Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 584

Thread: Modern Horizons Spoilers

  1. #61

    Re: Modern Horizons Spoilers

    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Blood View Post
    How is that a bad thing? If (and big if) they make Modern play like legacy (as you're suggesting) you end up with a significantly larger player-base playing the same format for 1/3 of the price.

    I wouldn't be surprised if in 5 year the eternal formats are Vintage, Modern (with loads of the legacy cards being printed into the format), Arena Modern.
    this is exactly what will happen

  2. #62

    Re: Modern Horizons Spoilers

    Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    I'm hoping for Goblin Lackey and Goblin Matron/Goblin Ringleader. That *might* get me to completely switch to Modern...
    Is it post our wishlist time?
    A nearly functional reprint of Phyrexian Dreadnought
    Stifle
    Grim monolith
    The abolishment of the reserved list
    And then actual Phyrexian Dreadnought.

  3. #63

    Re: Modern Horizons Spoilers

    Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    The sacrifice, the naming, and the discard are all done during resolution, not when put on the stack.
    It uses the new Hypothesizzle templating (can't remember the technical name for these triggers)
    1. Therapist ability triggers
    2. Ability resolves, you may sacrifice a creature
    3. Second half of therapist ability triggers, choose target player, opp can respond
    4. Resolves, name a card

    If it said "if you do" rather than "when you do" then you would have to choose a target when you put the 'sacrifice a creature' ability on the stack, and once that resolved you would name a card and discard without any player having a chance to respond

  4. #64
    Is Cancer

    Join Date

    Jul 2014
    Posts

    1,144

    Re: Modern Horizons Spoilers

    I just realized that it's super strange for them to put "at the beginning of your precombat main phase."

    The only reason I could see them doing that instead of upkeep (where things like this belong) is to make it better with vial?
    Is there some other upkeep thing I'm missing that would make him super OP?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nestalim View Post
    Wrong. Gideon Emblem protect you from losing and you can even open your binder and slam some cards on the board, not even the HJ can DQ you now.

  5. #65
    Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Dice_Box's Avatar
    Join Date

    Mar 2013
    Location

    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.
    Posts

    4,795

    Re: Modern Horizons Spoilers

    Quote Originally Posted by tescrin View Post
    I just realized that it's super strange for them to put "at the beginning of your precombat main phase."

    The only reason I could see them doing that instead of upkeep (where things like this belong) is to make it better with vial?
    Is there some other upkeep thing I'm missing that would make him super OP?
    I think it's to make his effect feel more like a Sorcery. To fit with the card it's a reference to.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

  6. #66

    Re: Modern Horizons Spoilers

    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    I think it's to make his effect feel more like a Sorcery. To fit with the card it's a reference to.
    Maybe,
    It also lets you choose what to name after you see what you drew for the turn, so it's a slight buff in that sense

  7. #67

    Re: Modern Horizons Spoilers

    You people forget that Counterspell embodies everything that led WoTC to the foundation of Modern in the first place, i.e. people getting mad when they get their stuff countered efficiently but who are completely fine as long as their Grizzly Bears gets discarded or doombladed. I don't think that a modern-legal Counterspell reprint is likely.

  8. #68

    Re: Modern Horizons Spoilers

    Quote Originally Posted by Erdvermampfa View Post
    You people forget that Counterspell embodies everything that led WoTC to the foundation of Modern in the first place, i.e. people getting mad when they get their stuff countered efficiently but who are completely fine as long as their Grizzly Bears gets discarded or doombladed. I don't think that a modern-legal Counterspell reprint is likely.
    A format where blue is not dominant and where dual lands are not around?

    Sounds like a piace where we want to be

  9. #69

    Re: Modern Horizons Spoilers

    Quote Originally Posted by Poron View Post
    A format where blue is not dominant and where dual lands are not around?

    Sounds like a piace where we want to be
    But for a format with blue not to be dominant... you have to ban all the combo cards out of existence. And in a format where combo is not a thing, aggro and tempo decks thrive pushing out control decks. In short, you get standard. Mostly creature decks, a little of slow combo, and no real control decks. The reason I play legacy is that decks that revolve around more than just attacking with creatures are what interest me. I love non creature based combo, I love control and prison decks, etc. The majority of MtG players just want, t1 play dude, t2 attack with dude, gameplay. Easy mechanics, simple fast gameplay. I don't. That is why I play legacy. I will not play modern. And if they kill legacy, I am done with Magic.

  10. #70
    Member

    Join Date

    Apr 2011
    Location

    Germany
    Posts

    310

    Re: Modern Horizons Spoilers

    Quote Originally Posted by Erdvermampfa View Post
    You people forget that Counterspell embodies everything that led WoTC to the foundation of Modern in the first place, i.e. people getting mad when they get their stuff countered efficiently but who are completely fine as long as their Grizzly Bears gets discarded or doombladed. I don't think that a modern-legal Counterspell reprint is likely.
    I agree. I think WotC once said they don't want full counter spells for UU (or less) in the future, including Modern. It was around the time Modern was established.
    It doesn't matter if Blue is dominating in the format or not. People tend to complain when Blue is dominating.

    Also, wouldn't reprinting stuff like Counterspell, Daze and Force of Will just wreck the whole children combo shenanigans that is going on in Modern that Modern players love so much? Same goes for Cryptic Command, which could loose a lot of its playability. I imagine Modern players wouldn't like that.
    And it would be sad if Modern would lose its identity (even for me who doesn't like Modern).

  11. #71

    Re: Modern Horizons Spoilers

    Quote Originally Posted by kombatkiwi View Post
    It uses the new Hypothesizzle templating (can't remember the technical name for these triggers)
    1. Therapist ability triggers
    2. Ability resolves, you may sacrifice a creature
    3. Second half of therapist ability triggers, choose target player, opp can respond
    4. Resolves, name a card

    If it said "if you do" rather than "when you do" then you would have to choose a target when you put the 'sacrifice a creature' ability on the stack, and once that resolved you would name a card and discard without any player having a chance to respond
    Triggered abilities can have triggered abilities now? (Reflexive triggers, was the word you were looking for)
    Guess I'm just old now but I think these new cards are incredibly powerful and that they're templated to be even stronger based on realitively new rule changes just makes it more aggravating. Why does it have menace? Why does Serra only need one tic?

  12. #72
    Member

    Join Date

    May 2015
    Location

    PDX
    Posts

    1,061

    Re: Modern Horizons Spoilers

    I think Serra is fine making Worship a slightly more playable card. I'm less of a fan of 4 mana Serra angel with second angel in 2 turns; still I think Gideon probably continues to see more play. The pillow fort (i.e. Worship) stuff doesn't make for great magic though; kinda need cards more cards around that drain life....like say DRS.

  13. #73
    Member

    Join Date

    Oct 2012
    Location

    Italy
    Posts

    317

    Re: Modern Horizons Spoilers

    Cabal therapist needed t be a goblin. it would have made the deck tier 2/1,5 i think. It's exactly what the deck needed, a one mana play that lets you have a chance against combo decks.

    Being a horror it is mostly unplayable i think. A one mana 1/1 isn't going to cut it in legacy if it doesn't have tribal synergies. It's cool with token producers or creatures that come back from the yard, but i don't see decks that would want to adopt it, or new archetypes that it could spam.

  14. #74
    Member
    Mr. Safety's Avatar
    Join Date

    Nov 2010
    Location

    New Gloucester, Maine, USA
    Posts

    3,889

    Re: Modern Horizons Spoilers

    Quote Originally Posted by LeoCop 90 View Post
    Cabal therapist needed t be a goblin. it would have made the deck tier 2/1,5 i think. It's exactly what the deck needed, a one mana play that lets you have a chance against combo decks.

    Being a horror it is mostly unplayable i think. A one mana 1/1 isn't going to cut it in legacy if it doesn't have tribal synergies. It's cool with token producers or creatures that come back from the yard, but i don't see decks that would want to adopt it, or new archetypes that it could spam.
    I disagree on 2 specific points:
    1) it should have been a zombie, it fits flavor-wise and mechanically with recursive zombies, ie: Gravecrawler
    2) its playable for sure. Where? I don't know for certain but i know it will be tried in DGA alongside lingering souls. A menace 1 drop for equipment with relevant disruptive ability? Its a DGA players wet dream.
    I am counted amongst legions of the unrighteous
    who dread not being immersed in pits of fire

  15. #75

    Re: Modern Horizons Spoilers

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    I disagree on 2 specific points:
    1) it should have been a zombie, it fits flavor-wise and mechanically with recursive zombies, ie: Gravecrawler
    2) its playable for sure. Where? I don't know for certain but i know it will be tried in DGA alongside lingering souls. A menace 1 drop for equipment with relevant disruptive ability? Its a DGA players wet dream.
    In my Smallpox deck, Therapist is pretty good out of the sideboard. Vs combo decks like Tendrils or High Tide board out 4 Innocent Blood board in 4 Therapist.

  16. #76
    It's not easy being green

    Join Date

    Jul 2010
    Posts

    1,631

    Re: Modern Horizons Spoilers

    Quote Originally Posted by LeoCop 90 View Post
    Cabal therapist needed t be a goblin. it would have made the deck tier 2/1,5 i think. It's exactly what the deck needed, a one mana play that lets you have a chance against combo decks.

    Being a horror it is mostly unplayable i think. A one mana 1/1 isn't going to cut it in legacy if it doesn't have tribal synergies. It's cool with token producers or creatures that come back from the yard, but i don't see decks that would want to adopt it, or new archetypes that it could spam.
    You misspelled "green Elf" :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear
    (On Innistrad)
    Yeah, an insanely powerful block which put the "derp!" factor in Legacy completely over the top.

  17. #77
    Is Cancer

    Join Date

    Jul 2014
    Posts

    1,144

    Re: Modern Horizons Spoilers

    Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Triggered abilities can have triggered abilities now? (Reflexive triggers, was the word you were looking for)
    Guess I'm just old now but I think these new cards are incredibly powerful and that they're templated to be even stronger based on realitively new rule changes just makes it more aggravating.
    I guess. You can still just stifle the second trigger if you're worried about it; I am pretty sure it's actually weaker because you sac your guy before you get the trigger. This means you are paying the "additional cost" of sac'ing a guy before you get to name a card; much like how Cabal Therapy requires a cost before you get to name a card (and can be countered after they lose their dude.)

    Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Why does Serra only need one tic?
    This is simply just your memory. It actually used to be a lot more common to only require one tick to threaten: Garruk Wildspeaker, Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas, Elspeth Tirel, Tezzeret the Seeker, and others; all within the first couple sets of having planeswalkers.

    The weirder "0 tick ultimates" came along (Kira, Gideon/Trails) but those seemed sufficiently low power level to not be a problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nestalim View Post
    Wrong. Gideon Emblem protect you from losing and you can even open your binder and slam some cards on the board, not even the HJ can DQ you now.

  18. #78

    Re: Modern Horizons Spoilers

    Quote Originally Posted by tescrin View Post
    I guess. You can still just stifle the second trigger if you're worried about it; I am pretty sure it's actually weaker because you sac your guy before you get the trigger. This means you are paying the "additional cost" of sac'ing a guy before you get to name a card; much like how Cabal Therapy requires a cost before you get to name a card (and can be countered after they lose their dude.)
    or they get their own exit the battlefield triggers to resolve before you name anything.

    This is simply just your memory. It actually used to be a lot more common to only require one tick to threaten: Garruk Wildspeaker, Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas, Elspeth Tirel, Tezzeret the Seeker, and others; all within the first couple sets of having planeswalkers.
    Other than Garruk whose ultimate is "overrun" two of those are from mirrodin besieged which was three blocks later. So I'm not sure what your point is here.

  19. #79

    Re: Modern Horizons Spoilers

    Is it grammatically okay for Serra not to have a comma after her name?
    "I made a Redguard that looks like Kimbo Slice. He wrecks peoples' shit. And dragons." - Bignasty197

  20. #80
    Is Cancer

    Join Date

    Jul 2014
    Posts

    1,144

    Re: Modern Horizons Spoilers

    Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Other than Garruk whose ultimate is "overrun" two of those are from mirrodin besieged which was three blocks later. So I'm not sure what your point is here.
    You realize that Mirrodin besieged is like.. 8 years old right? If you're talking about "new design" and it was done in the first printing of planeswalkers then it's just an incorrect assertion. To show it wasn't a 1-off, I showed that they continued using that design (eight years ago) on several other walkers; of which I don't think I supplied an exhaustive list.

    Your point was that this new-fangled design is ruining the game or some such; my point is that that premise is fundamentally proven wrong by simply showing you that that design has existed for the entirety of planeswalker's existence as a card type.

    NOTE: I'm happy to instead take that Planeswalkers are ruining the game or some such; as I still have friends who pretty much quit a casual game if they see one resolve haha
    Quote Originally Posted by Nestalim View Post
    Wrong. Gideon Emblem protect you from losing and you can even open your binder and slam some cards on the board, not even the HJ can DQ you now.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 11 users browsing this thread. (1 members and 10 guests)

  1. Turboninja