Thread: Chainwhirler and Planeswalkers

Is Cancer

Jul 2014

Chainwhirler and Planeswalkers

Goblin Chainwhirler states that it deals one to each opponent and each planeswalker they control (among other things.)

I can't find anything stating that direct damage to opponents can't be redirected still; so I believe Chainwhirler can hit a single opposing planeswalker for 2 damage by redirecting the one that would hit the opponent?

I checked the FAQ, did a search online, and was away from the game for ~15 months, so I'm just validating whether or not I missed a rules change or misunderstand the card.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nestalim View Post
    Wrong. Gideon Emblem protect you from losing and you can even open your binder and slam some cards on the board, not even the HJ can DQ you now.

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Re: Chainwhirler and Planeswalkers

They changed the rules so "each player" or "each opponent" damage could not be redirected. The Dragon Stompy friend was upset because it nerfed Fiery Confluence out of the game.
    Single target cards were errata'd to say "target player or planeswalker", but sweepers don't work like that no more.

EDIT Change happened in Dominaria
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Is Cancer

Jul 2014

Thanks!

That sounds about right. I was thinking they may have due to Chainwhirler's wording, then was also hearing about people bolting walkers still. A little sad, one of my first legacy fun-time cards was Plague Spitter, in part because if they responded with Lily, his trigger killed her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nestalim View Post
    Wrong. Gideon Emblem protect you from losing and you can even open your binder and slam some cards on the board, not even the HJ can DQ you now.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by PirateKing View Post
    They changed the rules so "each player" or "each opponent" damage could not be redirected. The Dragon Stompy friend was upset because it nerfed Fiery Confluence out of the game.
    Single target cards were errata'd to say "target player or planeswalker", but sweepers don't work like that no more.

EDIT Change happened in Dominaria
    It also nerfed Chandra cause her 2 damage mode no longer hit planeswalkers...

Thread Information