Thread: MYTHIC CHAMPIONSHIP London new mulligan rule test in Modern & Limited

Hybrid View

MYTHIC CHAMPIONSHIP London new mulligan rule test in Modern & Limited

For Mythic Championship II in London, we're going to be trying out a new mulligan rule that we have been playtesting internally for some time. We believe the new rule smooths out opening hand decisions even more, though it certainly has some implications for formats like Modern.

The rule we'll be testing in London is as such: When you mulligan for the Nth time, you draw seven cards, then put N cards on the bottom of your library in any order.

So, for example, let's say you're taking your second mulligan of a game, what we often call a mulligan to five. You would draw seven cards, select two, and place those two on the bottom of your library in any order. Then you would decide whether to keep or mulligan again.

While we have been testing this mulligan rule internally for a while, we are treating this tournament as a test. Once our game designers have reviewed the tournament, spoken to players, and looked at the data, we'll decide whether to implement the mulligan rule wider.

https://magic.wizards.com/en/article...est-2019-02-21

What could go wrong with that rule
    "Everything is better topless"

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Re: MYTHIC CHAMPIONSHIP London new mulligan rule test in Modern & Limited

Quote Originally Posted by l33twash0r View Post
    What could go wrong with that rule

I don't know, you still are way low on resources, but this does make A+B combo "easier" to find.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post

I don't know, you still are way low on resources, but this does make A+B combo "easier" to find.
    And also Force of Will + blue card will be easier to find.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

And also Force of Will + blue card will be easier to find.
    Naturally. It makes finding any disruption or sideboard cards easier. Which actually is a sort of nice change.

Could be that only Standard and Limited get this new rule ultimately though.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    Naturally. It makes finding any disruption or sideboard cards easier. Which actually is a sort of nice change.

Could be that only Standard and Limited get this new rule ultimately though.
    If it happens it will be for all formats. https://twitter.com/hipstersmtg/stat...610507264?s=21

Also they will look at cards that potentially will be broken https://twitter.com/hipstersmtg/stat...439525376?s=21

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

If it happens it will be for all formats. https://twitter.com/hipstersmtg/stat...610507264?s=21

Also they will look at cards that potentially will be broken https://twitter.com/hipstersmtg/stat...439525376?s=21
    Maybe instead of looking at cards that would be broken, look at the Mulligan rule to maybe being broken?
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Grenzo, Dungeon Warden is the only card I can think of that is a bottom of the library matters type of effect.

I thought Scry 1 did just fine though.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

May 2015
    PDX

Looks like it's time to pick up Cellar Door!

In all seriousness though, this rule probably isn't the healthiest thing in legacy with Ancient Tomb. Everyone's openers get better, and mulligan games become more competitive, but you're going to have to deal with a lot more TurboMoons and Chalice and opening hands with Chancellor. Increasing odds of finding openers with post-board hate also seems not exactly healthy. The losers here would be Mox Diamond decks I guess, since there's nothing great about keeping ramp in a hand with decreased card amount?

I was thinking more like belcher, where you can go off on like 4 cards..

But combo is gonna be a lot more playable, especially those t1 combos like Spanish Inquisition even

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Legacy decks: mono U painter, strawberry shortcake, imperial painter, solidarity, burn
    EDH decks: zedruu voltron, rakdos the defiler, persistent petitioners, blind seer

I wonder if there are any A+B hate piles like (Chancellor of the Spires/Archive Trap) + (Extirpate/Surgical Extraction) that make sense with the new mulligan.

Dredge is the canonical example of a deck that breaks traditional card economy, but there's other stuff like "pitch long", or decks that use Past In Flames or Ill-Gotten Gains that will too.

Winner: Tunnel Vision
    Loser: Spoils of the vault

The benefits to unplayable chunderbucket pile would be incredible !
    Quote Originally Posted by Laser Brains View Post
    With the printing of Gigantosaurus, Thrashing Brontodon and Steel Leaf Champion the deck has evolved from good to very competitive. Anyway, give it a few play tests if you are interested and let me know what you think.

Winter Maze
    Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    With veteran explorer I know that I 100% will not enjoy a 30 minute grindfest against someone who can barely afford dual lands and believes that their deck can cast a 10 mana 8/8.

Is Cancer

Jul 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Poron View Post
    It’s not an impact less change.

It helps combo a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    I echo others, this would be a terrible mulligan rule in Legacy as it massively boosts T1 combo stuff which would make the format very boring. The current mulligan rule is fine in Legacy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matsu View Post
    We had Combo Winter.

It is time to have Combo Summer. Welcome to the new metagame
    I just don't see it. They have a better chance of finding what they need, but midrange/delver has a better chance of finding Force, Leyline, Surgical, or w/e; and potentially multiples of it. Additionally it means less games where Fair decks mulling for hate end up with 0 lands or some such.

If they find their Moon more often but I find my Force more often, it seems to cancel out; but we'll be more likely to find enough lands to at least play the game. I hate when I or the opponent mull to nothing because RNG god decided we shouldn't find any lands in the first 3 hands.

I'd also point out that if this becomes the new norm; I would expect non-combo decks (and maybe combo?) to shave a land or so from basically all decklists; as you'll be more likely to get an opener with sufficient lands and mulligan to hands with sufficient lands. That's somewhat exciting really; because that means more gas/less dead draws (by a marginal percentage) for all decks. This seems all upside to me.

Lastly, and most importantly, it adds more meaningful choice to the game. The player is making more decisions and thus you lose less to RNG.

EDIT: I'd also mention that this probably "feels better" and if it messes with the meta-game that seems like a smaller deal (a less noticable problem) than people pointing out the same flaw the game has had for 25 years and it still feeling terrible. Much easier to keep "happy" players in the game
    Quote Originally Posted by Nestalim View Post
    Wrong. Gideon Emblem protect you from losing and you can even open your binder and slam some cards on the board, not even the HJ can DQ you now.

I think at the end of the day, it’s a good mulligan rule for lower power formats, and possibly format warping for higher power formats.

Deck construction for say standard wouldn’t change; but it’d warp deck construction for legacy and vintage. If I were on delver, I’d drop down to maybe even 17, 16 lands, drop some number of cantrips and go more disruption heavy. Mulligan rules shouldn’t warp the game of magic, I think.

But this Is all conjecture. We’ll see what actually happens before at least I’ll go up in arms about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Legacy decks: mono U painter, strawberry shortcake, imperial painter, solidarity, burn
    EDH decks: zedruu voltron, rakdos the defiler, persistent petitioners, blind seer

Thread Information