Page 22 of 47 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast

Thread: Modern Horizons Spoilers

Re: Modern Horizons Spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post

Suggested ways to abuse, Venser and Kaya.
    Doubling seasons and all the ultimate (Ugin and so on) that allow you to draw.
    The usual red rampage package will then suffice to fuel that

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    You'd also get to search up a Rowan too, if you want to. Not sure she is much worth it though.
    Quick ruling question - can you chain them? Like, can you sneak in the brother, get the sister, sneak in the sister, get another copy of the brother, repeat? If so, you can get lots of cards that way and basically eliminate all colorless mana costs of all your spells. You need a ton of mana to get it started though . . .

Jul 2013
    Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    As a painter player, I'm intrigued. Now mono red can maybe have a good enough tutor engine that I don't feel dumb for not running ETutor
    This seems really good in painter unless I'm missing something. Tutors both halves of the combo, enables the grindstone/painter swap trick just like Welder, can tutor silver bullets for certain MUs (grafdigger's cage, thorn off the top of my head), makes Mox Opal/artifact lands a lot better. 2 toughness, doesn't fizzle if the artifact in play is killed in response to activation. gets around chalice etc. I like it quite a bit.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    Quick ruling question - can you chain them? Like, can you sneak in the brother, get the sister, sneak in the sister, get another copy of the brother, repeat? If so, you can get lots of cards that way and basically eliminate all colorless mana costs of all your spells. You need a ton of mana to get it started though . . .
    I think so.

702.123f "Partner with [name]" is a variant of the partner ability. "Partner with [name]" represents two abilities. One is a static ability that modifies the rules for deck construction. Rather than a single legendary creature card, you may designate two legendary creature cards as your commander if each has a "partner with [name]" ability with the other's name. You can't designate two legendary cards as your commander if one has a "partner with [name]" ability and the other isn't the named card. The other ability represented by "partner with [name]" is a triggered ability that means "When this permanent enters the battlefield, target player may search their library for a card named [name], reveal it, put it into their hand, then shuffle their library."
    It's just a trigger upon entering the battlefield, so I don't see why it wouldn't work.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Quote Originally Posted by Poron View Post
    Doubling seasons and all the ultimate (Ugin and so on) that allow you to draw.
    The usual red rampage package will then suffice to fuel that

Some planeswalkers can be blinked right? (with their own ability) is this worth it, didn't want to look on gatherer.
    -rob

however Show and Tell into Griselbrand is still the dumbest move ever

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    Some planeswalkers can be blinked right? (with their own ability) is this worth it, didn't want to look on gatherer.
    Venser, the Sojourner
    Aminatou, the Fateshifter
    Kaya, Ghost Assassin

Are the three, I'm pretty sure. Vensor is the best, because you could keep one, then use it to keep any other 'walker you bring in, plus it actually does other relevant things and is easier to cast in case you need to.

May 2015
    PDX

Finally some nice Dreadnought/Stifle cards, even got a playable Trinket Mage with stack control (even though it's white). Also guys stop blinking PWs (the self blinkers aren't even red), this card is all about Stifle.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    It can get Ballista and Walker, plus has modular to feed them when it eats itself later to get another.
    A fun line will be to have this eat itself to search for another copy of itself.
    Hardened Scales is already a centerpiece of an affinity variant in Modern, this seems to supercharge it in a big way. If Arcbound Worker is good enough for that deck than this new card will be fantastic.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

You know, when Morophon, the Boundless was spoiled, the scrub in me thought "this would be really good in a Sliver deck"
    Now we see The First Sliver, and the scrub in me is strong.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    Hardened Scales is already a centerpiece of an affinity variant in Modern, this seems to supercharge it in a big way. If Arcbound Worker is good enough for that deck than this new card will be fantastic.
    Well, I'm not sure just based off the fact that Worker is played. I mean, maybe, but the Arcbound Worker is only in there because there aren't any better 1-drops and the deck need some sort of "velocity."

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by PirateKing View Post
    You know, when Morophon, the Boundless was spoiled, the scrub in me thought "this would be really good in a Sliver deck"
    Now we see The First Sliver, and the scrub in me is strong.
    Why not just put Morophon into play with Goblin Lackey or Warren Instigator?

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Well, I'm not sure just based off the fact that Worker is played. I mean, maybe, but the Arcbound Worker is only in there because there aren't any better 1-drops and the deck need some sort of "velocity."
    All I mean is this: if a 1-drop with modular is good enough for Hardened Scales than a 3-drop with modular that tutors up key cards is definitely going to be good enough. Tutoring Walking Balllista/Hangarback Walker while supporting those synergies will be bonkers for that deck.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Venser, the Sojourner
    Aminatou, the Fateshifter
    Kaya, Ghost Assassin

Are the three, I'm pretty sure. Vensor is the best, because you could keep one, then use it to keep any other 'walker you bring in, plus it actually does other relevant things and is easier to cast in case you need to.
    Aminatou can't target herself, so only two.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by PirateKing View Post
    Aminatou can't target herself, so only two.
    Right, you'd need to have her in play already, then use it on some other 'walker put in, or just double activate the the Accomplice. She does allow double activation of that Planeswalker as well, but I think it' still pretty obviously worse. Even Venser is probably not "Legacy competitive" good, but I guess maybe Modern possibly?

I'm really happy with this set so far. Seems like the new team they have really understands some things about the game. Standard is another example of the recent improvements - the format was so shitty for so long - now there are actually a nice variety of decks to play with and against. WOTC is hitting a bunch of home runs lately.

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    I'm still sad that they've had not one, but two werewolf sets and we've got like, half of one playable card out of it.
    The whole design of flip werewolves is a flop for competitive play. You are an aggro deck that has to take a turn off in order to have your cards be useful. Just doesn't work really. They either have to get a new design in for them or give basically all of them flash.

Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    Getting rituals and Past In Flames for R could help a lot with that. Or you can ramp with Chandra and Koth.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    Getting rituals and Past In Flames for R could help a lot with that. Or you can ramp with Chandra and Koth.
    Or you can just play janky four-card infinite combos

Thundering Djinn is unplayably expensive, but it's flavor text is definitely for us older players:
    It strikes like a bolt from a brainstorm.

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Thundering Djinn is unplayably expensive, but it's flavor text is definitely for us older players:
    It's potentially a monster in limited. Love the flavor text

Thread Information