Page 30 of 47 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132333440 ... LastLast

Thread: Modern Horizons Spoilers

May 2015
    PDX

Re: Modern Horizons Spoilers

Sometimes you just want to know what is going on over at R&D. You want to make a Sword of "Truth and Justice." You know it will be played by Vial decks. You have Sword that gives Proliferate...in a deck with Vial....so that they can cheat out uncastable cmcs. This is "Truth and Justice" how exactly. It's fascinating.

Quote Originally Posted by Final Fortune View Post
    This set is starting to feel like Urza's Saga all over again, I can't believe how many outright good cards are being released at once and there are cards left to go ...
    I was legit just about to post: make the art and frame more aesthetic, and overlooking the lack of a cool single setting and story, and this feels like Urza's Saga.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Vial? Although at an activation cost of , it competes with Walking Ballista.

Edit: Aside from being Pro Miracles, what are applications for the new sword? I feel like between Thrummingbird, Guildpact Informant, Grateful Apparition and this, there might be a critical mass reached to support cards like Parallax Wave/Tide, Tangle Wire or just good ol' Walking Ballista. Supercharging Planeswalkers or Jitte might also work.
    Last edited by Barook; 05-24-2019 at 08:18 PM.

Dec 2010
    Montreal

Quote Originally Posted by Zombie View Post
    Just a note, unless I'm misunderstanding Hexdrinker, you have to be able to protect it until you get the level ups resolved, since those are normal activated abilities and use the stack so it's not quite a turbo-Mongoose even if it is probably good for taking Goyf's job.
    It's also a 2/1 on T1 in a Delver deck so it can dish out some damage quickly. Having to spend another 3 mana to make it a 4/4 Mongoose is pretty reasonable. The super TNN mode is relevant in a board stall.
    Do you know what assuming does? It makes an ass out of you and me.
    Get it...? Ass, u, me?

... ffs I was trying to be funny...

Mar 2007

Between Scrapyard Recombiner and Sword of Truth of Justice, isn't that a major boost to Hardened Scales Affinity?

I'm loving Modern Horizons, maybe the best MTG set since Time Spiral. I love the power level, I love the creativity, I love all the call backs to older cards/sets. I just have one request WOTC. Just one thing to make this set the complete love letter to MTG that it should be. Can I get a new Smallpox type card for my Pox deck? If WOTC is going to make any more Pox type cards, it has to be in a non-standard set. Come on Wizards...

Jul 2016
    Forever dark woods

Quote Originally Posted by BenBleiweiss View Post
    I call it. This card will go in every Robots deck in all formats.
    This with ballista, ravager, hardened scale, all the modular crits. Omg, it might push Legacy Steel Stompy and Modern Green Robots over the top. I do not know anything about the Vintage meta, but with Workshops it is even better. Mono Brown is coming back

I am curious if Goblins will adapt Sling Gang lieutenant in their shell as a way to gun dont your opponent bypassing the attack step.

This set starts to be one of the best set since i restarted playing MtG in Khans. Like many people mentioned, it reminds me my Favorite set and block, Urza's Saga. They should release a special edition of this with the old layout just for the Lulz. That will be amazing.

edit: I just realize the Sword has protection from D&T, KotR, Delver and TNN. Super strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post

Vial? Although at an activation cost of , it competes with Walking Ballista.

Edit: Aside from being Pro Miracles, what are applications for the new sword? I feel like between Thrummingbird, Guildpact Informant, Grateful Apparition and this, there might be a critical mass reached to support cards like Parallax Wave/Tide, Tangle Wire or just good ol' Walking Ballista. Supercharging Planeswalkers or Jitte might also work.
    That card is a wet dream for Stompy decks and if there isn't a Deep Anal powered Madness deck waiting to happen then I will be damned.

Nov 2007
    Germany, RLP, KO

Quote Originally Posted by Final Fortune View Post
    That card is a wet dream for Stompy decks and if there isn't a Deep Anal powered Madness deck waiting to happen then I will be damned.
    I combos and curves nicely with Trash for Treasure and Goblin Welder.

Mar 2007

New Sword:

Not too shabby.

May 2015
    PDX

I would not want to get Mind Slaver'd with that sword.

I really hope they didn't waste five rares on a new cycle of swords.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    I really hope they didn't waste five mythics on a new cycle of swords.
    Fixed that for you. Yeah curious if they'll just throw in a full sword cycle or slowly trickle them in. Also this is maybe good? The protections are pretty good, but the abilities seem useless somewhat often
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

The allied swords have a lot of relevant protections to them vs the metagame, I mean G/W vs BANT and U/B vs Grixis should be decent with even marginal abilities?

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    Fixed that for you. Yeah curious if they'll just throw in a full sword cycle or slowly trickle them in. Also this is maybe good? The protections are pretty good, but the abilities seem useless somewhat often
    The full cycle of swords will not be in this set: https://markrosewater.tumblr.com/pos...d-sword-of-and

Wow. So much to unpack in this set.
    - 'Pathy' on MTGO
    - Eastern PA player

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Seeing this set is the first time that ive ever really considered getting into modern. Apparently wotc can still produce good cards, they’ve just chosen not to for like 15 years.

I think

Morophon, the Boundless

Is one of the underrated cards feom the set. Im really psyched about it, and I think it had alot of potential, just not sure how to abuse it. It’s a very high cmc for legacy but can easily be cheated into play with a goblin lackey or something. Didgeridoo even. Maybe with 2 and 3 cmc humans that dont have generic mana in costs.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

Quote Originally Posted by apple713 View Post
    Apparently wotc can still produce good cards, they’ve just chosen not to for like 15 years.
    Imagine if Hasbro hadn't bought WotC in 1999.

If they keep up the standards set by War of the Spark and Modern Horizons I may start buying packs again.

Site Contributor
    May 2013
    Virginia

Only notable because it's a new storm card even though it's the top notch of the Storm Scale. Maybe one day we'll get a new dredger in a non-Standard set.

Instant
    You gain 3 life.
    Storm

Thread Information