Thread: War of the Spark has 36 planeswalkers?

bruizar

War of the Spark has 36 planeswalkers?

The speculation right now is that the next set will feature 36 planeswalkers. I’m not gonna go into the storyline rumors because I dont want to spoil anything else, but how would 36 planeswalkers impact the format and which planeswalker are you most excited to see? I’m rooting for the Kenrith duo.

Here's the list via CptHaddock:

Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    You should have posted the stained glass op.

A. Garruk??
    B. Bolas
    C. Ashiok? Mu Yangling?
    D. Tezzeret?
    E. Domri (with a boar)
    F. Sorin?
    G. Ral
    H. Tamiyo
    I. Karn
    J. Jaya
    K. Tibalt
    L. No idea, Samut?
    M. Narset
    N. Nahiri
    O. Ugin
    P. DAVRIEL
    Q. Vraska
    R. Kaya
    S. Arlinn
    T. Ob
    U. Jiang Yanggu
    V. Huatli
    W. Sarkhan
    X. Saheeli
    Y. Kiora
    Z. Dack?
    1. Teferi
    2. Angrath?
    3. Dovin riding on a thopter???
    4. Ajani
    JACE. Jace
    6. Gideon
    7. Lil
    8. Nissa
    9. Chandra
    10. Vivien
    Last edited by bruizar; 02-17-2019 at 03:37 PM.

Re: War of the Spark has 36 planeswalkers?

Quote Originally Posted by bruizar View Post
    The speculation right now is that the next set will feature 36 planeswalkers. I’m not gonna go into the storyline rumors because I dont want to spoil anything else, but how would 36 planeswalkers impact the format and which planeswalker are you most excited to see? I’m rooting for the Kenrith duo.
    Probably has to be a really slow format, and I am not sure how they are going to pull of designing that many unique walkers, they have a hard enough time making every planeswalker unique and playable when they print less than 5 in a set. Maybe this will bring about more cards that interact with the card type.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

This sounds like a gigantic clusterfuck. Given that they're already planning to release PWs at rare according to Maro, at least that isn't a concern. Chances are we might see some reprints.

What concerns me more is the story implication - we have members of the Jacetice League and some walkers allied Bolas. Most of the other walkers should have zero reason to give a fuck about the events in Ravnica.

May 2016
    Seattle, WA

I think another interesting question would be what would a new format look like where all plainswalker cards are banned.

May 2015
    PDX

That would make for a pretty miserable limited experience (and also probably standard environment). If they really are going to print anywhere near that amount, one of them should be DRS.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Color me skeptical that 36 cards will have the Planeswalker type...

I'll guess 10 at most. We'll probably see a bunch of 'signature spells' with the Walker's name in it, or based on the possibility of Walker's losing their spark, Legendary creatures.

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

Finally we can get a reprint of tibalt that doesn't look like garbage!
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatDeleuzeGuy View Post
    I want to play as close to possible a 100% reactive deck that also approached 0% variance in how it played. I want to play magic with as little variance as possible. Also had a foiled out miracles deck that was an investment of about 6 grand that is now nearly worthless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    My original post did that.

I'd love to have a battle of wits with you but I see you lack the necessary equipment.

Good day.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    Color me skeptical that 36 cards will have the Planeswalker type...

I'll guess 10 at most. We'll probably see a bunch of 'signature spells' with the Walker's name in it, or based on the possibility of Walker's losing their spark, Legendary creatures.
    Same feeling about loosing their spark

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

bruizar

On a second thought I also think it will be a format with legendary creatures based on planeswalkers who have lost their spark. This means that we will have another legendary set. I'm gonna get a couple of Mox Ambers just in case.

Is Cancer

Jul 2014

I think there's a chance we'll see non-legendary planeswalkers who are cheap on mana with mediocre abilities. They have gone out of their way to screw with the typing system enough to do this and out of their way to make it so you can have tons of walkers for some reason. It may be that they want to ruin the game *just one last time*
    Quote Originally Posted by Nestalim View Post
    Wrong. Gideon Emblem protect you from losing and you can even open your binder and slam some cards on the board, not even the HJ can DQ you now.

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

You should have posted the stained glass op.

A. Garruk??
    B. Bolas
    C. Ashiok? Mu Yangling?
    D. Tezzeret?
    E. Domri (with a boar)
    F. Sorin?
    G. Ral
    H. Tamiyo
    I. Karn
    J. Jaya
    K. Tibalt
    L. No idea, Samut?
    M. Narset
    N. Nahiri
    O. Ugin
    P. DAVRIEL
    Q. Vraska
    R. Kaya
    S. Arlinn
    T. Ob
    U. Jiang Yanggu
    V. Huatli
    W. Sarkhan
    X. Saheeli
    Y. Kiora
    Z. Dack?
    1. Teferi
    2. Angrath?
    3. Dovin riding on a thopter???
    4. Ajani
    JACE. Jace
    6. Gideon
    7. Lil
    8. Nissa
    9. Chandra
    10. Vivien
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatDeleuzeGuy View Post
    I want to play as close to possible a 100% reactive deck that also approached 0% variance in how it played. I want to play magic with as little variance as possible. Also had a foiled out miracles deck that was an investment of about 6 grand that is now nearly worthless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    My original post did that.

I'd love to have a battle of wits with you but I see you lack the necessary equipment.

Good day.

bruizar

Thanks, edited. I'm missing Will & Rowan Kennrith and Daretti

Teyo Verada is a confirmed new planeswalker

"Teyo Verada wants nothing more than to be a shieldmage, wielding arcane energies to protect his people from his world’s vicious diamondstorms. When he’s buried alive in the aftermath of his first real tempest, the young mage’s life is about to end before it can truly begin—until it doesn’t. In a flash, a power he didn’t know he had whisks him away from his home, to a world of stone, glass, and wonder: Ravnica. Teyo is a Planeswalker, one of many to be called to the world-spanning city—all lured by Nicol Bolas, the Elder Dragon. Bolas lays siege to the city of Ravnica, hungry for the ultimate prize: godhood itself. His unparalleled magic and unstoppable army appear poised to bring the city to utter ruin.

Among those who stand in the way of Bolas’s terrifying machinations are the Gatewatch, Planeswalkers sworn to defeat evil, no matter where it’s found. But as they work to unite the other mages and mount a defense of the city and its people, the terrifying truth of Bolas’s plan becomes clear. The Elder Dragon has prepared a trap to ensnare the most powerful mages from across the Multiverse—and it’s too late to escape.

As forces great and small converge on the city and the battle rages, the stakes could not be higher. If the Gatewatch falters and the Planeswalkers fail, the curtain will fall on the age of heroes—and rise on the infinite reign of Nicol Bolas."
    Can only be cast from the graveyard like Haakon?

Return of trap cards?

Legendary Creature - Jace God ?

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by Fallen_Empire View Post
    I think another interesting question would be what would a new format look like where all plainswalker cards are banned.
    Old School.

Jul 2016
    Forever dark woods

I hope this is a joke.
    Same PW again and again and again. Do they really dont have ideas how to make a proper story without Old PW.

At the end i just want a non-blue and non-liliana PW playable in legacy. This will be nice.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

I wonder if we get any reverse Core-Flipwalkers.

Starts out as a Planeswalkers with only a 0 and - ability, and if you use the minus ability it flips into a legendary creature.

Seems like a good was to demonstrate 'losing a spark' in a functional way...

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    Seems like a good was to demonstrate 'losing a spark' in a functional way...
    Considering the whole Jacetice League thing started when WotC jumped on Marvel's superhero train, it seems like an odd coincidence to end the current Bolas saga exactly at the same time the current Marvel cinematic phase is ending with Avengers 4. Prelease is even on the same weekend as the cinematic opening, for fucks sake.

Makes you wonder what fad is WotC is copying next. Probably Battle Royal.

bruizar

Extinguish
    Sorcery BR
    Target planeswalker becomes a legendary creature with power and toughness equal to the number of loyalty counters on it and loses all abilities.

Lights out

Thread Information