Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: MYTHIC CHAMPIONSHIP London new mulligan rule test in Modern & Limited

MYTHIC CHAMPIONSHIP London new mulligan rule test in Modern & Limited

For Mythic Championship II in London, we're going to be trying out a new mulligan rule that we have been playtesting internally for some time. We believe the new rule smooths out opening hand decisions even more, though it certainly has some implications for formats like Modern.

The rule we'll be testing in London is as such: When you mulligan for the Nth time, you draw seven cards, then put N cards on the bottom of your library in any order.

So, for example, let's say you're taking your second mulligan of a game, what we often call a mulligan to five. You would draw seven cards, select two, and place those two on the bottom of your library in any order. Then you would decide whether to keep or mulligan again.

While we have been testing this mulligan rule internally for a while, we are treating this tournament as a test. Once our game designers have reviewed the tournament, spoken to players, and looked at the data, we'll decide whether to implement the mulligan rule wider.

https://magic.wizards.com/en/article...est-2019-02-21

What could go wrong with that rule
    "Everything is better topless"

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Re: MYTHIC CHAMPIONSHIP London new mulligan rule test in Modern & Limited

Quote Originally Posted by l33twash0r View Post
    What could go wrong with that rule

I don't know, you still are way low on resources, but this does make A+B combo "easier" to find.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post

I don't know, you still are way low on resources, but this does make A+B combo "easier" to find.
    And also Force of Will + blue card will be easier to find.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

And also Force of Will + blue card will be easier to find.
    Naturally. It makes finding any disruption or sideboard cards easier. Which actually is a sort of nice change.

Could be that only Standard and Limited get this new rule ultimately though.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    Naturally. It makes finding any disruption or sideboard cards easier. Which actually is a sort of nice change.

Could be that only Standard and Limited get this new rule ultimately though.
    If it happens it will be for all formats. https://twitter.com/hipstersmtg/stat...610507264?s=21

Also they will look at cards that potentially will be broken https://twitter.com/hipstersmtg/stat...439525376?s=21

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Grenzo, Dungeon Warden is the only card I can think of that is a bottom of the library matters type of effect.

I thought Scry 1 did just fine though.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

If it happens it will be for all formats. https://twitter.com/hipstersmtg/stat...610507264?s=21

Also they will look at cards that potentially will be broken https://twitter.com/hipstersmtg/stat...439525376?s=21
    Maybe instead of looking at cards that would be broken, look at the Mulligan rule to maybe being broken?
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

What could be broken?

I've a hard time finding things that would be.
    Someone mentionned Dredge in a tweet, but dredge dredges from the graveyard to put cards from the TOP of the Library in the graveyard. Maybe it would be better cause you have a higher chance of finding a dredger but i don't see it as broken.

Grenzo? Not really broken to start with :) But yes the card would be better.

Maybe combos that need a card to be specifically in the Library to function? You could Mulligan to be sure to be able to put such card in the Library if it happens to be in your hand (Nahiri / emrakul perhaps, but how would it be broken?)

Help plz.

Quote Originally Posted by Tylert View Post
    What could be broken?

I've a hard time finding things that would be.
    Someone mentionned Dredge in a tweet, but dredge dredges from the graveyard to put cards from the TOP of the Library in the graveyard. Maybe it would be better cause you have a higher chance of finding a dredger but i don't see it as broken.

Grenzo? Not really broken to start with :) But yes the card would be better.

Maybe combos that need a card to be specifically in the Library to function? You could Mulligan to be sure to be able to put such card in the Library if it happens to be in your hand (Nahiri / emrakul perhaps, but how would it be broken?)

Help plz.
    Dredge in vintage with bazaar. Reanimator would be much more consistent. Anything that can win turn one with the right 4 cards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Laser Brains View Post
    With the printing of Gigantosaurus, Thrashing Brontodon and Steel Leaf Champion the deck has evolved from good to very competitive. Anyway, give it a few play tests if you are interested and let me know what you think.

Winter Maze
    Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    With veteran explorer I know that I 100% will not enjoy a 30 minute grindfest against someone who can barely afford dual lands and believes that their deck can cast a 10 mana 8/8.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by kinda View Post
    Dredge in vintage with bazaar. Reanimator would be much more consistent. Anything that can win turn one with the right 4 cards.
    Makes finding Leylines easier, although it is also effectively making you mulligan to N+1.

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

So we ill see more glass cannons decks in legacy and vintage? :)
    I guess this will be fine for wizard who doesn't care too much about htese formats :)

It’s not an impact less change.

It helps combo a lot.

they ignore eternal completely or just never learn that pressure towards T1 powerplays is bad, inconsistency is a key balance feature of deckbuilding and card/strategy power balance, this exchanges some fo the feelsbad moments being screwed or flooded for much more consistent T1 hyper (un)interactive feels bad... this changes the game significatly and in case of our format for the worse in G1s, T1 CotV, T1 combo, A+B combo (BR especially), everybody's favourite, more consistenct FoW, but decks with FoW do not have the initiative to mull for it unlike the T1s, and the decks that do cant defend themselves are severly disadvantaged... the answers in G2s are easier to find but so is the counterplay with pressure to win both G2/G3 .. I hope this will be a massive fail in modern so it wont get wide adopted end be reserved to limited (where it seems reasonable)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post

Jul 2016
    Forever dark woods

We had Combo Winter.

It is time to have Combo Summer. Welcome to the new metagame

I echo others, this would be a terrible mulligan rule in Legacy as it massively boosts T1 combo stuff which would make the format very boring. The current mulligan rule is fine in Legacy.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

It does help for combo decks to find their pieces, but it also allows for hate cards to be found much more easily.

I think it really helps decks that are a bit land-light find more reasonable opening hands. Mulling to 5 and losing b/c you had to keep a 1 land hand and never draw another are so painful for non-blue decks.

I think this also helps out decks like elves, which really only has 14 lands in the deck that do something on turn 1.

To me it's clearly a benefit for most decks, and more importantly reduces a lot of the opening hand variance which is probably painful to watch for streaming. (Arena)

People grumbled a lot with the introduction to Paris mulligans too, but the opening card 7 all land or no land rule sucked in hindsight.

I wouldn't be opposed to testing it.
    -rob

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

On the flip side, this really helps Lock style decks too. The issue with trying to get a good lock down is that you mull to 5 a ton to get that explosive first turn. Once at 5 your mana is likely to be unstable, dependent upon City and a Mox for example.

With this rule you can mull until your mana is strong and just play what you draw. Almost every spell is a must answer, Chalice, 3ball, Bridge, Stax, Karn... That you only need to find a few of them. Starting with 4 cards knowing your mana is on point is almost all you need.

Also, night night Vintage Dredge. There is no way you survive this.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

bruizar

I doubt bazaar gets the axe. They were already over 95% hitrate. This rule merely frees up 4 spots (serum powder). if anything, dredge decks will have to fight more consistent leylines

May 2015
    PDX

Looks like it's time to pick up Cellar Door!

In all seriousness though, this rule probably isn't the healthiest thing in legacy with Ancient Tomb. Everyone's openers get better, and mulligan games become more competitive, but you're going to have to deal with a lot more TurboMoons and Chalice and opening hands with Chancellor. Increasing odds of finding openers with post-board hate also seems not exactly healthy. The losers here would be Mox Diamond decks I guess, since there's nothing great about keeping ramp in a hand with decreased card amount?

Jul 2016
    Forever dark woods

I expect most of the decks will get a boost here. It will smooth a lot of hands.
    Especially for combo decks.

For me the biggest negative factor is cheat/abuse deck manipulation.

We saw plenty of magic trick last couple of years, but now with all the interaction before the game starts.
    Pre Paris Mull
    Shuffle +7
    Shuffle +6

Paris Mull
    Shuffle +7
    Shuffle +6 +scry 1

London Mull
    Shuffle +7
    Shuffle +6 + select a card + take your deck + put it under.

It starts to be very sketchy

Thread Information