Page 16 of 47 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Thread: Modern Horizons Spoilers

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Re: Modern Horizons Spoilers

Please take all talk of the Reserve list to another thread. Options of really shitty threads that no one gives a fuck about (so you can post shit there) include B/R and Bitching about buyouts thread.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Diabolic Edict got a reprint, just after they printed a better version last set.
    Geth's Verdict is about a decade old at this point, thank you very much!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    Here i am, sitting here thinking that this is a cute card with Cabal Therapist while you build your own Yawgmoth's Bargain. Pfft, whatever, lol. Do you think this will make the cut for zombardment?
    I think it's good enough there. Especially if they're still playing that WB enchantment.

Quote Originally Posted by BenBleiweiss View Post

Force of Despair

If it’s not your turn, you may exile a black card from your hand rather than pay this spell’s mana cost. Destroy all creatures that entered the battlefield this turn
    Maybe if it hit planeswalkers.
    Or if you cast it on your turn you could kill anything. White and Red have their work cut out for them if they want to be worse than this.

Lightning Skelemental
    BRR
    Skeleton Elemental
    6/1 Trample Haste
    When Lightning Skelemental deals damage to a player that player discards two cards.
    This is a card!

And now, the goose is loose in modern. (I think this set safely turns modern into legacy-lite)

Mar 2013

Red just needs to do unpreventable damage and it's gold. At least in my eyes. Gets around Mum and TNN. That would be fine.

White, a 3 mana Swords that you can cast for free wouldn't suck. Seeing as the decks that most often play with Swords either use their lands as a control element to attack others land base, or they are trying to hold up other interaction.
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Apr 2011
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by jmlima View Post
    And now, the goose is loose in modern. (I think this set safely turns modern into legacy-lite)
    And I'd guess most Modern players won't like it.

Quote Originally Posted by joven View Post
    And I'd guess most Modern players won't like it.
    If they give us dyrexian phrednought I'll be happy.

Ok, THIS one I'm excited about - an entire CYCLE of enemy-color Horizon Canopy!

what decks in Legacy would actually want these over other options, though?

Mar 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Bithlord View Post
    Land's makes use of Canopy already as a draw effect sometimes. Having the ability to switch to GU is not nothing. But it's not a home run.

I can imagine hyper-aggressive decks (Burn) would especially consider the Red ones, with Fireblast being the only drawback to running them.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by BenBleiweiss View Post
    with Fireblast being the only drawback to running them.
    And Price of Progress.

Those are going to be more relevant in Modern. For Legacy, we might see fringe uses here and there.

Mar 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    And Price of Progress.

Those are going to be more relevant in Modern. For Legacy, we might see fringe uses here and there.
    God yes, that GB one is going into The Rock for one. Burn will run the RW one. The RU one will get a hell of a lot of traction too.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

God yes, that GB one is going into The Rock for one. Burn will run the RW one. The RU one will get a hell of a lot of traction too.
    I just want to echo this post, I think you're spot on. These will replace some number of the fastlands (Spirebluff Canal, Blooming Marsh, etc.) to round out mana-bases in modern. With GB focusing so much on Tireless Tracker they now have an even better value/draw engine.

I'm still crossing my fingers for cycle lands like Tranquil Thicket et al.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

If you like you can think of these as cycling lands that have the drawback that they cost a land drop to cycle, but the up side that they come into play untapped, and that you can cycle them after using them as a land. I don't know how well it would work out in practice, but running 23 lands with 3 of these instead of 22 might be a way to mitigate flood/screw concerns. Trading life for tempo is often a good move in magic.

So we would expect these to have potential in decks that develop additional land drops (i.e. lists that run Manabond or Exploration) and ones that have trouble finding land/action balance (i.e. fast aggro).

These look really solid to me, but the fetch/dual stuff is stronger for reliable fixing. So these are probably more for 1 or 2 color decks where that's not so much of an issue and where the free shuffle + brainstorm/ponder isn't as big of a deal.

not fetchable, shock lands are still the second best duals around

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Munitions Expert BR
    Creature - Goblin
    Flash
    When Munitions Expert enters the battlefield, you may have it deal damage to target creature or planeswalker equal to the number of Goblins you control.
    1/1

Wizards really want Goblins to be a thing again

It's a very bad topdeck card and becomes irrelevant very quickly... doesn't help you deal with creatures already on board... Bad card.

Modern elves already have Ezuri who will just regenerate everybody else..

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Poron View Post
    not fetchable, shock lands are still the second best duals around
    Yeah, I mean, they are meant (especially in Legacy) to be utility lands, not replacement Duals.

Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    Munitions Expert BR
    Creature - Goblin
    Flash
    When Munitions Expert enters the battlefield, you may have it deal damage to target creature or planeswalker equal to the number of Goblins you control.
    1/1

Wizards really want Goblins to be a thing again
    It's only really a (bad) Modern version of Gempalm Incinerator so yeah, they are trying to make Goblins a thing, in Modern.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

A bunch of them. Being able to turn your mana flood into extra cards is incredibly useful.

Landtrips will see play in legacy. Decks can play 23 lands where 4 of them are these and not have to worry about getting mana screwed or mana flooded. More likely they will see play as 1-2 ofs in a bunch of legacy decks.

Thread Information