mean it's better if I just cast Silumgar, I think. Lets see:

H: Haven, pass.
    S2: Hollow, gain 1, pass. [S2=21]

H: Crucible, add one counter, pass.
    S2: Deathdealer, go.

H: Add counter to Crucible, 2 now, pass.
    S2: Not sure, but lets see about playing the second here, attack [H=18], pass.

H: Add counter to Crucible, 3 now, pass.
    S2: Attack, pump, [H=12] pass.

H: Add counter to Crucible, 4 now, pass.
    S2: Attack, pump, [H=6], pass.

H: I actually can't wait on Silumgar since I die on the next attack. Cast Necromaster.
    S2: Actually, either line is fine, either pump to kill the Necromaster on block, or just regen the one blocked. because in either case, I'd be at 4, which means even making a Zombie token on my next turn isn't enough, since the other can be pumped.

So here is where Icefall would have been much better. 0-6

5. H: Bye, myself.

6. Tylert: Plains, Plains, Ainok Bond-Kin, Ainok Bond-Kin
    I don't know that my intuition would be right here, but this seems slow. Lets see.

H: Crucible, pass.
    TT: Plaing, pass.

H: Haven, counter on Crucible, pass.
    TT: Plains, Ainok, pass.

H: Counter on Crucible, 2 now, pass.
    TT: Now sure what line is better though. Lets suppose playing a second, because only one likely runs more risk of getting Silumgared. Attack for 1, [H=19], pass.

H: Counter on Crucible, 3 now, pass.
    TT: Pump one Ainok, attack with the other, [H=18], a 2/2 and a 1/1.

H: Counter on Crucible, 4 now, pass.
    TT: Pump the other Ainok (again, putting all the eggs in one basket will likely be bad in the face of Silumgar), attack for 2 with the other. [H=16], two 2/2's now.

H: Lets see what happens if I hold out for Silumgar. Counter on Crucible, 5 now, pass.
    TT: Since Silumgar is inevitable now, probably best to get in with both, so [H=14], pass.

H: Cast Silumgar, take a 2/2.
    TT: Can't attack, pump to a 3/3.

H: I can actually race from here, since I have 5 power, and TT can't pump and block, or attack and pump.

I don't think TT being on the play will help that much, so I think I win both. 6-0

7. Unlif3: Dismal Backwater, Haven of the Spirit Dragon, Crucible of the Spirit Dragon, Necromaster Dragon
    I think I can win this, since I can Silumgar the Necromaster, or play my own and chump. 6-0

8. GoblinSmashmaster: Dismal Backwater, Crucible of the Spirit Dragon, Icefall Regent, Dragonlord Silumgar
    I think this is a set of draws. 2-2

28, unless I made some errors?
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

4. square_two: Jungle Hollow, Forest, Rakshasa Deathdealer, Rakshasa Deathdealer

DD

OTP you get to a 4/3 first strike and me with a Deathdealer, and you at low life so we draw out.
    OTD it's similar, you have 1/1 deathtouch and 4/3 first strike blocker, and we draw. You can't attack with 1/1 and win against me attacking both and regenerating the blocked one.

WL
    OTD your extra point of life allows you to get Silumgar out, stall, and then Icefall after that.

WW single Deathdealer trumps both

5. H: Haven of the Spirit Dragon, Crucible of the Spirit Dragon, Necromaster Dragon, Dragonlord Silumgar
    WW

OTP I get you to 18 then 12, 6 and dead before you can cast either.
    OTD you manage to get out Necro to defend once before my 2nd deathdealer closes in

DD

OTP you play an Ainok and then pump it to 4/3 before playing your other. This gets you down to 6 life before you have 4/3 and a 2/1 and can stall out.
    OTD similar.

7. Unlif3: Dismal Backwater, Haven of the Spirit Dragon, Crucible of the Spirit Dragon, Necromaster Dragon
    WW

OTP you get necro out but have to block, 1 zombie a turn isn't enough
    OTD I win the race of 2 damage a turn, regen the deathdealer blocked by zombie.

8. GoblinSmashmaster: Dismal Backwater, Crucible of the Spirit Dragon, Icefall Regent, Dragonlord Silumgar
    WL
    OTD your extra point of life allows you to get Silumgar out, stall, and then Icefall after that.

28 points
    Last edited by square_two; 11-28-2019 at 07:41 PM.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Tylert View Post
    Man. I missed so much good cards...
    And i really thought that crucible of the spirit dragon could only do colorless mana... and thought so that dragons could not win anything :)
    I wrote off Crucible thinking I could beat ramp decks with Despise. Not if they just play 2 Dragons...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    I wrote off Crucible thinking I could beat ramp decks with Despise. Not if they just play 2 Dragons...
    Yes. I played double bon-kin exactly to beat any despise deck (except the ones playing another removal) :)

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Asthereal's results for round "oh crap, I overlooked a storage land":

That's me.
    Flyboys evade the 1/1 deathtouch, tick up dude gets stolen by the Dragonlord. It's a massacre. 0-6
    Despise takes my tick up dude. Two 1/1s beat my one. 0-6
    Yay, I don't lose this! Don't win it either, but okay. 2-2
    5. H: Haven of the Spirit Dragon, Crucible of the Spirit Dragon, Necromaster Dragon, Dragonlord Silumgar
    Flyboys evade the 1/1 deathtouch, tick up dude gets stolen by the Dragonlord. It's a massacre. 0-6
    One pair of Ainoks trade, but the first strike of the second beats my deathtouch dude. 0-6
    This necro dragon guy also looks quite dangerous. I don't feel like calculating this, but it's probably faster than my team. 0-6

So that's what? 2 points? Ouch.
    Join the 4 Card Blind competition!

Fixed one of my results, I was apparently calcuating as though Dragon Silumgar cost 5 mana instead of 6.

Sep 2011

Fixed one of my results, I was apparently calcuating as though Dragon Silumgar cost 5 mana instead of 6.
    Hmm odd because Square_two got the same result as you. I just did the math and confirmed. OTD you're at 1 life with 4 charge counters so you have to play Icefall Regent to avoid dying, then block and trade with the remaining one, then the other is unfrozen and kills you.

TylerT vs Unlif3

T - Plains
    U - Backwater (U=21)

T - Plains. Ainok #1
    U - Crucible. 1 counter

T - Ainok #2. Attack (U=19)
    U - Haven. 2 counters

T - Outlast one, attack with other (U=17)
    U - 3 counters

T - Outlast the same one (4/3), attack with other (U=15)
    U - Remove 3 counters: Cast Dragon.

T - Outlast the small one and attack with 4/3 first strike. U can't block. (U=11)
    U - Staying on defense leads to a loss, so U attacks with Dragon and makes a 2/2 zombie. (T=16)

T - Attack with 4/3 and 3/2 first strike.

If U chumps the 4/3 each turn, he loses the race
    (U=8, T=12, U=5, T=8, U=2, T=4, U=dead)

If U doesn't block (U=4)
    U - At 4 life he must block the 4/3 next turn, he can't double block to kill the 3/2 or force it to Outlast. Attack with Dragon + 1 zombie and create zombie. (T=10)
    T - Attack with 4/3 and 3/2. Zombie chumps the 4/3. (U=1)
    U - Attack with Dragon and create a zombie (T=6).
    T - Attack with 4/3 and 3/2. Both zombies chump.
    U - Attack with Dragon and create a zombie (T=2)
    T - Attack with 4/3 and 3/2. 4/3 gets chumped (U=dead)

Under both lines Unlif3 is just 1 turn too slow, so Unlif3 should be able to win going first. I'd guess WL 3-3, but neither of them have posted.

Good catch! I updated my results. Must have thought that it was silumgar and 3 lands which would make him castable when the storage land charged to 4.

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

1. Asthereal: Ok with your analysis. 6-0 --> 6
    2. Wrath of pie: This is close. But Casting silumgar first is enough to buy the one turn i need to kill you OTP. 0-6 --> 6
    3. FTW: This is exactly the kind of match up i built my deck for. You despise one bond-kin, the other one outlasts once and races your team. 6-0 --> 6
    4. square_two:
    T1 = Plains. Jungle Hollow (Y21).
    T2 = plains, Bond-Kin. Forest. Rakshasa.
    T3 = Outlast (3/2). Rakshasa (M19).
    T4 = Outlast (4/3). (M15).
    T5 = Bond-Kin. (M13).
    T6 = Outlast (3/2). (M11).
    T7 = Outlast (4/3). (M9).
    T8 = From here. i can defend with one, take 2 per turn and attack with the other, but you're ahead. so i defend and it's a draw. Same scenario OTD.
    2-2 --> 14
    5. H: If you cast silumgar first, i can't kill you before necromaster comes into play. 0-6 --> 14
    6. Me.
    7. Unlif3: OTP: T1 = Plains. Dismal (Y21).
    T2 = Plains, bond-kin. Crucible (C1).
    T3 = Bond-Kin (Y19). Haven (C2).
    T4 = (Y15). (C3).
    T5 = (Y11). (C4).
    T6 = (Y7). necromaster.
    T7 = Outlast (3/2). Attack --> Zombie 2/2 (M16).
    T8 = Outlast (3/2), attack, You chump. attack --> Zombie 2/2 (M12).
    T9 = (Y4). Attack --> Zombie 2/2 (M8).
    T10 = (Y1). Attack --> Zombie 2/2 (M4).
    T11 = Attack you dead.
    If you don't attack at any point. i Can outlast so you can't block and it's the same result.
    OTP = You'll be one turn faster so you win. 3-3 --> 17
    8. GoblinSmashmaster: Same result as vs Wrath of Pie. 0-6 --> 17

Total = 17.
    I need to learn to read cards as usual. I thought crucible was colorless mana and restrained myself to monocolored dragons. Of course, these are crappy compared to Silumgar. Overall, i'm happy with the results but I should have found rakshasa deathdealer!!

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Scores for round 8

Rank. Player: Score - SP
    1. Wrath of Pie: 31 - 4,4
    1. GoblinSmashmaster: 31 - 4,4
    3. square_two: 28 - 4
    3. H: 28 - 4
    5. Tylert: 17 - 2,4
    6. Unlif3: 15 - 2,1
    7. FTW: 6 - 0,9
    8. Asthereal (TO): 2 - 0,3

For the season ranking, not much changes at the top. GoblinSmashmaster holds the top spot still, with Wrath of Pie close behind.
    Noteworthy is the fact that square_two managed to overtake me, despite missing the first three rounds. So I'll be holding the red lantern for a while.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

We're getting into the new block structure now, with just two sets per block, so we're combining blocks in order to have a large enough card pool to keep things interesting.

Round 9 of 4CB Season 4, The Block Tour - part 2, has started. For this round we shall play Battle for Zendikar & Shadows over Innistrad block (Battle for Zendikar, Oath of the Gatewatch, Shadows over Innistrad, Eldritch Moon)!

I have PM'ed myself my deck for round 8, so you can start sending me your decks.

DEADLINE: Wednesday the 4th of December, at 11:00AM Central European Time.
    (That's my time. Pacific Time it'll probably be something like Tuesday night a bit past midnight, so keep that in mind.)

PLEASE NOTE:
    The way you send your deck to me matters. Please send it in the way described below, so it doesn't cost me an hour of editing before I can post all the decks.
    Please send your deck as follows: Plains, Nephalia Academy, Selfless Spirit, Not Forgotten (so with card tags around each card, and not above eachother), with your Username and 4CB S04R09 in the topic. Many of you already do this. Thanks a lot, this really saves me the time and hassle of copying and pasting text and tags!

After the deadline has passed, I will post all decks on the forum here, and you can start puzzling out your scores.
    If you have any questions, please read the first two posts of this thread first. If you can't find the answer there, drop a message here. We'll answer a.s.a.p.

Also, if you've been lurking on this thread and looking to join, you can step in anytime, any round. That's no problem at all. Just send me your deck before the deadline, and I'll add you to the competition.

Happy deck designing everybody!

I assume Expediitons aren't legal?

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

I assume Expediitons aren't legal?
    Indeed they are not.

If you use the Gatherer and enable the blocks we're playing, you'll get all legal cards. There are no Expeditions cards in the list.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Asthereal View Post
    Indeed they are not.

If you use the Gatherer and enable the blocks we're playing, you'll get all legal cards. There are no Expeditions cards in the list.
    Interestingly, they do show up when you search in Scryfall.

But they are a different situation than Time Spiral: Timeshifted. They are special foil promos and not printed in the majority of packs. Although they were Limited legal, they were not Block Constructed legal or Standard legal.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    Interestingly, they do show up when you search in Scryfall.

But they are a different situation than Time Spiral: Timeshifted. They are special foil promos and not printed in the majority of packs. Although they were Limited legal, they were not Block Constructed legal or Standard legal.
    Thanks for pointing this out. Could have caused confusion.

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

No reminder? i'll send you something tonight. or in 10 minutes... will see.

Thread Information