Page 17 of 47 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Thread: Modern Horizons Spoilers

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Re: Modern Horizons Spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    This is a card!
    Re: lightning skelemental, I may be blind. But I do not see the part about sacrificing it at turn’s end. They could not be that high, could they?
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    Re: lightning skelemental, I may be blind. But I do not see the part about sacrificing it at turn’s end. They could not be that high, could they?
    No, that clause is there, it would be sacrificed "at the beginning of the next End Step."
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hammer View Post
    A bunch of them. Being able to turn your mana flood into extra cards is incredibly useful.

Landtrips will see play in legacy. Decks can play 23 lands where 4 of them are these and not have to worry about getting mana screwed or mana flooded. More likely they will see play as 1-2 ofs in a bunch of legacy decks.
    D&T could already do that and they ran 1-2 copies at most. The life loss stacks up, even in decks that don't require life payments otherwise. And it's especially bad in multiples.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    D&T could already do that and they ran 1-2 copies at most. The life loss stacks up, even in decks that don't require life payments otherwise. And it's especially bad in multiples.
    Granted, I am a no one, with no results to speak of, but I always found the life loss from Canopy a massive liability in D&T because there are far more times where one needs to stabilize, in my experience, at a low life total, vs. times where exchanging a land-drop and "two" mana for a "cylce effect" is worth it. Again, strictly my opinion and I don't have any metrics to back that up.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

I played it as a one of in Maverick and it was fine. I think decks like GB Rock and Dead guy love these though. Not that those decks are remotely viable because they aren't blue
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    I played it as a one of in Maverick and it was fine. I think decks like GB Rock and Dead guy love these though. Not that those decks are remotely viable because they aren't blue
    Well, where it actually does fix mana, by offering access to both colors, the needle definitely moves. In a mono-color deck, to me, they are worse than basics in most cases.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

I played it as a one of in Maverick and it was fine.
    Maverick has KotR to fetch it, though. Big difference.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Maverick has KotR to fetch it, though. Big difference.
    Right. It was just to turn KOTR into a draw. I think non blue decks that couldnt use canopy for fixing will play these in some number
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Jul 2013
    Texas

This is probably the best printing DGA has had in years.

Canopy has always been a great card hamstrung by a few things:
    -Lack of GW decks
    -U+G/W decks having other draw engines available
    -G decks tending toward land toolboxes (depths, maverick) squeezing out room
    -W decks (D&T, stompy variants) running either a ton of other non-basics or cards like Ancient Tomb

The color combination matters. This taps for B on turn 1 so you can IoK/TS with it, then hymn them, then deploy a liliana. You can get the life back with equipment, or lifelink creatures, or whatever. You aren't leaning so heavily on Bob to draw extra cards. (Speaking of which, playing 4x life-sucking lands is the definition of greatness at any cost). I'm super excited to work with it.

Similarly RW getting this kind of effect is nuts but R is getting a lot of draw these days.

One place the black force would really shine in Legacy that isn't getting mentioned much is vs. Dredge. They can do their "make a bunch of dudes" plan, and you can wipe the board on their turn. Same with Phoenix decks. I think this card is better/has more uses that it's getting credit for.

Jul 2013
    Texas

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    One place the black force would really shine in Legacy that isn't getting mentioned much is vs. Dredge. They can do their "make a bunch of dudes" plan, and you can wipe the board on their turn. Same with Phoenix decks. I think this card is better/has more uses that it's getting credit for.
    trouble with that is all their dudes turn into more dudes thanks to bridge. I think black force is basically sb reanimator hate but it still gets duressed. too bad they didn't think of something else but hey, what can you do

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    trouble with that is all their dudes turn into more dudes thanks to bridge. I think black force is basically sb reanimator hate but it still gets duressed. too bad they didn't think of something else but hey, what can you do
    Yeah, the trouble is, vs Reanimator they likely still get value off whatever they brought back. And vs. Phoenix or Dredge, they likely just do it all again next turn.

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    ... I think this card is better/has more uses that it's getting credit for.
    Is there any tap out aggro deck that could use it to stop the opponent from stabilizing?

<sarcasm>Is it there to enable twin unbans?</sarcasm>

Not Legacy playable, but this is such a mish-mash of abilities.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by BenBleiweiss View Post
    Not Legacy playable, but this is such a mish-mash of abilities.
    Well, it does make Thopter Found/Sword of the Meek go infinite (in fact, actually, infinite in two ways). I like it for EDH, but 4 mana is a ton for a competitive format.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Ok. Fuck it. Time to settle in and build U Stax.

At the very least that's a card in Modern Whir.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Ok. Fuck it. Time to settle in and build U Stax.

At the very least that's a card in Modern Whir.
    You can even do stuff like (not in Modern) tap your Winter/Static Orb as well. I enjoy the very "Johnny" nature of this card.

The "Timmy" me realizes full well that 4 mana in Blue is just JTMS territory in Legacy though.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Yea, you can play better Blue cards, but it's Stax. If you wanted to play good cards you would play something better, like Nourishing Lich.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Yea, you can play better Blue cards, but it's Stax. If you wanted to play good cards you would play something better, like Nourishing Lich.
    I get it. I just realized as well that since this thing goes infinite and makes infinite mana with ThopterSword, you can literally play your entire deck and make as many tokens as you want, plus as much life as you want. Pure nonsense, I love it.

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

Collected conjuring look playable in some jank list, collected company for spells sounds abusable. Suspend spells, tinker for vintage, show and tell for legacy etc...

Thread Information