Sphere of Safety
    Norn's Annex

+ active one of

Whipcorder
    Leonin Bola
    Puppet Strings
    Icy Manipulator
    Master Decoy

vs player2 with both, flying 15/15 annihilator 6 Emrakul and flying 20/20 Marit Lage token wanting to attack for the win, but having only mana resources to pay for 1 attacker. He pays for one. Is there a room to tap the attacker and avoid attack altogether, or player2 can re-choose and attack with one attacker, ie. the another, anyway?

Q2:
    Player A is the Monarch and has Solitary Confinement in play. He is attacked, combat damage is dealt, but prevented. Does he remain to be the Monarch?
    My decks from real paper cards:

[Modern] Green Deathtouch
    [Vintage] Suicide Red
    [Casual Legacy] Blood Bats
    [Legacy] White Suspend Aggro Control

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Re: Propaganda + Whipcorder, Monarch

Q1
    The payment is made during the declare attackers step at the same time you are declaring the attacker.
    Paying this cost is not an instant or any other kind of ability, it is an additional cost on the declaration of the attacker.

Tapping a creature needs to be done before combat, once the active player enters the declare attackers step, they declare their attackers at which point they are tapped (sans Vigilance) and attacking, so tapping them at that point doesn't remove them from combat. During their declare attackers step for each attaching creature they will need to pay the respective tax from the enchantment pertaining to combat.
    So practically, facing down a Emrakul and a Marit Lage, a single Propaganda and Icy Manipulator can't save you if they can pay the tax, ur ded.

Q2
    You need to deal actual damage in order to trigger things that deal damage, so yes the Monarch is safe under Solitary Confinement. Same is true if they get hit with an Ornithopter or something. Hitting someone fore 0 doesn't let you become the Monarch. You need to actually do damage.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Is Cancer

Jul 2014

Quote Originally Posted by PirateKing View Post
    Q2
    You need to deal actual damage in order to trigger things that deal damage, so yes the Monarch is safe under Solitary Confinement. Same is true if they get hit with an Ornithopter or something. Hitting someone fore 0 doesn't let you become the Monarch. You need to actually do damage.
    There's a funny exception I ran into yesterday for this:
    Solemnity

If you look at the rulings you still get your Life from Lifelink even though Infect/Wither can't use their effect; so while they deal no "damage" (lifeloss) and they also can't use their counters-effect of their damage, they (for some reason) get the benefit of lifelink or similar effects; notably Jitte or similar (extremely important) damage triggers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nestalim View Post
    Wrong. Gideon Emblem protect you from losing and you can even open your binder and slam some cards on the board, not even the HJ can DQ you now.

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Right, so a 10/10 Infect Lifelink hits a player, deals 10 damage (in the form of Poison counters) and gains 10 life because of lifelink. Then instead of putting 10 Poison counters on the player, you don't because of Solemnity.
    So you do deal damage, but if the damage is in the form of counters, then the effect isn't realized. Makes sense.

But if you hit an attacking Phage the Untouchable with a Downsize, you won't lose the game if it connects.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Thread Information